User Reviews for Carafate to treat Stomach Ulcer

Carafate has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 16 ratings for the treatment of Stomach Ulcer. 38% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 44% reported a negative effect.

Carafate Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Stomach Ulcer.

Reviews for Carafate

Raphael December 18, 2020

“Absolutely awful! Even the liquid form if this was garbage. Never took the burn away from my gastritis and like a user said below, it made me feel very very full. I would drink water and would feel absolutely ridiculously full. Seriously thought I had some other condition. It also made me feel very lightheaded and short of breath. Felt as if my blood pressure dropped. Avoid”

Anonymous October 27, 2008

“Carafate Suspension was prescribed by my doctor because of stomach problems caused by taking pain killers and anti-inflamatory drugs for knee injury. Already taking Omeprozole but it was not doing the trick. The carafate worked great. Realy calmed down the acid reflux.”

Ozzy's Mom December 30, 2016

“For roughly a month I had horrible stomach pain. I have an umbilical hernia and thought it might be a side effect of that, but after laying in bed for the better part of 2 weeks with pain I wouldn't wish on anyone, my husband demanded I go to e.r. After reviewing my CT scan, my family doctor thinks it's an ulcer, although I have not had the camera run down there yet to find out for sure. The e.r. gave me a Carafe script and I would say within a couple of days I was a new person. This drug along with Pantoprazole have all but eliminated my pain, heartburn and reflux!”

Ambs · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2019

“Found out I have a stomach ulcer and hiatal hernia. Doctor prescribed me carafate and it’s day two and I feel like I am feeling worse. My head is pounding it hurts so bad my throat feels dry and slightly swollen and I feel extremely dizzy and weak.. I’m hoping this will wear off and when I get my swallow test done it will help reduce my anxiety. I just need to feel better I am scared to go back to work feeling like this.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2013

“Carafate worked really well in calming the pain. I didn't have a problem with constipation as I was unable to eat solid food at that point but after a couple of days of using it I was actually able to eat for the first time in weeks.”

Shaunaj · Taken for less than 1 month September 10, 2013

“Carafate worked miracles. I wasnt able to eat much while on it but it did stop the pain from my Ulcer. I didn't realize it but it did make me constipated and I was really gassy which in turn caused pain but I would rather have gassy pain then the pain from the ulcer.”

wnbck April 5, 2010

“This is a great medication for ulcer pain. But there is one major side effect that is intolerable, constipation. After using it for two days my stool was so hard that it took 2 Fleet water enema's and a mineral oil enema just to get the stool down. ”

Bellaluna0411 November 3, 2017

“I suffer from anxiety, and have been having stomach issues for like 8 months. Went to the GI they wanted to perform an endoscopy but I'm 9 weeks pregnant which make things even worst. I have bad upper stomach pain, really bad burning on stomach and chest. I had to come off my antacid because I'm doing a breath test to test for h pylori. So my GI prescribed carafate 1mg. 4x a day, took my first dose at 11pm, fell asleep like around 12:30am. Woke up at 2am feeling really nauseas, back pain, really bad tummy ache, headache, and this went on for like 4 more hours, and to make things worst it got me anxious.. calling my doctor today, not happy with the side effects plus I'm feeling really weak. Don't know if I should keep taking it.”

dani 94 June 14, 2017

“I was prescribed this with protonix after having intense pain from gastritis. I can't really tell if it's helping. My doctor said the stomach lining is something that takes a while to heal so I guess I will just have to wait and see. I am going back 2 weeks after starting carafate. My stomach hasn't had any major flare ups but some days it definitely hurts and I think I'm having some intense back pain because of the carafate. I've been trying not to take too much advil but I can't even sleep because of the back pain.”

Oltim · Taken for less than 1 month March 25, 2018

“Sucralfate was prescribed for my stomach ulcer! I took it (1 go) 4 times a day! First pill taken almost chocked me to death! You should split the pill and in a small cup add a small amount of warm water, dissolve the pill, add a small amount more of water and swallow it. I doesn’t taste bad! After 4 treatments, during the night my lower back pain and thigh muscles were excruciating!”

Tallbearish June 28, 2017

“I had an (undiagnosed) bleeding ulcer (from gastric bypass surgery). Doctor prescribed the liquid form, but $500 for the liquid?? The pharmacist kindly told the pill form is $4. Ugh, I hate this stuff! I am supposed to take it 4 times a day, but it starts dissolving the moment it hits the back of my throat... Its like tasting nasty sand! The coughing fits almost get painful, and then it feels like it i'explodes' in my stomach- so I can forget eating for the next 3-4 hours. Ugh. Seems I have a choice (my 'pouch' is still very small 5 months out), take this OR have room for hydration OR food, not all of the above, am asking my doc tomorrow about it...”

Alaeyna · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 1, 2018

“Late last year , I went to my doctor because I was having mild stomach pains, little to no appetite, and (the worst and most concerning one for me), completely randomly feeling like I was going to vomit; to the point where I actually had to go to the bathroom or outside, but never did. (Might just be because I have a strong stomach that I didn’t?). And then right after that passed, I would feel extremely hungry- stomach growling and hunger pains. But still no appetite. That was very concerning to me considering I very rarely vomit for any reason. So anyway, I went to the doctor and he told me I had most of the symptoms of an ulcer and he was sure that’s what it was. He prescribed me this medication. I never had any tests or anything done to see inside my stomach or anything though. But I took it as prescribed, and the symptoms went away for a few days but then came back. And now it keeps coming back. Seeing the doctor soon and going to ask for a different medication.”

CMc · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2019

“Got relief from the burning in my stomach. But, horrible headache and insomnia. Couldn’t sleep more than 1 hour . Had to stop by the second day!”

Cute · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2019

“In five days - from severe evening upper belly pain to none. 10 out of 10!”

Greta · Taken for less than 1 month December 13, 2020

“I am taking it for intense stomach pain on left side, pain is horrible, nauseated all the time and Burping continuously, no appetite. It is my first day with carafate, I hope it works”

Jeanie p I · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 29, 2016

“I was put on carafate for stomach ulsers.I am also taking two 30 mg. Of prevacid a day. Since starting the carafate my indigestion has come back pretty bad.”

jenny93308 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 28, 2018

“I took this for gastritis. 10 out of 10”

Anonymous December 3, 2016

“Just decided to check because it dawned on me that it seems when I take the generic brand of carafate, I feel nausea when earlier I did not!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2021

“I've have multiple ulcers and each time I was prescribed Carafate, it made the pain 10x worse. Really bad nausea and headaches. I still have never found relief from an ulcer.”