User Reviews for Gelsyn-3 to treat Osteoarthritis

Gelsyn-3 has an average rating of 4.2 out of 10 from a total of 20 ratings for the treatment of Osteoarthritis. 35% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 65% reported a negative effect.

Gelsyn-3 Rating Summary

4.2/10 average rating

Compare all 182 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Gelsyn-3

tana · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2021

“I just finished the third injection of Gelsyn. I went to the Ortho because my kees hurt at night. I was able to walk, work on my vegetable garden, and my flower bed before the injections. Now, I am not able to do anything, my knees hurt all the time and every time that I walk there is so much pain in my knees and run through my legs. Every morning when I get up, the pain is so excruciated I that have to used a walker all the time now. I sent a message to my doctor and he responded that if I am on blood thinner or have kidney problems, they can't do anything. I responded that I am not either one. He didn't tell me about the side effects. I trusted him and now I am a cripple. The nurse that administer the shots, said that it will take 6 weeks to feel better. I will see if it is true. 5/11/21”

Peaches44 · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2021

“Started horrific left knee pain out of the blue on Feb 4. MRI said Grade 4 osteoarthritis of left knee. What happened to Grades 1, 2 and 3, I don't know. Initial pain was excruciating and I was using walker. Osteo doctor gave me a cortisone shot which relieved the pain so that I could hobble without artificial aid. Moved to Gelsyn-3. I had the 3rd injection on Tuesday. Every time, I had a really sore calf muscle to go with the knee pain and after this last injection I swear the knee pain is worse. I've not been able to lie down to sleep since February 5 and so now my calves and feet are full of fluid that diuretics won't budge. After the last injection, the osteo doctor referred me to a surgeon, asking me if I was averse to surgery. After this last 2.5 months, I would have it tomorrow if I could.”

Hurting April 20, 2021

“I received Gelsyn 3 injections in both knees, my doctor changed my medicine from Supartz to the Gelsyn 3 without consulting with me about the medicine change. I had extreme pain in both knees and dizziness upon leaving the doctor's office which only became worse along with injection site pain and excessive kneecap area swelling. Terrible bone and muscle pain all the way along my femur bones . Also hives around injection site. After each shot I had a terrible trouble walking and had to be on bed rest for 3 to 5 days after each injection. Rest assured I will never have these injections again, and as of today I still haven't had any relief and I'm still in pain everyday. The injections actually made my knees worse. I have problems from these injections and pain that I didn't even have prior to this terrible drug. I reportedly side effects to my doctor and the drug company but nobody seems concerned. I have never regretted anything more.”

Anonymous November 19, 2019

“1st injection Nov 16th stopped my knee from popping and pain relieved. On my second injection 11/19/19 No pain with the injections Make sure you get a dr who has done a lot of these procedures and is good at it.”

Marty · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 21, 2020

“I’ve had arthroscopic surgery in both knees 4-5 years ago. Having osteoarthritis, I’ve been limping and not being able to walk more than a couple of blocks at a time or go up and down stairs. I started Gelsyn 3 two years ago. I felt relief a month later that lasted 4 months. Six months after the first series of injections, I went in for another series. This time I decided to strengthen my knees and cut out sugar which I felt caused inflammation.I was able to start working out my legs and walk a couple of miles. I just recently went back for another round of Gelsyn, however it’s been almost 15 months. I highly recommend Gelsyn 3 and for best relief add strength training.”

nightnursejay · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

“I am on my 2nd injection of Gelsyn-3 and the pain is gone but my knees feel wobbly, like my kneecaps are rolling around. I am going to take the 3rd injection and subsequent injections as needed along with the Kenalog injections every 3 months. In the meanwhile, I am gonna work on losing the extra 33lbs I gained because that is when the knee pain started.”

Rita · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2019

“I have bone spurs and osteoarthritis in my left knee. I am a candidate for a total replacement, however, I am trying to postpone surgery for as long as I can. My doctor recommended the 3-shot series. I had my first one yesterday. I have not had any side effects from it other than a little soreness where it was injected. I am hopeful that this will buy me some time.”

Greg · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 22, 2018

“I had bad knees and had to hang on to the railing and felt a lot of pain going up the stairs. I had 3 injections of Gelsyn-3 around July of this year. I had wanted knee replacement but my doctor my doctor said that should be the last option. I had babied my knees because of the pain. Then the nurse told me that before I am given knee replacement they would like to see my knees get stronger. So I started exercising my knees which felt a little better after the injections. Now I can go up the stairs without pain and can sometimes try to scamper up the stairs. I will continue my exercises and after 6 months see if another round of shots is required.”

JoJo · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 16, 2020

“I had the last of my three injections 8-21-20. No relief after any of the shots and no relief to date (10-16-20). Pain is as bad or worse. Over the years I’ve received Synvisc and it was a miracle cure lasting sometimes two years. But my insurance wouldn’t authorize Synvisc. Since I already received the Gelsyn injections I have to wait until Feb ‘21 before I can try to get a Synvisc. Meanwhile each day I’m in extreme pain. Ic don’t think Gelsyn compares to Synvisc.”

jen · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2020

“I have bad knees walk my dog ,garden and swim. I had the first round of gelsyn3 and felt fine. Second injection hurt bad in right knee. Took my dog for a little walk and 2 hours later my right knee hurt so bad was dragging my leg. Four days later and I cannot bend my knee to get in the car. I will not get third injection someone else was complaining about headache, I also had one. ,.,”

mom November 9, 2018

“In June I had Gelsyn-3 injections; about 4 wks later, I began to have feeling of something crawling on my legs . A couple weeks later ; painful spasms in both thighs. I don't know if it was reaction to the injections ; but this is now getting worse. I just wondering if anyone else has had the reaction after taking injections. Thanks for your input.”

Pain is not paradise · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2018

“Got first shot 4 days ago and my knee has been swollen every day since, ankles are both swollen, cannot bend knee and scared to even move...especially walk. Not sure I will make it to where I need to go. Before the shot at least I could get around now what am I to do? Knee replacement seems to be the only option. Contemplating!!”

Memrnc · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 17, 2018

“I have two bad knees. The doctor had put Orthovisc in the right one a few years ago and it’s been fine. The left one has become failing so he agreed to inject it with a solution. I thought it would be the same thing. On the third injection I saw the tube and it was marked Gel-SYN3. That was 2 months ago. I am still unable to walk or climb up stairs without hold my breath. I have to help my legs out of the car. After sitting I have to raise myself to standing with my arms. My right knee is starting to fail again because of the stress on it. I will refuse to have Gel -SYN3 placed inside my right knee joint after the first experience. The stuff caused my entire leg to swell and a lump formed behind my knee.”

BP · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2019

“I had my 3rd injection of Gelsyn-3 this week. Two days after, I started experiencing severe lower back pain and also severe muscle pain in both of my thighs. I hope this doesn’t last too much longer, it is one of the side effects. So far, no relief for my knee pain.”

Candie August 4, 2019

“I had my first Gelsyn 3 shot 8-2-2019. I use a cane to walk. I know I had bad headache, nausea and body hurt, didn't feel like eating. My knee has no relief at all yet. Knee replacement last option. I pray by the 2nd injection it will improve.”

Vicki · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 17, 2019

“I had 3 injections a week apart in September 2018 in my right knee. The injections were extremely painful as the dr moved the needle around under my kneecap. I think the injections were somewhat helpful but did not entirely relieve my knee pain, especially from a bone spur. I finally had a total knee replacement last month and I hope I will be pain free soon.”

BPM · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2021

“Had the full series of 3 Gelsyn-3 injections done, and in all honesty, my knee feels worse now than it did before I started this treatment. I work construction, and after the treatments, my knee doesn't feel stable enough to climb ladders, and I'm having trouble getting in and out of the back of my truck. Would not recommend this product to anyone.”

chankers · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2021

“I have been getting knee injections for several years with great results. Last week, the physician gave me Gelsyn-3 instead of my regular one. I had many adverse effects from the drug; edema, joint pain, heat on the knee, bruising, etc. Went in today for my second injection and found out what happened. I was given Gelsyn-3 because the physician said they were reimbursed for a higher rate than Gelsyn-3. I called Bioventus and reported the adverse effects from their drug. They were very nice and recorded the information. I also contacted Medicare. Long story short, will be seeing another physician at a different practice because of this. Physicians should always discuss with their patients when something is changed so that the patient can make the decision. Not even an apology that I had a negative reaction.”

Sugar · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2021

“Had the entire series of Gelsyn. My knee feels worse than before. I can barely walk or put any weight on the knee. I have had low back pain and I've also had cramping sensation and spasm in the knee. The pain is excruciating. I'm very disappointed as I'm not wanting surgery. I personally would not recommend this drug.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 9, 2019

“I have been getting Gelsyn 3 every 6 months for 2 years. They work great for me and I can play tennis and workout pain free! They are a God send!”

dfs3660 · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2018

“Earlier today I had the 3rd dose of Gelsyn 3 in both knees. As in the 1st and 2nd injections I developed a slight fever and headache but this has really improved the pain in my knees.”

Ks · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2018

“This made the pain worse. I can't walk and my both feet gets pain as well. ( it's a 1st injection)”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 6, 2018

“I received 3 injections and I thought after the last injection that I would be fine. Not at all, I’m still a lot of pain. So perhaps my doctor will find something else for me.”

Learn more about Osteoarthritis