User Reviews for Pregabalin to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Also known as: Lyrica, Lyrica CR

Pregabalin has an average rating of 8.3 out of 10 from a total of 288 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 79% of those users who reviewed Pregabalin reported a positive effect, while 9% reported a negative effect.

Pregabalin Rating Summary

8.3/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Pregabalin

Andrew5671 · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 4, 2021

“I first started taking Lyrica for back pain. This led me to be believe my back pain was psychosomatic. Lyrica helped in more ways. It calmed me down mentally. I feel more relaxed and level headed. I sleep through the night well. I find it non addictive. However the side effects prevent me from taking it often so I generally use it sporadically. I know I shouldn’t but I do. I feel really good the next day. In terms of physical pain management I also took it with Celebrex. Again I am relatively pain free these days so I own have the combination during flare ups. Side effects: I find if I don’t have early in the evening I struggle to wake in the morning. I also find if I take during the day (which I no longer do) I feel groggy and a little lethargic. Overall this drug is one of the best tools I have for pain and mental health. Other things that help me are Meditation, Exercise and Wim Hofs breathing exercises.”

Barnzy · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 31, 2021

“I have been on this medication for about 5 years now, before I was on it I was a mess, I couldn't even go outside because I didn't want anyone to see me in case they try to chat - I can't do convos with people very well, I am also autistic and epileptic & GAD which made my life a mess but pregabalin annihilates anxiety and also helps my epilepsy, This is the best medication you will ever get I advise you all try it if your doctor allows it as it really has the potential to change your life around. I can go outside now without worrying about anything. 10/10”

JimPx · Taken for 10 years or more May 29, 2021

“I have been taking Lyrica for something like 10 years now, what a blessing. I take 200 mg/day, occasionally I’ll have to bump it up a little, but overall 200 mg keeps me anxiety free. I often think back to the day my Dr. came back into examination room and tossed sample boxes of Lyrica tell me to try it, might help. Man did it!”

Muddy · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2020

“I had experienced some major stressors over the last 2-3 months. My anxiety level was started to get out of control and I was in a manic like state. I asked the emergicare clinic for 75mg pregabalin 2x day. Picked up the prescription the next morning, took one 75 mg pill and slept for about 4 hours. When I woke up, my anxiety was GONE. My brain had been a constant buzz for over a month and pregabalin turned off the switch. Physicians need to know about the use of pregabalin for anxiety.”

Tempest1 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 14, 2021

“I have been on this on and off for 4 years now. Originally 300mg daily for 4 months. Gradually dropping down to 100mg a day. I now take as and when I feel a wobble coming on. It has been a life changer for me. It helps calm me down within a hour if anxiety gets bad. My GP suggested using as and when I needed it and I have had no problem with that scenario. I think my body is used to it. I was originally put on antidepressants which sent me loopy. Then a psychiatrist suggested pregabalin. It really helps with sleep and helps me switch off. Getting off this tablet was no problem as it can be dropped in doses of 25mg. I had no problems with it at all. If you have a chance to take it please give it a go. It works really quickly and can be a game changer.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 14, 2020

“Been taking now for over 2 years and it’s honestly been a wonder drug - as I’ve said in previous reviews. I’ve cut down from 300mg to 100mg and it was actually fine, although now my life circumstances have changed and I’m going through a transition, I may take higher doses when needed and this is fine. I’ve found taking a spiritual path really helpful but equally, an anxiety disorder is something that can be life long and genuinely neurological and genetic. You need to treat the core reasons of why you are anxious but equally medication is sometimes necessary. This medication has always kept me feeling safe and stops me from extreme panic. Anxiety just has no place in my life and this stuff truly keeps it at bay. Weight gain sucks but I’d rather weigh a bit more and have peace of mind.”

Darren May 22, 2020

“I have suffered with anxiety and depression since I was a child I'm now 47 and have tried endless different types of other medicines and now Pregabalin has saved my life. I take 600mg a day it calms me gives me confidence and energy it's a wonder drug as far as I'm concerned.”

nick gur · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2019

“Xanax is perfect for panic attacks. Klonopin perfect for eliminating anxiety for your daily activities. Pregabalin perfect for knocking your entire anxiety out of the park. Physical, mental, everything. Anxiety DESTRUCTION.”

Simon · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2021

“Been using Lyrica for less than a month together with Lexapro (aka Cipralex in Europe). Since Lexapro did not have a good sedative effect, this medication did its job - cooled down all emotions and I could more easily manage my life. Let’s not forget only this - this is not an AD, that in chemical way restores neurotransmissions in your brain, this is more symptomatic cure and once you need to stop it - it all could come back. Therefore, while on this drug, be sure you use your time wisely - go to therapy and learn new ways of your daily life, as this is your goal, not drugs. They just help to cool down, but the rest - just in your hands”

Renn · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2020

“I've had GAD since I can remember and its ruled my life but since I've been taking Pregabalin it's totally knocked it on the head! Now I'm the happiest person on earth! I've been taking every type of benzo that's out there but NOTHING has touched it like this medication... Some of the side effects are still there but the drunk kinda walking has stopped. I'd much rather have the side effects than have this crippling anxiety that turned me into a hermit for years. I'm taking 75 in the morning and 75 in the evening. I haven't been on it long enough for any kind of weight gain but in saying that I'm quite thin and tall so I wouldn't mind some weight! Wish I found these meds years ago! YEY!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 29, 2019

“I have struggled for years with depression and anxiety.. I also suffer with nerve pain.. I was prescribed gabapentin for this. After having a major meltdown and going to the out of hours doctor and sitting in his office crying and asking him to 'please help me!' He changed my medication to pregabalin as this not only would sort my nerve pain but also help my anxiety.. and oh my god has it!! I cant ever remember feeling this good! Anxiety..what anxiety!! Its so fast working too I was amazed..I wish I had been prescribed this years ago.. and side effects.. I have put on weight but I'm so much happier I dont care! And a dry mouth..I can live with that. I am in the UK”

Rubence L. Murray · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 27, 2021

“Totally endorse the medication for anxiety - absolutely brilliant but did take about 10 days to kick in- after which my problems are so much less than they were - this has literally handed me my life and purpose back .”

Tonygraz101 · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2019

“Pregablin is the best thing that’s ever happened to me. I’m a combat vet - I suffer from PTSD, GAD, & Depression - I’ve tried so many different medications and currently on a combo of Prozac and Pregablin (PG). The antidepressant works wonders and the PG makes life liveable. Like I actually want to go do things and be with people now that I’m not terrified everyday and in fight or flight literally all the time. My feet would get cold - my hands would start to sweat - and my heart would pound in my throat - NO MORE. 150 MGS does the trick and I’ll gladly stay there as long as possible. I used to abuse benzodiazepines because I didn’t understand what was happening in my body and what stress can do to a mind - now I know. Thank God for PG.”

Johnny · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2019

“Been on pregabalin for 2 weeks. Only 50mg twice a day. I suffer from social anxiety. Always in fight or flight mode when around people. As a result this causes me to feel very low. However my experience so far has been very positive. I am feeling so much more relaxed and my anxiety is down to about a 2 when in social situations. My sleep is also better. I do get red eyes in the morning whilst on this med. Small price of such great relief. Life just seems so much easier and I am so much more relaxed. It is early days and I just hope this continues to work for me. Also never wrote up on any site like this. I have tried a lot of the SSRI's. But no good. Best of luck to all trying this med. I share your pain if you are reading these review sites.”

SilverKeith · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2021

“I've been on 20mg escitalopram (Lexapro) for 3 months with only a partial response to my GAD/SAD so my psychiatrist decided to augment my therapy with pregabalin (Lyrica) split into 2 doses of 75mg (morning and evening). This turned out to be the winning combination that completely alleviated all of my symptoms. Only side effects I experienced on pregabalin were increased sleepiness at the very beginning of treatment which quickly went away. It's a miracle pill for anxiety in my opinion and I hope this helps others!”

ndr_mlt June 2, 2020

“This stuff Pregabalin is amazing. At the dosage of 450mg it increases mood, empathy and has an uplifting effect like no other thing on this earth (on the legal side). It helps too with my social anxiety. I'm agree with my doc to take it in the bad days so to not dissipate the positive effects. I hope my tolerance will not increase. P.S I don't recommend in any way a recreational use. Like with any other substance there are horror story on the net. Stay safe and talk with your doctor.”

Meika · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2020

“I've had crippling GAD since I was a kid and since being on Pregabalin I'm now able to say see ya later to the anxiety that's stopped me from living as I've been a hermit for over 10 yrs! I've tried every benzo there is but after only a very short time I've been so happy to find this medication! I'm taking 150mg per day & the side effects are still going on but I'm not going to stop these meds for relief is totally amazing! They should go as I've read from other people but I'm willing to put up with them for this is like a miracle or something! I wish I found this year's ago. Living at last not just existing! Take care people!”

francisco de la cruz July 31, 2013

Lyrica (pregabalin): “Pregabalin for me was miraculous. On the first dose (75mg three times a day) my anxiety was reversed. I really thought this was too good to be true. I have tried Prozac and lorazepam at different times of my life. But as is commonly known, after the fourth or fifth trial of SSRIs, they "peter out" and actually become counter productive, even in some cases causing serotonin syndrome. But about two years ago, I was in a very stressful marriage break-up and was taking benzodiazepines to keep the lid on the anxiety, with little effect. The GP respected my wish to try Lyrica. I was and still am, after two years, astounded by this transformation. I feel like I always felt I should feel. A cessation of anxiety and a sense of well being pervades. ”

Char B. · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2014

“Lyrica has been incredible for my anxiety! Within just a couple days I was running errands without needing to have someone with me due to anxiety, I was doing chores which I without a second thought often delayed and I was enjoying my life and time with my children. I was prescribed pregablin for Fibromyalgia pain and I can't say I've noticed a difference with pain but its done EVERYTHING for my anxiety! I am way less irritable and moody and feel like I can actually enjoy living a happy and complete life for once without worry, fear or nervousness. I went from being a procrastinating home body to a normal feeling, confident person! My side effects have been blurred vision, sometimes a little sleepy and dizziness. Its 100% worth trying!!”

Beaker · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2021

“I'm about 3 weeks into this pregabalin drug at a relatively low dose, and I cannot believe the effect it is having on me. My social anxiety seems to be gone, vamoose, eradicated! Just for reference, I'm a pretty cynical person who didn't hold much hope for Lyrica, as I've had bad experiences with Cipralex and Effexor. However the transformation in my confidence and sense of calm is staggering. Long may it continue!”

thundercat December 20, 2019

“This is an amazing substance that might as well have come from outer space. I have been prescribed all sorts of psychoactive drugs over the years that started with a bad LSD experience. Finally the Doctors have got it right. definitely a 10/10!!”

John Doe · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2020

“I have severe and major anxiety to the point that I am anxious about everything. I take antidepressants which work like a charm and Hydroxyzine to help with my anxiety. (does not help at all but make me sleepy) I took a 200 mg lyrica and about 30 minutes to an hour later, I felt amazing! I actually felt like myself. The only side effect is that I’m constantly moving around here and there but I’m cleaning and doing positive things. The point is, when I go out in public, I don’t look down when people see me, I’m the person I’ve always wanted to be and I enjoy life so much better now.”

Gerald · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2019

“Not sure if it's too early be be sharing my experience with Lyrica, but there are some important things you should know. I started about a week ago with 75mgX2 one in the morning and one in the evening. I also take 150mg Effexor and 15mg Remeron, both in the evening. The Pregabalin was stronger than I expected (I'm a big man 120kg) and I experienced some dizziness. When I drank 3 beers (3x 0.5 Ltrs) one evening I had some heavy suicidal thoughts the next morning. I stopped taking Lyrica after 3 days because of the suicidal thoughts, On the fifth day, due to my intense anxiety, I decided to take just 75mg in the mornings and cut out all alcohol. This seems to have worked in as much as I have far less anxiety and are more social, but it too early to say. The other side effect I experience is over eating. I suggest you begin with the lowest dose of this drug as you never know what to expect. Merry Christmas and a HAPPY 2020.”

AKM · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 18, 2019

“I’ve been on a million medications for anxiety/ depression (usually multiple at a time). Pregabalin drug was suggested when I was studying abroad in England (I’m from Canada) and it’s the one medication that’s stood the test of time. I even was able to get off all my other medications!”

Jj December 9, 2019

“This has changed my life quite literally, from the anxious shy and introvert person that I usually am with difficulty to show or share my emotions I have become the person I know I am or was before I realised I had GAD. Yes you do get the high side effects but do not misuse this drug. Take it for what you need and maybe you will have the same outcome as I am experiencing. It can be quite addictive so again be careful and do not mix it with alcohol as it can increase the effects by at least x10 in my experience, dizziness, nausea and unstableness. I hope this helps, as I said I am a really bad sufferer of GAD and this has really helped me become myself again.”

realman November 6, 2015

“Lyrica is the best thing that happened to me in 15 years. I have tried nearly every medication on the planet for my severe anxiety and untreatable depression: SSRI's, SNRI's TCA's, MAOi's, Benzos, Ketamine infusions, ECT, CBT and many illegal substances with zero help. I'm on 150mg twice a day and it has literally made me a new human, I feel like when I was teenager, before the depression and anxiety started to ruin my life. I expected it to ease my anxiety somewhat, but what I didn't expect is, that it completely killed it along with the treatment resistant depression, I have no side-effects! Thank you science!”

Charlotte · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2019

“I have been crippled with anxiety and panic attacks for 14 years and I’m only 28. I ended up being pretty housebound as I couldn’t take the train or car without feeling absolute terror. I have tried fluoxetine, citalopram, propranolol and diazepam and none of them worked much. I went and saw a private doctor about my anxiety. I started on a low dose of 50mg twice a day. All I felt was tired and I got a few headaches. Then I upped it to 100mg twice a day and I’ve been on that for about a month now and I can honestly say I feel so much better. Initially I thought it might be the placebo effect but I put myself in situations where I would often usually get extreme anxiety and I didn’t get a panic attack. I still felt nervous because it doesn’t take away everything but the adrenaline & fight or flight didn’t happen it was just in the background. I was worried about all the negative comments on this forum but thought I would try it any way and I’m so pleased I did.”

Anonymous May 19, 2008

Lyrica (pregabalin): “My Doctor prescribed me lyrica for my social anxiety after having tried numerous other more conventional meds over the last 15 years ie; paxil,zoloft,effexor,xanax, etc the list goes on and on , and finally (for me)this really , really works quite well. It stabilizes my feelings of anxiety as well as relieves stress related pain . I feel like a different person, able to take on life rather than hide and let it pass by. Thanks”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder