User Reviews for Xeljanz

Learn more about Xeljanz.

Xeljanz Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 370 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Xeljanz to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"I have been taking Xeljanz for RA for a few months. It has really helped my RA, however, I have recently developed severe diverticulitis and migraines. I have had major abdominal pain, constant nausea and almost nightly headaches (many of which are migraines). I am attributing this to the Xeljanz and I plan to discontinue it immediately."

Tropical Island May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on Xeljanz XR 11 mg for about 10 days now. I've tried most of the infusion drugs and Methotrexate and none have worked. It's a little early to tell for sure but I think it's helping. I don't have typical RA, no flares, I am in a constant flare. No coming and going unfortunately. I also have whole body swelling, lucky me. But I am noticing a slight reduction in swelling. I had gone up a full ring and shoe size. Today I could get on a ring I haven't been able to wear in years....yay! I have had some strange side effects. Extreme fatigue, depression, skin crawling and a little paranoia. Not typical for me and I don't think for this drug either. I seem to always have the rare side effects with all medications. I'm hopeful though."

shrinktogo (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My experiences have been very good with Xeljanz. Before that I could barely move I could barely walk down the stairs it was horrible my husband had to pull me out of bed. Now I'm able to function today but if I do overdo it I start getting sore. I've been on it for 2 years. I have no bad side effects."

Kevrox May 5, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Those who suffer with incurable rheumatoid arthritis understand the willingness to try a new medication that could possibly ease the painful symptoms of RA. I tried Xeljanz hoping it was the limited cure-all. I've never paid too much attention to the commercial warnings as I am like many others that think, that couldn't happen to me. We'll, it did. I ended up hospitalized for several months diagnosed with e-coli sepsis. In all fairness, this drug may be the one to help you. Unfortunately, it wasn't for me. Do take seriously the warnings that could develop while using this drug. It CAN happen to you."

No nickname (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 1, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"moderate/severe RA, it's not recommended. Tried it though; very little help. Withdrawal is awful due to anxiety/depression. Its not stated but there must be an ingredient that is also used for antidepressants in xeljanz. Most other countries in the world refuse this drug. Just be careful. Ask for other options!"

Xeljanz warning March 26, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have had RA for 35 years. Stopped taking Humira due to cost since I became eligible for Medicare, and medication was no longer giving swelling and pain relief. Tried Simponi and and Orencia with minimal relief. After starting Xeljanz had marked swelling and pain relief in six weeks. Had planned prior to starting Xeljanz to have two joints replaced, but have since cancelled due to improvement. Physician is decreasing methotrexate dosage slowly to see if can discontinue. Am so pleased."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribe to this med. I have Alopecia Areata ,to regrow my hair, but I've been reading about this pill and is sooo scary that I haven't even started taking them. Please give me your opinion, what should I do, keep my self without hair, and been healthy, or taking the pill and see what happens with the side effects?"

Milly Rivera March 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Six days after beginning Xeljanz, I awoke during the night with complete sinus blockage - as in zero airflow through the passages. I have facial numbness from forehead to chin, nausea, abdominal pain, and dizziness. All of this continues though I discontinued the med 2 weeks ago. I am on prednisone to help calm the reaction, and it is doing very little. I called the company to report the reaction and the steered me to a "medical help" line rather than the proper process to report this severe reaction."

CharlotteBronte (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started Xeljanz XR after everything else failed. I had immediate relief and it continues to work for me. My hair is growing back after a failed attempt with methotrexate. A surprise side effect for me after 6 months of usage was increased energy! WOW, I'm enjoying that and being able to function much, much better!!!"

NANA DOR (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Xeljanz has made a hugh improvement in my ability to function. Early meds like methotrexate and steroids only had bad side effects. Costs made Remicade no longer affordable. Enbrel and other injectables did nothing. In the year I have used Xeljanz. I can use my hands much better. My psoriasis is gone. I still know when the weather is changing. I no longer suffer like I did."

Pjhopp February 9, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication caused me to have major side effects and I do not recommend taking it to anyone."

harry frell January 13, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I could tell it was going to work from the second day and had a wonderful 6 or so pain-free weeks until it started to stop working :(. Having bad flares again at the 2-month mark - swelling seems to still be slightly controlled but pain and stiffness are bad and about to turn to prednisone"

Julestrubs (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have started taking this January 2014 and it started working within 2 weeks. I have had a few flare-ups, but more as time has gone on. I take methotrexate with this. I have my cholesterol tested every 6 months. I have never had any cholesterol issues. After taking this for 2 years, My cholesterol is in the high range due to this medicine. Which puts me into a whole different category of heart disease/attack. I will be going off. It was a good run, but isn't worth it!"

SharKay December 13, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Within 2 weeks Xeljanz was working amazingly for my rheumatoid arthritis. But had to stop after 8 weeks because of complete insomnia and depression/anxiety. This drug brought on depression, insomnia, and anxiety so hard and so quickly. I just could not continue. This had the same effect on me as prednisone. My system cannot tolerate that either. Too bad because both work so well for the arthritis. Luckily these side effects have gone away after stopping the medicine"

Egiamp November 7, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Methotrexate was damaging my lungs (fibrous complications) so my Rheumatologist put me on 5mg. Xeljanz twice daily. The Humira/Methotrexate combination I was using previously worked very well for me except for the lung problems. I've been using the Xeljanz for about a month and it's not been good. My hands and feet hurt a lot more and all the time. I see my doctor in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping he can come up with something more effective."

mtatom September 3, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started Xeljanz 1-1/2 years ago, after all the years from 2008, having pain and stiffness and some relief. This Xeljanz so far has been a miracle to me. I'm down to 2-1/2 mg. of Prednisone, which I hope to be able to completely be off it, except for flare-up times and needing a tapering of it. I still have chronic pain every day, but don't we all? There's so much less of it though, that life is of more quality. I'm doing more. My right wrist is deformed and so eroded, that I can't bend that much at all, so I just try to avoid moving it so much. It doesn't hurt any more with it being idle!! My feet are the very worst though. I try to limit my walking, but it's hard. I'm 57 and appreciate this drug very much!!"

karjoy (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 27, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on this med for at least a year the joint pain has dramatically improved with no ill side effects. Was on Humira prior to Xeljanz, that provided me little or no relief, no to mention sticking myself every two weeks. This little pill twice a day has helped bunches."

Trooper 12 August 20, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took it for about 2 months. Lost my voice, perpetual sore throat, major sinus issues. I haven't taken it for months and can't shake the burning in my throat. I have to go to an ENT. Not a safe drug"

T Mom August 14, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I take Xejanz for severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. I've been on it for about 3 yrs. It is excellent for inflammation but doesn't do much for pain. My doctors do say they think it has stopped my progression which is 1st and foremost goal for those who have RA. I do not notice any side effects."

Dustyman (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Felt the drug working within a week. Don't know how the drug could be paid for if you don't have insurance AND copayment assist. My copay was 300 before copay assist. Has really helped with minimal side effects"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Headache.pain on backbone stomach.trouble sleeping.feeling tired"

Trouble with this April 1, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"37 inflamed and 18 painful joints before my first dose. 2 months later, 4 inflamed and 2 painful joints 6 months later, 2 inflamed and 1 sore joint! The best RA drug I have taken to date. I have been on the drug for 6 years. I had been suffering from RA since 1987!"

Kens44 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 11, 2016

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on it since 2013. Has been very effective especially against the awful fatigue and has decreased the pain dramatically."

Trimelda (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2015

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took one day of medicine. Next day had a full blown sinus/ upper respiratory irritation. Headache, fever, the whole nine yards. 5 days later I am still fighting the effects of a cold/infection. I have been taking Arava for 18 months and have not had one infection. Only reason I tried this is because the Gastrointestinal problems with Arava are bothersome. There are new biologics heading to the market that based on the first 2 phases are safer and more effective than all these that are currently on the market. I will wait for the new ones."

RA2012 (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2015

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking this medicine after a long unsuccessful stint on methotrexate. Metho made me super tired and my hair fell out in clumps with almost no improvement in pain, stiffness, or energy level. Xeljanz changed my life! My hair also grew back full force on this medicine and my energy level is totally restored. I get a flare maybe twice a year on this medicine and have figured out that a prednisone taper and a month of this can kick me into a 4-8 month remission period. It really works and worked within the first week for me. I am 24 and have not experienced many side effects after the first week of pills. It has also decreased the severity of my seasonal allergies and totally eliminated the eczema I used to get all over the place."

Anonymous4259 October 12, 2015