User Reviews for Sitagliptin

Diabetes, Type 2
4.8

Reviews for Sitagliptin

Cloudyskies · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2019

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “My husband began taking Januvia when his A1C tested at 7.2 in February 2016. Although his level dropped to 5.6 and remained stable, he came down with necrotizing pancreatitis on June 2, 2018. He died on June 26, 2018 after spending 22 days suffering in ICU.”

Tammy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Started taking Januvia with Metformin and BS (blood sugars) normalized. Unfortunately I started having severe joint pain in my shoulders, hands, hips, and back as well as pain in my arm and leg muscles. I’m going to contact my doctor and stop the Januvia. The pain is excruciating!!’”

Sree8485 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2013

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “One month before I got newly diagnosed that I am diabetic. My A1C test shows 6.9 and doctor told I have diabetics. He preferred Januvia 100mg (1 time) with metformin 500 mg (2 times). I felt some side effects initially and gone after some days. Now I am doing regular exercise. But if I stop exercise or eat more food, the side effects like stomach problem easily coming back. Now when I am checking my sugar in device, it's showing around 70-80 on fasting and 90-105 two hours after breakfast. But I think my glucose coming down when I miss a meal any time. I can't tolerate it. So I believe, exercise is more important than any medicine. Once I dropped all medicines for ten days and exercised only, it showed normal glucose levels.”

Laurelanne April 9, 2012

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “On 100 mg daily for almost 2 yrs and could hardly walk, lay or sit anymore. EXTREME joint pain, increasing monthly. Sent to arthritis doctor and ortho with no relief, only more pills. I researched online and found others with same problem. Took myself off Januvia and joint pain is GONE! I can walk again!”

Stay of This NOW · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 13, 2020

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “My mother died from this medication Januvia, the hospital had no reason they said her brain swelled as if someone bludgened her but no bruising. My boyfriend was on this about a year before I met him. Multiple hospitalizations and the Doctors were trying to figure out how to safely get off? If anyone has safely gotten off PLEASE share your experiences. Anyone with a HEADACHE get OFF NOW. Anyone with pancreas pain get OFF NOW. This medication KILLS. Look into the lawsuit's.”

Mitzi · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2019

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Nov. 5 2019 was giving this medicine and didn't have any problems til 3 weeks later, went to the doctor thought I had strep wasn't getting better stayed sick for weeks, woke up nov. Have hands swollen and throat swollen they ER couldn't figure it out, got worse red and purple spots inflamed taste buds, swollen, all signs of bad side effects from Januvia, this drug need to be reviewed, it could have killed me. Shame on the drug company your business is suppose to help peoples health and not make them so much worse. ”

Jane · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2020

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “A1C was 8.2 in December. Was prescribed 100mg daily of Januvia in addition to metformin which I have been on for a few years. By February my A1C was 11.1 and I ended up in the hospital with chest pain and excruciating leg pain. Was taken off Januvia immediately and started feeling better within a couple of days. Still on metformin and now taking insulin. My glucose numbers are back in the normal range and I'm feeling 100% better. I will never take Januvia again!! It's horrible and I will never recommend it to anyone.”

DaveA44-4-44 May 24, 2017

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “For years I was on no drugs for type 2 diabetes, only diet. My a1c test were always around 6.1, and then my dr put me on januvia. My sugars are now averaging 15.7. The dr has just upped my dose to 1-1/2 pills of januvia and added diaformin. WHY?? From good control with no pills to out of control in 4 months. I'm really starting to doubt the doctors motives.”

perduekate January 12, 2008

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on januvia for three weeks.My blood sugar has been great.What a big change from amaryl! And I've lost 5 lbs in these 3 weeks, a side benifit. Have read a scary blog on this drug though, that causes me to be a bit worried. They mention something called Stevens-Johnson syndrom, some are complaining with really bad joint pain, some with really bad acne, and skin infections. Hope they don't come in a few months from now and recall it like they have others in the past.”

Zanersnana · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2019

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been taking Januvia since August 2018. I started itching in about 2 weeks, then started noticing fluid filled bumps where I was itching on backside of my entire body trunk. Went to Dermatologist for 2 months before she finally done 2 biopsies of the bumps since I was miserable itching constantly. Biopsies came back last week showing it was a medication causing these awful effects. She asked about what last medication I had been taking. IT WAS JANUVIA!!”

Anonymous February 6, 2017

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on Januvia for about a year and a half. My AIC went down from 9.0 to 8.0. However, I have developed nausea, dizziness, vomiting which I never know when it will hit. Had colonoscopy and they found nothing. In last six months developed dumbness in my right arm and hand, reflux which keeps me up at night, constant urination about every 45 minutes and fatigue (this has added three more pills to my daily intake for those symptoms). Told my doctor and he said to keep taking Januvia and that I was not getting any younger. However, I read here that others have similar side affects once on Junuvia.”

Payton2 January 25, 2008

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on Januvia for almost a month. My blood sugars run in the 90's, but my appetite has increased and I crave sweets. I have gained 4 pounds and am experiencing all over joint pains and muscle aches. ”

Pa · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2019

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Was on metformin 500mg twice a day. Wasn't working so added Januvua 50 mg. Six days ago. Since taking haven't been thinking clearly. Today was worse and right after taking it with my metformin I felt like I was having a heart attack. Neck hurting bad, chest, and heart rate up really bad. Now I'm getting a little better tonight but neck sore and heart burn. I will never take this drug again. I knew it wasn't right from the beginning.”

Gabby · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2020

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “After a bad case of shingles, my feet were giving me a lot of problems. Felt like I was walking on stones. My dr said my sugar was elevated & prescribed Januvia 50 mg for type 2 diabetes. I had changed my diet drastically. No wheat, pasta, rice, breads, cakes, potatoes, & Counted my carbs, ate more protein , vegetables & fruit. I was on Januvia for one week when I started getting joint & muscle pain very bad. I couldn’t sleep 3 nights in a row because of bad pain in my body. Back pain, shoulders, legs & my feet got worse. I took myself off & called Drs office to tell them my problem with Januvia. It’s now, 2 weeks I’m off it & my pain went away, my feet are back to where they were from nerve problems from shingles. I don’t want to go on another med until I get blood work in 2 weeks just to see if my drastic diet change has changed my readings I’ll never go on Januvia again.”

Pickylady · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 5, 2019

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “My doctor switched me to Januvia last year because I couldn't get past the side effect of diarrhea from metfomin. I It didn't change my AC1 much, but I had zero side effects. 6 months ago I developed "frozen shoulder". The pain in my shoulder is excruciating and I lost mobility in that arm. I went to my doctor twice complaining of this joint pain. She sent me to physical therapy which didn't help. 5 days ago I stopped taking januvia after reading side effects. My shoulder pain is going away. Very disappointed in my doctor.”

fmitchelltx · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 14, 2019

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “My original Doctor that diagnosed me with Type 2 Diabetes told me that he saw no results from Januvia. After he retired, my new doctor believes very strongly in Januvia. I have been taking it for over 2 years and see absolutely no results from taking it. In my experience, Januvia is useless.”

Chris Pibs · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2016

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “I have had type 2 for about 6 years and used the Metaformin, which with constant usage reduced in its effectiveness. I was told to reduce my Metaformin to 1 per day and take Januvia. I lost 12 KG in 4 weeks, most excellent, and then 2 weeks ago severe pain in my right knee... After many X-rays and MRTs I was diagnosed with Arthritis and told to take pain killers and consider a replacement in the next 10 years.despite both of my doctors knowing that I am diabetic type 2, and both knowing that I take Januvia, they did not inform me of any side effects and so I believed the information and set about studying what I could to to repair the damage..Then I had pain in my Hips, fingers, and cramp in the legs. Googled and found this site...”

Anonymous December 1, 2008

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “While I was on Januvia it felt like I was on a high power diet pill. I did not go to the bathroom but once in 5 days, had bloating and stomach problems and it felt like my hormones were out of wack. I could not sleep. This is my second day off Januvia and I can't wait to go home and sleep tonight. All of the not sleeping is finally catching up with me. I hope when someone else tells their doctor about this, you don't get the look like I got. Hope this helps someone.”

strunk · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 15, 2017

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “I took januvia for about 1 year then one day my stomach started to swell up drastically and my wife took me to the hospital when I arrived I could no longer walk and was put in a wheelchair. I was admitted but passed out, when I came to I had 4 I-V's in me and was totally soaked like I had just jumped in a pool. My white blood cell count was over 3,000, off the chart. One nurse accused me of overdosing on street drugs.. I was in the hospital for 3-1/2 days and spent 2 weeks on the couch and 2-3 months having people tell me I looked like I was dying and asked what was wrong. Januvia snuck up on me like a poison snake. It overtook my system in 45 minutes from being with an irritable stomach to knowing I was dying and there was nothing I could do”

Happyman60 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 12, 2012

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “I have been on a combination of Januvia and Metformin (called Janumet) for a year. A HUGE difference with everything that was tried for the last 30 years (I am 60 now). The key factor with this is that its operation depends to some extent on the blood sugar level so it does not cause Hypoglycemia! This enables me to be a bit more hungry before a meal compared to what I was used to (always being scared of entering Hypoglycemia and therefore making sure I was never hungry i.e. eating all the time. It has changed my life. My fasting sugar is 100, my HbA1C is now 5.7 (used to be 140 and 7.0 with normal glib ethic type medication). Unbelievable!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 24, 2017

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Hi I took Januvia for 1 year and 1/2 it was helping me regulate my Diabetes. But I started to have a abnormal pain in my abdomen and didn't know why never though that it was caused because of this medication. one day I had the pain so bad that I couldn't walk or stand, I went to the Hospital got admitted right away because I had Pancreatitis. I got Metformin for my diabetes, for the pain I had a lot of IV's. I stayed in the hospital for 4 days in the 3rd day the doctor told me that the cause of my Pancreatitis was the medication I was taking JANUVIA. I know this works for a lot of people to help them control the sugar like it did for me, but please make sure that you tell your doctor make the necessary test every time you go to see if you are ok internally.”

Insomniac Too · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 17, 2019

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “I was diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago and was given Metformin. Immediately, I had severe stomach pains, nausea, and vomiting. I was switched to Amaryl (dropped my blood sugar constantly), then to Oseni (which worked miracles with the right diet). Then there was a shortage, so I was prescribed Januvia! Januvia doesn't drop my blood sugar if I haven't eaten in a while, and I don't have to be as strict with my dieting (no pasta with Amaryl and Oseni v. pasta with Januvia). With Januvia, my A1C was at a 6.5 and I didn't have any nasty side effects. Januvia is the only medicine I'm on right now for my diabetes and I'm actually glad my doctor fought to get me the medicine.”

Fay · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2019

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “I've been taking metformin and it worked, lost weight, but gave me severe diarrhea. So I was prescribed JANUVIA. The second day I had a crick in my neck on my left side. Woke up again it spread to my right side. Found out it swollen up my lymph nodes. Painful. My body ended up so sore and I was really tired. Please don't take this medication. I'd rather deal with metformin after this.”

Bird May 2, 2019

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “After seeing my doctor, he took me off the Metformin ER 500 mg, because it wasn't helping me. Therefore, he gave me a sample box of Januvia 100 mg to try out. I had the worst experience ever. After 2 days of taking this medicine I began having severe pains in my stomach, back and legs to the point I couldn't walk. The pain was intense, excruciating, agonizing. I discontinued the medicine after the second day I have another doctor appointment and I will be sure to address this issue. If you can maintain your diabetes with diet and exercise please do”

Shorty · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2019

Januvia (sitagliptin) for Diabetes, Type 2: “Hi I took Januvia for approximately 6 weeks. As time went on I started to feel stiffness in my right shoulder I thought nothing of it. Then my neck started stiffening up to the point I could barely drive and at night if I laid on my back I started to wake up through the night it felt like my breathing was cut off, and still I never thought it might be Junuvia .I was taking 50mg in morning with my metformin then it was like my joints In my foot stiffened to the point I could not walk.I called my doctor she told me to stop taking it right away I'm well now but it to me 7 weeks to recover from the stiffness”