Matzim LA Dosage
Generic name: DILTIAZEM HYDROCHLORIDE 120mg
Dosage form: tablet, extended release
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Matzim® LA extended-release tablets are an extended release formulation intended for once-a-day administration.
Patients controlled on diltiazem alone or in combination with other medications may be switched to Matzim® LA extended-release tablets once-a-day at the nearest equivalent total daily dose. Higher doses of Matzim® LA extended-release tablets once-a-day dosage may be needed in some patients. Patients should be closely monitored. Subsequent titration to higher or lower doses may be necessary and should be initiated as clinically warranted. There is limited general clinical experience with doses above 360 mg, but the safety and efficacy of doses as high as 540 mg have been studied in clinical trials. The incidence of side effects increases as the dose increases with first-degree AV block, dizziness, and sinus bradycardia bearing the strongest relationship to dose.
The tablet should be swallowed whole and not chewed or crushed.
Dosage needs to be adjusted by titration to individual patient needs. When used as monotherapy, reasonable starting doses are 180 to 240 mg once daily, although some patients may respond to lower doses. Maximum antihypertensive effect is usually observed by 14 days of chronic therapy; therefore, dosage adjustments should be scheduled accordingly. The dosage range studied in clinical trials was 120 to 540 mg once daily. The dosage may be titrated to a maximum of 540 mg daily.
Matzim® LA extended-release tablets should be taken about the same time once each day either in the morning or at bedtime. The time of dosing should be considered when making dose adjustments based on trough effects.
Dosage for the treatment of angina should be individualized based on response. The initial dose of 180 mg once daily may be increased at intervals of 7 to 14 days if adequate response is not obtained. Matzim® LA doses above 360 mg appear to confer no additional benefit.
Matzim® LA can be given once daily, either in the evening or in the morning.
Concomitant Use with Other Cardiovascular Agents
- Sublingual NTG. May be taken as required to abort acute anginal attacks during diltiazem hydrochloride extended-release therapy.
- Prophylactic Nitrate Therapy. Diltiazem hydrochloride extended-release tablets may be safely coadministered with short-and long-acting nitrates.
- Beta-blockers. (See WARNINGS and PRECAUTIONS.)
- Antihypertensives. Matzim® LA has an additive antihypertensive effect when used with other antihypertensive agents. Therefore, the dosage of diltiazem hydrochloride extended-release tablets or the concomitant antihypertensives may need to be adjusted when adding one to the other.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Matzim LA (diltiazem)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: calcium channel blocking agents