User Reviews for Pyridostigmine to treat Myasthenia Gravis

Also known as: Mestinon, Mestinon Timespan, Regonol

Pyridostigmine has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 20 ratings for the treatment of Myasthenia Gravis. 70% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Pyridostigmine Rating Summary

7.5/10 average rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Myasthenia Gravis.

Reviews for Pyridostigmine

Anonymous March 31, 2010

Mestinon (pyridostigmine): “Mestinon helps everyone differently. I started out with ocular MG. Apparently, this drug helps most people with their ocular MG, but it doesn't do anything at all to improve my eye. My case of MG rapidly generalized, and difficulty breathing was my 2nd symptom to manifest. Mestinon improves my breathing issues somewhat, but doesn't take the shortness of breath away completely. Same with my arms and thighs; it helps, but doesn't make the weakness disappear altogether. Mestinon can cause diarrhea, but most likely won't if taken alongside a meal or with a small snack. It must be taken every 3-4 hours. Mestinon is one of the only drugs out there for MG with the least amount of unpleasant side effects.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 13, 2012

Mestinon (pyridostigmine): “I am a 33 yr old female who was diagnosed with level 4 Myasthenia Gravis about 4 1/2 yes ago. I've taken Mestinon everyday along with a large assortment of other medicines for my condition. I have found it greatly increases my mobility and function, compared to not taking it. The side effects wore off after about 6 months of use, and I really don't have any now.”

mar020980 November 16, 2008

Mestinon (pyridostigmine): “I've taken Mestinon for 3 years, since I was first diagnosed with Generalized MG/Optical MG. There has been a great improvement in my weakness. I'm able to keep my eyes open, I don't lose my balance nearly as much, fall less often. I take it every 3 hours and if I miss a dose, the weakness increases. It's quite like taking a pain reliever for a severe headache in that it lessens the symptoms, but they will return as it wears off.”

zenarcher · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 11, 2015

Mestinon (pyridostigmine): “I had lost the use of my arms and hands, couldn't swallow nor chew....had double vision and often lost the ability for speech. Doctors believe it had progressed nearly 4 years before diagnosed. Within a couple of hours of starting the medication, functioning began to return. I take 3 60mg. tablets per day and am able to function quite well now.”

Franko December 11, 2020

Mestinon (pyridostigmine): “I have Occular Myasthenia Gravis and after being initially put on 50mg of Prednisone and 25mg of Mestinon once each morning my symptoms disappeared and my vision returned to 20/20 after only 9 days, prior to that I had extreme double vision. Now I'm on 3 doses of 60 mg Mestinon and one dose of prednisone eventually aiming on no Prednisone. Certainly urinating more and have diarrhea. Hoping I'll acclimatise to the Mestinon as having my all important vision back is fantastic. Cheers all.”

JJ71 January 25, 2016

Mestinon (pyridostigmine): “I am a 44yr old male recently diagnosed with MG since Nov 2015. I take 90mg 4 times a day. My medication generally last 5hrs. My MG inolves slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, teary eyes, difficulty pushing food around with my tongue, a very weak bite. My medication usually kicks in after 45m-1hr. My speech improves although there is still a hint of a slur but much improved. Swallowing improves but still not confident. I always have water just in case. No diarrhea at all and only once I had severe cramps but that was while I was adjusting my dosage. Taking 2 60mg tablets will probably do that. Have vomited once but I function much better while on Mestinon.”

Kimberly · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 31, 2019

“I'm 56 & after years of struggling, unable to function from extreme muscle weakness, lung cancer & severe back deterioration I finally collapsed! Doctors diagnosed me with myasthenia gravis & within 48 hrs of taking pyridostigmine I was getting my energy back! 12 months later from walker to cane... I am alive & functioning! TY”

neuroguy · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2014

Mestinon (pyridostigmine): “Double seronegative MG with only ocular symptoms for going on three years -- slight ptosis and (typically torsional) diplopia during flare ups. Edrophonium test was very positive; EMG negative. Mestinon induces absolutely no detectable change for me -- which seems odd if the edrophonium test was positive. Stress levels and possibly pollen levels tend to exacerbate symptoms. Symptoms can be held at bay with 5mg prednisone every third to fourth day heavy exercise regimen (35-45 miles running per week) diet low in wheat but high veggies and protein. Asymptomatic periods have stretched up to 9 months.”

EdwinaJW · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 21, 2017

Mestinon (pyridostigmine): “Thymus tumor caused Myasthenia Gravis. Tumor was removed (thymectomy) but still have severe muscle problems, treated with pyridostigmine 60mgx5 and 5 mg prednisone x2. Which gives me about a 1-2 hour window of better muscle control per dosage. Often times causes severe cramping in neck, head, face, hands, legs.., I take magnesium to relax the muscle cramping. Also have less control of bowels and urinary. Not sure if meds help or hinder in that area. Food has less taste too.”

Anonymous June 22, 2010

Mestinon (pyridostigmine): “This medicine gave me great relief within few hours of taking it. However, I get really painful cramps in my stomach. I realized I get hungry more often. I have been on it for about three years. Within these three years I have taken about six doses. I think it is great.”

WWolf May 3, 2017

“I am a 52 year old Female, I was diagnosed about 6 months ago, After the first dose of Pyridostigmine, 60 mg, I thought I had found the answer I had been searching for. Yes, I had and no I have not,...It works, but I have to take it 6 times a day. morning and night. The time release is really a great thing,...only slightly to much. So, I have to stop taking the long acting every so often and let a bit of it wear off. I don't really have any side effects except for getting shaky if I excercise too hard, and the 60 mg tab now give me indigestion no matter what I take it with. Small price to pay for feeling good!”

StephLuvsMichigan November 12, 2008

“I was put on this medication in feb of 08 when I was diagnosed with myasthenia gravis. It took about a month or two to get the dosing right, but once I did it was fabulous with minimal side affects. I love this drug. It has worked wonders to keep my symptoms at a minimum.”

Anonymoustttyttt August 6, 2016

“I just started this as a trial to see if it works. Double seroneg ocular MG though EMG showed problems in other muscles. Mild had for a while. Have liver disease so started on quarter of a sixty. On taking it I began to feel better, like relief through my body. I noticed my cheek felt normal not like full of lidocaine. I could smile evenly easier, less diplopia, better able to read, and happier. My ptosis is maybe a tiny bit better. I'm on such a little amount it wore off in a couple hours and I wanted to take more. I get to take more tomorrow. I think if you need it it could provide good relief. If it works time release sounds like the way to go.”

Anonymous March 27, 2010

“I was taking 3 pills a day, and it was ok for the first few weeks. Then I started with leg and hand cramps, where I couldn't lay down at night. I am now on 3 - 1/2 tablets a day, and the cramping has decreased, but the neurologist is concerned that the ocular symptoms will come back. ”

Sbkulkarni · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2021

“I had good effect and first one tab in morning have partial relief, then 1 morning and evening still sometimes I had problems. Then started 3rd tablet after two - three months now one and half tab is ok with no driving but with driving for 5 hours effect reduces drastically of medicine”

gumbo z July 16, 2014

Mestinon (pyridostigmine): “I have been able to swallow within 2 hours of taking my first pill”

John Va. · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 22, 2017

Mestinon (pyridostigmine): “Medicine works well . I do experience muscle cramps, stomach aches and muscle twitching at times. Blurred vision occasionally. Over all. Satisfied with results.”

John · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 13, 2020

Mestinon (pyridostigmine): “Mestinon seems to be effective for me in treating symptoms.”

Anonymous March 21, 2009

Mestinon (pyridostigmine): “I tried taking Mestinon when I was first diagnosed and it caused bad diarrhea.”

allz April 4, 2012

Mestinon Timespan (pyridostigmine): “Works better than a pill every 6 hours.”

Anonymous June 12, 2011

“I've been taking this medicine for about a year and half and it works. When it starts to wear off the weakness comes back. I'm happy to put up with a few of the side effects.”

PATVB January 30, 2015

Mestinon Timespan (pyridostigmine): “The price has tripled over the last three years. ”

Edvan · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2019

Mestinon (pyridostigmine): “It never lasted more than 2 or 3 days”

Learn more about Myasthenia Gravis