User Reviews for Viibryd to treat Depression

Viibryd has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 524 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 48% of those users who reviewed Viibryd reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

Viibryd Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

23% 119
6% 32
21% 108

Reviews for Viibryd

Iscander · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2021

“I was taking Viibryd for 3 weeks and stopped because of the horrible insomnia. Sleeping pills that normally could put me to sleep - trazodone, ambien - didn't work for me at all. The worst thing is that now, almost one month after stopping the medication, my insomnia is still very bad. On some nights I can go to sleep with trazodone. On other nights I can't fall asleep even after 10 mg ambien. I feel that Viibryd somehow totally destroyed my sleep / wake cycle. Surprisingly, the only thing that work for me are herbal supplements: valerian root and CBD. But they leave me very groggy next day. Viibryd is probably the worst medication I ever tried.”

Just sad me · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2021

“I’ve been on Viibryd for going on 8 days for my major depression and besides the nausea that comes in waves I’ve noticed I’m not staying in bed all day like before. The doctor says there is no way I can feel anything yet because I haven’t been taking it long enough well something is changing. I no longer go back to bed while my kids are home. Instead I awake and find myself doing things without the tired withdrawn feeling. I even take a sleep aid at night and I can still get up and go about my day. This Viibryd must be working for I’ve tried dozens of meds and nothing. I hope the nausea fades but truly I’ll deal with it if it means I’m not suffering crippling sadness.”

Honest Reviewer · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2021

“I hate to write negative reviews, but I feel that it's important to do so with this medication. Based upon other reviewers, and my own experience, I feel that something is inherently "wrong" with Viibryd. I may have noticed a slight elevation of my mood when I began taking it; but over time, the side effects such as nausea, indigestion, and a general feeling of malaise gradually took center stage. I finally tapered off and discontinued usage, and I feel sooo much better now! In hindsight, I had been feeling miserable for about 4 or 5 months! For reference, I am 55 yrs. old, active, 150 lbs, bipolar II with depression, and take Trazadone, Buspar, and Lamictal. I have a graduate degree, see my doc every three months, and take all meds as prescribed and with food......Viibryd, has probably the worst medicine that I've ever been on..................”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2021

“Viibryd is god awful. I started on 10mg for a week and it made my anxiety and depression so much worse. I constantly had racing thoughts, flu like symptoms. Made me feel like a zombie and I was up for 3 days before I switched to a new medicine. I am still have a little trouble sleeping and I’ve been off it a week and a half. Please if your doctor tells you about this medication, do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY!!!”

Lee · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2020

“I was only one this Viibryd medicine for a short time. Within two days of therapeutic dose, I had constant suicidal thoughts that I never before had. Immediately discontinued use.”

Jelly trumpet December 17, 2020

“I suffer from mood swings, depression, anxiety and bpd. The first few weeks on Viibryd was life changing. I had almost given up taking medications because I felt like I had taken everything there was to offer. After taking a gene test, my psychiatrist wanted me to try this. I almost immediately noticed more energy, I had hope again and could enjoy the things I normally would. However, the nausea was unbearable. Within 6 months I had lost almost 60 lbs because everything I ate, I would throw up. I tried taking anti-nausea pills with it and decreasing my dosage but at the end of the day I ended up skipping dosages because the nausea was just too much to handle.”

ZestyV · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 1, 2020

“My conditions are Panic disorder/PTSD/ GAD. I’d like to start by saying that the reviews on this forum have been really helpful for me, as I’ve been trying different meds for months. With that being said, Viibryd did not work well for me. I started on 20mg x2 weeks, then increased to 40mg, while titrating down off of Zoloft (that will be a whole different review).The nausea was unreal! I saw a naturopath who prescribed some supplements, so for a week or so I felt great. But, I started noticing that I would get super angry and depressed. So, my dr said we can cut back down to 20mg and see how it does. No improvement. One thing that was consistent with Viibryd was the nausea. I vomited every morning the entire time I took it. So,I’m switching to Paxil. So far, I’ve gone 4 days without vomiting. It’s such a relief. Medication works differently for everyone, but it helps to know that you’re not alone with any of the side effects. I give Viibryd a big thumbs down”

Neonurse12 October 4, 2020

“I’ve been on several medications for anxiety/depression. I get severe severe anxiety with occasional depression. When I first started Viibryd I was extremely irritable and constantly crying. I stuck it out for a while (at the time I was too depressed to go to the doctor to fix it) and it ended up getting a lot better. The side effects went away and I was okay. I’ve been on Viibryd for about 2 years now and I would say the worst side effect is the sleep issues. I work third shift and I generally take it in the morning (around 7:30am) when I get home from work. If I don’t take it around that time on my days off, I feel like I’m in a coma and can’t get up. I’m like sleeping, but aware. And I feel like I’m constantly trying to drag myself out of bed and it takes several tries before I feel that my mind is strong enough. Then when I get up and take it, I have a headache almost all day. If I take it at the exact time daily, it’s a pretty good drug. I hope all this makes sense!”

Marie H. September 2, 2020

“I have had issues with MDD and GAD for years, I was originally put on Lexapro and I quickly noticed a difference. I no longer felt depressed or hopeless but I was tired all the time with little energy to do anything. After 6+ months I went on Wellbutrin few days and was paranoid and on edge! I was put on Viibryd 10 mg for 1 week and 20 mg after that once per day. Initially the side effects were nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea, drowsiness, and headaches. I stuck it out for 2 weeks like that. I began taking my meds at night instead of am, initial side effects went away and I was able to sleep well, eat normal, and had energy to do things that I enjoyed. My focus and mood improved so much my husband noticed instantly. This is one of the meds with least sexual side effects, I was still able to continue with my sex life with few issues. make sure to take your meds on time, a missed dose will quickly cause withdrawal symptoms like nausea, headaches, and irritability.”

Ashley · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2020

“Been on this Viibryd almost a month. Was on Zoloft but it really didn’t do much for me.I started the started pack and my Dr. raised me to 40 mg. I took it in the afternoon, around 2:00 and it makes me so tired by 5:00pm, all I can do is lay down. Last night I took 12:00 pm, and by 3:00pm todayI can’t keep my eyes open. Has anyone ever had this overwhelming feeling you need to go lay down and sleep?? I don’t think this drug is for me!”

Anonymous May 8, 2020

“My issues are General Anxiety, OCD skin picking, depression, mood swings, irritability and well every other med I seem to get bad hives from. Doctor used this as our only next option combined with another anti anxiety med. The titration pack for Viibryd is the key, it walks you up from 10mg 1 week to 20mg next week and that’s where I’ve been about two months. I have never been able to stop picking my skin even if nothing was there and on this I have. My depression is managed. Anxiety is a different beast but also somewhat okay with the other med combo. I can say I still am irritable but mood swings not so much I’m either grumpy edgy or I’m not. Weight gain so far 4.5 pounds.”

Hankley May 5, 2020

“Switched to Viibryd about a year ago to treat an anxiety disorder and depression. Was on Lexapro originally, but it was making me too sleepy to function. Starting out, I got nauseated around the time I took a dose (used the pack to scale from 0-20mg over time). That stopped after a few days though. I do still get periods of dizziness right around the time I take my dose though. I've stayed on 20mg for the last year, and haven't felt the need to change anything med wise. I feel a lot more in control of myself on Viibryd, and I generally don't spiral when I'm on the pill. Really helped to manage anxiety/depression, while keeping me at a normal energy level.”

deeprazz · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

“Tried for depression and anxiety. I switched from a combination of Zoloft and Wellbutrin, which worked excellently except the Zoloft caused sexual side effects. I only took the Viibryd for four days because it immediately worsened my depression and caused crying spells. I also experienced extreme fatigue, racing heart, night sweats, strange vivid dreams, diarrhea, and nausea. Perhaps these effects would've subsided had I stayed on it; however, since they came on so immediately and I felt no form of relief from the drug, I took them as signs that Viibryd just isn't right for my body.”

Jtrb80 · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2020

“I took Paxil for years and felt like it wasn’t working for me anymore. My doctor switched me to Viibryd- I took it for a few weeks at 10mg. I had unpleasant side effects including diarrhea, nausea, headaches, insomnia and increased anxiety. She switched me to Lexapro and I feel million times better. No side effects at all! This may work for some people but it definitely did not for me!”

JG · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2020

“I had been on Lexapro for ~3 years and it was losing it's effectiveness and I was falling into a deep malaise from it. Doc switched me to Trintellix first - and it worked well - BUT I was unbearably dizzy from it. So, I switched to Viibryd and it has been great so far. Felt better immediately on the 10mg taper and have been stable at 20mg for about 2 months now and really like it. Knocks my anxiety down to almost zero, but I have way more energy, focus, feelings than I did on Lexapro. It is super expensive, even with my good insurance and their discount card, but it is worth it to me at this point. Hope this review helps someone”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2020

“I did the gene testing and this was on my "good" list. I have been on celexa, 60mg for 15 or so years. Have been struggling with depression and anxiety since I was a child. Thought I would try a new antidepressant and was feeling optimistic about Viibryd. Started out on 20 mg. Within the first 2 weeks, I started feeling very irritable and felt like I would cry over nothing. My doc said to increase to the 40 mg. I feel like I am losing it. My brain won't shut off. I spend 99% of the time on the verge of tears. I have been having really crazy dreams. I haven't felt this off mentally since I was in my early 20's. I am seeing my doc again in a few days and I can't wait. I seriously have considered going to the ER and checking myself into the psych ward. I have not had any issues with digestive upset. I am sure that this med is good for some. As for me, I will not be trying anything new again.”

Manda February 26, 2020

“I've never written a review on a drug before, but felt compelled to do so with this one. I've struggled with depression my whole life. Was on Wellbutrin for many years before my hysterectomy. After my hysterectomy, I fell into a very deep depression, even when on my Wellbutrin. I couldn't get out of bed, slept all the time, was withdrawn, etc. My doctor started me in 10 mg Viibryd for 2 weeks then we moved up to 20 mg. At 20mg dose I was so sleepy so we kept it at 10 mg. I feel like a new person!! I'm stable, level, happy, can handle situations calmly... it literally saved my life. My sex drive seems to have gone down dramatically, but I will try to deal with that the best I can. Being happy and not crying all the time is worth me having to put more effort into the sex drive part. I think part of that could be due to the hysterectomy also. I'm truly grateful to have my life back.”

Cray cray · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

“This was the worst medication ever for me. I only took it for 11 days and I was so extreme that I checked myself in a facility!!! Taken off then put on zoloft and so much better.”

cali999 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2020

“Viibryd was okay for the first week. I felt a little better and I wasn't having any side effects. When I upped my dose (I think from 10mg to 20mg?) I started to feel really good, like at peace with myself and the world around me for maybe the first time ever. It was awesome. I thought I had found the answer but things went downhill by week 3. I developed a sexual dysfunction that got continually worse (libido in tact, but unable to achieve orgasm; beyond frustrating). That was followed by a zombie-like effect that became the new me. I felt like I was an avatar walking through my life controlled by the real me who was a few blocks over having a panic attack that didn't matter because nothing did and that was fine by me. By the end of the fifth week, a friend who is experienced with SSRIs took me aside and had an intervention: it's not supposed to be like this, get on something else. I'm now on Trintellex; much lighter, much better for me.”

Steve · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2020

“Viibryd permanently ruined my life. I tried it for a week in December 2018. I was shivering and sweating all night with no sleep. I went off after six days, but I over a year later, I still cannot sleep at all without sleep meds, barely with sleep meds. I am so tired I cannot function. I sweat and shiver all night with panicked jolting away every time I almost fall asleep. I have never had these problems in my life before Viibryd. The effects were permanent after only 6 days.”

Susy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2020

“This is the worst drug ever. My low blood pressure has gone sky high ! Awful nightmares that you have fiery hot flashes with. My panic attacks are every night. I can’t breathe, I vomit ! No sense of reality. No sleep for a week. I’m scared of it being the same!!! I am on 10 mg and my doctor said I just go off it. I wonder if I can do it cold turkey!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2020

“The worst medication I have ever been on. My doctor pushed for me to start this medication because my Prozac wasn’t working as effectively and it was the worst decision I ever made. I was on the medication for about 4 months before I weaned myself off of it because of how severe the side effects were. It was four months of pure torture. My short term memory was gone, which was so scary because I couldn’t even retrace my steps one day when I misplaced my keys ten minutes prior. I had terrible diarrhea, agitation, and started to get what felt like brain zaps. I also felt like I had severe brain fog if I didn’t take my dose on time and wasn’t able to concentrate or think properly. I also developed a fear of dying which was extremely strange because I have never experienced anything like that before. The memory loss was the last straw for me because of how bad it was getting. This medication is scary and can’t believe it’s still on the market”

Krissy B February 2, 2020

“I’ve been on Viibryd for over three years now. The medication by itself seemed to work as a normal SSRI, but if my next dose isn’t within the 24 hour period, I wake up with horrible “lightening brain” that has escalated in to what I can only describe as what feels like a hose in my brain with a hole in it; pulsing every couple of seconds as if there is a leak. Then the itching. It starts at my nose, then onto my eyes, ears and progressively all over my body. I get vivid nightmares and feel hazy, almost unable to discern what is reality and what is in my mind. I am currently 4 days into withdrawal due to the medication not being covered by insurance ($825 WITH a GoodRX coupon), and trying to self-wean. I do not recommend this medication, as it may have worked well for depression, but the withdrawal symptoms are terrifying. They begin immediately, and I can’t deal with the anxiety of getting ahold of my medication in order to not feel like I am going into psychosis.”

Ab · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 31, 2020

“I was on this medication for 4 weeks. I thought it worked really well for my depression/anxiety. I was taking it alongside Wellbutrin. Unfortunately, it made me absolutely miserable. I had diarrhea every time I’d eat. If I didn’t have that, I was so nauseous the thought of food made me sick. After 4 weeks, I told my doctor I needed to stop taking it. I’ve been slowly decreasing dose and I am so dizzy and nauseous, it makes functioning very hard. I would recommend trying something different over Viibryd.”

Sharkbait · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2020

“Started Viibryd at 10mg recently as I weaned off another and upped it to 20mg on 1-20-20. Took the gene testing which said I should do quite well on this medication. So far I still don’t feel like I want to get out of bed, or shower or anything for that matter. No energy, nothing. Not as weepy as I was on the 10mg. I will give it a month or so and then I’m switching. I don’t like feeling like I have no interest in anything.”