User Reviews for Tapentadol

Also known as: Nucynta, Nucynta ER

Learn more about Tapentadol.

Tapentadol Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1875 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Tapentadol to treat Pain

Nucynta (tapentadol): "I have severe back pain and have been prescribed norco 10 Mg 6x day for almost two years. I moved and got in with a new doctor. She prefers a conservative approach since I am young and there is risk for addiction with opiates. I am on Nucynta 100 mg IR and it works great. There really is no change in the way it helps with pain or makes me feel from the norco. I like the nucynta better personally. Only con is that it is expensive and insurance does not want to cover it."

RBrody (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2017

Nucynta (tapentadol): "Was put on nucynta 100 mg every six hours for a two week trial after 60 mg of morphine long term use and tolerance. I have had major hot flashes, headaches, nausea At first I thought maybe the conversation wasn't done correctly but this medicine just flat out does not work for me at all. I woke up with night sweats, had to go to the bathroom and couldn't go. I'd rather go back on the morphine and adjust the dosage up. They can have this drug."

Jam10307 January 4, 2017

Nucynta ER (tapentadol): "Since 2002, when I had a terrible car accident....Durango hit my Civic, while I was 1st at a stoplight, (stopped), at 50 mph. Been thru 3 cervical fusions from the best docs in the USA, 2nd surgery was a failed fusion. Third surgery in 2013, I now have 7 levels fused, from C2-T1, and a recent lumbar fusion from L3-L5. I am bionic, except for the agonizing pain I've endured for YEARS! Finally on disability, both b/c of spine, severe poly-neuropathy, and severe fibro all over. Nucynta is a HUGE blessing! No foggy head and dwindling down on Norco intake! I feel ALIVE! 200 mg ER x 2/day and down to 4 Norcos for breakthru. It IS A GOD SEND! I can once again be productive, happy and damn nearly pain free. I am blessed! No, it doesnt give you a hi"

Suz1133 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2016

Nucynta (tapentadol): "A friend gave me two 50 mg and said it was good pain pill, but I took both of them and it did NOTHING! What a waste!"

Larlee76 (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2016

Nucynta ER (tapentadol): "My anesthesiologist prescribed be Belbica for the RSD. No relief and a migraine to boot. So about two weeks ago he switched me to Nucynta ER 100 bid with a max of 4 Norco 7.5/325 for breakthrough pain daily. I am waiting for the intrathecal pain pump. My insurance company denied the procedure saying they needed more info so now they are going to have a "peer to peer" TODAY with the spinal surgeon. I am tired of all the different medications, the side effects and feeling like a lab tab. Have maxed out the lumbar punctures too as minimal relief was achieved. I am fortunate to have a fantastic anesthesiologist (pain mgmt) who genuinely cares about ME and the situation I am in. Nucynta seems to give little relief. Will take any I can get"

DoubleRSD (taken for less than 1 month) December 16, 2016

Nucynta (tapentadol): "I was put on this so called pain medication 2 days ago. I have dealt with the hot flashes, which was no fun. Today , I'm breaking out all over my body, having serious diarrhea , and had to take Zofran from puking. I felt I was out in left field somewhere roaming around when I was on it and did not like the feeling. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

Nucynta ER (tapentadol): "I have 4 slipped discs and a self fusing spine and I'm only 36. I have terrible OA in my spine that's hereditary. I failed epidural injections. The nerve pain kept me in bed crying most days and I couldn't be a wife or mom. I started on Norco, then moved to Ocycodone. They added neurontin and nothing took care of the burning shooting pain that was at the base of my skull and down my left arm. I got interminent relief for one year. I changed doctors and they put me on Nucynta ER 250mg once a day! I can honestly say I am pain free. I only take this and an anti inflammatory. I will say the consistent side effect is Nausea Vomiting and no appetite. I don't mind it as I'm finally pain free and I just eat small meals!"

Lulumom (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2016

Nucynta (tapentadol): "Nucynta has been effective for pain management..... But I have developed constipation and prolonged yeast infections."

Carlita1979 December 11, 2016

Nucynta (tapentadol): "I have severe, constant pain following 4 serious car accidents (none my fault) over 14 years. I was taking Oxycontin 10 mg x5 per day and my Dr. recommend I try Nucynta. I don't know why. It was more expensive and not available in a generic form. After three days I felt it was less effective in controlling my pain. On the fourth day I woke up and felt I had nothing to live for and my life had no meaning. I have depression and PTSD caused by the accidents but these conditions are well controlled by other medications. I normally don't have these thoughts. I beleived this was a side effect of the Nucynta so I immediately stopped taking it and those thoughts went away right after."

senecawoman5 (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2016

Nucynta (tapentadol): "This has worked great for me. Manages my pain well and my only side effect is feeling sleepy towards evening. I've taken it for over four years and am now reducing daily dosage with pain still managed well."

CDM4 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 11, 2016

Nucynta ER (tapentadol): "I took it for three 1/2 weeks it gives some pain relief. 200 MG per day. I prefer the hydrocodon. It made me very tired after 6 8 hours, and effected my vision some when reading close. Probably good for some if you don't travel much and can just stay home."

James more November 30, 2016

Nucynta ER (tapentadol): "This medicine made me dizzy and didn't help me with the pain at all...I was vomiting after about six hours....is nothing like I'm use too... There is something in this medicine that's isn't good and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone."

Angel west (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2016

Nucynta (tapentadol): "I have severe IC. This is the only Med that my Urologist will prescribe for my 9/10 pain. I take 50mg 3x/day. It does lower pain level to a 1/2. However I get headaches and just a bit "foggy". All things considered though I cannot function with the pain so I have to tolerate these side effects in order to live a "normal" life. Norco did work better but my MD will no longer prescribe that due to addiction possibilities."

BroncosFan6761 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2016

Nucynta ER (tapentadol): "I have herniated disc and arachnoiditis, degenerative arthritis in upper spine and left hip. I have had three meniscus repairs and the replacement of my left knee. I need the right knee replaced when possible. I have also had a disc fused in my neck. I am on nucynta er 50mg twice a day, percocet 7.5mg 5 times daily, plus soma. I am still suffering a lot of pain in the 8 - 9 range most of the time. I get very little sleep because of the pain and burning. The Nucynta ER helps but need something better then the percocet...I hate the feeling it causes. I am waiting (jumping through hoops) for the insurance to approve a nerve stimulator implant and praying it will give me at least 50% relief. I have not tried the Nucynta IR, will ask dr."

MS Caretaker (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2016

Nucynta (tapentadol): "I have a form of muscular dystrophy and take this for my chronic severe pain. I've been on the immediate release 2x 50 mg a day. It is a miracle for me. I can function way better than I could on norco or oxy and it works way better for managing my pain than lesser pain killers like ultram. I've tried both the ER and IR and found the ER to not be as effective for me. nucynta IR has seriously given me more quality of life. The only downside for me is there is not yet a generic available and it's extremely expensive (even with insurance)."

Twenty something chronic pain (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 3, 2016

Nucynta (tapentadol): "DO NOT TAKE THIS PILL...!! IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS PLAY IT SAVE!!! THIS PILL gave me brain fog after only a few days... my pain INCREASED!!!! I was in so much pain my husband couldn't touch me!! Pain from head to toe... when I stopped taking it, within one day I was back to my normal fibromyalgia pain .., I was starting to think being dead would be better than feeling like that all the time !! BE VERY CAREFUL!!!"

Dennypig (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2016

"My rheumatologist, who is also a pain specialist, recently put me on topentodol for arthritic pain and it has reduced the pain significantly. I have an allergic itching reaction to many drugs but apart from initial sleepiness I have not had any side effects. My specialist told me that topentadol will not help fibromyalgia pain, a ketamine infusion is best for that."

Leemac2 November 1, 2016

Nucynta (tapentadol): "I have been on 100 mg Nucynta 4x a day for several years. Took a long time for me to grow used to it but alas.. i did. And you will. I never had any side effects at all and this med initially controlled the pain from a level 2 fusion, facet joint arthritis of the spine, 5 exploratory wrist surgeries and some other things but didn't last long.. I have never tried any other narcotic for pain and have decided since opiates have gotten so badly out of hand lately and the laws are going to be majorly tightening on them soon that I am not refilling the Nucynta this time. I am going off the pain killers cold turkey. Good luck to you all with your pain and finding what works for you all."

Tracy210T (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 24, 2016

"This medication was sold hard to me by the pain specialist. Overall he was selling candy. I have been on opioids for 10 years and this medication is a joke. It has not helped with any form of pain relief."

Chronic Pain man 1 September 27, 2016

Nucynta ER (tapentadol): "Works well to control my pain. I have been on fentanyl for 8 years. Converting to this drug has many good results. There are however many side effects but I hope to control some by tolerance until drug is completely in system"

Keith esson August 25, 2016

Nucynta (tapentadol): "I have been on so many hydrocodone & oxicodone strengths & combinations that have given me, on a scale of 0 - 10, a 3 at best. I have degenerative disc disease, bulging discs, and hip/SI joint pain from ankylosing spondylitis. I don't take it every day, but as I need to. That should say something right there! I take the 50mg, up to 2x/day. It didn't make me sick to my stomach either. I will add one caveat - I have not gotten any migraine relief, which is what it was originally prescribed for."

Lady Anne (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2016

Nucynta (tapentadol): "I've been on nucynta 150mg for months, I feel no relief of my pain, which is sever in my back. This drugs doesn't even make me sleepy, it's as if I'm taking nothing! I feel it is worthless as a form of pain management!"

Christine Lynn August 23, 2016

Nucynta (tapentadol): "ok"

lacys August 20, 2016

Nucynta ER (tapentadol): "I have OA in my knees and muscular joint pain. I took Oxycodone for several years. I have a T11/12 herniation and 2 lumber bulges. The spinal issues cause my feet to burn after lying in bed for a couple hours which lead to many sleepless nights. I was prescribed Gabapentin. It was 90% efficient in blocking the neuropathy but caused horrible cognitive side effects. I asked the doctor to let me try Nucynta. Not only did it work better than the oxy on my OA and such, it was nearly as effective as the gabapentin for nerve pain. I take Nucynta ER 50 twice daily and Nucynta IR 50 once daily if needed. The Nucynta causes no euphoria as with the oxycodone. I sleep 8 hours a night and no burning sensation in my feet."

Faithinmymeds August 20, 2016

Nucynta ER (tapentadol): "Saw pain Doc went over all my test, MRI results and did an exam. Should have known he was a Nucynta ER pusher by all the posters in the office. Started me off at 150 mg x2 a day , and in the beginning it seem to work alone with Dilaudid fir BT pain. Saw the Doc 2 days before surgery and 3 months on Nucynta ER I told him it wasn't really working for me he said well let's UP your dose to 200 mg 2x a day. I had surgery no issues. Until I started back on the Nucynta ER. I had hallucinations, loss of memory and violent rage. I don't remember the last two days I was taking the medication. I ended up in the ER 3 days after spine surgery cause I went into a fit of rage. Pain Doc was called he said it was the Nucynta and to stop taking it. Bad drug"

Ace261 August 13, 2016