User Reviews for Viibryd

Major Depressive Disorder
5.9

Summary of Viibryd reviews 6.3 622 reviews

Reviews for Viibryd

For Depression "I initially started with 20mg of this medication for anxiety and depression and had to lower my dose to 10mg. At 20mg, I had random sudden urges to get up and move and could not sit still. I was very restless and irritable. Now on 10mg, I feel better however I get a bad headache and slight nausea about an hour after taking my morning dose even with food. It somewhat dulls my emotions and makes me feel spacey and like I am medicated. Didn't cause weight gain but I am not losing any weight either despite my hard efforts. Very vivid and intense dreams every night. Some actually in a good way, others not so much. I am considering something else or getting off meds completely. I feel my depression slowly returning because of my weight and not being able to lose it. Glad I see my Dr. In 2 days."

Chicha June 20, 2019

For Depression "Worst medication I have ever been on. The first week was fine, no side effects. Went up to 20mg as doctor ordered and that is when it got insanely bad. Horrible horrible depersonalization and derealization feelings. Was so zoned out of my mind for the week on 20mg then went back to 10mg and seemed the dream state lessened BUT now I am dealing with insane and hard to describe anxiety. I’ve had anxiety for 17 years but never to this level. Can’t function and feel like I need to be in a psych ward. Have Xanax but that isn’t even comforting for long because the break through anxiety is insane. Can’t get my brain to slow down. Getting off this ASAP. Feel like I’m hanging by a thread at times right now. Been on this for a month total and wish I wouldn’t have ever switched to it. For some it works but for me, definitely not!! I even had a gene sight test done and this was in the green."

Kris (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2019

For Depression "I got prescribed this medication Viibryd and was nervous after reading reviews. Luckily for me its been working great. I have tried other drugs like Lexapro and had bad experiences. Viibryd has helped with my anxiety and depression. I only had bowel troubles for the first week and a half and not nearly as bad as everyone else has stated. In fact it helped me lose a couple of pounds which was nice. I recommend if you can to get genetic testing done because thats what I did and ended up on this med."

Lev (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2019

For Depression "Hi Everyone Please be careful with this drug (Viibryd). I was prescribed 5mg for depression. The second day I took it I suffered insomnia. I tried it for two more days and the insomnia worsened. On the fifth and sixth day I skipped the doses. On the seventh day I experienced severe facial itching and bumps appeared on my forehead. I researched itching caused by Viibryd and found an medical article confirming facial itching and facial bumps appearing after missing a dose. In all the anti depressants (prozac, etc.) I've taken I have never experienced this side effect. The article stated if you restart the dose the itching should stop. I will do this to stop the itching and bumps, but I will talk to my doctor and ask to discontinue this medication. I can't deal with the severe insomnia nor this itching and bump. I wish there was an upload on this forum so I could upload the pictures of the bumps on my face especially my forehead. This side effect is not list as a side effect so beware ."

Anonymous June 12, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "I took the gene test and was prescribed this medication, I couldn't adjust to it and it felt like my brain was on fire and my anxiety was increased and physically I felt so horrible. I also ended up lashing out at my therapist and we are on bad terms as a result and the cops were called on me. For me this medication was not suitable and I want to advise people to just be careful. Kuddos if this actually works for you."

Dakoda (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "Been on Viibryd for about 6 months now. Works great for me, no depression symptoms at all. I have noticed that it is difficult for me to get excited about anything though...it sort of makes me just numb to all emotions, which helps with anxiety and social phobia. Side effects of diarrhea and gas were terrible, but the pros outweighed the cons in my case. After 6 months I still have occasional diarrhea. Very vivid dreams at night, and every night. Expensive."

RA (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "Over the past 5 years everyday was a struggle, I would wake up hoping everyday would be my last. I cannot even remember all of the antidepressants prescribed. Like almost all of the reviews, I too had diarrhea for about a week on Viibryd. However, I was coming out of my "dark place" and continued taking as prescribed. I was given a starter pack that started with 10 mg for approximately 10 days then increased to 20 mg per day then 40 mg per day. After approximately 10 days the diarrhea went away. Yes, I was feeling much better, out of the "dark place" and into a "grey world." My doctor then added Bupropion 150 mg per day. After 3 weeks of this combination I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Getting out of bed is no longer dreadful, I am motivated to actually get out of bed and the house. Because of the severity of my depression, I would be willing to endure almost any side effect(s). Thankfully the only side effect I am currently experiencing is a desire to live."

AnnieOK (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "On Viibryd I had stomach cramps, insomnia, angry outbursts. I have taken every pill there is for MDD I think. This is the first to help me get out of bed. But, makes me nervous and sick. I wake up every hour or two. I wished the side effects were not this bad. I can't continue taking this medicine, plus it costs me $135.00."

Sick (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2019

For Depression "Nausea was so bad even on Viibryd 5mg when I started. Weeks and weeks went by and I was hoping the side effects would slowly go away but they never did. I couldn’t sleep, I constantly felt nauseous, headaches, shaking, awful sweating, and diarrhea. All day everyday it was like this for me. I decided the side effects weren’t worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2019

For Depression "So I had MS/Depression Bi polar spectrum and Viibryd worked for me and fast. But I had side effects that made me stop. Before drug I had crying that was very hard to control and felt like trash. Major social anhedonia. I felt like a tortured husk of myself. Doc gave me Viibryd. First week it made me nauseous like no other drug I've tried. But it went away. In about a week the social anhedonia started to melt. Another week and the crying went away. Another week and the feeling of impending doom started to subside. But I started to shake and my jaw felt weak. It was messing with my sleep because my jaw felt so shaky and strange. Went to doctor and he gave me Propranolol. It worked. But in between dose I would shake and feel weak. We decided decided to give it another month. After 1 month the shaking and weak feeling did get about 50% better. But then we decided to go to Zoloft. 4 days on Zoloft and the shaking is 99% gone. It appears that Viibryd wasn't a good match for me though it was working for depression."

Boondoe May 10, 2019

For Depression "I have been on Viibryd for over a year. After Lexapro for 5 years and building tolerance..my doctor switched to Viibryd. It took my body forever to accept. I started 5mg building up to 40mg. The nausea was horrid. Stomach issues. I take at night to avoid nausea. During the first 6 mo. I had horrid nightmares..sleep paralysis..Rage..exhaustion..anxiety and headaches. Past 6 months I've had all the above plus really dark thoughts..brain zaps of EVERY kind..paralyzing depression..vision issues. The worst is missing a dose. ONE missed pill and my body feels strange..electricity jolts in my brain..can NOT function. I was out of town & ran out. After 3 days I was bed ridden. Body hurt..flu like..wanted to die. I couldn't speak in complete sentences..had to have someone with me all times..terrified. I stay in a constant state of confusion. My thoughts convinced me that Im going completely insane. I will begin weaning myself off starting tonight. Would never recommend to anyone!"

Anonymous May 9, 2019

"I was prescribed this for PTSD which it isn't listed for. The 40mg has made my heart beat abnormally, and have been swelling in stomach and legs terribly to the point I went to my doctor now I have to go to heart doctor. I didn't take yesterday and I'm praying I can just stop taking without any more problems.I would never recommend this to anyone! Now worried about my heart!"

Shell (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2019

For Depression "The psychiatrist thought Viibryd would be a good experience since I've had some success on Prozac. I can tell you it had the OPPOSITE effect. Major rage ending in tears and hopelessness for the future and GI problems and constant diarrhea on top of that."

Sally Perkman (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2019

"Viibryd worked great for my social anxiety, the only problem is nausea."

Patrick (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2019

For Depression "This medication gave me severe suicidal thoughts and sky rocketed my anxiety. It made me feel “drunk” all the time, with fuzzy thinking and dizziness. This was all after 2-3 weeks of use. I had tried both Zoloft and Lexapro before this and did not experience side effects nor effectiveness with either of those. Viibryd was the worst thing by a long way"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2019

For Depression "This made me extremely ill where I didn't want to eat anything and my stomach was hurt and swollen. I am still trying to recover from getting this outta my system. I wouldn't recommend it !!!"

kevin72 (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2019

For Depression "Ive struggles over 10+ years with anxiety. After being on almost 10 different medications that didn't work my Dr prescribed me Viibryd last week, I have constant upset stomach. Mostly diarrhea and excessive gas. I feel less anxious with this medication, but scared these side effects won't go away. I'm a full time mom and nursing student and cannot constantly stay in a bathroom. Has anyone had this experience and did it go away after time?"

Whit April 16, 2019

For Depression "Viibryd (vilazodone) was very effective for my social anxiety and depression. I feel more confident and energetic."

Lina (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 11, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder "Viibryd the first drug I've been on that actually did anything for my major depression. I'm a 24 year old male that's pretty med resistant been on Prozac, Lexapro, Klonopin, Deplin and many others that I've forgotten in my various psychiatric efforts since graduating HS. None of them did jack for me. At first starting this I couldn't sleep if I ate really crappy food, my heart would be beating out of my chest it felt. After moving up to 20mg, I felt I started to make a breakthrough for the first time in my life. I was so happy and thought I had figured it out. Then I titrated back down and off the meds. Results lasted a couple weeks longer and then the depression was back. Currently back on it at 40 mg in an effort to reclaim that sense of peace in my life again, taking longer this time around. Some side effects are that you need to take this at a consistent time every day or your sleep with get all messed up. Also side effect wise while on this at higher doses it feels like it takes every cell in my body just to ejaculate."

SocialAnxietySucks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 11, 2019

For Depression "Prozac worked for me. 25 years later a new doc started me on Viibryd 4 months ago. 10 mg, then 20, now 40. From the start I’ve had incredible rage episodes, many times hammering myself in the head with fists or open hands, trying to relieve the rage. Alternatively bursting into tears. Cussing like crazy (THIS IS NOT ME!!) Driving recklessly. Doc wants to hand me over to psychiatrist to manage medication rather than switch back to Prozac. I see the psychiatrist in 35 hours. Hanging on by a thread."

Sick (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2019

For Depression "Been on Viibryd for severe anxiety and depression for 13 days its made everything worse. I have suicidal ideations and it has made me feel drunk, like nauseated and can't stand up type drunk. (Not silly happy feeling good kind of drunk) I am experiencing severe vertigo as well."

Themonsterunderthebed (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2019

For Depression "Viibryd gave me energy that I hadn't felt in years! Instead of sleeping all day, I could be up at 7am fully rested and energetic. As far as depression and anxiety go, it helped me more than any of the other meds I have tried (Prozac, cymbalta, Lexapro, paxil, etc). HOWEVER it completely annihilated my stomach. Unreal acid reflux, bloating, and nausea that I thought would go away within two weeks, but persisted, eventually leading to peptic ulcer. Super unfortunate that I had to stop"

Em (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2019

For Depression "Was taking 20 mg of Trintellix and loved it besides stomach aches. For whatever reason I asked to switch. My doctor decided Viibryd was the one and let me tell you it was NOT. Explosive diarrhea and when I say explosive I mean you better not leave your house. Terrible insomnia, and when I did sleep I had insane dreams. The worst side effect was super high heart rate and BP. I woke up in the middle of the night and had my husband take my BP, it was 173/98 with a resting heart rate of 123. This sent me to the ER then to a cardiologist... that was my average BP and HR for the following three weeks until it was out of my system. Now I am back on Trentellix and the occasional stomach ache is a dream compared to that nightmare."

Kit (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2019

For Depression "Viibryd has worked the most of any medication I've ever taken. It's helped for GAD, depression, and most surprisingly social anxiety. I have virtually no symptoms and I can hardly believe it. Side effects are few, weight neutral, sexual function quite good with perhaps a bit of a delayed orgasm but tolerable for sure."

ga8314 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 28, 2019

For Depression "Viibryd is my first experience in treating my mental health through medication. I've never even tried a Xanax or anything and I'm 27. I wish this would have worked out. I cannot explain how quickly it lifted the entire fog of depression and anxiety from my life. I felt a renewed sense of purpose and the best I've felt in two years. I had side effects for the first week and a half- headaches and nausea, nothing sexual at all- all of which faded quickly. But the insomnia was crushing. I slept exactly 4 hours every single night. I even maintained my usual schedule of running 3-5 miles per day and eating healthy, but like clockwork, my body would snap awake after 4 hours of sleep with almost no chance at falling back. I am a 7-9 hour sleeper. More than once, I found myself chugging wine from the bottle at 4 AM and ripping my CBD pen to get back to sleep, all while crying out of frustration. My doctor just switched me to Trintellix, so here's to hoping that alleviates it."

Hopeful_in_PHL March 21, 2019

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)