User Reviews for Ranolazine to treat Angina

Also known as: Ranexa

Ranolazine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 139 medications used in the treatment of Angina.

Reviews for Ranolazine

Grey · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2020

Ranexa (ranolazine): “I have Microvascular Angina and am already on various medications. I started 375mg of Ranexa twice a day a week ago and I’ve felt like a zombie since, with a permanent headache, dizziness and all I want to do is sleep. Hoping it will ease off.”

Merry March 2, 2020

Ranexa (ranolazine): “Have been on Ranexa for 2 years after having a 2 x bypass 4 years ago - It is the only drug that has given me any relief and a sense of well being. I recently found out the bypass failed, but Ranexa still worked. I take four 500 mg daily - It is easier to swallow.”

Dvd · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2020

“I'm a 62 yr old male. I had a heart attack 11 yrs ago and since then 3 more angiograms totalling 6 stents. I recently had another angiogram after months of chest pain which also radiated to my left arm. It showed my arteries were good but further tests revealed microvascular disease. I started on Ranolazine about 3 weeks ago. After about 4 days the chest/arm pain was gone. The side effects have been constipation and fatigue . I take 1000mg twice a day.”

LDM · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2019

Ranexa (ranolazine): “Started Ranexa two months ago after experiencing extreme throat and jaw pain. Have had four stents in the last twenty years plus a single by-pass surgery. So far, have had no negative side effects and the angina pain left me a week after beginning the medication. Taking 750mg twice a day. Will continue to monitor blood results to see if any long term problems arise.”

Pixie · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2019

Ranexa (ranolazine): “Tried several drugs for angina ranexa gave me a dry mouth at night and was drinking all night also slight headache and affected my breathing I have COPD and asthma”

Clem · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 23, 2019

“In July, 2017, I had a heart attack. I underwent a heart cath and stents places. I was out on Ranexa for angina. A few days after beginning the Ranexa I noted I was not having any pain from my fibromyalgia. I have had fibromyalgia for more than 20years. I discussed this with my cardiologist. He related he shared the information with the drug rep. I continue the Ranexa for angina and am loving no longer experiencing daily pain from fibromyalgia.”

A Nanny Moose · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 20, 2019

“Have taken Ranexa 1000mg b.i.d. for 8+ yrs. I have found it to be outstanding for virtually eliminating my angina. Have had cardiac bypass and four stents. In spring of 2019, switched to generic version. Symptoms returned in two days. I found the generic Ranexa totally ineffective. Petitioning my insurance company to approve brand name version. Have support from cardiologist. It's an expensive drug. I'm soon to be on Obamacare which has poor drug coverage. I'll be taking Ranexa as long as I can afford it.”

Kid · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 21, 2019

Ranexa (ranolazine): “I'm a 55 year old female who experienced early onset heart disease with angina symptoms that I first noticed at age 41. I was 49 before I found a doc who took my symptoms seriously. An angiogram showed an 85% blockage on my LAD and a stent was placed. I thought I was "fixed", but the angina persisted and I was diagnosed with microvascular disease. Ranexa has given back my quality of life, including being able to briskly walk 4-5 miles with the occasional sprint thrown in. If I forget to take it, I experience pain just walking up a small slope. Fortunately, my insurance has covered it after getting a prior authorization. My copay just went from $30/month to $10 thanks to the new generic. Side effects:. Occasional mild dizziness, manageable constipation.”

Chris · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 12, 2019

Ranexa (ranolazine): “The second, third and fourth days of taking Renexa I had radical changes in my systolic pressure and at any moment my BP would be 177 - 185. After thirty minutes everything would be back to normal 125/68. This occurred 3 - 4 times a day. I messaged my cardiologist, he reviewed my symptoms and stated this a known side effect. To prevent it he recommended to stop taking Renexa. Talking to friends on the ones taking the drug has had no side effects.”

Philcho · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2019

Ranexa (ranolazine): “After angiogram last week was told that not possible to continue with the stents - I need a triple bypass. The angina has been getting worse and I need nitro several times a day including waking up at night. In preparation for the op, my doc has put me on Ranexa and within 48 hours I feel great. My heart function is good, no need for nitro and quality of life is so much better. It is expensive but there is now a generic.”

Patient · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 15, 2019

Ranexa (ranolazine): “Ranexa is TOO EXPENSIVE! Cost it ridiculous. For me it's been effective and with minimal to no side affects. Apparently not for the middle class though. Rich can afford it, poor can get it for free. The rest of the population gets screwed.”

Fred · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2019

“Was taking Renexa for almost 6 years . Had no problems no side effects . About a week a go I was forced onto the generic ranolazine . After a day and a half, I felt like I had new blockages, I cant get back on Renexa with out all the test being done . So be careful.”

dwm · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 23, 2019

Ranexa (ranolazine): “I have had a four way bypass and now have 12 stents, still have angina. Dr. put me on Ranexa 500mg twice daily then upped it to 1000mg twice a day. Has helped very well but still get occasional angina. Been on it for 3yrs. Now retired I can no longer afford, don't know what to do, sine I'm on 4 other meds for angina too.”

Tracer · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2019

Ranexa (ranolazine): “Haven’t had much help at all with Ranexa for my Cardiac X Syndrome and I’m so disappointed I could cry. It was my last hope. Apparently Cardiac X syndrome (or Micovascular disease) is a little known & understood thing (unless you venture off to Emory Heart in Georgia - or to some places in Switzerland). In my area - all they do is give you some Ranxea and tell ya to come back in 6 months. Feeling very hopeless.....”

Li January 27, 2019

Ranexa (ranolazine): “Comment to the one that is taking simvastatin with the Ranexa, I read earlier that was one of the medicines that was not to be taken with Ranexa or at least some people need to reduce the simvasatin dose. My dad takes the med for his angina and I was just looking at side effects. His could be from Ranexa but not sure.”

GratefuleD · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2019

Ranexa (ranolazine): “10 years ago at age 46 years old I had a heart attack and quadruple bypass. 8 years ago one stent 4 years ago 2 more stents After over 2 weeks of non-stop angina my only relief was sleeping. After 2 days of 500mg renaxa, felt like a new man. I finally had relief from angina. Some bad side effects of lightheadedness, dizzy headache, and constipation. I had my first Angina attack, nitro helps but thought I had it beat. I would gladly take the bad, but for myself, tolerable side effects for the Angina( Medicaid covers my cost)”

Tjr3101 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 8, 2019

Ranexa (ranolazine): “I still have some pain in my throat and jaw at times but rarely did I get chest pain since being on Ranexa 750mg twice a day. I used to wake up in the night with the most horrendous pain and since taking these it's not happened once. I couldn't even talk in sentences without getting breathless, now that's better too. I'm lucky enough that I live in the UK and we have a National Health Service, however even if I had to get a private prescription these would cost me around £60 per month, which I would most happily pay.”

Artr01 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 16, 2018

Ranexa (ranolazine): “Significant reduction in chest tightness, indigestion and chest pain. I do still occasionally get chest pain that I have to relieve with nitroglycerin but not that often.”

SinCA · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 12, 2018

Ranexa (ranolazine): “I had 2 stents placed 3 years ago. Recently angina has set in and my cardiologist has diagnosed coronary slow flow. He started me on Ranexa and I started to feel better in a few days. Three weeks later we checked for placebo effects by stopping Ranexa; within 30 hours I was having angina again. I restarted Ranexa and the pains went away within 24 hours. This is the first such cardiac drug I have not been allergic to -- I'm allergic to every statin out there. It is sad to read that others have had a bad experience with Ranexa, but it is working for me. I am also pleased to also see that they provide coupons to reduce the price to $5 a month (if you have private insurance).”

DB · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 5, 2018

Ranexa (ranolazine): “Great drug. Was having trouble just walking and felt like garbage until I took this. Upped dosage to 1000mg 2x’s per day on advise of Dr. (Cardiologist). Had strong dizzy feeling. So maybe I take before bed 1000mg but just 500mg in morning. Will follow Dr advice. I’m starting to feel like a walking pharmacy!”

Buzz · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 13, 2018

Ranexa (ranolazine): “I have had good response from Ranexa for the past year but could no longer afford it - $600 per month. I found I can get the generic (ranolazine) through a Canadian company for $60 per month - BIG difference. The formula is consistent and it works the same for me when compared to the high priced brand regardless of what people say about foreign drug companies.”

Donna C · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2018

Ranexa (ranolazine): “I was just prescribed Ranexa 500mg 2 times a day. After 2 full days I had to come off of it. The side effects were horrible, hands swelling, dizziness, feeling faint, heart palpitations, shaking and low blood pressure. Was advised by cardiologist to stop immediately and am scheduled to see him Monday. I stopped it Wednesday evening and side effects are easing up, but not completely gone as of today, Friday”

B · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 4, 2018

Ranexa (ranolazine): “Five stents and put on range a almost immediately. Very good but I still had angina. Last summer, my cardio put me on Norvasc. Absolutely terrific drug for angina. Angina pretty much disappeared. When I ran out last month, for five days, I started having attacks again. Do inquire about it. I am going to talk to her about getting off Ranexa. Super expensive, too, for a retiree, or actually anyone! $1200 a year. I am also going to call the company regarding financial help. Sometimes, they provide it. Only attacks I now have are when I walk in the cold. But spring is coming.”

TTTTTT January 8, 2018

Ranexa (ranolazine): “Had a stent put in and another needs to be put in but they can't get the wire to it. Trying to fix it with medication and it is working. I've been having pains thinking its Angina. I've been taking 500mg twice a day and its working. No more pains that was Dec. had already met me max payout. Now Jan. and now they want $359.00 for 1 month and almost $1000.00 for 3 months too expensive for me Sorry!! Good medication but I'm NOT paying that”

Sandinnalee1 December 7, 2017

Ranexa (ranolazine): “I have Angina from small artery blockages they cannot Stent. I really can't afford it. I tried to stop taking it and the horrible back pain returned. I took one pill and had relief in an hour. I notice no side effects except constipation. I'm definitely going to have to continue this drug. Perhaps once a day instead of twice. I am supposed to take 500 mg twice a day.”

Learn more about Angina

Symptom checker

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)