User Reviews for Seroquel

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Seroquel.

Seroquel Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Seroquel to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I was on numerous different bipolar medications but this one was the worst! This medicine landed me in the hospital. I had pain in right waist when I urinated. My creatinine levels were high. And picked up a LOT of weight. I wonder if some of these reviews weren't written by the company itself. It seems there are lots more people struggling with these meds. I weaned off it but now it seems I have bad withdrawals, blood pressure problems, headaches, fainting, dizziness, severe insomnia, heart palpitations, red spots on my skin, my insides feels like they are shaky! I would never ever recommend this"

FOUNDSHEEP December 26, 2017

"Seroquel saved my life. With it, I can sleep deeply, I can restrain myself from impulsive behavior, it calms my anxiety, and it stops my irritability. I am a rapid cycle bipolar 2. I've noticed I have a 3 day gap of not taking it before my mania comes back. The only side effects that I've experienced is sweating/dry mouth (so stay hydrated) and seroquel munchies. Right before bed as it hits me I get the munchies. If I eat right before I take it, I don't have such an intense craving for food. Rate 8/10."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2017

"This stuff is terrible! I have been on it for a very long time and had a lot of side effects like weight gain but the worst one was the dry mouth. I would drink 4 bottles of water every night and eat hard candy and spend most of my time in the bathroom. I also wanted to eat everything in sight. My doctor finally took me off this stuff and I'm on another drug like it but without all the side effects. I'm also feeling a lot better mentally."

cat momma (taken for 10 years or more) December 11, 2017

"I usually don't post on these sites but I had to with seroquel. First off, if you are on this drug, you have to give up drugs and alcohol. It does suck but I still party and go out and have fun with my friends, just sober fun. But learning how to dance your butt off without the help of alcohol is actually pretty liberating. I just want everyone to know that without going completely sober on this drug you get 1/2 the benefits of it. I drank half a drink the other night and was fatigued for 1 and a half days and was late for work. Imagine if I had two drinks every night I went out! I would be sleeping all the time! For everyone with Bi Polar, we know that taking care of ourselves and sleep is very important. We got this guys<3"

1017forever December 8, 2017

"OKAY SO, I was put on this medication to help manage my "bipolar disorder." This medication would either COMPLETELY knock me out, or I would be able to fight it and stay awake throughout the night snacking ALL NIGHT long. it made me so hungry, and I gained 40lbs on it. My doctor NOW wants to put me on Ziprasidone which is similar to this medication, and I am very hesitant."

Merrrrr December 7, 2017

"Made my mood a thousand times worse, only helps with putting me to sleep"

cmcmr December 6, 2017

"Very effective. I feel human again. Sometimes you don't realize how far gone you are until you're better. No side effects other than weight gain which can be managed with a proper diet. I feel 100%. I'm also on Lithium, buspar, lexapro, and the Seroquel is 200mg. Seroquel really feels like it made the difference or topped it off."

jesus' grandfather (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2017

"I have Bipolar 2 , depression, anxiety and so started taking seroquel in 2005. It has helped my racing thoughts, some of my nightmares, and fears, and it has helped me sleep. I gained a lot of weight on it. It has helped me to get better with my mental health issues. I think it's helped me have a better life. I'm grateful to all the people who made seroquel a medicine that's approved for people to use . Because it helps me feel a lot better. I take also citalopram for depressions. And Ativan for anxiety. I also take depakote."

Sarahcaramelcoffee1993 November 26, 2017

"I have been on 11 meds in 5 years. MDD re diagnosed as Biplar1 three years ago. Seroquel works for me. Started on 25 mg q.d. But after psychotic break out am up to 400mg. Plus 900mg Lithium. I think we’re getting close to right cocktail including Adderall and atavin when required. No weight gain but have had eating binges. Makes me sleepy but I’m ok by 10:00 am with sheer guts and. Coffee. I am thankful for these medicines."

Teruterubozu (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 14, 2017

"I had side effects beginning Seroquel which subsided after 6 weeks, I grew to appreciate this drug it did wonders for my racing thoughts, plus sleep. BUT now need to come off it after many years omg- even tapering its horrible, I'm off it now and I’m suffering withdrawals. So extreme lethargic, depressed, fluey, had 2 weeks of random vomiting plus still had nausea and can hardly look at food. I used to call Seroquel my friend and smile but now my light headed ness is back. I wish I had energy and could eat well. 2 weeks this could last or more. Just putting this out there, I was a fan and still am I guess of this drug, but coming off is hard. I hardly ever get side effects and have gone off quickly with some, but this - this is hard, this is"

Platypus Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2017

"I was in and out of the psych ward for psychosis (diagnosed bipolar I with mania induced psychosis) for years until I finally committed to taking my meds and was put on seroquel 200 and lithium 900 nightly. I slowly weaned down the seroquel and have been at 25 mg for the past year in addition to the lithium. I have had zero episodes and have had a cool, stable mood since then. Seroquel works great for insomnia and the regular sleep has helped keep my mania non-existent. On a low dose the weight gain is manageable with proper diet and exercise and there are little to no side effects (besides the serious munchies.)"

Reyyya123 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 5, 2017

"Six months without a bipolar cycle. I want to socialize again, date, have friends around, and I'm always in a decent mood. Amazing medicine. I take 300 mg of quetiapine with 1200 mg lithium and 200 mg lamictal. My cocktail works!"

Scw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2017

"I try to avoid going on these forums because they always give me anxiety about the new medication I am trying out. I have let this forum make me think that side affects were happening to me that really weren't in the past. Seroquel is amazing. I have Bi Polar and Seroquel was not out when I was first diagnosed. I started on it May of 2016 and I have had to increase my dose 100mg since then and it has changed my life. Seroquel has given me the ability to start to live my life more the way I want to live it. I wanted to post that here to not discourage someone who is starting out on it. My psychiatrist heard about this from one of the top Bi Polar doctors in the world speak at Harvard. This drug is wonderful and so helpful."

BiPolarEarlyTwentiesGirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 5, 2017

"Seroquel was prescribed for sleep disorder and it works just fine without any hangover the next morning"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 10, 2017

"I have mainly been given this medication for insomnia, and for several years it worked incredibly to help me sleep every night, the withdrawals are rough when I don't have it, and my insomnia get's really bad as well. I think it helped my anxiety depression some too. All of a sudden at 200mg it stopped working! Was very bummed out, but luckily doctor has found a replacement."

5150Aries (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2017

"I first took Seroquel about five years ago. I liked it because it didn't have the same side effects, such as feeling extremely anxious, as other anti psychotic medications have. The problem that I had with it was that it gave me a huge appetite. The medication alone caused me to gain weight. Needless to say I no longer take it."

Pete0315 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2017

"Hello! I have bipolar 1 with psychotic features and I have been taking seroquel instant release for almost four years. Currently I take 300 mg in the morning and 600 mg at night. Seroquel has helped my depression like other but at the same time has kept my mania and psychotic episodes at bay. Don't know where I would be without this drug!"

glennbp1 July 24, 2017

"At one point, I was on regular seroquel as needed and seroquel XR daily. During this time, I gained a lot of weight that I just could not take off. I was prescribed the seroquel as needed, 25 mgs up to 3 times a day. Later on, I was going through something else and seroquel had just gone generic. My psychiatrist put me back on the 25 mg pill as needed. I rarely used it and this time I didn't gain any weight from it, which I was relieved about. I know they say that the lower doses are supposed to make you really tired, but that didn't seem to have any effect on me."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2017

"Ambfly made me gain 100lbs in 8mos. I got off of it and started to loose 5lbs a night. My bad episodes got worse. I wish. I had the right information about this drug. If had known about the drug beforehand I would never have taken it"

Suzzie Lu May 1, 2017

"So vivid in detail, from some, but, give this medication time. This drug had me feeling some wacked out, like on a boat sensation. Just light headed and motion sickness. I was told "six weeks" so instead of stopping it, which I dearly wanted to - I didn't. And to this day approx four years I thank myself, I didn't.. yes its heavy handed. But now I have nearly no racing thoughts, which drove me to suicidal tendancies, my mind never stopped it was like a TV on in the back ground. Next, sleep, sleep, peaceful sleep, I did crave sugar BUT NO WEIGHT GAIN. This drug is just broadly so good. This drug and a couple others balanced me. The racing thoughts Seroquel number one, but Ritalin was also something I am grateful for."

Willow Breeze April 28, 2017

"Only lasted 2 weeks at the lowest dose, stopped because the side effects were so intolerable. Took in the evening, but still had trouble staying awake during the day, and felt like a total zombie when I did. May have given this a couple more weeks to see if it would have worn off had I not gained 15 lbs. as well (with no appetite change - I wasn't awake long enough to eat more!). I was already 35lbs overweight from meds as it was, & when I med chunks me up, it doesn't stop. Only reason it gets 2 stars is that it kicked my chronic insomnia's butt."

Gone Bananas (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

"For years I struggled with finding the right medication to help treat my bipolar disorder. Olanzapine basically turned me into Sleeping Beauty. I take 200mg of Seroquel, three times a day. Keeps me nice and level"

Niloufar53 (taken for 10 years or more) April 20, 2017

"I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 5 years ago. I was so stressed about work, even though I liked my job and wasn't stressed about it for years before. Had continuous trouble sleeping more than 4 hours a night sometimes less. I went off work for two months due to stress, anxiety and depression. My doctor prescribed 25 mg of seroquel and 20 mg of cipralex for depression. I take both at night an hour before going to bed. I saw a psychiatrist for about two months during the time I was off work. I didn't get off the couch basically all day for about a month. Started to sleep better and feel a bit better after a few weeks. I sleep perfectly now and haven't had any real problems last five years."

MG Mech March 30, 2017

"Very drowsy for the first week of taking it, but once your body gets used to it, it is a great mood stabilizer. I've been on it 6 years and it calms the edginess and irritability with bipolar. Also makes you sleep like a rock. My weight only changed when lithium was added to my meds. No significant weight gain for me. If I go a few days without it, I notice I'm on edge constantly."

Nuitdelamort (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 21, 2017

"I took this medication on top of my regular antidepressants to help with my mood as well as insomnia. This was the worst medication I could have possibly used. I have a history of anorexia and binge eating disorder and Seroquel caused me to gain 10 pounds in a month which sent me into a total depressive episode."

anxietygirl18 March 14, 2017