User Reviews for Seroquel

Seroquel Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Seroquel to treat Bipolar Disorder

"3 years ago I was hospitalized for a suicide attempt & diagnosed with rapid-cycling bipolar. I was put on a low dose of seroquel until I could get in to see the psychiatrist a month later. It definitely levelled out my mood and made me feel much more stable within days. Even after switching meds 3 times since, I still use seroquel as a supplementary medication and I have no desire to get off of it"

Cboxjett (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2018

"I was put on this med years ago and taken off. I asked him why I stopped taking it because of weight gain, I don't feel that was the only reason. I have had problems with anxiety and depression for a long time, but it got extremely worse. The anxiety was so bad that I couldn't eat, gave me worse flashbacks from my PTSD which was caused by trauma throughout my life (domestic abuse and rape). I got headaches, eye pain, palpitations, my hypothyroidism was all off, stomachs pain, worse depression to the point I lost weight which I am already thin. I could go on, but the Dr didn't take into consideration that I suffer from epilepsy, got vertigo, seizures increased. I ended up yesterday in a crisis center because I couldn't stop crying, and had racing thoughts which I forgot to mention. And the flashbacks of my life was one after another. Just was not a good choice of medication for me, especially with physical issues."

Jean (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2018

"I was prescribed Seroquel for treatment resistant depression. I only took it for about 2 weeks. For every night I wasn't able to sleep my doc upped my dose. Which was most nights. In my opinion, it was upped too quickly. It literally made me feel like I was going crazy. I'm aware that is a very subjective feeling, but I can't put it in words how bad it made me feel. I would still recommend it only if titrated very slowly."

VickyEE (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2018

"works well. It knocked me out, sleep great through the night.. was having a hard time sleeping with other insomniac medications, & by far this is the best so far. I only started taking it so I'm not sure, what the side effects will be.( I'm taking it for bi polar)"

kylo G February 21, 2018

"This has helped me immensely in combo with lexapro to treat anxiety and depression"

jensrda February 15, 2018

"I'm surprised to see so many positive reviews for seroquel for depression and panic/anxiety. That is why I was prescribed it 2x a day and I didn't take it very long. Everyone is different, I'm glad it works for others, for me I was extremely tired 24/7, had to force myself to get up and stay up and do anything, I felt like I was out of it like it wasn't even to help me mentally and emotionally but like I took a street drug. I was so tired and forcing myself to stay up. I couldn't do anything luckily I didn't have a job at the time. This drug did not help me. Everyones different though, I'm sure it has helped others. To me its like seroquel=sleep."

mae77 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2018

"the reason I'm rating this drug 10/10 is that it does not stab you in the back , and it does not ask for increased doses , it works all the time , and kicks in fast , and makes you feel euphoric combined with sleepiness. If stayed awake more than 30 minutes after taking it , you will feel hungry , so if you are worried about gaining weight just take it and sleep. Find your correct dose that works well , and remember good sleep equals good mood. If you feel sleepy the next day , thats if ' drink some coffee + 1 cup of water. And remember to do 20 minutes of exercise every day just not before going to sleep and you will feel batter 100%"

Light_bringer January 31, 2018

"This drug has changed my life. I'm on 300 mg and find it helps me sleep and stops me from becoming stupidly manic. I haven't gained any weight but I go to the gym and walk every day, so I'm very active. My only complaint is it takes me quite a while to wake up in the mornings. I'm also on 300 mg of Lamictal."

Anonymous January 26, 2018

"It does help with sleeping and my brain was so calm BUT I was only on 25 mg and I gained 15 pounds in 3 months. I was constantly hungry but even if I only ate salad it would just keep me at the same weight. It was the gross cellulite chunky fat! My metabolism and thyroid was changed. I went off Seroquel to stop my body from changing so much."

Shanny5150 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2018

"I was on numerous different bipolar medications but this one was the worst! This medicine landed me in the hospital. I had pain in right waist when I urinated. My creatinine levels were high. And picked up a LOT of weight. I wonder if some of these reviews weren't written by the company itself. It seems there are lots more people struggling with these meds. I weaned off it but now it seems I have bad withdrawals, blood pressure problems, headaches, fainting, dizziness, severe insomnia, heart palpitations, red spots on my skin, my insides feels like they are shaky! I would never ever recommend this"

FOUNDSHEEP December 26, 2017

"Seroquel saved my life. With it, I can sleep deeply, I can restrain myself from impulsive behavior, it calms my anxiety, and it stops my irritability. I am a rapid cycle bipolar 2. I've noticed I have a 3 day gap of not taking it before my mania comes back. The only side effects that I've experienced is sweating/dry mouth (so stay hydrated) and seroquel munchies. Right before bed as it hits me I get the munchies. If I eat right before I take it, I don't have such an intense craving for food. Rate 8/10."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2017

"This stuff is terrible! I have been on it for a very long time and had a lot of side effects like weight gain but the worst one was the dry mouth. I would drink 4 bottles of water every night and eat hard candy and spend most of my time in the bathroom. I also wanted to eat everything in sight. My doctor finally took me off this stuff and I'm on another drug like it but without all the side effects. I'm also feeling a lot better mentally."

cat momma (taken for 10 years or more) December 11, 2017

"I usually don't post on these sites but I had to with seroquel. First off, if you are on this drug, you have to give up drugs and alcohol. It does suck but I still party and go out and have fun with my friends, just sober fun. But learning how to dance your butt off without the help of alcohol is actually pretty liberating. I just want everyone to know that without going completely sober on this drug you get 1/2 the benefits of it. I drank half a drink the other night and was fatigued for 1 and a half days and was late for work. Imagine if I had two drinks every night I went out! I would be sleeping all the time! For everyone with Bi Polar, we know that taking care of ourselves and sleep is very important. We got this guys<3"

1017forever December 8, 2017

"OKAY SO, I was put on this medication to help manage my "bipolar disorder." This medication would either COMPLETELY knock me out, or I would be able to fight it and stay awake throughout the night snacking ALL NIGHT long. it made me so hungry, and I gained 40lbs on it. My doctor NOW wants to put me on Ziprasidone which is similar to this medication, and I am very hesitant."

Merrrrr December 7, 2017

"Made my mood a thousand times worse, only helps with putting me to sleep"

cmcmr December 6, 2017

"Very effective. I feel human again. Sometimes you don't realize how far gone you are until you're better. No side effects other than weight gain which can be managed with a proper diet. I feel 100%. I'm also on Lithium, buspar, lexapro, and the Seroquel is 200mg. Seroquel really feels like it made the difference or topped it off."

jesus' grandfather (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2017

"I have Bipolar 2 , depression, anxiety and so started taking seroquel in 2005. It has helped my racing thoughts, some of my nightmares, and fears, and it has helped me sleep. I gained a lot of weight on it. It has helped me to get better with my mental health issues. I think it's helped me have a better life. I'm grateful to all the people who made seroquel a medicine that's approved for people to use . Because it helps me feel a lot better. I take also citalopram for depressions. And Ativan for anxiety. I also take depakote."

Sarahcaramelcoffee1993 November 26, 2017

"I have been on 11 meds in 5 years. MDD re diagnosed as Biplar1 three years ago. Seroquel works for me. Started on 25 mg q.d. But after psychotic break out am up to 400mg. Plus 900mg Lithium. I think we’re getting close to right cocktail including Adderall and atavin when required. No weight gain but have had eating binges. Makes me sleepy but I’m ok by 10:00 am with sheer guts and. Coffee. I am thankful for these medicines."

Teruterubozu (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 14, 2017

"I had side effects beginning Seroquel which subsided after 6 weeks, I grew to appreciate this drug it did wonders for my racing thoughts, plus sleep. BUT now need to come off it after many years omg- even tapering its horrible, I'm off it now and I’m suffering withdrawals. So extreme lethargic, depressed, fluey, had 2 weeks of random vomiting plus still had nausea and can hardly look at food. I used to call Seroquel my friend and smile but now my light headed ness is back. I wish I had energy and could eat well. 2 weeks this could last or more. Just putting this out there, I was a fan and still am I guess of this drug, but coming off is hard. I hardly ever get side effects and have gone off quickly with some, but this - this is hard, this is"

Platypus Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2017

"I was in and out of the psych ward for psychosis (diagnosed bipolar I with mania induced psychosis) for years until I finally committed to taking my meds and was put on seroquel 200 and lithium 900 nightly. I slowly weaned down the seroquel and have been at 25 mg for the past year in addition to the lithium. I have had zero episodes and have had a cool, stable mood since then. Seroquel works great for insomnia and the regular sleep has helped keep my mania non-existent. On a low dose the weight gain is manageable with proper diet and exercise and there are little to no side effects (besides the serious munchies.)"

Reyyya123 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 5, 2017

"Six months without a bipolar cycle. I want to socialize again, date, have friends around, and I'm always in a decent mood. Amazing medicine. I take 300 mg of quetiapine with 1200 mg lithium and 200 mg lamictal. My cocktail works!"

Scw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2017

"I try to avoid going on these forums because they always give me anxiety about the new medication I am trying out. I have let this forum make me think that side affects were happening to me that really weren't in the past. Seroquel is amazing. I have Bi Polar and Seroquel was not out when I was first diagnosed. I started on it May of 2016 and I have had to increase my dose 100mg since then and it has changed my life. Seroquel has given me the ability to start to live my life more the way I want to live it. I wanted to post that here to not discourage someone who is starting out on it. My psychiatrist heard about this from one of the top Bi Polar doctors in the world speak at Harvard. This drug is wonderful and so helpful."

BiPolarEarlyTwentiesGirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 5, 2017

"Seroquel was prescribed for sleep disorder and it works just fine without any hangover the next morning"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 10, 2017

"I have mainly been given this medication for insomnia, and for several years it worked incredibly to help me sleep every night, the withdrawals are rough when I don't have it, and my insomnia get's really bad as well. I think it helped my anxiety depression some too. All of a sudden at 200mg it stopped working! Was very bummed out, but luckily doctor has found a replacement."

5150Aries (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 29, 2017

"I first took Seroquel about five years ago. I liked it because it didn't have the same side effects, such as feeling extremely anxious, as other anti psychotic medications have. The problem that I had with it was that it gave me a huge appetite. The medication alone caused me to gain weight. Needless to say I no longer take it."

Pete0315 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 26, 2017