Adzenys XR-ODT Dosage
Generic name: Amphetamine 3.1mg
Dosage form: tablet, orally disintegrating
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 22, 2020.
Prior to treating patients with ADZENYS XR-ODT, assess for the presence of cardiac disease (i.e., perform a careful history, family history of sudden death or ventricular arrhythmia, and physical exam) [see Warnings and Precautions (5.2)].
Assess the risk of abuse prior to prescribing, and monitor for signs of abuse and dependence while on therapy. Maintain careful prescription records, educate patients about abuse, monitor for signs of abuse and overdose, and periodically re-evaluate the need for ADZENYS XR-ODT use [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1), and Drug Abuse and Dependence (9)].
Dosing Considerations for All Patients
ADZENYS XR-ODT may be taken with or without food. Individualize the dosage according to the therapeutic needs and response of the patient.
ADZENYS XR-ODT should be taken as follows:
- The tablet should remain in the blister pack until the patient is ready to take it.
- The patient or caregiver should use dry hands to open the blister.
- Tear along the perforation, bend the blister where indicated and peel back the blister's labeled backing to take out the tablet. The tablet should not be pushed through the foil.
- As soon as the blister is opened, the tablet should be removed and placed on the patient's tongue.
- The whole tablet should be placed on the tongue and allowed to disintegrate without chewing or crushing.
- The tablet will disintegrate in saliva so that it can be swallowed.
The recommended starting dosage is 6.3 mg once daily in the morning. Increase in increments of 3.1 mg or 6.3 mg at weekly intervals. The maximum recommended dose is 18.8 mg daily for patients 6 to 12 years, and 12.5 mg daily for patients 13 to 17 years [see Use in Specific Populations (8.3), Clinical Studies (14)].
Switching from Other Amphetamine Products
Patients taking ADDERALL XR may be switched to ADZENYS XR-ODT at the equivalent dose taken once daily [see Clinical Pharmacology (12.3)]. Refer to Table 1 for equivalent doses of ADZENYS XR-ODT and ADDERALL XR. ADDERALL XR (dextroamphetamine sulfate, dextroamphetamine saccharate, amphetamine aspartate monohydrate, and amphetamine sulfate extended-release capsules) is also referred to as mixed salts of a single-entity amphetamine product extended-release capsules (MAS ER).
Amphetamine extended-release orally disintegrating tablets
|3.1 mg||6.3 mg||9.4 mg||12.5 mg||15.7 mg||18.8 mg|
Mixed salts of a single-entity amphetamine product extended-release capsules (MAS ER)
|5 mg||10 mg||15 mg||20 mg||25 mg||30 mg|
Do not substitute for other amphetamine products on a milligram-per-milligram basis because of different amphetamine base compositions and differing pharmacokinetic profiles [see Warnings and Precautions (5.7)].
Dosage Modifications Due to Drug Interactions
Agents that alter urinary pH can impact urinary excretion and alter blood levels of amphetamine. Acidifying agents (e.g., ascorbic acid) decrease blood levels, while alkalinizing agents (e.g., sodium bicarbonate) increase blood levels. Adjust ADZENYS XR-ODT dosage accordingly [see Drug Interactions (7.1)].
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Adderall vs Vyvanse - What's the difference between them?
- Is Adzenys XR-ODT the same as Adderall XR?
- Concerta vs Adderall - What's the difference between them?
- What exactly is Captagon and why was it banned?
- How is Adzenys ER different to other brands of amphetamine?
More about Adzenys XR-ODT (amphetamine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 50 Reviews
- Drug class: CNS stimulants
- FDA Approval History