User Reviews for Carafate to treat Duodenal Ulcer

Carafate has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Duodenal Ulcer. 70% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Carafate Rating Summary

7.6/10 average rating

Compare all 71 medications used in the treatment of Duodenal Ulcer.

Reviews for Carafate

Cynthiajschmitt December 16, 2008

“I had several ulcers the pain was tremendous. After a week in the hospital I was given this medication and others. This medication worked miracles. I wasn't told that if I stopped taking it my ulcer would come back (my ulcers are not from bacteria). They came back and I began the medication again and I am fine now. You must take the medication all the time.”

Anonymous September 1, 2009

“It takes a long time to be effective. Don't be surprised that it may take 2 bottles (at 30day supply/ bottle) to get results. Condition will slowly improve. It usually is taken 4 times daily. Easier to do 1 hour before meals than 3 hours after. My schedule 6:30 am, 11 am, 4 pm and then before bed. Be sure to have FULL (8 - 10oz.) glass of water. Otherwise blue pill will cause stool to be DARK GREEN.”

Ceen · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2019

“First I must say I started feeling better pretty much right away on this med, and then I almost choked to death! I cut the pull in half, took half and it was stuck and I panicked! I ended up getting it down( because I tried to get it back up but didn’t work) but I am still left with a horrible taste in my throat 5 hours later. I did call pharmacy and they said to dissolve in a small med cup of water and drink it, thank god because I don’t want to be that scared again!”

Miss Heath December 14, 2010

“I have both an ulcer in my stomach as well as duodenitis (two ulcers in the upper part of my small intestine)--this was all discovered during my endoscopy. I was given this medication and am still on it...immediately I had dry mouth, mild headaches and that dizzy/vertigo feeling which I just thought were my sinuses acting up until I looked up the side effects. It's changed my bowel motions for sure, more towards constipation which then causes an upset stomach for me, mainly in the morning.”

tammykee March 20, 2012

“I have been on Carafate for almost 6 weeks for an ulcer. It has not helped me at all. I still have the extreme abdominal pain all night long. I was check for H pylori and it was negative. I had all kinds of ultrasounds done and they all came back fine. I was also given Dexilant to take. I take the Carafate 4 times a day and no luck for me. I am seeing another doctor today. It just is not working for me. And as others said, it does make you consipated for sure. I wish it worked for me like some of the others, but it is not.”

ldebe March 9, 2009

“I have had pains in my upper abdomen at the center right edge of my ribs, the pain radiates into my back and we are looking to find why. An endoscopy found a little ulcer so they did a biopsy just in case and we are also doing other tests. Anyway I was prescribed Carafate Suspension and it causes intense diarrhea.”

MJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 30, 2020

“Amazingly good results with the Carafate liquid. I was BLESSED to find an MD who actually listened to me both as an inpatient and subsequently an office patient. He has continued my liquid. I have to say I wish the price was lower BUT if I have to choose between paying more and suffering less, I'll figure out how to pay more.”

MsB · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2020

“I was given this medication to take prior to knowing if I had a ulcer and endoscopy. It gave me insomnia after a week usage. Will not be taking it anymore.”

d398c574 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2019

“I was prescribed Carafate Suspension and it causes intense diarrhea."”

YarnCrazy March 1, 2010

“I developed an ulcer after gastric bypass surgery. Carafate has worked quickly to relieve the volcano like feeling in my new stomach pouch.”

Nicky April 17, 2021

“I was taking Nexium it didn’t work well so the Dr also put me on Carafate it doesn’t work at all I’ve been on it for almost 8 weeks!!”

Sunny · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2020

“2 minutes after swallowing a 1 gram pill, the nerves in my teeth and jaw hurt. They hurt for a long time, over 2 hours. Carafate does work well on the stomach pain.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2017