User Reviews for Seroquel

Learn more about Seroquel.

Seroquel Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Seroquel to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I've been taking this for a few weeks and I think I've already gained 10 pounds because I am hungry 100% of the time. I've had insomnia for all 20 years of my life and have yet to find a medication that makes me sleep till this one, and on the 50 mg dose. That would be amazing if it did not make me sleep for the rest of the day too. It shuts me down to the point where it is harder than normal to breathe. I've been staying with it in hopes that I would improve but all I've noticed is that I am more irritated by even the smallest things."

Aubrey O September 23, 2016

"Love love love this drug. It has normalized my sleep, though the initial morning grogginess was hard to deal with. However, this side effect went away after the first month or two. I'm at 300mg and it has normalized my moods and has mostly gotten rid of my anxiety. The only downside is that it causes some pretty extreme "munchies," which does lead to some weight gain. May also have contributed to my pre-diabetic condition."

AudgePodge September 23, 2016

"I am into week 2 of taking Seroquel for Bipolar disorder. The main side effects that I am noticing are the feeling about 20 minutes after taking it (makes me feel the same way Trazadone did when I took it for insomnia), and the cloudiness the next day. I have had several situations where something will come up, and I'll recall a conversation or physical activity that I truly think happened, but I cannot determine if I dreamed it or if it really happened. But, I am already noticing a major difference in the way I feel and am able to concentrate and interact while at work, and even with family (in a good way). Since it's only been 2 weeks, of course I am going to give it a little more time."

Chell GH September 13, 2016

"After being on this medication for several months, I finally reached a dosage (600mg) that helped. I needed this to calm down my manic state. This being said, I gained close to 20lbs. As a 18 year old girl, this affected my confidence greatly. I was on a vegan diet for 7 months prior to being on this medication, and stayed on the diet while taking it. My weight was stable around 125 for all those months, however upon starting I went up to 145. Not to mention how absolutely exhausted this medication made me. I highly suggest trying to find another medication."

st3619 September 11, 2016

"I felt more emotionally stable on this, meaning when I would have usually gotten to a certain point, the medication stopped it before it could escalate. For the first few months I was thankful for not completely crashing and burning every couple of weeks (I was in a particularly stressful situation in the period of time I was taking this so my hopelessness was exasperated), significant reduction in hallucinations and paranoid delusions, not being able to cry, sleeping consistently and having no memory of my dreams. The reasons as to why I stopped taking it were degenerated eyesight (my eyesight had been perfect prior to meds), severely effected long and short term memory and zero motivation in all areas of life. I didn't feel like myself."

ConcaveEarth (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 25, 2016

"Very horrible experience on this medication that I took years a go. Side effects were not pleasant."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2016

"I am currently on 50mg of Seroquel in addition to other meds. It has certainly made a huge positive difference in my paranoid thinking and obsessive-compulsive spartanism. It has leveled out my wild swings between anxiety and depression somewhat. It works great on my insomnia too. It causes me constipation and aggravates my essential tremor, but its benefits are well worth the price. I have not yet experienced the increase in appetite it's known for."

SereneCeline August 17, 2016

"Seroquel XR definitely helped me with my moods and rapid cycling. But.... gave it away because I was forever hungry. I lost all internal compass on whether or not I required food. Which is scary for me because I've always been normal weight and relied upon internal hunger cues to direct my eating. These cues were lost on seroquel. I wanted to eat all the time! I put myself on a strict diet yet the weight still kept creeping on. In my opinion, seroquel lowers the metabolism. Such that you'd have to restrict your calorie intake quite seriously. I'm going to try Latuda instead as it's a "weight neutral" preparation."

BrizVegasGal August 15, 2016

"It didn't work and made me gain 70+ pounds. Conning off was AWFUL!"

TamaraJKelley (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 9, 2016

"when I was first put on this medication in the emergency room, I was coming off heroin and my mood swings was horrific, and my anxiety was off the charts, they put me on 200 mg. immediately and was to take it 3 times a day. I was diagnosed as bipolar, ptsd severe anxiety disorder, hearing voices to kill myself, sleep disorder, among a few others. I have loved this medicine since day one almost 4 years ago. I have ended up 150 lbs. over weight, and diabetic. however one may see this, I call this my miracle pill. I wish I had been put on it as a teenager. I have told my psych don't ever try to take this away from me, I get paranoid at thinking about it. I may be fat and diabetic, but I have a good life and great family."

lisa022 July 18, 2016

"This medication was a life saver after being admitted in the hospital for being manic an very agaitated was titrated from 50mg to 250mg a day in it has cured my agitation 75% of my mood 50% of my deppression since most antidepressants make me manic I would recommend to anyone who has tried multiple medicines I can finally sleep feel relaxed in not stay angry for hours."

bipolardude July 15, 2016

"I am a 42 yr. old woman with ADHD along with Bipolar Depression also coming off 8 yrs. of taking pain medications every day ( norco's as well as Percocet's) I was getting between both 300 a month.. I've been off the pain meds for 4 mth now so far so good.. But after the fog cleared from the pain meds all my other diagnoses come out full blast,. So I was taking a 2mg Xanax, 350mg soma, along with 300mg trazadone at night and still couldn't sleep. Thanks to my new doctor I'm on 1mg Xanax along with 100mg Seroquel at night and within a hour I'm asleep and I mean good sleep (no dreams getting up thru the night etc.,) so fingers crossed it stays that's way!!!"

PMA74 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016

"I'm at the two-week point. And while it's still a bit painful to get out of bed, once I do I no longer feel "stoned." There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Days one through five were as follows: 50 mg, 100 mg, 200 mg, 300 mg, 400 mg. Then it was a matter of getting my body acclimated to 400 mg, which I thought would never happen. If you are able to take vacation/sick days/medical leave, I do suggest it. I did not. Either way, just know it does get better within a matter of weeks."

Average New York Professional June 21, 2016

"Seroquel has been very helpful with sleep, and I also noticed some mood stabilization in combination with Lamictal and sometimes Klonopin. Sometimes it is overly sedating, but taking it a couple of hours before normally going to sleep is important for me so that I don't feel drowsy the next day. I did not notice any weight gain on it. My doctor started me on 50 mg, which was good for sedation, but no major difference in mood. 100 mg does make a difference in lower my anxiety and some mood stabilization with my other medications, but sometimes she recommends me to take 200 mg to reduce mania from flaring up when it starts. Overall, this med has been useful for Bipolar 1 for me."

xRavenx (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2016

"I have been on serequel for 3 years. It is a blessing. I went through my whole life sleep walking until my cousin was diagnosed bipolar. I took one of his pills becausehe ccomplained it made him sleep and finally with 300 mg. I am sleeping. He no longer takes it. I told my friend about it she is on it, but has a small dosage. I have a high tolerance to all drugs so it works for me. Just added lamotrine... Because I want to rise earlier in the morning. But if my sleep is ddisturbed I will stick with it. As iI can never go back to miserable ssickening insomnia. Pray for me."

lovehersincerly June 3, 2016

"This was the worst I wouldn't give this to my dog. I was given this to treat Bipolar II when I was 22. It screwed with my sugar system, kept me near comatose and gave me tics that thankfully went away when I stopped taking it. I would never take this again."

Ottto May 18, 2016

"I was diagnosed with Bipolar II when I was 15 years old and have used only cannabis since then to deal with it, but after years of cannabis abuse my symptoms started to become uncontrollable, I needed to smoke 2-3 grams of weed a day just to stay physically calm, and even then I had a lot of internal anxiety and no motivation. I could never quit smoking because if I did I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, couldn't sit still, and couldn't feel any joy. I would always relapse if I quit. I started Seroquel a week ago, and haven't had any weed since: I can eat normally, sleep 6-7 hours a night, and feel relatively happy. Plus I have literally no side effects as far as I can tell. I haven't felt this good in years; It's all uphill from here!"

Wizardrous (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

"Pleased with this medication. I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 two years ago at age 48. Started on lamotrigine (300 mg) and buproprion XL (150 mg) taken in the morning, which worked well, but didn't calm the incessant negative and depressing thoughts I was still battling. Seroquel was added recently. I take 300 mg at bedtime. Great sleep medication! This is the best, most effective medicine I've ever used if I need to get to sleep early in order to wake up early in the morning for work. I exercise on my elliptical on average 5 days a week, and haven't experienced any weight gain since taking Seroquel, gratefully. I think weight gain would be less of an issue if more bipolar people committed to exercising on a regular basis."

J Money (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2016

"Been on sroquel for one month. Have gained 9 lbs. otherwise good drug."

Sheila d Eddy April 30, 2016

"I have started to take 200 mg in July 2015. I have gained weight to much , nearly 20 kg. I have taken 100 mg in December 2015 and now I have been taking 50 mg. I want to quit Seroquel. Because I feel like zombie . I sleep very well but I can't get up early and I often go to work too late. During the day I feel tired and asleep. For mind and brain is good but damages of Seroquel is more than benefits of it , I think. It does addiction . I want to quit it or I want to take 25 mg any more."

6495nabas (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 29, 2016

"Been in therapy with a Counselling Psychologist for just over 3 years. Diagnosis from Consultant Psychiatrist - Complex-PTSD, Bipolar Type 2 and Fibromyalgia. Been on Sertraline 200mg for 2 years. Ate Diazepam 2.5mg like smarties after a relationship with an Anti Social Personality Disordered Man. Been taking Quetiapine since December '15 and slowly moved up to 125mg to increase to 200mg. Was taking 7.5mg Mertazipine for sleep though have now removed it due to increase of Quetiapine and weight gain. Overall I'm feeling much calmer, more rational, less reactive and more confident talking to people. After intrusive thoughts, cognitive dissonance, depression, anxiety, insomnia, crying, dissacociation, nightmares etc I'm happy!"

Blu75 March 22, 2016

"The only good side was that it helped me sleep good. But couldn't even get up in the morning I was so drowsy still and felt hung over bad Also I was very lethargic. Like numb and I felt numb. Like crap Almost like seriously depressed without depression state of mind Horrible."

scarlettmple (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

"Weight gain, lethargic 300 dosage at bed time, any more you'll have heads turning in public. Reclusion is a major problem do to zombie affects, messed up part is my roommates had to tell me cuz I didn't even notice. I have not been able to get a job. I tried college and it didn't work. My short term memory is short, can't even remember what I ate for dinner three days ago. I do sleep though. All you can do is push on and forget gl"

Zombie/no job (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 21, 2016

"My liver has always looked fine on ultrasounds. Since I've been taking Seroquel (4 years) my liver is enlarged, fatty and dense. However, I have been on various anti depressive meds for 35 years and the liver has to process this every day. It also made me drowsy. Don't know if Seroquel made my liver this way or just all the years on meds. I am currently coming off Seroquel and onto Lamictal and Rexulti. Fingers crossed! Good luck to you all, it's a very tough condition to live with!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 15, 2016

"Hmm about this medication...I literally do not reccomend it at all! As someone with Bipolar2 I was put on Seroquel for my rapid unstable moods, I was on it for quite some time and I noticed the rapid weight gain not just that but I was literally sleeping all the time! When I was awake I felt like a zombie. Quite frankly it's a nightmare! Thank god I went off it."

Kay(KaylaMarie) (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2016