Taking azithromycin for chlamydia, how long to clear infection?
After taking four 250mg of antibiotics for chlamydia how long does it take for the infection to clear?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Nov 6, 2018.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
In most cases, the infection resolves within one to two weeks of treatment.
CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Protection) recommends azithromycin (Zithromax) 1 gram orally as a single dose for the treatment of the sexually transmitted disease Chlamydia. Antibiotic treatment almost always works if you and your partner take the medicines as directed.
CDC recommends that you should abstain from sexual activity for 7 days after single dose antibiotics.
A follow-up evaluation can be done in 3 to 4 weeks to see if the infection has been cured.
For more information see: https://www.drugs.com/health-guide/chlamydia.html
Related Medical Questions
- Can you drink alcohol with Z-Pak?
- Zithromax Z-Pak - can Tums (antacids) be taken with Z-Pak?
- Azithromycin - Can I drink a glass of wine at night if I have taken the medicine in the day?
- Azithromycin - can you cut the pill in half?
- Is azithromycin OK for men with chlamydia?
- What is the recommended treatment and dose for chlamydia?
- Was azithromycin in my system long enough to treat chlamydia after throwing up?
- Azithromycin Information for Consumers
- Azithromycin Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Azithromycin (detailed)