User Reviews for Xeljanz

Xeljanz Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 344 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Xeljanz to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"Xeljanz started working by the first week. I felt a serge of energy and was able to get out of bed and walk with very little pain and stiffness. I am on my 6th week and I feel better then I have since I was diagnosed with RA. So far my side effects are upset stomach, headaches, tiredness and insomnia. So far so good. I pray it continues to work with little to no side effects. My insurance only covers a portion but with the co pay card I have no copay. This drug gives me hope. I am able to get more cleaning and chores done since I have been on this drug."

nett221 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2018

"I have been taking Xeljanz 11mg once daly for a year now. It has given me much improvement. I have been able to cut my pain meds down to less than half. The swelling I experienced has completely gone. My RA is extremely severe advanced and I was having terrible problems with huge rheumatoid nodules on my tailbone and hands which had burst and were very painful. Since Xeljanz they have almost all healed, it truly is a miracle drug for me. The only problem is it is too expensive. They allowed me to get the medicine free under their hardship program all last year, but now they have not approved it for 2018 and I cannot afford over a thousand dollars a month for this med, I have congestive heart failure and am taking 20 other meds. So as much as this medicine helped me, until a generic is out there I am now out of this medicine unable to pay the steep price they demand."

MBelle February 15, 2018

"Been on 5 mg xeljanz for 3 months.down from 10 mg prednisone to 4.mg gained some use of my right elbow, pain level way down about 75 percent. Overall moods much improved."

Rchat (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2018

"I have been taking xeljanz for 7 weeks now. Not only it did not improve anything but each day it gets worse. I was happy to go to sleep before because that was the only time, I did not have much pain. Now, when I sleep, I am in pain and for a week or so now, I wake up with a horrible pain in my leg and I take 2 Tylenol and stay awake in bed till early morning when I can sleep a little. I am going to write to my rheumatologist to tell her that I think it's insane to keep taking this medicine that makes my pain worse, no doubt about it. I am sorry I did not do it before."

Annalea22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2018

"I found that Xeljanz didn't help my pain as much as Actemra injections and the fatigue was still awful."

Sher7777777777 January 7, 2018

"I have tried all the RA drugs available over the past 9 years. The last two drugs prior to Xeljanz. Humira 4 years and Enbril 6 months created neuropathy in both hands and feet. I never had much relief with either of the two shots. I have always taken prednisone. I started this 11 mg tablet 5 months, I’m walking up to 8,000 steps per day and feel less depressed and more energy, experiencing pain only with weather changes. The relief with this pill has been God sent. Only complaint is the cost, these drugs should be available to everyone at a reasonable cost, no different than the cost of insulin for a Diabetic. Drugs are made to promote quality of life, not lucrative life styles for the drug executives."

Hopeful 57 January 5, 2018

"Love it! Take awhile to work but the wait is worth it."

Jo Jo Jo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2017

"Tried Humira for seven months and then Embrel for nine months. Both worked, but side affects and health issues resulted in discontinuation of these treatments. I have been on Xeljanz for five months and feel a lot better. Prier to this medication, I felt like the tin man and moved about at the same speed. Prednisone only hides the affects of the Arthritis and bone density become a huge issue. All in all Xeljanz has been a great improvement for me. It is not a cure by any means but it has made a huge difference in my day to day life. Regarding mobility and joint swelling I would rate this medication an eight out of ten."

Stiff One December 13, 2017

"After taking this medication for a few weeks, I began experiencing really dark urine and diarrhea, as well as pain in my stomach. My doctor instructed me to go off the medication immediately. My symptoms began to subside. It was a painful experience. I won't be taking this medication again."

PPenny October 14, 2017

"I went off Enbrel due to fungal and other bad infections. My body and brain sped up on withdrawal for a month. My RA Dr. recommended to try xeljanz almost 2 years later. My arthritis got worse, and I had most of the same symptoms within one and 1/2 months. I went off and I had worse side effects of speeding brain for over three months. Which included 1 month of pychiatric inpatient treatment for withdrawal. Does xeljanz stand behind their drug? Will I be compensated for the results. I hope to start working again in the next month or so. These two drugs have greatly impacted my health and working ability."

Kwren akichline (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2017

"So far so good. Just like all the other medications, you have to monitor your symptoms. It took about 4-5 months for full effect. Haven't had to use prednisone since then going on 2+ years now."

43 year old male (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 11, 2017

"I have been taking Xeljanz for RA for a few months. It has really helped my RA, however, I have recently developed severe diverticulitis and migraines. I have had major abdominal pain, constant nausea and almost nightly headaches (many of which are migraines). I am attributing this to the Xeljanz and I plan to discontinue it immediately."

Tropical Island May 24, 2017

"Been on Xeljanz XR 11 mg for about 10 days now. I've tried most of the infusion drugs and Methotrexate and none have worked. It's a little early to tell for sure but I think it's helping. I don't have typical RA, no flares, I am in a constant flare. No coming and going unfortunately. I also have whole body swelling, lucky me. But I am noticing a slight reduction in swelling. I had gone up a full ring and shoe size. Today I could get on a ring I haven't been able to wear in years....yay! I have had some strange side effects. Extreme fatigue, depression, skin crawling and a little paranoia. Not typical for me and I don't think for this drug either. I seem to always have the rare side effects with all medications. I'm hopeful though."

shrinktogo (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

"My experiences have been very good with Xeljanz. Before that I could barely move I could barely walk down the stairs it was horrible my husband had to pull me out of bed. Now I'm able to function today but if I do overdo it I start getting sore. I've been on it for 2 years. I have no bad side effects."

Kevrox May 5, 2017

"Those who suffer with incurable rheumatoid arthritis understand the willingness to try a new medication that could possibly ease the painful symptoms of RA. I tried Xeljanz hoping it was the limited cure-all. I've never paid too much attention to the commercial warnings as I am like many others that think, that couldn't happen to me. We'll, it did. I ended up hospitalized for several months diagnosed with e-coli sepsis. In all fairness, this drug may be the one to help you. Unfortunately, it wasn't for me. Do take seriously the warnings that could develop while using this drug. It CAN happen to you."

No nickname (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 1, 2017

"moderate/severe RA, it's not recommended. Tried it though; very little help. Withdrawal is awful due to anxiety/depression. Its not stated but there must be an ingredient that is also used for antidepressants in xeljanz. Most other countries in the world refuse this drug. Just be careful. Ask for other options!"

Xeljanz warning March 26, 2017

"Have had RA for 35 years. Stopped taking Humira due to cost since I became eligible for Medicare, and medication was no longer giving swelling and pain relief. Tried Simponi and and Orencia with minimal relief. After starting Xeljanz had marked swelling and pain relief in six weeks. Had planned prior to starting Xeljanz to have two joints replaced, but have since cancelled due to improvement. Physician is decreasing methotrexate dosage slowly to see if can discontinue. Am so pleased."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2017

"I was prescribe to this med. I have Alopecia Areata ,to regrow my hair, but I've been reading about this pill and is sooo scary that I haven't even started taking them. Please give me your opinion, what should I do, keep my self without hair, and been healthy, or taking the pill and see what happens with the side effects?"

Milly Rivera March 3, 2017

"Six days after beginning Xeljanz, I awoke during the night with complete sinus blockage - as in zero airflow through the passages. I have facial numbness from forehead to chin, nausea, abdominal pain, and dizziness. All of this continues though I discontinued the med 2 weeks ago. I am on prednisone to help calm the reaction, and it is doing very little. I called the company to report the reaction and the steered me to a "medical help" line rather than the proper process to report this severe reaction."

CharlotteBronte (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

"Started Xeljanz XR after everything else failed. I had immediate relief and it continues to work for me. My hair is growing back after a failed attempt with methotrexate. A surprise side effect for me after 6 months of usage was increased energy! WOW, I'm enjoying that and being able to function much, much better!!!"

NANA DOR (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2017

"Xeljanz has made a hugh improvement in my ability to function. Early meds like methotrexate and steroids only had bad side effects. Costs made Remicade no longer affordable. Enbrel and other injectables did nothing. In the year I have used Xeljanz. I can use my hands much better. My psoriasis is gone. I still know when the weather is changing. I no longer suffer like I did."

Pjhopp February 9, 2017

"This medication caused me to have major side effects and I do not recommend taking it to anyone."

harry frell January 13, 2017

"I could tell it was going to work from the second day and had a wonderful 6 or so pain-free weeks until it started to stop working :(. Having bad flares again at the 2-month mark - swelling seems to still be slightly controlled but pain and stiffness are bad and about to turn to prednisone"

Julestrubs (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2017

"I have started taking this January 2014 and it started working within 2 weeks. I have had a few flare-ups, but more as time has gone on. I take methotrexate with this. I have my cholesterol tested every 6 months. I have never had any cholesterol issues. After taking this for 2 years, My cholesterol is in the high range due to this medicine. Which puts me into a whole different category of heart disease/attack. I will be going off. It was a good run, but isn't worth it!"

SharKay December 13, 2016

"Within 2 weeks Xeljanz was working amazingly for my rheumatoid arthritis. But had to stop after 8 weeks because of complete insomnia and depression/anxiety. This drug brought on depression, insomnia, and anxiety so hard and so quickly. I just could not continue. This had the same effect on me as prednisone. My system cannot tolerate that either. Too bad because both work so well for the arthritis. Luckily these side effects have gone away after stopping the medicine"

Egiamp November 7, 2016