User Reviews for Zoledronic acid to treat Prevention of Osteoporosis

Also known as: Reclast, Zometa, Aclasta

Zoledronic acid has an average rating of 4.3 out of 10 from a total of 15 ratings for the treatment of Prevention of Osteoporosis. 27% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 60% reported a negative effect.

Zoledronic acid Rating Summary

4.3/10 average rating

Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Prevention of Osteoporosis.

Reviews for Zoledronic acid

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2021

Reclast (zoledronic acid): “My mother is very healthy at 83. She takes only one medication for reflux, has full mental capacity and above-average strength. She had one infusion resulting in severe bone/joint pain, high fever, complete incoherence, a cough, dizziness, and ocular palsy. C-19 was ruled out, as were other diagnoses. After eight months, some of these symptoms continue. Since this Rx is supposed to be given in a series of three, the full effectiveness will not be realized since she obviously will not be getting the remaining two infusions. Do not, under any circumstances, inject this stuff into your body. Find some alternative therapies and supplements instead.”

Joni · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2019

Reclast (zoledronic acid): “HORRIBLE!! The injection itself was a piece of cake and first night zero problems. Night #2 started off with some muscle aches. NBD (no big deal), the doctor warned of flu like symptoms. The aches got worse as the evening progressed. I got up as I was feeling very restless, when I touched the floor I realized I was FREEZING COLD! The coldest I have ever felt in my life. At the same moment starting with my feet I had severe muscle cramping up the entire length of my body. I was scared to death! I thought I was having a stroke or something as I lost complete control of my body. I lay back down and willed myself not to pass out. I’m not sure whether I did or not! Several hours later I was able to get up and take some Motrin to help with the muscle pain. Semi normal by morning, but completely freaked out! Now several weeks later I am having massive hair loss! This drug SUCKS!”

Luna November 22, 2019

Reclast (zoledronic acid): “On 11/13/2019 I had ReClast infusion . Today is 11/22/2019....... I have had body/bone pain, aches, malaise, fatigue , chills , and diarrhea, since the infusion . Starting yesterday severe lower abdominal cramps, not eating......having abdominal ultrasound next week. Effectiveness of this drug is NOT worth the pain and misery, and won’t know for a year if it helps. #NEVER AGAIN! Think twice before you do it!”

Annie · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2020

Reclast (zoledronic acid): “I received Reclast infusion on December 26, 2019 for osteopenia. The next night I awoke with a terrible headache & was unable to ignore it. I took a pain reliever & slept for 4 hrs only to awaken again in severe head pain. The next day I still felt truly horrible. I went to the ER because it was a Saturday where I had an X-ray of my neck & the ER dr gave me 4 trigger point injections of lidocaine in the base of my skull. Still fighting pain! Additional trigger point injections. When does it end? A month so far of pain. Don’t do it!!”

Melissa July 26, 2020

Reclast (zoledronic acid): “Just had my first Reclast infusion on July 23,2020. Just getting out of bed for the first time in 3 days I have side effects of the worst pain ever in my bones and my head, hands , back ! I felt like every bone in my body was punched, kicked and crushed . I could feel each bone ache individually ( if that makes sense ) Headache was so bad I got sick . However, day 3 is the magic number and I am feeling much better ;). It has been very bad , but I have made it through with lots of rest laying in bed watching movies. I think for me it was worse then chemo yuck feeling . *** don’t know how effective until next year”

NoReclast! · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2018

Reclast (zoledronic acid): “1st infusion of Reclast has left me feeling fatigued with terrible pain and swelling in hands, especially thumb joints that is not improving after nearly two weeks along with overall body aches and pains, headache and difficulty sleeping . I would never consider taking this drug again!”

Chrissy · Taken for less than 1 month November 18, 2019

Reclast (zoledronic acid): “Had the Reclast infusion on November 16, 2019. Seemed fine after the infusion but the next day woke up with every joint hurting. Couldn't hardly stay awake all day. Severe chills and then a 100.5 fever. Took Tylenol and alternated with Ibuprofen. Nauseated and no desire to eat. Had to force myself to drink. Day 3 started with rosy cheeks and still have them on day 4. Looks like a butterfly Lupus rash. Headache for about 24 hours. Neck is still a little sore but luckily the hips don't hurt as bad. Also had stomach pain and seem very bloated. I don't think I will do this again. Just hope no other symptoms come along as some of these posts talk about.”

Andy · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 24, 2019

Reclast (zoledronic acid): “I had the reclast infusion done in Oct 2017. I recently had my repeat bone scan and my osteopenia has improved significantly in the two years since. My PA didn't see any urgent need for me to have the infusion again although where I am on prednisone 10 mg every day, its recommended and since I did not have any post infusion side effects, I'm eager to have it again. I'm 68 and I have never broken a bone (yet) lets keep it that way!”

Nomansland June 18, 2020

“I used this drug zoledronic 3 months ago recommended by endocrinologist for mild hypercalcemia due to vitamin D overdose! The first day was ok but then have got 3 days of fever, malaise, tightness in the chest and neck pain followed with tachycardia for which I got medication. Thought I’ve passed the side effects! In the week 3 got tooth pain and hypersensitivity which continued to the present time ! After a month got dizziness for about 6 weeks or so! Now it has been a months since I started having bone , joint and muscle pain all over and stiffness in fingers. Can’t walk normally because of plantar foot and finger toes joint pain and my left ankle hurts much , my wrists got weak and have forearm pain! This is so potent drug that will take you away from normal life for months! Never use this drug if it would be a substitute for that ! I still pay for what I’ve done and think gonna be lasted ! Hope not to have its serious side effects ! The drug is a real junk!”

Julia · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2018

“Wednesday I had an zoledronic acid infusion. That night I had a hundred and two fever and chills and everything ache from my bones to my muscles. By Friday morning I was having seizures on the floor of my kitchen, I woke up in time to watch my body flopping around like a fish! It soon stopped and I got up off the floor and walk to my husband's condo which is three steps away, I told him I don't feel very well and immediately did a face-plant in his dining room! I hate this stuff, my jaw is locked and eyes are fuzzy off and on! Time will tell what other damage will have been done...”

halfadime7 · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2017

Reclast (zoledronic acid): “Less than 36 hrs after my first Reclast infusion I began shivering violently for over 2 hrs. Then I spiked a temp of 102.7. Within 24 hrs that had gone. Day 4 post infusion my left arm, wrist and hand began to hurt. This was the arm I received the infusion in. Now it has been 8 days since the infusion and each day the pain gets worse in my arm and hand. When I awaken the entire area is swollen and so painful even a sheet touching my fingertips brings excruciating pain. 2 extra strength Tylenol last about one hour. 4 Ibuprofen last about the same. Aleve (Naproxen) will last about 6 hrs. 2 Tylenol #3 gives relief for about 2 hrs. The pain and swelling have traveled up my arm, into my upper arm above the elbow.”

Animal lover · Taken for less than 1 month November 25, 2019

“Had my injection at the end of October 2019 that evening had severe chills, headache, bone pain and vomiting with no appetite. Symptoms lasted about 4 days with bone pain a little better it’s been a month still have bone pain, very weak, and tired hate the way I feel not sure if I’m going to do it again. I also had blurred vision with my eye lids becoming so dry and itched severely”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 24, 2017

Reclast (zoledronic acid): “(FOR MALE JUVENILE OSTEOPOROSIS) While this medicine did seem to increase my bone density in the long run, the night after caused far more pain then the injury that fractured my spine, though this could be on account of my age. PLEASE be sure to check with your doctor over how it may effect you. That being said, calcium supplements and medication over a longer period of time also helped, even without a second Reclast treatment.”

Nan Kivi January 4, 2018

“Next day after injection I could not lift simple light items, lean forward, bend over all due to pain in my chest. Every breath hurt. Saturday woke up in tears to the same breath pain and still couldn't lift anything. Sunday felt confused, major headache on left side started (same side as injection). By Sunday night my breathing only hurt on a deep breath, but left eye socket pain started along with headache. Monday still severe eye socket pain and headache, woke up to eye swollen shut. Doctor said to go to ER and they admitted me for 2 days, eye swollen shut, bright red in a large area around eye. They wrote it off as Cellulitis, but I had no pain due to the redness and white blood cells never elevated showing I was fighting infection”

Karen March 25, 2018

“I am taking this drug to help my bones because of the drug letrizole I am on. Have stage 1 breast cancer with radiation and partial mastectomy. Very small tumor removed. No lymph node involvement. This drug made me so sick. 102 fever chills and depression. When does the depression go away. Miserable”

Solly · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2018

“I had my first infusion of Zoledronic acid on 15/6/18. Everything was fine until about 7pm when the pain hit me and I couldn’t move. I was told I would have flu like symptoms but it was far worse than that. I couldn’t sleep or get comfortable in bed because of the pain. The next day was even worse and by the 17th my husband rang the 24 hour helpline I was told that the pain was normal and to ring 111 for stronger painkillers from the out of hours doctor. The doctor phoned and told me I may have high calcium levels and I needed to go to A and E for urgent blood tests. I did this and all the tests came back normal I was given stronger painkillers and told if the pain got worse to see my GP. It is day 6 now and the pain has eased but not gone. I have no energy, very tired and feel this has put my recovery from Breast cancer back months. I am now uncertain as to whether I will be having another infusion.”

newcalann · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 12, 2012

Reclast (zoledronic acid): “I used Reclast for two years, and each year experienced sudden severe hair loss about 4 1/2 to 5 months after injection. My dermatologist and oncologist concluded Reclast was responsible.”

Anonymous August 26, 2009

Reclast (zoledronic acid): “I had good results after one year on Reclast from 3.5 down to 2.3”

riverwitch October 24, 2011

Reclast (zoledronic acid): “After a year on Reclast, my bone scan results are: -3.7 to -2.5 so yay it's working for me!”

Breezzy · Taken for less than 1 month October 29, 2015

Reclast (zoledronic acid): “The 45 minute infusion was a piece of cake.Take my calcium and vitamin D faithfully as you need it for the reclast to work. No side effects,no pain. ”