Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 14, 2023.
The recommended dose of ERLEADA is 240 mg administered orally once daily. Swallow the tablets whole. Do not crush or split tablets. ERLEADA can be taken with or without food.
Patients should also receive a gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) analog concurrently or should have had a bilateral orchiectomy.
If Grade 3 or greater adverse reactions, or other intolerable adverse reactions occur, withhold ERLEADA. Consider permanent discontinuation of ERLEADA for Grade 3 or 4 cerebrovascular and ischemic cardiovascular events [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)] . Permanently discontinue ERLEADA for confirmed SCARs or for other Grade 4 skin reactions [see Warnings and Precautions (5.5) and Adverse Reactions (6.1)] . For other adverse reactions, when symptoms improve to less than or equal to Grade 1 or original grade, resume ERLEADA at the same dose or a reduced dose (180 mg or 120 mg), if warranted.
Alternate Methods of Administration
Disperse 240 mg Tablet in Water and Administer with Orange Juice, Applesauce, or Additional Water
For patients who cannot swallow the tablet whole, the recommended dose of one ERLEADA 240 mg tablet can be dispersed in non-carbonated water and then administered with either orange juice, applesauce, or additional water as follows:
- Place the whole ERLEADA 240 mg tablet in a cup. Do not crush or split the tablet.
- Add about 2 teaspoons (10 mL) of non-carbonated water to make sure that the tablet is completely immersed in water.
- Wait 2 minutes until the tablet is broken up and spread out, then stir the mixture.
- Add 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of either orange juice, applesauce, or additional water and stir the mixture.
- Swallow the mixture immediately.
- Rinse the cup with enough water to make sure the whole dose is taken and drink it immediately.
Do not store ERLEADA that is mixed with non-carbonated water, orange juice, or applesauce for later use.
Administer 240 mg Tablet Through a Feeding Tube
ERLEADA 240 mg tablet can be administered through a feeding tube 8 French or greater as follows:
- Place one 240 mg tablet in the barrel of the syringe (use at least a 20 mL syringe) and draw up 10 mL of non-carbonated water into the syringe.
- Wait 10 minutes and then shake vigorously to disperse contents completely.
- Administer immediately through the feeding tube.
- Refill the syringe with non-carbonated water and administer. Repeat until no tablet residue is left in the syringe or feeding tube.
Administer 60 mg Tablets with Applesauce
For patients who have difficulty swallowing tablets whole, the recommended dose of ERLEADA 60 mg tablets may be mixed in applesauce.
- Mix whole ERLEADA 60 mg tablets in 4 ounces (120 mL) of applesauce by stirring. Do not crush or split the tablets.
- Wait 15 minutes, stir the mixture.
- Wait another 15 minutes, stir the mixture until tablets are dispersed (well mixed with no chunks remaining).
- Using a spoon, swallow the mixture right away.
- Rinse the container with 2 ounces (60 mL) of water and immediately drink the contents. Repeat the rinse with 2 ounces (60 mL) of water a second time to ensure the whole dose is taken.
Consume the mixture within one hour of preparation. Do not store ERLEADA that is mixed with applesauce.
Frequently asked questions
- Erleada vs. Xtandi: What's the difference?
- How long do you have to take Erleada (apalutamide) for?
- How effective is Erleada (apalutamide)?
- What type of prostate cancer is Erleada used to treat?
More about Erleada (apalutamide)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (7)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- During pregnancy
- FDA approval history
- Drug class: antiandrogens
- En español
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.