Amlodipine / atorvastatin and Alcohol / Food Interactions
There are 3 alcohol/food/lifestyle interactions with amlodipine / atorvastatin which include:
amLODIPine ↔ multivitamins with minerals
Moderate Drug Interaction
Using amLODIPine together with multivitamin with minerals can decrease the effects of amLODIPine. Talk with your doctor before using amLODIPine and multivitamin with minerals together. You may need a dose adjustment or need your blood pressure checked more often if you take both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.
atorvastatin ↔ food
Moderate Food Interaction
Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.
GENERALLY AVOID: Coadministration with grapefruit juice may increase the plasma concentrations of atorvastatin. The proposed mechanism is inhibition of CYP450 3A4-mediated first-pass metabolism in the gut wall by certain compounds present in grapefruit. When a single 40 mg dose of atorvastatin was coadministered with 240 mL of grapefruit juice, atorvastatin peak plasma concentration (Cmax) and systemic exposure (AUC) increased by 16% and 37%, respectively. Greater increases in Cmax (up to 71%) and/or AUC (up to 2.5 fold) have been reported with excessive consumption of grapefruit juice (>=750 mL to 1.2 liters per day). Clinically, high levels of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitory activity in plasma is associated with an increased risk of musculoskeletal toxicity. Myopathy manifested as muscle pain and/or weakness associated with grossly elevated creatine kinase exceeding ten times the upper limit of normal has been reported occasionally. Rhabdomyolysis has also occurred rarely, which may be accompanied by acute renal failure secondary to myoglobinuria and may result in death.
ADJUST DOSING INTERVAL: Fibres such as oat bran and pectin may diminish the pharmacologic effects of HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors by interfering with their absorption from the gastrointestinal tract.
MANAGEMENT: Patients receiving therapy with atorvastatin should limit their consumption of grapefruit juice to no more than 1 liter per day. Patients should be advised to promptly report any unexplained muscle pain, tenderness or weakness, particularly if accompanied by fever, malaise and/or dark colored urine. Therapy should be discontinued if creatine kinase is markedly elevated in the absence of strenuous exercise or if myopathy is otherwise suspected or diagnosed. In addition, patients should either refrain from the use of oat bran and pectin or, if concurrent use cannot be avoided, to separate the administration times by at least 2 to 4 hours.
- Richter WO, Jacob BG, Schwandt P "Interaction between fibre and lovastatin." Lancet 338 (1991): 706
- McMillan K "Considerations in the formulary selection of hydroxymethylglutaryl coenzyme a reductase inhibitors." Am J Health Syst Pharm 53 (1996): 2206-14
- Boberg M, Angerbauer R, Fey P, Kanhai WK, Karl W, Kern A, Ploschke J, Radtke M "Metabolism of cerivastatin by human liver microsomes in vitro. Characterization of primary metabolic pathways and of cytochrome P45 isozymes involved." Drug Metab Dispos 25 (1997): 321-31
- "Product Information. Lipitor (atorvastatin)." Parke-Davis, Morris Plains, NJ.
- Lilja JJ, Kivisto KT, Neuvonen PJ "Grapefruit juice increases serum concentrations of atorvastatin and has no effect on pravastatin." Clin Pharmacol Ther 66 (1999): 118-27
- Bailey DG, Malcolm J, Arnold O, Spence JD "Grapefruit juice-drug interactions." Br J Clin Pharmacol 46 (1998): 101-10
- Neuvonen PJ, Backman JT, Niemi M "Pharmacokinetic comparison of the potential over-the-counter statins simvastatin, lovastatin, fluvastatin and pravastatin." Clin Pharmacokinet 47 (2008): 463-74
amLODIPine ↔ food
Minor Food Interaction
Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed.
For clinical details see professional interaction data.
amlodipine / atorvastatin drug Interactions
There are 820 drug interactions with amlodipine / atorvastatin
amlodipine / atorvastatin disease Interactions
There are 9 disease interactions with amlodipine / atorvastatin which include:
- Cardiogenic Shock/Hypotension
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Liver Disease
- Liver Disease
- Cognitive Impairment
- Renal Disease
Drug Interaction Classification
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.