User Reviews for Xylometazoline nasal to treat Nasal Congestion

Brand names: Balminil Nasal Decongestant, Triaminic Decongestant Spray Nasal & Sinus Congestion 4-Way Moisturizing Relief

Xylometazoline nasal has an average rating of 5.3 out of 10 from a total of 62 ratings for the treatment of Nasal Congestion. 44% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 48% reported a negative experience.

Xylometazoline nasal rating summary

5.3/10 average rating

Compare all 170 medications used in the treatment of Nasal Congestion.

Reviews for Xylometazoline nasal

Patch · Taken for 5 to 10 years · August 17, 2018

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "Be wary of this drug highly addictive - MAXIMUM use is 3 days. Could not go without it always a bottle carried around with me spent a fortune over the years!Couldn’t go without it for a clear nose. It is called rebound congestion. So went to doctor and told to go off it cold turkey or would end up with a cocaine nose. Went cold turkey and had headaches, sinus, dizzy and nausea. I Had to sleep in an upright position to breathe. Been off it for 3 years. Took 2 weeks of withdrawal symptoms. Don’t touch it"

Tilbs · Taken for less than 1 month · December 26, 2012

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "A lifesaver at night when unable to mouth breath. Only problem was I became addicted to using it! My nose became congested every-night & would only become unblocked when I used Otrivin. I had to wean myself off it."

Vipinkhyih · January 23, 2018

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "Never use this medicine. It left my nose hurt and burning. Definitely clears the congestion. But gives you the side effects like headache, toothache, nose hurts badly. Worst nasal spray I've ever seen."

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years · October 3, 2017

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "Warning please don't use otrivin. As your well wisher I would like to draw your attention towards the side effects of otrivin. It's been 10 years now that I'm using nose drops as I had deviated septum and oversized turbino. In 2015 I had an operation of septoplasty and turbinoplasty. Along with this I have allergic rhinitis so I started using otrivin as nasal decongestant but somehow I got addicted to this otrivin it gives you a nice, clear open nose. But you know you get rebound congestion after a while. Once you use otrivin then it will keep your nose open for 9 hours but once the effect is gone you face the same problem but this time your nose blows up inside t twice the size it was. Stop it before it gets too late don't suffer like me..."

Anonymous · November 3, 2011

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "It was prescribed by my doctors several years ago. Now it's OTC. It works perfectly and in a timely manner. It's soothing and not harsh like most nasal sprays. No horrible aftertaste either. Used it for years with none of the side affects mentioned."

Jia · April 28, 2020

"I am suffering with nasal congestion that is due to the vessels inside our nose and I think I am allergic so after that I started using this spray and believe me this led to daily panic attacks and anxiety. I regret a lot that this had changed my life very badly. I used to be person who is very baring and happy after using it I became fearful because of my anxiety and panic attacks."

Shirl · Taken for less than 1 month · April 5, 2020

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "Used Otrivin for a few days congestion went, but ended up with a sore burning throat/back of tongue. Had to buy a throat spray to ease the soreness. After 2 days of not using Otrivin I’m so much better. Just be careful"

Cam1984 · May 1, 2015

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "I call it miraculous. I couldn't breathe at night when I had a cold. Mother in law gave me Otrivin and it unblocked my nose in a few seconds. I now use it whenever I have nose congestion and it performs each and every time. I honestly am so glad there is finally an effective drug for nose congestion."

Beast · Taken for less than 1 month · October 26, 2020

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "Had pretty bad congestion at night so I had sprayed the product in just the way they said spray and breathe it in did it twice and my congestion became even worse after like 5 - 10 mins it cleared with runny nose and a continuous pain its been 15 mins since and it still hurts"

Natesh · Taken for 10 years or more · February 10, 2019

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "Respected Government of India (Ministry of Medical) This product manufacturer is making profit day by day increasing otrivin price continuously. In the year of 2013 this product price is around Rs.30 to 40. Now this product price is Rs. 73, Product quality is also decrease, it is just like normal water,, on behalf of indian otrivin user medical council most take immediate action to stop the production.."

Ksmyth · Taken for less than 1 month · March 27, 2020

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "My nose feels like it’s collapsed and breathing is difficult so thought I would try otrivine. Very fast relief of congestion Relief, but some discomfort. When blowing my nose the next day (1 day of use) there was blood on the tissue. On the second day of using it my nose bled fully, without blowing my nose. Have stopped using since and my nose is no longer bleeding and feels blocked again. For reference: My bottle contained xylometazoline and hydrochloride"

Deniro37 · Taken for less than 1 month · July 18, 2019

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "Bought 2 bottles of this for both myself & my 14 year old as our hayfever was very bad. Within a few days both myself & my daughter suffered with very sore nasal passages that bled and for my daughter became infected. Couldn't use anymore."

King · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · September 12, 2018

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "I hate stuff other ones like this because they never worked for me but Otrivin? I use it 2 times a day every day because my allergies are just that bad and it is the best thing that has ever been created... like ever. 10 out of 10, would use again, get this... get this."

Marc · February 7, 2020

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "The best nasal spray for clearing noses, nothing works as good as Otrivin and I can't begin to tell you how much it has helped me out in life. Highly recommended it always works fast and always effective."

AngieMcUk. · Taken for 5 to 10 years · October 27, 2015

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "Fantastic product. Prefer the squeezy bottle as you use how much you need. Great for colds & hayfever. The measured dose spray however I don't like as it's too big for me. Gives me nervousness/ heart beats fast."

LinaG · May 21, 2020

"5 min after using this product I had a horrible bitter taste at the back of my throat that lasted hours. I also felt like I had liquid at the back of my throat. Felt very uncomfortable all night and still felt stuffed up after all that. I do not recommend this product."

wisey · Taken for 1 to 2 years · October 8, 2020

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "used otrivin daily for several years back in my early 20's.. I'm now 55. at about 22 my doctor told me I had the worst case of nasal membrane decay he had ever seen and said to stop using immediately, which I did. I later had rhinoplasty which helped my breathing immensely. I'm still kind of waiting for a nasal cancer diagnosis at some stage if my life.... cant be good using that stuff non stop can it."

Moo67 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · July 5, 2018

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "Always suffered with really bad nasal congestion. I've tried loads of different ones. This is the best! Better than many brands. It is really distressing to continually have a blocked nose. This works a treat"

Kosta · Taken for less than 1 month · September 11, 2020

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "Otrivin worked great for my blocked nose too. I had a blocked nose for a few days and it was starting to get too annoying, Otrivin cleared up within two minutes after use. It did exactly what I used it for."

CT89 · August 4, 2017

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "Good for the congestion, clears you up, however, used for only 1.5 days and the inside of my nose is raw and bleeding, the spray also has hurt / stung the back of my throat. Have used nasal sprays in the past, no other has ever had these effects."

Donotuseit · February 22, 2017

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "Became addicted to it. Used it several times a day for about 20 years. HAD to use it to keep nostrils open. Finally a doctor said I should stop. I quit cold turkey. Very hard. After about a month it was OVER. I do not need them now and do not have to carry nose drops 24-7. Do NOT start using it!!! Have been off them for over 15 years now."

Jan · Taken for less than 1 month · February 9, 2020

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "Horrible nasal spray! I followed instructions, and only used 2 sprays in each nostril, every 8 hours for only 1.5 days (not even the 3 days mentioned on bottle). The third time I use it, it was horrible! My left nostril burned like crazy! I had a severe burning sensation for 20 minutes. And then after my nostril felt sore. Never again! Not only that, my face was a bit sore, and my gums were a bit sore hours later. And I felt a headache coming on. Those side effects are not worth clearing up nasal congestion from a cold! Be aware, this nasal spray is dangerous! It could possible damage the inside of your nose. I’ll never forget that burning feeling. It’s was like my nostril was on fire. I hope there is no damage at this point. And if there is, I hope it heals. "

Kirsty · Taken for less than 1 month · December 30, 2020

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "Used otrivine for a few days as I suffer from congestion constantly, whilst it does unblock your nose, it doesn't last very long and the rebound congestion is awful, my nose is now bloody and sore, large chunks of bloodied mucus pile up and I have headaches and my nose is worse than it was before! Going to go back to sudafed, it seems gentler and hasn't caused a bloody nose ever!"

Conchia · December 10, 2017

Otrivin (xylometazoline) "This nasal spray works in seconds and last for hours. I had a cold, stuffy runny nose and a constant draining at the back of my throat which cause me to cough incessantly, after taking otrivin all of my symptoms stopped. It can cause a slight headache if you take too much and you can get addicted because it works so well, then after a while you get rebound congestion so be aware of that, and only use it for a few days"

Betty · September 8, 2018

"Unfortunately usage resulted in a bad experience for me. I commenced using it the same day I got on a 1 hour flight (so only used it twice - afternoon and evening). I had a bit of a headache and overall unwell feeling after using it but not that bad I guess. Then later that evening on the flight I got very bad anxiety to the point that the flight attendants knew something was up and were checking on me (flight attendants were very kind :). I was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder almost 8 years ago but have worked on it, take an anti depressant (Sertraline) and suffer no symptoms for many years. I regularly fly (don't love flying but do fly a lot for work and travel). I had no anxiety leading up to the flight but got very, very bad anxiety on the flight and was trembling, upset stomach and (diarrhea). I see it has been linked to nervousness so perhaps don't use it if you will be in nervousness inducing situation like I was (flying). I had such an awful experience."

Learn more about Nasal Congestion