User Reviews for Viibryd

Learn more about Viibryd.

Viibryd Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Viibryd to treat Depression

"It helped tremendously with my depression but do not use if you're a woman. It causes total numbness of the clitoris. My gynecologist told me to stop taking it."

R.u December 26, 2016

"Was taking Effexor with good results but had to change meds due to cost. Switched to Viibryd due to availability from my services provider at no cost. While maybe not quite as effective as the Effexor, I have been on the Viibryd for several years with good results and no side effects that I've had with other anti-depressants. It has improved my quality of life very much. No depressive periods even while handling some difficult times. It's been a Godsend for me."

Viking-Lord (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 18, 2016

"My dr gave me two sample packs and told me to take all the 10mg tablets and once I was done I could go up to 20mg if I needed it, but I continue to get a prescription for 20mg and cut them in half so it lasts me twice as long. She told me I would have upset stomach the first night and that was literally the only bad side effect I had! I take it after dinner/before bed. Right away it made me feel more awake, able to handle things my stressors better, and gave me a general sense of well being. I can still get aggravated so I don't feel like a zombie, and I'm still able to have the big O. I am 36 and have tried 10 or so different antidepressants over the years since I was in my late teens and nothing has ever worked as well as this."

Working Mom Surgery Nurse December 15, 2016

"I've been on Viibryd for a year now. Start up symptoms were upset stomach, diarrhea, and nausea. I got to about 10mg for a week and couldn't handle the nausea. So I backed off to about 5mgs. I had a good improvement and nausea went away. Tried to go back up to 10mg and by the 4th day I had the same results. Keep in mind anti-depressants are very powerful. I had improvement from just 5 mg. My doc wrote me a script for 20 mg and I cut those into 4. I still have days where I don't feel well, but it has decreased my depression symptoms and panic attacks with minimal side effects. I gained a little weight about 7 lbs. No sexual side effects. Has to be taken with food."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 14, 2016

"Terrible and cant get off these. Blurried vision,have to close eyes. Dizzy and not yourself."

Jemmy80 December 12, 2016

"The first four days I was almost euphoric then it was like the bottom dropped out and depression worse that when I started the medication set in. I have stopped taking it."

3421 November 5, 2016

"Have completed 1 month on viibryd, but no change in mood. This weekend I will go from 20mg to 40. I was on highest doses of Lexapro, then Effexor, so might need 40 b/f seeing change. I've come this far, so I'll stick it out and see what happens. Have had vivid, detailed dreams every night, but no nightmares. Did forget to take med 1 morning and had terrible day at work--extreme irritability, even anger. Took med when got home, and next day back to normal. Also experienced increased depression & sadness when took med too late 1 Saturday. Whole time on med, have eaten less, but only feel like eating salty, sweet, and/or high fat foods. No interest in salad or veggies, which I normally eat. Hopefully that will change."

Sea Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2016

"End of Viibryd week 1 was starting to feel normal, then began week 2 at 20mg. More nausea (Ondancetron med really helps at work), no headaches this week. New symptom of gritty feeling in eyes--think it is dry eyes, so bought some good tear drops and seems a lot better now, will keep using. I switched over cold turkey from 40mg Lexapro. When starting any new antidepressant, I always take it on the weekend, NEVER during the workweek. It might make you sleep all day or be "out of it," but that's usually just an adjustment period you have to go thru. Too bad doctors don't always let patients know what to expect."

Sea Girl (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2016

"I honestly don't like this medication very much. I just started it previously and I am experiencing extreme drowsiness and although it is a common side effect it is not normal to the point where I zone in and out like I'm as high as a kite."

KJMorgan August 30, 2016

"I've successfully taken Lexapro, also Effexor, and Wellbutrin w/each (did not gain weight on either of these) for last 15 years. Tried Cymbalta--did not help depression & gave me nightmares. Now on day 7 of taking Viibryd. First 4-5 days had nausea & constant mild headache. Did have a few instances while driving of "when did I switch to this lane?" Last night had first strange, vivid dream. Yesterday felt a little bloated, but things going ok so far. I know all antidepressants have an adjustment period w/side effects. It's interesting to see how same drug effects people so differently. Not sure if depression is getting better, but wouldn't know yet b/c work extremely stressful last 5 weeks, so we'll see as work winds down--I'm very hopeful!"

Sea Girl (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2016

"This is horrible stuff! I did the gradual dosage-increase starter pack. It was somewhat effective early on, but then it turned bad. I started to have vivid lucid dreams. Kinda cool, but some were quite unpleasant. During the 40mg stage, I involutarily jizzed my pants while at work! How unsettling! I ran out of Viibryd accidentally & went a day without it. BAD brain zaps came in waves, I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. That part was terrible! I drove to my doctor & immed asked to go back to my former medication. They ordered that to be refilled, but I couldn't wait the few hours. I had intense malaise & I was super itchy all over like a crackhead. I practically begged for one last Viibryd. The withdrawl was bad! Potent stuff."

SumYungGuy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2016

"Dr. Prescribed several antidepressants before trying Viibryd. Major difference once I was in a routine. Took care of about 90% of my depression/anxiety. Been on it for four plus years."

Navet72 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 25, 2016

"I have mixed feelings about viibryd. I'm switching off of it now, after about a year on it. I found that I did help, but seemed to make me more anxious at first. I didn't have any other side effects. After being on it for a while, I noticed if I was even a couple hours late on my dose, I would be a complete mess--crying, panicking, just feeling terrible. I've never had such a strong reaction to just being late on taking a medication. I'm not even talking about missing a full day. This is the main reason why I wanted to get off of viibryd. I stayed on it for fear of withdrawal symptoms and my depression and anxiety worsened. Currently taking celexa and today is my first day with no viibyrid."

AnxietyTeacher (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2016

"I was taking lexapro and wellbutrin for a long time. Then switched to vibyrd in 2012. It helps with my deceased sex drive and it doesn't cause weight gain either. It actually helps with my libido."

Cynthia 6946 July 3, 2016

"Been taking viibryd for 2 years now. Was only on 10mg first few weeks nausea and loose frequent stools each week thethe symptoms lessen and I could feel the benefits. I was happy and relaxed, no decrease in sex drive and didn't have any of the side effects that I could notice (chronic back pain, gi issues, and difficulty sleeping my whole life). My doctor gives me samples and coupons when he can but it is extremely expensive."

Nurseshark (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 29, 2016

"I can live again!! I have suffered from anxiety and depression for 12 years. I've tried it all... most recently I was on Celexa and Lamictal combination. I took Celexa for 2 years and then things went south again. My doctor mentioned Viibyd and I was so scared to try a new medication because depression meds are a game of Russian roulette. I went straight to 40mg a day and I am happy to say that after just a week, I feel awesome. I forgot how it felt to be "normal". And i am high on life after finally finding a solution! Only side effects are occasional brain fog and a little bit of restless legs. Every medication is different for every one. Just keep trying until you find yours and don't give up."

qrst June 27, 2016

"This started out as a great experience. I was on Lexapro but due to the decreased sexual desire wanted to try something else. The first three months felt great, no improvement on the sexual aspect however. Then the side effects started and it was terrible. Started with constipation, which I was able to put up with. The legs hurting and cramping was another story. As long as I was active I had no problem. Go on a trip and it was hell. My legs would hurt like crazy. Then at night in bed if I turned over I got leg cramps in my thighs. OH and the DREAMS! So real, vivid and weird. Expensive!"

Biwie June 7, 2016

"My wife started taking Viibyrd and she got every bad side effect. Violent, angry, mania and paranoid. That is truly the drug from hell! She would scream at me for hours and then started hitting and slapping me. I had to move out of the house and get an apartment and we are probably getting divorced. Viibyrd ruined my marriage..."

Anonymous June 7, 2016

"I have been on 10mg of viibryd for about a month. I have a low drug tolerance and I couldn't get past the side effects of the other drugs I've tried. Viibryd had very minimal side effects that are now gone (vivid dreams and brain zaps). My anxiety has significantly lessened and I'm out of that depression fog. What a relief to be out of that negative state and constant worry! It just goes to show that differnt drugs work differently for everyone. Viibryd isn't well reviewed, but the ones that are highly scored didn't work for me at all. Don't give up or be afraid to find your perfect fit."

APski (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2016

"I've been on this drug for 2 days and am already discontinuing use. I got the starter pack and have taken 10mgs each morning for 2 days. It makes me so dizzy and tingly that I can't even move. Very nauseous and drowsy, but I can't sleep because everything is spinning. Not for me."

Jess0177 March 26, 2016

"I've been on Viibryd for a year now. It's completely changed my life. When I went to the doctor I knew it was time to get help. I still have a bad day now and then but who doesn't. No more crying, staying in bed for days and hating life. I know medication works differently for everyone but this is what worked for me. No matter what don't give up get help!"

3boys1mom March 20, 2016

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been unable to take antidepressants due their side effects. I had pretty much given up trying to feel "normal". I saw a new Dr. And she gave me viibryd samples. I have little to no side effects except for occasional diarrhea. For the first time in a really long time, I feel good. I don't feel like a zombie, and I am able to get up and live. I do take the medication earlier in the day because it can cause me to keep me awake. 3pm seems to work out well. I haven't gained weight on it, but I tend to bloat more if I eat poorly. I just wish I didn't have to go broke to function well."

Anon1098653 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 27, 2016

"This medication is nearly killing me. Everyday I feel like the ground is moving or I'll have that "drop" feeling like I'm on a roll at coaster. I later learned that vertigo was settling into my long list of problems I have wrong with me. So I started taking 10 mg for awhile until I got up to 20mg. Nothing was changing if anything vertigo got worse. Even through the night. I would try to lay down and sleep but would be suddenly jolted awake by a shocking feeling coming through my chest to my brain. This was easily subdued by Xanax (.5mg). Then my psychiatrist wanted to up my dosage. This is ultimately my down fall. I would start to shake and tremor and the vertigo gets worse. My head was pounding and my nose started bleeding. Now idk what to do."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2016

"Started taking Viibryd at the recommendation of my doctor to replace the sertraline and buspirone I had been on before. First couple days on 10mg gave me nausea and dizziness, followed by a few days of incredible manic energy. I was getting things done at work like a maniac but when I got home I would be weak and dizzy and very sore. Woke up a week after starting with crushing anxiety, depression, dizziness, and nausea so bad I had to call into work, I couldn't hardly stand let alone drive myself. I was supposed to start the 20mg that day so I did hoping it would help but it just made the symptoms worse. I know side effects can be weird but I've never had to miss work because of them before."

Too many side effects (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2016

"Since I started taking Viibryd I have been happy and have had energy to do things again. My Dr gave me some samples of the starter box that started out at 10 MG for the first week. Then increased to 20 MG on the second week. I've been on 20 mgs for two months and I feel better than I've felt in years. Before I started taking it I always felt down and out and always wanted to lay around on the couch. The only thing that I have bad to say about it is that on the first 4 or five days my stomach stayed upset and I felt very nauseated. But after about 5 days it passed and I started feeling great! If I could recommend this to everyone that is feeling depressed I would! It is a wonder drug to me!"

Once sad but now HAPPY January 26, 2016