User Reviews for Sitagliptin

Also known as: Januvia

Learn more about Sitagliptin.

Sitagliptin Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 159 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Sitagliptin to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Januvia (sitagliptin): "I have had type 2 for about 6 years and used the Metaformin, which with constant usage reduced in its effectiveness. I was told to reduce my Metaformin to 1 per day and take Januvia. I lost 12 KG in 4 weeks, most excellent, and then 2 weeks ago severe pain in my right knee... After many X-rays and MRTs I was diagnosed with Arthritis and told to take pain killers and consider a replacement in the next 10 years.despite both of my doctors knowing that I am diabetic type 2, and both knowing that I take Januvia, they did not inform me of any side effects and so I believed the information and set about studying what I could to to repair the damage..Then I had pain in my Hips, fingers, and cramp in the legs. Googled and found this site..."

Chris Pibs (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2016

Januvia (sitagliptin): "The side effects of 50 mg Januvia with Metformin ER were horrendous. Painful finger joints. Swelling fingers. Stuffy ears. Unbelievable dizziness which caused nausea and dry heaves. The diarrhea has been so awful that I can't leave home. I stopped the Januvia 4 days ago. The dizziness stopped fist. Then my hands settled down. The diarrhea has not stopped. My DR believes that I have parasites because Januvia, in conjunction with Metformin ER, doesn't cause diarrhea like this. Getting tested tomorrow AND I have to go back on Januvia. Not looking forward to this at all. What a mess."

XYD July 28, 2016

"I have been on Januvia 100mg at bedtime. I always struggled with FBS in the mornings. So added Januvia to Metformin. My A1C has dropped from 6.8 to 5.9 in 6 months. I have had no side effects that I am aware of. I have been able to loose 35 pounds as well with walking 4 days a week."

HBA1C dropped and lost weight June 28, 2016

"blood sugar higher while taking then it was before I started it makes you hungry witch I don't need I am not happy with this drug"

texas type 2 June 9, 2016

"I have not had any serious side effects (that I am aware of) but I have had 0 weight loss even though I am on a very strict diet of no bread, or sugar. I also have not seen any decrease in my appetite, it may have increased it. It seems to me it has also had minimal effect on my blood sugar. I don't think I am a fan."

gpmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

Januvia (sitagliptin): "Not sure about any medicine I take. But Januvia was 56 bucks in Sept 14, now it is 96 bucks, Got a letter from them after complaining, their answer priced competitively, what does that mean when there is not competition????? There is no Generic and they know it. Tempted to take myself off of it, found that if I forget it for two days, I crash when resuming the medicine.."

postal1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016

Januvia (sitagliptin): "This drug came after a bad reaction to Metformin. It is definitely not any better. From day one I have had diarrhea. And the heaviness in my arms is still present. Now the leg spasms are showing up but it is the abdominal pain and the excruciating back pain that take this drug out of the running. I am coming off of it. I can't afford for this drug to kill me. Nausea has been a problem within 3 days of beginning it. Be wary. . .be alert."

ChapKat (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

Januvia (sitagliptin): "My A1c was 13.9 and I was Prescribed Januvia 100mg Tab 34 Days ago & my A1c is now a 9.6. I have noticed a Change of my Health since starting Januvia. I'm experiencing Severe Painful Muscle Spasms to both Legs to Feet, Numbness to Right Arm & Hand, Slight Abdominal Pains, Urination is every 5 Minutes and Bowel Movements are 3 Times/Day & a Slight Pain in Lower Back is Constant. Typing the Keyboard on my Laptop is a Challenge because both Hands and Arms are shaking, 2 hrs to type this Review correctly is a Challenge. Only 34 Januvia Pills later I'm feeling these affects that were not Normal 34 Days ago. My Blood Pressure Meds have been Raised from 10mg to 30mg after 15yrs on 10mg Dosage. Doc said, Keep taking Januvia, Have to get A1c to a 5."

VeteranGA (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2016

Januvia (sitagliptin): "I have had no side effects from Januvia. My A1C went from 9.2 to 5.5 using 1500 mg of Metformin and 100 mg Januvia, and adjusting my diet and exercising a bit. I am lucky in tht neither Metformin or Januvia seems to bother me. There is a savings certificate on the Januvia site to keep the co pay down to $5, normally it would be $55 for me."

MitchFlorida (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2015

Januvia (sitagliptin): "I would have given it a 10 because I felt it was really working for me. But....after about 6 days of having a horrible stomach ache I've thrown in the towel. I just can't take it. I'm really bummed out because I can't take Metformin either. :("

PrincessBailey November 26, 2015

Januvia (sitagliptin): "Works real good, my doctor is happy now. The only side effect is large hard stool which plugs the bathroom plumbing up every time, so I need to carry a plunger with me when away from home. Have been on it for about 3 months now, 100mg daily, along with 1000mg Metformin twice daily, and 4mg Glipizide twice daily."

Joe from Michigan October 9, 2015

Januvia (sitagliptin): "I have been diabetic since 1989 and have gotten worse over the years. My A1C has been climbing steadily. I take Metformin 2500 mg per day. In March my Dr started me on Januvia also and I can't believe the difference. My A1C went from 9.4 to 7.0 in 4 months. I am also surprised I haven't had any side effects because it seems many meds bother me. My problem now is my new health insurance won't cover Januvia as of Jan 2016. Yuck."

Love my Cats (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2015

Januvia (sitagliptin): "My insurance refused to pay for my oseni they told my Dr to try januvia. During the first 7 days I developed a constant cough along with upper stomach pain and diarrhea I stopped med and symptoms ceased, started back on meds yesterday and severe stomach pain returned along with diarrhea. Stopping this med for good - it's not good for me, the side affects are too painful."

Iwd (taken for less than 1 month) September 25, 2015

"Side effects Constipation, back pain, renal dysfunction, anxiety,did not lower my blood sugar."

mboxill August 26, 2015

"My mum started taking this and 2 week later she died of heart and kidney failure. She was 77 and should not have been given these tablets at her age . Take care"

missmymum (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2015

Januvia (sitagliptin): "Been taking Januvia for almost 2 wks .... almost instantly had difficulty breathing, rapid heart beat and coughing. I have more energy but i don't like the side effects. i have a hard time talking bc I'm constantly coughing and thats not good especially when you're a college instructor. Just called my MD to see if there's something else i can try."

Ritacatl August 24, 2015

Januvia (sitagliptin): "Been taking januvia 100 mg a day for 12 days and it has just started to work really well Blood sugar is 6.9 mmol at mid day Very pleased and I have no side effects Fortunately in England diabetics get there meds free on nhs"

Andrew1975 July 24, 2015

Januvia (sitagliptin): "I guess medicines don't work the same for everybody. I have been taking Januvia (50mg) for 6 months now and have had no side effects at all. I take 3 metformin daily. My blood sugar readings have gone down from 8.1 to 6.9 (Canadian scale). I thought I was heading for type 1 but Januvia really works for me. Like many things, you could just try it and see for yourself."

Reidski July 1, 2015

Januvia (sitagliptin): "Side effects were awful."

Anonymous June 8, 2015

Januvia (sitagliptin): "Doc put me on Metformin, which my liver didn't fair well with, and then tried the Januvia 100mg. After 2.5 wks, I told him I was experiencing facial / hand / eye lid swelling and told him I felt this wasn't a good fit for me. So, he prescribed Januvia 50mg, which after three days, caused nausea, upper abdominal pain, orange urine, and skyrocketing BG from low 120's to well over 200's after eating. I immediately quit taking it."

ddw_Atlanta May 13, 2015

Januvia (sitagliptin): "Excellent! I wish they would have left me on it! "

yieyie17 October 5, 2014

Januvia (sitagliptin): "Best taken in the morning. Helps deal with hormone cycling."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 15, 2014

Januvia (sitagliptin): "No noticeable difference with Januvia, which was added to Metformin, Glipizide, and now Victoza. I have been taking the first three meds for a few years. My question is that I often see the entire Januvia pill, undigested, in my stool. Why is this? I tend to be constipated but do not take laxatives. I told my doctor, but she did not seem concerned. If this med is just passing through my body, what is the point? I take my Januvia, and Glipizide before dinner, and my Metformin before breakfast and my night time snack. ( I have high morning sugars.)"

Leopatjen (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 6, 2013

Januvia (sitagliptin): "One month before I got newly diagnosed that I am diabetic. My A1C test shows 6.9 and doctor told I have diabetics. He preferred Januvia 100mg (1 time) with metformin 500 mg (2 times). I felt some side effects initially and gone after some days. Now I am doing regular exercise. But if I stop exercise or eat more food, the side effects like stomach problem easily coming back. Now when I am checking my sugar in device, it's showing around 70-80 on fasting and 90-105 two hours after breakfast. But I think my glucose coming down when I miss a meal any time. I can't tolerate it. So I believe, exercise is more important than any medicine. Once I dropped all medicines for ten days and exercised only, it showed normal glucose levels."

Sree8485 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2013

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Januvia (sitagliptin): "I take Januvia 100mg once daily with metformin and glyburide, and I it works."

troy467 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2013