User Reviews for Viibryd

Viibryd Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Viibryd to treat Major Depressive Disorder

"The best thing that ever happened for my anxiety and depression. I’ve tried so many SSRIs and SNRI and other drug classes and nothing worked like Viibryd. It was a life changer for sure."

Mo April 7, 2018

"My update...I have now been on Viibryd for about 5 months. Had anger/ anxiety until I added a low dose of Cymbalta. This has been a perfect combination! I’ve had NO depression/ suicidal thoughts AT ALL which is amazing for me. Have since joined a health club, work out, interested in activities, hobbies. Have even wondered if I could work once again for the first time in 8 years. I still do have a fear of going down hill once again as I have long history of severe depression/ suicides. I pray that I can remain as well as I feel now. Thanks to Viibryd."

DbLH (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 2, 2018

"Saved my life. After being on Effexor XL 300 mg per day for 7 years and it was stopped abruptly due to tachycardia and increased depression, my physician started Viibryd. The withdrawals from Effexor were horrific. It took many weeks to withdrawal (and I believe I still am having some long term side effects even after 2 years) and many meds before Viibryd was started. I now take Viibryd 40mg at night and 20 in the morning along with a probiotic that has helped The expense of the Name brand only med right now, is worth every penny because you cant put a price on your life. I am alive and mentally better than I have been in 10 years. Thank you"

Alive! January 14, 2018

"Had been using Sertraline for almost 8 years, no major problems 75mg dose. Switched to Viibryd when I wanted something that would allow me to be a little more energetic and increase libido. Things were fine the first 2 weeks, no side effects but no increase in energy really. Then I started having problems grinding my teeth and couldn't relax my jaw, anxiety increased even w/ taking Clonazepam. Not to mention sleep was hard to come by and wouldn't be refreshing. Be careful with this"

C User 1212 November 3, 2017

"From day one, YES day one, I turned into an irritable, annoyed, aggressive person. I gave it a week, thinking my body was just adjusting. I stayed "raged", we'll call it. Talked to my pharmacist, she recommended that I not keep taking it. I feel much better off of it. Will try something else."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2017

"If you don’t like to sleep this is the medication for you. After being on 40 mg for 14 months I am decreasing my dosage to 20 mg. I have had the worst 14 months of my life with difficulties falling asleep and staying asleep. The drug works for depression but does affect my sleep patterns and that is not ok. Here’s hoping the lower dose lets me sleep!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 17, 2017

"I have been taking Viibryd for years now. It was extremely successful at taking away suicidal depression and and a extreme social anxiety, due to mild aspergers. It also gave me a tremendous amount of energy. After a good amount of time with 40mg a day dose, I started experiencing side effects. The first side effect was upset stomach, with diarrhea. Next I started noticing mental exhaustion, and slight dry mouth. Then the side effects went to severe Temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ) issues, and tension headaches, sometimes accompanied by neck region night sweats. Then my doctor and I decided to cut the Viibryd down to 20 mg a day. I have been on the 20 mg for a while now, the TMJ is gone, all other side effects have been reduced. Over all happy still."

RicHM1980 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 4, 2017

"I have been on & off antidepresants most my adult life & have tried many. Was just switched from celexa to viibryd about 1 month ago & it has been a living nightmare. This has by far been the worst med I have ever been on. I have been an emotional wreck & sick as hell. Nausea, dizzy, shaky, jittery, heart racing, weight gain, headaches, anger, crying & several more. I have actually had to pull my car off the road & sit because I was so sick. I can't think straight at all. Tried tapering down from 20mg to 15mg for a week & I felt like I was dying, so went back to 20mg. I feel like I belong in the mental ward. I see my Dr in a few days. Horrible drug, I do not recommend at all! Rather be depressed"

Shelly mcaleer September 16, 2017

"Could not judge benefits because of side effects of diarrhea and nausea."

Ljmc (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2017

"I've tried quite a few antidepressant meds over the last 20 or so years and this one is the worst. I've had nausea, bad abdominal pains, bloating, diarrhea, and intensified anger and rage. After the first week I contacted my Physician's office because I was feeling worse. The nurse contacted me back and said the doctor wanted me to continue the medication because I hadn't been on it long enough. I've been out on it for almost a month now and I'm getting off of this trash. This stuff shouldn't even be on the market."

Osbert77 (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2017

"I've tried numerous anti depressants with varying degrees of success and failures. I transitioned to Viibryd from Trentellix. I started out on 10mgs per day and titrated up to 40 mgs. Within the first week my mood and demeanor became more positive. I stopped thinking about suicide. I did experience some side effects such as vivid nightmares and the inability to sleep. Major trouble sleeping at anytime. I told my doctor and she added Zyprexa 10mgs at night. Finally I could sleep. I'm going to see if she'll increase it a little more. This combination works wonders for me. If Viibryd alone isn't working for you try adding an anti psychotic or mood stabilizer. I feel really good on both of these medications. Finally, something worked."

Srolen (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

"Less than a week ago I reviewed Viibryd. Called my Dr as I am so confused about this med. She says give it a least 6 was. to work, which is ridiculous. This med has SOME good effects, doesn't cause sexual problems, I'm getting a lot done around the house , energetic, excellent concentration BUT I'm a nervous wreck, sleep 2hours at a time, horrible nightmares now about people ganging up on me and I'm swearing at them in anger. Ruined my relationship with adult daughter and she cut me out of her life and my grandchildrens. I'm perfectly fine until I'm NOT, uncontrollable rage, suicidal feelings ( won't act on them I hope) , cry , sob uncontrollably. Sopping wet with sweats/chills during my sleep, nasty to my husband. Stop or stay on???"

DbLH (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2017

"After working my way up to 40 mg a day, the vivid horrible dreams stopped.. Mood wasn't much different. After I think 4 days on the 40 mg, I had a black out rage that landed me in in the psych ward for 2 weeks and now doing a partial program. One Dr thinks it might be due to the fact that I had gastric bypass. Don't know but I will NEVER use that again."

Celnik August 7, 2017

"nausea, diarrhea, vivid dreams,Two days on starter pack, stopped taking it and it took a couple days to get rid of the side effects."

smiley2 (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2017

"I started taking this a little over a week ago. I tapered off of Zoloft , and started with 5.mg of the vibryd, and then up to 10mg a day about ten days ago. I can honestly say that I'm pretty sureI feel out of control , and cry at the same time. I'm filled with utter contempt , and rage at everyone and anyone in my vicinity. I'm not a rage filled person. I want to cry at the same time. I'm just plain angry all the time. My depression has worsened, and the rage and crying is all the time. My doc is not available , so I contacted the pharmacist, and said to continue to take the vibyrd as directed and go to the ER if it continues , or gets worse. Well I'm not waiting. I've taken myself off of it starting today."

Atholsusan (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2017

"I was on Viibryd for 2-3 months before I stopped taking it (it's a problem for me, always thinking I don't need them or meds don't work Etc etc). After a few weeks without them, my therapist sat me down and told me she saw an improvement in my overall mood when I was on it and she was right. It's been about 4 months with me consistently taking 40mg and I'm not gonna lie- the lower GI problems and discomfort do happen sometimes. But my (mild) anxiety is better, my sex drive doesn't suck, and for MOST of the the time on MOST days I realize I actually may be ok. It's not a wonder drug, but it helps me do my ADL's, live more independently and even plan for a future existence sometimes. Would recommend to those who've tried the typical meds."

Functional SPANCH queen (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2017

"I'm a health care professional myself and was prescribed Viibryd for depression and anxiety. This medication is by far the worst medication I've taken. I started taking the recommended dosage with the starter pack. I experienced all the side effects ( nausea, diarrhea, vivid dreams, zaps to the brain). The worst is I ended up in the ER with a panic attack and these panic attacks have continued. Of course I'm off this medication immediately recommended by the ER physician and my personal MD. There are too many negative personal experiences with this medication. Even though everyone reacts differently, there is a correlation."

take this med off the market June 23, 2017

"Was on this for a few months, it's newer to the market. It didn't work at all for me. Prozac is the only successful antidepressant I've taken."

NopeNope (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2017

"Truly the worst medication I have ever been on.. I had all of the bad side effect diarrhea in the middle of the night had to change the sheets, nightmares so bad that I slept with the lights on, brain zaps, migraines still to this day even after being off of this medication for 2.5 years. Dizzy spells, Black outs, I couldn't even drive while taking this. I'm sure there is more. I weaned myself off of this medication against my Doctors orders because he was convinced that this was a miracle drug needless to say he is no longer my Doc."

Mom2tjsam June 16, 2017

"Been on a plethora of antidepressants most of my life. This one by far has been the worst. I had all of the negative side effects pretty intensely. Insomnia, vomiting, diarrhea, severe headaches, severe agitation, visual hallucinations, feeling like I was crawling out of my skin, sweats, and psychosis so bad to the point, I blacked out and attacked my best friend physically. Thanks be to God my friend was there and I'm not in jail! Just based on my personal experience I think this drug needs to be tested out more thoroughly. I felt like a wretched guinea pig on it. I stopped the drug a few days ago...going through the horrible withdrawals now. The "bath salts" of antidepressants!!!!!"

Bird 44 May 30, 2017

"I was previously on Prozac 20mg and switched to Viibryd because of the sexual side effects I was experiencing. Within two weeks I was back to my original depression with thoughts of suicide, uncontrollable crying, terrifying dreams, and mood swings. While transitioning my libido did come back, which was nice. However, I was forced to go back on Prozac and felt totally normal again within a week."

Stefani M May 21, 2017

"Okay so today I had a pretty good day but now I can't sleep. I have taken the 10mg as directed for 7 days and it was okay, nothing really changed. My terrible vivid dreams only seemed to get worse as I keep dreaming about the person that I love who does not love me in real life (he loves me in my dreams) and when I wake up I feel like I want to throw up. It is now 5 am and I cannot fall asleep because I'm scared to have those dreams and I keep crying hysterically about it. I don't know what to do. I don't like this. I'm 19 years old and I'm a girl and I was originally taking paxil for a whole semester."

SloaneLaBiche (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2017

"Viibryd has had a really positive impact on my life. In January, I had a suicide attempt while being on Effexor. After hospital, I was taken off Effexor and given Viibryd, starting with 10mg. Of course, you don't feel a difference for a while, but you know when you do. The other antidepressants I have been on, Prozac, Lexapro, and Effexor all had little positive effect on me. In fact, they made me feel numb and more emotionless than my depression did (leading to the events early this year...) Viibryd, however, has made me feel close to normal. I feel emotions better than I did on the other drugs. Side effects: terrible diarrhea, night terrors, and low sex drive. Tolerable, though."

Evan F May 12, 2017

"I started the dosage as recommended by my doctor at 10 mg for one week, then 20 mg for the next few weeks. I was coming off Paxil slowly and going on Viibryd. I had very vivid nightmares with Viibryd. That's when I could sleep. I spent many hours awake with Viibryd, say around six hours per night. I'm already taking Ambien for sleep, and this medication made my insomnia much, much worse. Even the Ambien wouldn't work. What was even worse is that I felt like I was going crazy every morning after waking up from a very short sleep. I feel bad enough as it is, and don't need to feel even worse. I do NOT recommend giving this medication a try. I was desperate for relief, but felt worse so I'm back to Paxil until I see my doctor again."

Ma Bird May 6, 2017

"Had bad side effects when I started taking this drug. The side effects went away after a week, but this drug did nothing for my anxiety. In fact a few days after my doctor switched me to this med my anxiety was worse than it ever was, I felt as if I was going to crawl out of my skin. Doctor switched me back to Lexapro and I seem to be doing better."

DoctorwhoBFS April 13, 2017