How do you use the migraine drug Ajovy?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Oct 21, 2019.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
Ajovy is given as a subcutaneous injection (under the skin) via a prefilled syringe either once a month, or once every three months. It can be self-administered after training by your health care provider.
Ajovy (fremanezumab-vfrm) is a long-acting injectable migraine preventive for adults that targets the calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) and prevents receptor site binding.
There are two dosing options:
- 225 mg subcutaneous (under the skin) injection once every month
- 675 mg subcutaneous injection once every 3 months (quarterly).
If you use the 675 mg dose, you will use 3 separate injections one after another, using a different prefilled syringe for each injection. Ajovy is refrigerated, so wait for 30 minutes to allow the medicine to reach room temperature before injecting. You will use these injections once every 3 months.
Ajovy can be injected in the abdomen (stomach area), thigh, or upper arm.
How do you store Ajovy?
- Store Ajovy in the refrigerator between 36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C) in its original carton; do not shake Ajovy before injection and do not freeze.
- Ajovy can be left out of the refrigerator for only 24 hours; after 24 hours throw away Ajovy in a sharps container.
For additional information (including Instructions for Use at the bottom of the page), see Ajovy Injection information for professionals.
Related Medical Questions
- What type of drug is Ajovy?
- What is the cost of the migraine drug Ajovy?
- What are the new drugs for the treatment and prevention of migraine?
- How do you use Onzetra Xsail?
- Dysport vs Botox: What's the difference?
- How does Aimovig work to prevent migraine?
- What are the side effects of beta blockers?