User Reviews for Telmisartan to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: Micardis

Telmisartan has an average rating of 5.3 out of 10 from a total of 64 ratings for the treatment of High Blood Pressure. 38% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Telmisartan Rating Summary

5.3/10 average rating

Compare all 284 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Telmisartan

Stilly · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 26, 2019

“Have had high blood pressure for 40 years (now 70) and had been put on about all the blood pressure meds (two and three at a time many times) in a vain attempt to lower my constantly high BP ( many readings above 170/100) even when on other blood pressure meds. Then I read an article and requested to be put on Telmisartin. Oh My God, by BP fell to the 105-125/65-80 range consistently. If only I'd found this 20 years ago. Absolutely NO side effects other than occasional dizzyness if I stand quickly. Just bend over and put your hands on your knees for a moment and all is well. Best, don't get up quickly.”

Deebles62 · Taken for 10 years or more November 9, 2020

Micardis (telmisartan): “I have been on 40mg Micardis 1 time per day for over 12 years and it always controlled my blood pressure. I had a minimal side effect of nasal congestion. Recently, my insurance decided that they would no longer cover Micardis and switch me to generic telmisartan. The pills no longer control my BP and my doctor has increased me to 80mg and it is still not working. Additionally, I have been dizzy and just have a general feeling of ill health. I want to make it clear that the GENERIC is NOT the same as the name brand and I resent my insurance company for forcing me to take a product that does not work!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

EastIndianfromToronto · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 20, 2019

Micardis (telmisartan): “I was diagnosed at age 47 with BP 140/90 and am a south asian. I am 56 years now and a type 1 diabetic since last 35 years. I have had no side effects and started on Micardis 40 mg by my endo and then he upped it to 80 mg to be safe. My BP is well under control and it hovers around 125-134/65-75 I check my BP everyday and keep a log by taking pics on my iphone of what it is and what food I eat. I avoid frozen food and pizzas and climb 10 floors everyday which helps it reduce by 10 points on the systolic number and bout 7-8 points on the diastolic number. I tried the generic and had muscle pain as well as shoulder pain on my right at night time ”

Merianthe · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 14, 2020

“I've had poorly controlled high blood pressure since age 20, and now age 69. I've taken many different blood pressure meds with little success. I had a stroke in August 2020 and I was taking 4 blood pressure meds at the time. My new neurologist put me on Telmisartan. I'm taking 80mg Telmisartan for about 3 months now and my blood pressure is 100/66 to 125/77 range consistently. I can hardly believe it. I'm also losing some weight! I do have a stuffy nose but that's no big deal, Claritin takes care of that pretty easily. So far so good.”

wontdie · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 17, 2020

Micardis (telmisartan): “MICARDIS SHOULD BE BANNED ...I HAVE BEEN TOLD I MUST TAKE IT NOW FOR SEVERAL YEARS , BUT MY REACTIONS ARE GETTING MUCH WORSE BEING 10 of the 12 side effects that they warn about. I went off for a while felt fabulous then BP spiked doctor made me go back on the Miocardis now feel as I would be better not on this earth. Anyway I have terrible sinusitis all the time, dry mouth, headaches, permanently exhausted , sore throat ,awful back pains , and now my kidneys are packing up. I gave up and stopped taking them 2 days ago and BP spiked again. There has to be something better ?? I have just heard that NHS in UK are starting a trial of a new med which is two injections a year. Wondering where you sign up as an act of final desperation. ”

Justphua · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2019

Micardis (telmisartan): “I was prescribed 20 mg of Micardis and like many experienced the lightheadedness, dizziness, and back pain. It also caused my throat to swell, mild nausea, vision problems, chest tightness, heartburn, the feeling I was going to faint, flushing and pressure in my head. Basically my blood pressure medication made me feel like I was going to have a heart attack and stroke. I stopped taking it 4 days ago and still have these symptoms. Time will tell if this stuff has done permanent damage.”

Lava · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 8, 2021

“Heart doc put me on this for CHF with "high" bp (139/90). Yes, it brings down the BP. On only 20mg daily, mine went down to 95/65 pretty consistently. However, it made me so tired that I couldn't function. Sleeping 10-12 hours a day and exhausted when awake. Took myself off and I'm at 130/75, and feel like myself again. I know he's not going to be happy, but what good is supposedly prolonging your life when you're too tired to enjoy it? Trying some natural ways now. It DOES work. The side effects are just too much for me.”

Mike March 15, 2019

“Felt terrible on this medication. I am 35 years old, In good shape, exercise and eat well but I have genetic high blood pressure, I was put on telmisartan 20 mg. Not only did my blood pressure not improve at all but within one week I had extreme fatigue, it was difficult for me to think clearly and had a headache all day. I visited my doctor after 16 days, was put on a new medication and within two days my blood pressure went from the 150’s/ 160’s/95 to 125 over 81 and the symptoms have subsided completely.”

Kat · Taken for 10 years or more July 4, 2019

Micardis (telmisartan): “Took Micardis for about 15 years. Did great for my blood pressure. I also had sinus problems off and on and every time I went to Dr. they put me on antibiotics for sinus infection. Got to where I didn't got to the Dr. and just "bit the bullet" on the sinus problems. One day I decided to look up all my medications and found that sinus problems were a side effect of Micardis. I quit taking the Micardis and what do you know, my sinus problems are gone. I've taken Micardis 80 mg/w hctz; 80 mg without hctz and 40 mg without hctz. It works great for blood pressure, but the side effects don't warrant taking it for me.”

Bill · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 25, 2020

Micardis (telmisartan): “I have been on Micardis 40mg for over 6 years now. I must be one of the lucky ones as I have had no side effects to speak of and my Doc has been happy with my BP readings. Also pleased to note that I have dropped about 4 kilos of visceral fat with no change to my diet.”

Marley farley November 26, 2015

Micardis (telmisartan): “Ive been on this tablet for 3 years now and whilst it was an initial improvement to what I had been prescribed previously its side effects do build up over time. Joint and bone aches. Memory loss,fatigue, itchy tired dry eyes, weight gain, sugar cravings, raynauds syndrome , nails and hair very slow growing.Oh and yeah I looked up what it contains and im horrified to see sodium hydroxide =caustic soda (drain cleaner) .”

kateyezs · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 8, 2019

“researching why my body feels like garbage. Now I think I know why, because of this medicine, especially after going to 80mg. I'm tired all the time, eyesight got worse, foggy brain- hard to concentrate at work. and of course- swelling of leg and feet with dull, achy pains. It is time to get off this junk and my BP has not been lowered much due to all the pain this medicine is causing me.”

Anonymous October 8, 2010

Micardis (telmisartan): “I started on Micardis 4 months ago, the first month it didn't seem to help, the second month it controlled my high blood pressure perfectly, then the third month I started getting horrible side effects. My left arm would go numb and tingly, I had horrible headaches, insomnia, diarrhea and chest pains. I was exhausted all the time yet I couldn't sleep, had terrible nightmares. The pills work great for controlling my blood pressure but the side effects are awful!”

The Highwayman June 17, 2008

Micardis (telmisartan): “Fantastic. Suffered minor heart attack several years ago at 37 years old, am now 41 years old. Recently started having severe chest pain and was put on Micardis 80mg, after being admitted to hospital, suspected heart attack (pain was that bad), luckly , no heart attack this time and blood pressure dropped from 196 to 125 after a couple of weeks. Feel a lot better. Now on the 40mg dose.”

AVsid · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 17, 2019

“I am 35 years old, have high blood pressure coz of genetic reasons. I am on telmisartan 40 mg daily (took it in morning) since last year or so. The drug lowered my blood pressure (110s/120s by 70/80s) with initial bouts of dizziness during the day, which hampered my work. I started taking telma at night to counter the day dizziness, it worked well for a year or so with no other side effects, lately I have been experiencing dizziness again, also felt vertigo like sensation once or twice, fatigue, and drained out sensation. Consulted my MD, he feels it may not be due to medication, but due to anxiety. I have continued taking medication so far. Some days are better, some are dizzy.”

Anonymous January 31, 2018

“Absolutely awful!! Didn't realise how bad it was. Have been on 40 mg for years along with 10 mg of Felodipine, and still blood pressure a problem 180/100 and even higher. Put the Telmisartan up to 80 mg and still blood pressure coming in at dangerous levels. Developed a constant cough since medication upped. Not sleeping. Exhausted, nightmares, back pain, headaches etc. GP decided to stop the Telmisartan and what do you know, been off it all together for two weeks now and blood pressure 117/120 over 65/70. Absolutely normal. The Telmisartan was actually INCREASING my blood pressure. Should have realised the amount of times I have been hospitalised for my blood pressure and whilst they sort out medication have gone as much as 3 days without any medication and NORMAL blood pressure..Work that one out. I'm in the UK , not USA but medication is the same everywhere.”

Aporo · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2021

Micardis (telmisartan): “I have been on Cozaar 50 mg (brand name for Lozartan) for 15 years. Apart for stuffy nose, it worked well. However, in 2020 it started to wear off as I waked up with high BP and shortness of breath. 3 months ago, my Dr changed to Micardis 40 MG, then increased to 60 mg. Since then on Micardis, I developed anxiety and very awful insomnia in spite that I swim regularly. I am planning to quit this awful medicine, and see a cardiologist.”

Jay · Taken for 10 years or more April 7, 2020

“I wasn't having a problem on Micardis but if you look closely at their information provided, they don't know the long-term effect of 80mg p/day and they do not recommend it below 55 yrs of age which I didn't know. I took it for 11 yrs and now I am 50. Study suggests cancer chance rises slightly after taking it for 4 yrs. I stopped taking it 5 days ago and, so far, by blood pressure is lower than 120/75 at all times in the day (lower than when I took Micardis). However, I also stopped drinking coffee at the same time and haven't drank alcohol for one month.”

NoNo · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2021

“My doctor too me off Amlodipine and Losartan and put me on Micardis now up to 80mg a day and it has not helped my blood pressure at all, in fact my blood pressure has gone up! She didn’t want to believe me, had me bring in my blood pressure machine, then said it was inaccurate and would not change to another med, so I in the process of finding another doctor altogether”

billgary March 18, 2009

Micardis (telmisartan): “At one time I was taking as much as 5 different blood pressure medicines at a time trying to find something that would lower it from around 200/110. After a year of that I changed doctors and I was given Micardis HCT 80/12.5. That was four or five years ago and my BP is now averaging 128/74. If there are any side effects I sure haven't noticed.”

bird August 31, 2019

“I have tried several medications for HBP. Telmisartan has great 24 hour control of BP @ 80mg daily. Orher meds such as lisinopril wear off too quick and don't offer good 24 hour control. I have also read that telmisartan even has a slight positive effect on people that may be prediabetic with A1c of 5.7 or more. It is true that there is some orthostatic blood pressure drop when bending over, etc but this is minor compared to other BP meds I have tried.”

MojoMater March 21, 2018

“I am 64 year old white male that is very healthy, DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet and am 163 lbs at 69". Have been taking 20mg nightly for about a month. I was very concerned that I was having a reaction to Telmisartan initially, but decided to stay the course. My BP settled in to 133/80. I take the lowest dose that gets you in the acceptable range. I take it at night before going to bed. My side effects are: Morning grogginess up to lunchtime, slight tinnitus, mental sharpness. I am noticing that it does take time to adjust to this medication.”

Kath Wilson · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 7, 2015

Micardis (telmisartan): “I have been taking this medication for about 3 months now and don't think I can stand the side effects any longer. I am constantly itchy -everywhere -new rashes appear constantly. My eyes are red, swollen and itchy to the point where it now looks like I have healing black eyes. Blood pressure down but side effects are too much.”

Kleewyck · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2019

“I began taking Telmisartan (40mg) for high blood pressure in Nov 2018 - age is 77. My pressure went back to 120/80 but as time went on I experienced muscle pain (tendinitis); difficulty in putting a sentence together, could not remember words and forgot them right away after being told what they were; gained weight; had mild headaches; swelling. Today I decided to do a little research and I realized I was experiencing side effects. Hopefully I will find another way to deal with my blood pressure.”

Anonomys July 24, 2009

Micardis (telmisartan): “Soon after starting Micardis I suffered from dizziness, nausea, irritability and I had no energy. It continued, then I started shortness of breath. Was told by my doctor it was not the medication. I went to a cardiologist and she kept me on it and put me on Imdur. Then severe headaches occurred. I'm now going natural and taking my chances.”