User Reviews for Seroquel

Learn more about Seroquel.

Seroquel Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Seroquel to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I was recently diagnosed with type 2 BP in July of 2016. I was on Lamictal at first and it was a nightmare, It kept me from being sad but I would still get very angry. Seroquel was next and I was too scared to take it at first, but once I started having a LOT of heated arguments and stress I finally decided to take it. So far so good, I only take 25mg because is chills me out and eases my anxiety. I don't get sad and I don't get overly mad or excited. First few days I am tired on the meds but after a few days I am able to manage my life. I wish I would have went to a Dr years ago to get treated because since I was 13 my moods have been up and down. Now I'm as chill as a cucumber."

D.M. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My Dr told me basically nothing else has worked so what do u want him to do. The seroquel seemed to at first but I gained weight quickly and people are always asking if I'm expecting because I look maybe 5 months pregnant. I have paranoia problems as well with anxiety. I have suicidal thoughts throughout the day but I don't share that with my Dr because I don't want to get put in a hospital so I keep that to myself. I'm extremely depressed and it doesn't help me sleep. I can't sleep because of the thoughts going crazy in my head. So I have to take ambien. I'm sick of all these medications. I also take wellbutrin for depression and Xanax for anxiety. the Xanax helps but when I try to pull back from using it my body jerks. I know I need help"

whoever whatever February 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This drug saved my life. I had my first manic episode recently and the doctor put me on 200mg and 50mg Xr at bedtime. I take Vraylar too. I sleep well and my bipolar tendencies (rage and mania) are pretty much cured. It took two months before I was not fatigued the next day. I have no weight issues from this drug. Thank God for this drug and the doctor who prescribed it."

MommaGia February 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was diagnosed with bipolar, PTSD and depression. I was put on lithium and seroquel about 5 months ago. Lithium makes it so I don't feel .....anything. And seriously I take around 6pm and the next morning I feel like a zombie. Half the time I can't even get out of bed to go to work. All I want to do All day is sleep. I've told my doctor but he keeps telling me to give it some more time....... I have kids I have to take care of, but I feel so tired and lazy on seroquel. Only upside is it does help me sleep throughout then night instead of being awake depressing about my life. Lithium, not sure what it does to me but tries to block my emotional feelings which is good and bad at the same time. I still feel sadness though. Everyday."

Laurenjp055 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on Seroquel more years then I know.I have always been on the magical 200mg. I'm only on 50mg now, because of weight gain. I really did not want to be on this, and tried to go off..The headaches, and misery are just awful trying to come off this drug. So, back on Seroquel... along with Lamictal, Tegretol and Topomax. I have Bipolar 1, another name I've been told is Classic Bipolar. Seroquel helps with sleep for sure. Don't like the heaviness on the chest, if it's too high a dose. Also, getting up to eat like 10 minutes after taking it. AND feeling zombie next day. I've noticed if My meds aren't taken before midnight, forget the next day. Next day is gone..Sleeping all day. And If I don't snack with these meds,my heart feels weird."

Melyssy (taken for 10 years or more) January 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Where do I begin? Seroquel, personally I think it is a great medication for the right person. I've taken seroquel on and off 3 different times, I am currently back on it and will most likely stay on it. I take 800mg before bed time and sleep like a baby. I do have a few side effects from this medicine which include dry mouth, constipation and indigestion. I take seroquel for Borderline personality disorder (BPD), I am also on 300mg lithium and 300mg 3x a day of gabapentin. Seroquel helps control my mania and impulsive behavior, it does not make me a zombie and I have great concentration. What I don't understand is this drug being prescribed to people for sleep issues, sure you sleep like a baby but those are the people with all these terrible side effects and horror stories."

Ckn (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My experience with this drug has been generally positive. It does tone down my hypomania, and is amazing at helping me sleep (it used to take me up to 3.5 hours lying in the dark to fall asleep...now it's closer to between 1-2 hours). However, it does give some weird side effects. It gives me intensely vivid dreams. I normally dream very little, but this gives me very strange dreams every night that I can very clearly remember on waking up. These dreams even frequently (3/4 times a week) cause me to wake up in the middle of the night! Would not recommend if you already have frequent nightmares or night terrors, as seroquel may make those much worse. Ineffective for depression."

Audrey K (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on this for about 8 months so far. I take 300mg at bed time. It helps with sleep, but I do feel a bit tired during the day. This has really reduced my mania. I used to argue with people until I was literally foaming at the mouth, but now I lose interest in arguments within 5 or 10 minutes. Twitter and news used to upset me and I'd get ampted up about stories, but that's gone away mostly. Now I can react to things that used to make me furious with a laugh or just a short discussion with someone. Seroquel's not perfect, but the weirdness and intensity I used to experience has gone. It also helps greatly with my IBSd. I haven't had any weight gain, but my diet is low-fat and limited. Seroquel is MUCH better than TCAs btw. Good luck!"

theskysnotabove (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 8, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Hi all! I'm diagnosed with PTSD and bipolar type 1. After my most recent manic episode I crashed into the worst depression and extreme anxiety I've ever experienced. I was tried on the usual antipsychotics and had dangerous side effects from all of them except Seroquel. For years and years I've had extreme insomnia. I was started on Seroquel (300mg) for sleep about 6 months and it was immediately effective. I love being able to sleep, but I'm sleeping 10 hours. I'd like to try to cut back a little and see if I can get to 8-9 hrs/night. My psychiatrist tells me I'm not just taking it for sleep, but for the bipolar itself. I'm still not back to my usual self due to lack of interest in anything. Hopefully I'll soon be better!"

MissieRae (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 29, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Caused excessive weight gain (60+lbs) very quickly (despite me eating LESS), caused a weird decrease in cognitive ability, higher blood pressure (I already have hypertension, thanks), elevated blood sugar levels and probably other things I'm forgetting... I've been put on this against my will repeatedly because it's a Medicaid favored drug in my state, but it DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. I still have Medicaid but go to a private pay shrink because he listens."

espresso_dreams (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on this medication for about a week now. I am a type 1 diabetic. My sugars are extremely on the high side. It was like overnight it raised my sugars terrible. It has the complete opposite affect, my mind races. I pace , no sleep for me. So I think I need to be done with this. The not taking it verses the side effects. And I don't need this. So diabetics beware."

Diabetic 52 (taken for less than 1 month) December 20, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed this drug at crisis preparation and recovery services in Tempe, Arizona. I was misdiagnosed by her as "bi polar" . While on this medication, alongside with lexapro and klonopin - I gained weight fast and almost suffocated in my sleep. Be careful with this medication, and make sure you see a doctor before considering it - not a louzy nurse practitioner. Although I almost died from the drug, I know that the drug can be used well if the provider knows what they are doing. The NP was not listening to my concerns which should of been red flags,and she was not educated on the subject of medicine enough to prescribe/diagnose. She is now under investigation by the state board and may not be working anymore."

TempeAZ November 28, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"A word of caution. I've noticed how positive these reviews tend to be. You should look-up the withdrawal effects when coming of this drug. I've been on and off medication for the last 20 years. When I came of efexor 15 years ago I couldn't walk for three days. But that was nothing compared to seroquel. And it takes 90 days for the withdrawal effects to begin to wear off. Seriously, before taking this drug you need to do some research. I would STRONGLY advise you to find another drug."

Raistlinson October 19, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been taking this for a few weeks and I think I've already gained 10 pounds because I am hungry 100% of the time. I've had insomnia for all 20 years of my life and have yet to find a medication that makes me sleep till this one, and on the 50 mg dose. That would be amazing if it did not make me sleep for the rest of the day too. It shuts me down to the point where it is harder than normal to breathe. I've been staying with it in hopes that I would improve but all I've noticed is that I am more irritated by even the smallest things."

Aubrey O September 23, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Love love love this drug. It has normalized my sleep, though the initial morning grogginess was hard to deal with. However, this side effect went away after the first month or two. I'm at 300mg and it has normalized my moods and has mostly gotten rid of my anxiety. The only downside is that it causes some pretty extreme "munchies," which does lead to some weight gain. May also have contributed to my pre-diabetic condition."

AudgePodge September 23, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am into week 2 of taking Seroquel for Bipolar disorder. The main side effects that I am noticing are the feeling about 20 minutes after taking it (makes me feel the same way Trazadone did when I took it for insomnia), and the cloudiness the next day. I have had several situations where something will come up, and I'll recall a conversation or physical activity that I truly think happened, but I cannot determine if I dreamed it or if it really happened. But, I am already noticing a major difference in the way I feel and am able to concentrate and interact while at work, and even with family (in a good way). Since it's only been 2 weeks, of course I am going to give it a little more time."

Chell GH September 13, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"After being on this medication for several months, I finally reached a dosage (600mg) that helped. I needed this to calm down my manic state. This being said, I gained close to 20lbs. As a 18 year old girl, this affected my confidence greatly. I was on a vegan diet for 7 months prior to being on this medication, and stayed on the diet while taking it. My weight was stable around 125 for all those months, however upon starting I went up to 145. Not to mention how absolutely exhausted this medication made me. I highly suggest trying to find another medication."

st3619 September 11, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I felt more emotionally stable on this, meaning when I would have usually gotten to a certain point, the medication stopped it before it could escalate. For the first few months I was thankful for not completely crashing and burning every couple of weeks (I was in a particularly stressful situation in the period of time I was taking this so my hopelessness was exasperated), significant reduction in hallucinations and paranoid delusions, not being able to cry, sleeping consistently and having no memory of my dreams. The reasons as to why I stopped taking it were degenerated eyesight (my eyesight had been perfect prior to meds), severely effected long and short term memory and zero motivation in all areas of life. I didn't feel like myself."

ConcaveEarth (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 25, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Very horrible experience on this medication that I took years a go. Side effects were not pleasant."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am currently on 50mg of Seroquel in addition to other meds. It has certainly made a huge positive difference in my paranoid thinking and obsessive-compulsive spartanism. It has leveled out my wild swings between anxiety and depression somewhat. It works great on my insomnia too. It causes me constipation and aggravates my essential tremor, but its benefits are well worth the price. I have not yet experienced the increase in appetite it's known for."

SereneCeline August 17, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Seroquel XR definitely helped me with my moods and rapid cycling. But.... gave it away because I was forever hungry. I lost all internal compass on whether or not I required food. Which is scary for me because I've always been normal weight and relied upon internal hunger cues to direct my eating. These cues were lost on seroquel. I wanted to eat all the time! I put myself on a strict diet yet the weight still kept creeping on. In my opinion, seroquel lowers the metabolism. Such that you'd have to restrict your calorie intake quite seriously. I'm going to try Latuda instead as it's a "weight neutral" preparation."

BrizVegasGal August 15, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It didn't work and made me gain 70+ pounds. Conning off was AWFUL!"

TamaraJKelley (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 9, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"when I was first put on this medication in the emergency room, I was coming off heroin and my mood swings was horrific, and my anxiety was off the charts, they put me on 200 mg. immediately and was to take it 3 times a day. I was diagnosed as bipolar, ptsd severe anxiety disorder, hearing voices to kill myself, sleep disorder, among a few others. I have loved this medicine since day one almost 4 years ago. I have ended up 150 lbs. over weight, and diabetic. however one may see this, I call this my miracle pill. I wish I had been put on it as a teenager. I have told my psych don't ever try to take this away from me, I get paranoid at thinking about it. I may be fat and diabetic, but I have a good life and great family."

lisa022 July 18, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This medication was a life saver after being admitted in the hospital for being manic an very agaitated was titrated from 50mg to 250mg a day in it has cured my agitation 75% of my mood 50% of my deppression since most antidepressants make me manic I would recommend to anyone who has tried multiple medicines I can finally sleep feel relaxed in not stay angry for hours."

bipolardude July 15, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am a 42 yr. old woman with ADHD along with Bipolar Depression also coming off 8 yrs. of taking pain medications every day ( norco's as well as Percocet's) I was getting between both 300 a month.. I've been off the pain meds for 4 mth now so far so good.. But after the fog cleared from the pain meds all my other diagnoses come out full blast,. So I was taking a 2mg Xanax, 350mg soma, along with 300mg trazadone at night and still couldn't sleep. Thanks to my new doctor I'm on 1mg Xanax along with 100mg Seroquel at night and within a hour I'm asleep and I mean good sleep (no dreams getting up thru the night etc.,) so fingers crossed it stays that's way!!!"

PMA74 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2016