Is azithromycin OK for men with chlamydia?
I am a 25 year old male and I just found out my ex gave me chlamydia months ago. The only way I found out is because the girl I date now gets check-ups every 3 months. Will two tablets of azithromycin 500mg cure this STD?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Nov 22, 2018.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Protection) recommends the antibiotic azithromycin (Zithromax) 1 gram orally as a single dose for the treatment of the sexually transmitted disease chlamydia. Antibiotic treatment almost always works if you and your partner take the medicines as directed.
In most cases, the infection resolves within one to two weeks.
CDC recommends that you should abstain from sexual activity for 7 days after single dose antibiotics.
A follow-up evaluation can be done in 3 to 4 weeks to see if the infection has been cured.
Related Drug Information
- Azithromycin Information for Consumers
- Azithromycin Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Azithromycin (detailed)
Other Medical Questions
- Can you drink alcohol with Z-Pak?
- Zithromax Z-Pak - can Tums (antacids) be taken with Z-Pak?
- Azithromycin - Can I drink a glass of wine at night if I have taken the medicine in the day?
- Azithromycin - can you cut the pill in half?
- Taking azithromycin for chlamydia, how long to clear infection?
- What is the recommended treatment and dose for chlamydia?
- Was azithromycin in my system long enough to treat chlamydia after throwing up?
- How long does azithromycin stay in your system after you finish taking it?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat strep throat?
- What antibiotics are used to treat chlamydia and gonorrhea?
- What antibiotics are used to treat pneumonia?