User Reviews for Xeljanz

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Xeljanz.

Xeljanz Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 358 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Xeljanz to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"After taking this medication for a few weeks, I began experiencing really dark urine and diarrhea, as well as pain in my stomach. My doctor instructed me to go off the medication immediately. My symptoms began to subside. It was a painful experience. I won't be taking this medication again."

PPenny October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went off Enbrel due to fungal and other bad infections. My body and brain sped up on withdrawal for a month. My RA Dr. recommended to try xeljanz almost 2 years later. My arthritis got worse, and I had most of the same symptoms within one and 1/2 months. I went off and I had worse side effects of speeding brain for over three months. Which included 1 month of pychiatric inpatient treatment for withdrawal. Does xeljanz stand behind their drug? Will I be compensated for the results. I hope to start working again in the next month or so. These two drugs have greatly impacted my health and working ability."

Kwren akichline (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So far so good. Just like all the other medications, you have to monitor your symptoms. It took about 4-5 months for full effect. Haven't had to use prednisone since then going on 2+ years now."

43 year old male (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Xeljanz for RA for a few months. It has really helped my RA, however, I have recently developed severe diverticulitis and migraines. I have had major abdominal pain, constant nausea and almost nightly headaches (many of which are migraines). I am attributing this to the Xeljanz and I plan to discontinue it immediately."

Tropical Island May 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on Xeljanz XR 11 mg for about 10 days now. I've tried most of the infusion drugs and Methotrexate and none have worked. It's a little early to tell for sure but I think it's helping. I don't have typical RA, no flares, I am in a constant flare. No coming and going unfortunately. I also have whole body swelling, lucky me. But I am noticing a slight reduction in swelling. I had gone up a full ring and shoe size. Today I could get on a ring I haven't been able to wear in years....yay! I have had some strange side effects. Extreme fatigue, depression, skin crawling and a little paranoia. Not typical for me and I don't think for this drug either. I seem to always have the rare side effects with all medications. I'm hopeful though."

shrinktogo (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experiences have been very good with Xeljanz. Before that I could barely move I could barely walk down the stairs it was horrible my husband had to pull me out of bed. Now I'm able to function today but if I do overdo it I start getting sore. I've been on it for 2 years. I have no bad side effects."

Kevrox May 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Those who suffer with incurable rheumatoid arthritis understand the willingness to try a new medication that could possibly ease the painful symptoms of RA. I tried Xeljanz hoping it was the limited cure-all. I've never paid too much attention to the commercial warnings as I am like many others that think, that couldn't happen to me. We'll, it did. I ended up hospitalized for several months diagnosed with e-coli sepsis. In all fairness, this drug may be the one to help you. Unfortunately, it wasn't for me. Do take seriously the warnings that could develop while using this drug. It CAN happen to you."

No nickname (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"moderate/severe RA, it's not recommended. Tried it though; very little help. Withdrawal is awful due to anxiety/depression. Its not stated but there must be an ingredient that is also used for antidepressants in xeljanz. Most other countries in the world refuse this drug. Just be careful. Ask for other options!"

Xeljanz warning March 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have had RA for 35 years. Stopped taking Humira due to cost since I became eligible for Medicare, and medication was no longer giving swelling and pain relief. Tried Simponi and and Orencia with minimal relief. After starting Xeljanz had marked swelling and pain relief in six weeks. Had planned prior to starting Xeljanz to have two joints replaced, but have since cancelled due to improvement. Physician is decreasing methotrexate dosage slowly to see if can discontinue. Am so pleased."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribe to this med. I have Alopecia Areata ,to regrow my hair, but I've been reading about this pill and is sooo scary that I haven't even started taking them. Please give me your opinion, what should I do, keep my self without hair, and been healthy, or taking the pill and see what happens with the side effects?"

Milly Rivera March 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Six days after beginning Xeljanz, I awoke during the night with complete sinus blockage - as in zero airflow through the passages. I have facial numbness from forehead to chin, nausea, abdominal pain, and dizziness. All of this continues though I discontinued the med 2 weeks ago. I am on prednisone to help calm the reaction, and it is doing very little. I called the company to report the reaction and the steered me to a "medical help" line rather than the proper process to report this severe reaction."

CharlotteBronte (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started Xeljanz XR after everything else failed. I had immediate relief and it continues to work for me. My hair is growing back after a failed attempt with methotrexate. A surprise side effect for me after 6 months of usage was increased energy! WOW, I'm enjoying that and being able to function much, much better!!!"

NANA DOR (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Xeljanz has made a hugh improvement in my ability to function. Early meds like methotrexate and steroids only had bad side effects. Costs made Remicade no longer affordable. Enbrel and other injectables did nothing. In the year I have used Xeljanz. I can use my hands much better. My psoriasis is gone. I still know when the weather is changing. I no longer suffer like I did."

Pjhopp February 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication caused me to have major side effects and I do not recommend taking it to anyone."

harry frell January 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I could tell it was going to work from the second day and had a wonderful 6 or so pain-free weeks until it started to stop working :(. Having bad flares again at the 2-month mark - swelling seems to still be slightly controlled but pain and stiffness are bad and about to turn to prednisone"

Julestrubs (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have started taking this January 2014 and it started working within 2 weeks. I have had a few flare-ups, but more as time has gone on. I take methotrexate with this. I have my cholesterol tested every 6 months. I have never had any cholesterol issues. After taking this for 2 years, My cholesterol is in the high range due to this medicine. Which puts me into a whole different category of heart disease/attack. I will be going off. It was a good run, but isn't worth it!"

SharKay December 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Within 2 weeks Xeljanz was working amazingly for my rheumatoid arthritis. But had to stop after 8 weeks because of complete insomnia and depression/anxiety. This drug brought on depression, insomnia, and anxiety so hard and so quickly. I just could not continue. This had the same effect on me as prednisone. My system cannot tolerate that either. Too bad because both work so well for the arthritis. Luckily these side effects have gone away after stopping the medicine"

Egiamp November 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Methotrexate was damaging my lungs (fibrous complications) so my Rheumatologist put me on 5mg. Xeljanz twice daily. The Humira/Methotrexate combination I was using previously worked very well for me except for the lung problems. I've been using the Xeljanz for about a month and it's not been good. My hands and feet hurt a lot more and all the time. I see my doctor in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping he can come up with something more effective."

mtatom September 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Xeljanz 1-1/2 years ago, after all the years from 2008, having pain and stiffness and some relief. This Xeljanz so far has been a miracle to me. I'm down to 2-1/2 mg. of Prednisone, which I hope to be able to completely be off it, except for flare-up times and needing a tapering of it. I still have chronic pain every day, but don't we all? There's so much less of it though, that life is of more quality. I'm doing more. My right wrist is deformed and so eroded, that I can't bend that much at all, so I just try to avoid moving it so much. It doesn't hurt any more with it being idle!! My feet are the very worst though. I try to limit my walking, but it's hard. I'm 57 and appreciate this drug very much!!"

karjoy (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on this med for at least a year the joint pain has dramatically improved with no ill side effects. Was on Humira prior to Xeljanz, that provided me little or no relief, no to mention sticking myself every two weeks. This little pill twice a day has helped bunches."

Trooper 12 August 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took it for about 2 months. Lost my voice, perpetual sore throat, major sinus issues. I haven't taken it for months and can't shake the burning in my throat. I have to go to an ENT. Not a safe drug"

T Mom August 14, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take Xejanz for severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. I've been on it for about 3 yrs. It is excellent for inflammation but doesn't do much for pain. My doctors do say they think it has stopped my progression which is 1st and foremost goal for those who have RA. I do not notice any side effects."

Dustyman (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Felt the drug working within a week. Don't know how the drug could be paid for if you don't have insurance AND copayment assist. My copay was 300 before copay assist. Has really helped with minimal side effects"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Headache.pain on backbone stomach.trouble sleeping.feeling tired"

Trouble with this April 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"37 inflamed and 18 painful joints before my first dose. 2 months later, 4 inflamed and 2 painful joints 6 months later, 2 inflamed and 1 sore joint! The best RA drug I have taken to date. I have been on the drug for 6 years. I had been suffering from RA since 1987!"

Kens44 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 11, 2016