User Reviews for Rozerem to treat Insomnia

Rozerem has an average rating of 4.5 out of 10 from a total of 84 ratings for the treatment of Insomnia. 33% of those users who reviewed Rozerem reported a positive effect, while 52% reported a negative effect.

Rozerem Rating Summary

4.5/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Rozerem

OWelles May 14, 2021

“This medication has made me severely suicidal. It is a literal nightmare after taking it only once. I have had SEVERE insomnia since I was a child which has only gotten worse with age. After visiting a sleep clinic, I was prescribed this medication, but I put me in such a bad place mentally. Instead of taking my usual over-the-counter sleeping pill, I took this and began to feel drowsy about ten minutes later. Unfortunately, my heart started racing, and I have found myself in a state between severe anxiety/alertness and drowsiness/sickness since 11:00 pm. It's now 4:30 am, and I'm experiencing a severe headache and anxiety, but I also feel dizzy, drowsy, and nauseous yet I'm too wired to sleep. This feels like something they would give people in a concentration camp to torture them. I've now taken my over-the-counter sleeping pills to try to combat the effects of this medication that I cannot believe is even on the market. It will be a miracle if I'm even alive tomorrow.”

Syd · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2021

“Worthless and I’m upset that my Physician left me without a backup. My insurance will not renew my Lunesta since I was put on this med. Don’t waste your time and hopes on this wonder’ drug. You will be wide awake at 2am as I am now.”

Jimmie · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 12, 2021

“You have to know how the drug works for it to be a benefit. It's not an occasional pill you take when you can't sleep. It's something you must take every night and in the long run, over weeks and months, you'll see a huge impact. The complaints that it didn't work one night haven't been explained to how it should be taken and how it works. It's a solid non-habit forming medicine that works great when taken as directed. One of the few medicines that had really improved my sleep without the fog, weight, moodiness, lethargy, and apathy.”

P September 30, 2020

“This medication worked very well for me. I have a extremely high tolerance to medication too. I hope people stay away from the benzos, they act like they help, but are hurting you in the long run... I found out the hard way!”

ME · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 16, 2020

“Rozerem worked really well for me. Then, a few years back, my insurance company no longer covered it. It was back to sleepless nights. I suffered for years without the great sleep from Rozerem. Then, I discovered Taurine and Melatonin taken together worked well. Sometimes I need 1,000 mg of Taurine and 20mg of Melatonin. Other times, I need 4,000 mg of Taurine and 20mg of Melatonin. Recently, Rozerem finally went generic! Yeah! I was happy, especially since my insurance covered the generic. My happiness was short-lived. Ramelteon generic does not work at all for me. I am back to loading up on Taurine and Melatonin. I hate taking medication, but what can I do. My fellow insomniacs, if you haven't tried Taurine and Melatonin together, I truly recommend them. Alone, they do nothing. Together, they can give you seven or sometimes even eight hours of sleep!”

lg · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2019

“If your sleep disorder is not in the suprachiasmatic nucleus (responsible for controlling circadian rhythms), this SCN-acting drug will probably do nothing for you, but for sighted people with non-24 (Free running sleep) and other circadian rhythm disorders, this stuff is amazing. I like that ambien gives you a solid thunk between asleep and awake, but this is a different jam...this just stops your body from fighting you about sleep. If your circadian rhythm disorder's bad bad, you might need to prime the pump with some melatonin first, but with melatonin to trick my body into understanding bed time as a concept and rozerem so my body knows what the hell melatonin is and how to use it, I sleep better and don't have a single side effect.”

backwardclocks · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 29, 2013

“I'm 40 years old and ever since I hit puberty, my clocks have been backwards - up all night, sleeping until noon . I've tried everything. I've been on Rozerem for a year now and it's changed my life completely! I was reluctant at first, because it's slow working and I wanted an immediate fix. Things like Ambien did this, but only in short term. Rozerem took some time to really work, about a full month, but looking back it was so worth it! I have ADHD so deal with daytime sleepiness also. To counter that, I also take Nuvigil. This combination has been the best EVER! I'm productive and wake up easily. I'm convinced that Rozerem is the key. I couldn't sleep all day even if I wanted to - the daylight wakes me! Finally, my clocks are right!”

really sleeping March 2, 2008

“I have problems falling asleep, and also waking up many times during the night. I tried Ambien first and it didn't seem to help much. Now I have been using Rozerem 8 mg for about a week, and I have slept wonderfully, better than I have in years. I do seem to have a little bit of residual affect in the morning of drowsiness, but it doesn't last long. After that I have had more energy throughout the day than I have had in a very long time. So far Rozerem is working for me.”

Bill · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2018

“Used this to get off Ambien (17 days on it) after I had rebound insomnia. The rozarem worked and I started to get normal sleep-not Ambien sleep. Eventually after 6 weeks I was able to start sleeping without the Rozarem because it is NOT HABIT FORMING like that horrible stuff Ambien.”

Jonas Sulk · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2019

“Having been a Xanax addict, no doctor will prescribe benzos for me anymore, which is a shame because they were the best for my insomnia. I was until recently just taking Clonidine and Gabapentin for sleep; the combination gives me 4 or 5 hours of broken sleep. Added Rozerem 8mg to my sleep meds 3 weeks ago. It makes me fall asleep a little more quickly, and I have slept up to 5 continuous hours some nights. Getting nightmares though, fairly horrible imagery, but they are worth it so far.”

Lynn · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2018

“The 8mg Rozerem does not work at all for me and I've tried it several times. The adverse effects were staying up until day light, feeling crazy and anxious, hypnotic feeling of sleepiness but inability to shut down racing thoughts, and finally able to sleep lightly for a few hours with horrific nightmares. It took awhile to fully function in the morning, I suppose from lack of quality sleep. I'm convinced that this is not for insomniacs like myself that need to shut down and crash peacefully for a good night sleep.”

Sleepyhead · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2020

“I had a sleep study done and was told I have a REM sleep disorder. Was prescribed Rozerem. It really worked well for me. I woke up feeling rested, not tired or groggy at all. Unfortunately after about a week on the medication, I had an allergic reaction and ended up with a horrible rash that “traveled” up and down my body. This is the only medication that actually helped my sleep and I was allergic to it. If it wasn’t for that I would definitely give it a 10 rating.”

Kmacca March 28, 2016

“I love this medication. I had no luck with Ambien. Rozerem is PERFECT for what I need it for - it's not so much that I have insomnia, but a delayed sleep phase. Rozerem doesn't necessary PUT me to sleep, but HELPS me fall asleep if I'm willing, which can help me retain a diurnal rhythm without difficulty. I would not recommend this for someone who needs to be "knocked out" into sleep - it is not that strong. I also recommend taking it exactly as directed - 30 minutes before you plan to go to sleep, and then actually PLAN on sleeping. If you pop a pill then stare at the computer or read a book, it won't be able to do its job (speaking from experience). Like I said, it doesn't force you to sleep, it helps you to sleep.”

spotbon · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2019

“I took this expensive med on the advice of a new psychiatrist. I wake up every night between 12-2 am and can't get back to sleep. I take one mg Clonazapam and it works well. Rozerem did not work for me. After taking 8 mg., I woke up at the same time on 2 consecutive nights, again at 3-4 am and felt horrible the next day mentally and physically. I am an ultrarapid metabolizer according to gene sight testing and cannot tolerate most sleep meds and all antidepressants. I will not take this again and take my chances on developing dementia which was the concern of the doctor.”

Jilly Jill · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2013

“I had a bad experience each time I tried it. I have been on Ambien for many years, but my Dr wanted to try something else. The Rozerem made me extremely anxious, and did the opposite of what I needed it for! My heart beat fast, and I had a feeling of nervousness and anxiousness. I tried it 4 times, and it was the same all 4. Maybe I'm allergic.”

So Sleepy · Taken for less than 1 month March 6, 2013

“I've had insomnia to varying degrees for about 12 years now (I'm 30 and the problem started in college) and nothing ever worked reliably for more than a short amount of time. I was recently prescribed Rozerem as I'd never tried it before. Bad idea. In addition to not sleeping, I woke up feeling extremely out of sorts, fuzzy, depressed, and lethargic. Half-way through the next day I'm still struggling to focus and my thoughts are disordered at best, on top of feeling totally exhausted. ”

MoneyOverMen · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 17, 2019

“This drug is useless to people who have really bad insomnia. I have stress insomnia. The only medication that worked is Xanax. Since my pain doctor took it away, I can no longer sleep. I have spent so much money on OTC sleep aids and the ones my psychiatrist keeps giving me that do not work. Including this. If you have straight insomnia without anxiety then this might work.”

Ridgetop 12 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 13, 2016

“My Doc recently refused to renew my Rx for Ristoril 30mg and switched me to Rozerem 8mg. I'm beginning to think she's playing me with a placebo. My problem has never been falling asleep; it is staying asleep that's problematic. With the Ristoril it was lights out for 6 - 8 hrs. Now I'm staring at the ceiling till sunrise after about 1.5 hrs. of light sleep. The spontaneous naps during daylight whenever I sit or recline exacerbate the problem at night. I'm getting ready to doctor shop.”

Jo September 10, 2020

“Usually take clonazapam, but was too early for refill so dr prescribed Roserem which cost me $57.00 because deductible wasn’t met. Took at 9:30, it’s now midnight and just took melatonin liquid & two Advil pm’s. Obviously rozerem didn’t do squat!”

pat · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2018

“Took Klonopin, Amitriptyline or Xanax for 15-20 years as aids to cure insomnia. Got off all of it a month ago, have had HORRID withdrawal and INSOMNIA since. Tried everything my doctor and I could think of to help me sleep. Just started Rozerem last night. Went very well and am hoping this is IT!! Love that it's not habit forming and I can continue to take it as long as needed. Hoping I will be able to eventually sleep on my own without any prescription meds.”

Charlie in JP · Taken for less than 1 month January 11, 2015

“I was using over the counter medicines to sleep. I wake up after 3-4 hours of sleeping. I took Rozerem when I woke up and was able to sleep for an additional six hours. I feel great the next morning. Not groggy. I have only used it for two nights so it remains to be seen how it will work long term but so far much better than Ambien in terms of quality of sleep.”

IWANTMYPILLOW · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

“Um, so this has to be the worst medicine for sleep ever! I felt like my arms were floating and other strange body sensations. My mind was going in circles. I took it for three nights then for the next night after that it seemed the med has messed up my cycle....this med is as useless.”

CV4Peace · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2014

“Initially made me drowsily sleepy, but did not remain asleep. Got up after two hours to pee. Trouble after that falling asleep, slept two more hours. Got up again to use bathroom. Then fell asleep again and slept for approximately four hrs. Got up and was dizzy all day long and had stomach upset and diarrhea as well.”

pattyogirl · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 21, 2012

“I was concerned because when I take this medicine I have the most bizarre dreams. I mean they are really out there and the funny thing is I remember them, and and go back if I think about them and continue the dream. To me this would be ok if the dreams were pleasant but they are not always.”

thomas aquinas · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 9, 2019

“Like ambien, rozerem causes drowsiness and decreases mental alertness and they both carry over these side effects into the next morning. Unlike ambien, rozerem does not carry the same risk of negatively effecting your GABA receptors over time. Rozerem increases and ambien decreases frequency of dream states.”

Rozeremcrazydrug · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2017

“My insurance company, Medicare Part D, decided they knew better than my Dr and myself and held my Zolpidem hostage until I tried this Rozerem. My zolpidem was completely effective, no side effects at all. I tried this drug 1 night and would never try it again. Took way longer to feel even remotely sleepy almost 2 hours, then felt like in a half sleep-completely aware but closing eyes made some weird things go by in mind and scary too, almost paranoid feeling. Felt like any effect from it wore off in several hours but had a hangover/drugged effect next day. I also had nausea with it and copay was way more expensive. My problem is 2-fold; getting to sleep and falling asleep. Needless to say, this drug did not work for me!”

Fossil1954 April 2, 2017

“It's very expensive for it NOT to be effective. My insurance paid $400 & my copay was $100. Pharmacy said it was effective which within 3 days nothing happen. It seems I stayed up longer. Took it at 9 pm. Supposedly you are to take it 30 minutes before bedtime. I stayed up till 4 am & 5 am. I took Advil PM since I had to get some sleep. It was more effective then this very expensive medication that I can't get a refund. Do not buy it unless your insurance covers it all. Maybe asked for a sample before buying a month supply.”

Loop · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 16, 2019

“I found that Rozerem worked very well with my insomnia. It didn’t knock me out/ keep me knocked out like most anti-depressants that are also used as a sleep aid. I was able to wake up normally and fall asleep and stay asleep. Only problem is I became tolerant to it and it didn’t work as well after a couple years. Another problem is that there is no generic so my insurance stopped covering it and I had to stop taking it.”

Learn more about Insomnia