How to use the Ajovy autoinjector?
The Ajovy single-dose autoinjector is given as a subcutaneous injection (under the skin). You can learn to give yourself this injection to help prevent migraine headaches. Your healthcare provider can show you how to prepare and inject your dose of Ajovy (fremanezumab-vfrm) before the first dose. Ajovy also comes in a single-dose prefilled syringe.
Always follow an aseptic technique for each injection. This technique will be taught to you by your doctor or other healthcare provider. The injections are administered subcutaneously in the abdomen (stomach) area, thigh, or upper arm.
Steps to use the Ajovy Autoinjector
- Use Ajovy exactly as your doctor or other healthcare provider tells you how to use it.
- Take your autoinjector out of the refrigerator for 30 minutes and let it come to room temperature.
- Do not inject Ajovy if you see particles in the solution or if it’s cloudy or discolored. Do not shake your autoinjector or syringe.
- Uncap the autoinjector: With one hand, firmly pull the cap straight off the autoinjector (don’t twist) and throw the cap away immediately.
- Place the autoinjector at a 90° angle against your skin at your chosen injection site. (see a diagram here)
- Press down on the autoinjector. You will hear a click. This means the injection has started and you should see the blue plunger move down. You will hear a second click. Remove the autoinjector 10 seconds after you hear the second click.
- The Ajovy Autoinjector is for single (one-time) use only. After use, dispose in an FDA-approved sharps disposal container, not in your household trash. Keep out of the reach of children and pets at all times.
- Read the full "Instructions for Use" supplied with your autoinjector for more detailed steps or ask your healthcare provider. If you cannot find your "Instructions for Use", ask your pharmacist for a copy.
How does Ajovy come?
The Ajovy single-dose autoinjector or prefilled syringe contains 225 mg of fremanezumab-vfrm per 1.5 mL solution.
- The autoinjectors are supplied from the pharmacy as a pack of one autoinjector or three autoinjectors.
- The prefilled syringe comes in a pack of one syringe.
Ajovy can be given on two different schedules: either 225 mg injected once every month or Ajovy 675 mg injected once every 3 months. Your healthcare provider will tell you how much Ajovy to use and when to use it.
If you are prescribed the Ajovy 675 mg dose every 3 months, you must use 3 separate autoinjectors or 3 separate syringes. This means you will give 3 separate injections one time every 3 months. If you are giving 3 injections of Ajovy for your prescribed dose, you may use the same injection area for all 3 injections, but not in the same exact spot.
Do not inject Ajovy in the same injection site that you inject other medicines.
What is an autoinjector?
An autoinjector is a medical device that usually contains one prefilled dose of medicine in a spring-loaded syringe. These devices were developed to allow patients or caregivers to self-inject their own medicine more conveniently at home or if traveling.
You can learn to give yourself the medicine from this device and most patients find them easy to use. Many patients prefer autoinjectors over single use prefilled syringes as they are easier to use and may cause less hesitation. Your doctor or other healthcare provider can still administer your dose if needed.
How do I throw away Ajovy?
Throw away (dispose of) your Ajovy autoinjector or syringe immediately after each injection in a sharps disposal container (or puncture-resistant container). Do not throw away prefilled autoinjectors or syringes in your household trash. Keep Ajovy out of the reach of small children and pets.
In addition, do not throw away your used sharps disposal container in your household trash. Check with your local trash removal services or health department for safe sharps disposal programs in your area.
Can Ajovy be left out of the refrigerator?
Yes, you can store Ajovy for up to 7 days at room temperature (up to 86°F or 30°C). Do not use your Ajovy if it has been at room temperature for 7 days or longer. Once it is stored at room temperature do not put it back in the refrigerator.
You can also store Ajovy in the refrigerator between 36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C). Prior to use, remove Ajovy from the refrigerator and allow it to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. This helps to reduce discomfort when injecting. Do not put Ajovy in the sunlight, or use hot water or a microwave to warm the injections.
Do not freeze Ajovy. If it freezes, throw it away in a sharps disposal container.
When kept refrigerated as directed, you can store your Ajovy until the expiration date marked on the product.
Can I switch my dose schedule with Ajovy?
Yes, you can usually switch your dose schedule from once a month to every 3 months (quarterly), or vice versa, if needed and approved by your doctor.
If you are switching your dose schedule from one time every month to one time every 3 months, or if you are switching from one time every 3 months to one time every month, give the first dose of the new regimen for Ajovy on the day it was due to be given on your old schedule (the next scheduled date of administration).
What if I miss my dose of Ajovy?
If you miss a dose of Ajovy, take it as soon as possible. If you need to take the dose late, you will need to change your schedule.
- If you take 225 mg dose every month, inject your next dose 1 month after the late dose.
- If you take 675 mg of Ajovy, inject your next dose 3 months after the late dose.
- If you have questions about your schedule or missing doses, ask your healthcare provider.
Does Ajovy prevent or treat migraines?
Ajovy (fremanezumab-vfrm) is a medicine used to help prevent migraine headache attacks in adults 18 years of age and older. It is not used to treat a migraine headache that is already occurring.
Migraine headaches cause a painful throbbing sensation in one area of the head. You may also experience symptoms like nausea, vomiting or sensitivity to light and sound.
Ajovy is classified as a calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) inhibitor. It works by binding to the calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) ligand to help block the action of CGRP protein that can lead to a migraine headache pain.
Related: List of CGRP inhibitors
This is not all the information you need to know about Ajovy for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full Ajovy information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Ajovy (fremanezumab-vfrm) [product information]. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. Revised 10/2020. Accessed Feb. 24, 2021 at https://www.ajovy.com/globalassets/ajovy/ajovy-pi.pdf
- Ajovy.com. Autoinjector instructions. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc. Accessed Feb 24, 2021 at https://www.ajovy.com/autoinjector
Related medical questions
- Does Ajovy cause weight gain?
- How long does it take for Ajovy to start working?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment of migraines?
- How does Ajovy work for migraines?
- Ajovy vs Aimovig: What's the difference between them?
- What is the cost of the migraine drug Ajovy?
- What type of drug is Ajovy?
- How do you use the migraine drug Ajovy?