User Reviews for Pyridostigmine

Also known as: Mestinon, Mestinon Timespan, Regonol

Pyridostigmine has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 39 ratings on Drugs.com. 58% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Myasthenia Gravis
7.6
Dysautonomia  Off-label
7.3
Reversal of Nondepolarizing Muscle Relaxants
Summary of Pyridostigmine reviews 7.1 39 reviews

Reviews for Pyridostigmine

Anonymous March 31, 2010

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Myasthenia Gravis: “Mestinon helps everyone differently. I started out with ocular MG. Apparently, this drug helps most people with their ocular MG, but it doesn't do anything at all to improve my eye. My case of MG rapidly generalized, and difficulty breathing was my 2nd symptom to manifest. Mestinon improves my breathing issues somewhat, but doesn't take the shortness of breath away completely. Same with my arms and thighs; it helps, but doesn't make the weakness disappear altogether. Mestinon can cause diarrhea, but most likely won't if taken alongside a meal or with a small snack. It must be taken every 3-4 hours. Mestinon is one of the only drugs out there for MG with the least amount of unpleasant side effects.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 13, 2012

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Myasthenia Gravis: “I am a 33 yr old female who was diagnosed with level 4 Myasthenia Gravis about 4 1/2 yes ago. I've taken Mestinon everyday along with a large assortment of other medicines for my condition. I have found it greatly increases my mobility and function, compared to not taking it. The side effects wore off after about 6 months of use, and I really don't have any now.”

Franko December 11, 2020

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Myasthenia Gravis: “I have Occular Myasthenia Gravis and after being initially put on 50mg of Prednisone and 25mg of Mestinon once each morning my symptoms disappeared and my vision returned to 20/20 after only 9 days, prior to that I had extreme double vision. Now I'm on 3 doses of 60 mg Mestinon and one dose of prednisone eventually aiming on no Prednisone. Certainly urinating more and have diarrhea. Hoping I'll acclimatise to the Mestinon as having my all important vision back is fantastic. Cheers all.”

mar020980 November 16, 2008

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Myasthenia Gravis: “I've taken Mestinon for 3 years, since I was first diagnosed with Generalized MG/Optical MG. There has been a great improvement in my weakness. I'm able to keep my eyes open, I don't lose my balance nearly as much, fall less often. I take it every 3 hours and if I miss a dose, the weakness increases. It's quite like taking a pain reliever for a severe headache in that it lessens the symptoms, but they will return as it wears off.”

zenarcher · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 11, 2015

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Myasthenia Gravis: “I had lost the use of my arms and hands, couldn't swallow nor chew....had double vision and often lost the ability for speech. Doctors believe it had progressed nearly 4 years before diagnosed. Within a couple of hours of starting the medication, functioning began to return. I take 3 60mg. tablets per day and am able to function quite well now.”

KDK · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2021

Mestinon Timespan (pyridostigmine) for Dysautonomia: “Pyridostigmine ER 180 has been life changing. The temperature intolerance has become balanced. I am no longer freezing nonstop. The ability to gain muscle strength is amazing. I can walk longer and stand and have increased energy. The blood pooling in my feet is not nearly as bad. The small fiber neuropathy has decreased in episodes and flares. It has helped with rapid heart beat and less dizziness. The side effects in the beginning are not pleasant. However, if you know going in that you may experience severe cramping, diarrhea, runny nose and watery eyes. As time goes by the body adjusts and the benefits are worth it and the discomfort. My record is if your physician prescribe the dosage of 180 ER time released x 2 per day. Start with only one a day your body may not be able to handle the side effects. I noticed with in two days taking Pryidostigmine I was able to walk without muscle weakness and small fiber neuropathy.”

JJ71 January 25, 2016

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Myasthenia Gravis: “I am a 44yr old male recently diagnosed with MG since Nov 2015. I take 90mg 4 times a day. My medication generally last 5hrs. My MG inolves slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, teary eyes, difficulty pushing food around with my tongue, a very weak bite. My medication usually kicks in after 45m-1hr. My speech improves although there is still a hint of a slur but much improved. Swallowing improves but still not confident. I always have water just in case. No diarrhea at all and only once I had severe cramps but that was while I was adjusting my dosage. Taking 2 60mg tablets will probably do that. Have vomited once but I function much better while on Mestinon.”

Super POTSY July 31, 2015

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Dysautonomia: “The good: less dizziness and blood pooling in legs due to POTS. The bad: I have all of the negative common side effects: I sweat horribly, I have a regular cough with mucous, I drool a lot and not just at night, I have frequent loose stool, my eyes are super blurry sometimes AND my tongue cramps so sometimes I sound like I've had a stroke or a severe speech impediment. Dose: 30-60 mg with dinner and 180 mg time span before bed. (I can't handle the side effects during the day) I have been on this for over a year. I take this and accept the side effects because without it I would not be able to work due to my brand of POTS. The side effects aren't consistent and my body metabolizes things differently every day.”

D1 September 1, 2018

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Dysautonomia: “I have been on this a week and seems to be significantly helping breathing issues at night, overall dryness everywhere, constipation, nausea and urinary retention. Side effects though are very unpleasant- very blurry vision (especially at night or in darker lighting), headaches, pelvic pain, muscle cramps, and overall fatigue. I am currently taking a dose of 40mg 3 times a day.”

Kimberly · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 31, 2019

For Myasthenia Gravis: “I'm 56 & after years of struggling, unable to function from extreme muscle weakness, lung cancer & severe back deterioration I finally collapsed! Doctors diagnosed me with myasthenia gravis & within 48 hrs of taking pyridostigmine I was getting my energy back! 12 months later from walker to cane... I am alive & functioning! TY”

neuroguy · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2014

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Myasthenia Gravis: “Double seronegative MG with only ocular symptoms for going on three years -- slight ptosis and (typically torsional) diplopia during flare ups. Edrophonium test was very positive; EMG negative. Mestinon induces absolutely no detectable change for me -- which seems odd if the edrophonium test was positive. Stress levels and possibly pollen levels tend to exacerbate symptoms. Symptoms can be held at bay with 5mg prednisone every third to fourth day heavy exercise regimen (35-45 miles running per week) diet low in wheat but high veggies and protein. Asymptomatic periods have stretched up to 9 months.”

Mammy59 June 29, 2014

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Dysautonomia: “I've been on 30mg of Mestinon two times a day for about three months, I had diarrhea the first few days, more shortness of breath, and some drowsiness, after that I started noticing improvement in my cognition (the worst part of my dysautonomia & Fibromyalgia, to me), and I am able to keep 'doing' things longer than I could before. I do notice when it begins to wear off and I may go up to three times a day on it. I'm very pleased. The only negative I have is big increase in eyelid twitching, and awful muscle spasms in my feet. My neurologist has had me start B-6 for this and it helps a lot.”

EdwinaJW · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 21, 2017

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Myasthenia Gravis: “Thymus tumor caused Myasthenia Gravis. Tumor was removed (thymectomy) but still have severe muscle problems, treated with pyridostigmine 60mgx5 and 5 mg prednisone x2. Which gives me about a 1-2 hour window of better muscle control per dosage. Often times causes severe cramping in neck, head, face, hands, legs.., I take magnesium to relax the muscle cramping. Also have less control of bowels and urinary. Not sure if meds help or hinder in that area. Food has less taste too.”

Anonymous June 22, 2010

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Myasthenia Gravis: “This medicine gave me great relief within few hours of taking it. However, I get really painful cramps in my stomach. I realized I get hungry more often. I have been on it for about three years. Within these three years I have taken about six doses. I think it is great.”

POTSylady · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2017

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Dysautonomia: “I started on 30mg 2x/daily. I had initial loose stools, but have gone back to constipation. I didn't get much relief from my tachycardia, and also noticed an increase in body twitches (not tremors). I'm now trying 60mg 2x/daily and I still have the increase in twitches and most notably, headaches (worse than the normal every day ones), and breathing issues (I already have asthma and laryngospams). Not sure any benefit is worth these side effects, but it's only been a couple of days, so I'll give it a little more time.”

WWolf May 3, 2017

For Myasthenia Gravis: “I am a 52 year old Female, I was diagnosed about 6 months ago, After the first dose of Pyridostigmine, 60 mg, I thought I had found the answer I had been searching for. Yes, I had and no I have not,...It works, but I have to take it 6 times a day. morning and night. The time release is really a great thing,...only slightly to much. So, I have to stop taking the long acting every so often and let a bit of it wear off. I don't really have any side effects except for getting shaky if I excercise too hard, and the 60 mg tab now give me indigestion no matter what I take it with. Small price to pay for feeling good!”

Mazen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 25, 2021

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Myasthenia Gravis: “Mestinon helped ease my symptoms but did not completely relief the pain. Neck and shoulder cramps and pain still persist especially in the evenings and at night. I have been on mestinon since I was diagnosed about 6 months ago. Hoping with long term use it will improve my symptoms”

StephLuvsMichigan November 12, 2008

For Myasthenia Gravis: “I was put on this medication in feb of 08 when I was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis. It took about a month or two to get the dosing right, but once I did it was fabulous with minimal side affects. I love this drug. It has worked wonders to keep my symptoms at a minimum.”

Anonymous March 31, 2012

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Dysautonomia: “Starting taking this a few months ago for dysautonomia and the POTS secondary to it. It helps the low blood pressure, low body temperature, and the gut-transit issues. It does not help the nerve pain or cognitive impairment. Sometimes when I take it a tad too soon (or even sometimes when I take a normal amount at a normal time) it will help my guts, but I will have a lot of difficulty breathing. ”

Anonymoustttyttt August 6, 2016

For Myasthenia Gravis: “I just started this as a trial to see if it works. Double seroneg ocular MG though EMG showed problems in other muscles. Mild had for a while. Have liver disease so started on quarter of a sixty. On taking it I began to feel better, like relief through my body. I noticed my cheek felt normal not like full of lidocaine. I could smile evenly easier, less diplopia, better able to read, and happier. My ptosis is maybe a tiny bit better. I'm on such a little amount it wore off in a couple hours and I wanted to take more. I get to take more tomorrow. I think if you need it it could provide good relief. If it works time release sounds like the way to go.”

randalynn s · Taken for 10 years or more October 3, 2021

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Myasthenia Gravis: “I started taking mestinon when I was first diagnosed in 1999, however in 2004 I had a thyroidectomy and I feel a lot better, I still take 6 pills a day and 2 Immuran pills but I am doing almost a 100% better than I was before the surgery. If I don't eat enough my stomach will cramp badly, so I try to coat my stomach to prevent it, I can also tell when its time for a dosage as well. Before the surgery I couldn't get dressed, drive on the highway (could not see the highway signs), drive at night, the lights hurt my eyes and I was very weak, had to take family medical leave from work.”

Anonymous September 16, 2021

Mestinon (pyridostigmine) for Myasthenia Gravis: “I was recently diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis. I get double vision, droopy eyelids, muscle weakness and muscle fatigue. I started on Mestinon 60mg 3 x a day and 25mg Prednisolone and tapered down 5mg every week. It worked and I felt so much energy but then my medication changed to Mestinon Timespan 180mg and it caused me very painful stomach cramps and excess flatulence and diarrhoea. For 1 month I hoped my body would get used to it but I couldn't handle it anymore. I told my doctor and she said to take half a tablet 1 x a day and so far no bad side effects and only mild stomach cramps. My MG haven't returned. I make sure to eat with the medicine and drink lots of water.”

Anonymous March 27, 2010

For Myasthenia Gravis: “I was taking 3 pills a day, and it was ok for the first few weeks. Then I started with leg and hand cramps, where I couldn't lay down at night. I am now on 3 - 1/2 tablets a day, and the cramping has decreased, but the neurologist is concerned that the ocular symptoms will come back. ”

Kate · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 29, 2020

Mestinon (pyridostigmine): “I have some symptoms of POTS but not most so my dr. put me on 60mg 5x day! It helped at first (been taking 1.5 yr) but then I was researching & noticed it was making my hair thin & falling out! I used to have the best hair & now it is thin, breaking like crazy. At least the balding is under in back of my head & I had thick hair to start w/ but be aware of that side effect!”

oceangirl1 December 18, 2010

“I have Cervical Dystonia in the right side of my face and my eye and Mouth droop. I have only been on this medication for 4 days and can already see small changes. If it works like this, I'll take it forever. I used to have such a pretty smile and now it only smiles on the left...its awful. My nuroligist was giving me mylobloc so now we'll try this!! No side effects so far. Linda in Fl.”