User Reviews for Pregabalin to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Also known as: Lyrica, Lyrica CR

Pregabalin has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 328 ratings for the off-label treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 78% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 10% reported a negative experience.

Pregabalin rating summary

8.2/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Pregabalin

Tempest1 · Taken for 2 to 5 years · May 14, 2021

“I have been on this on and off for 4 years now. Originally 300mg daily for 4 months. Gradually dropping down to 100mg a day. I now take as and when I feel a wobble coming on. It has been a life changer for me. It helps calm me down within a hour if anxiety gets bad. My GP suggested using as and when I needed it and I have had no problem with that scenario. I think my body is used to it. I was originally put on antidepressants which sent me loopy. Then a psychiatrist suggested pregabalin. It really helps with sleep and helps me switch off. Getting off this tablet was no problem as it can be dropped in doses of 25mg. I had no problems with it at all. If you have a chance to take it please give it a go. It works really quickly and can be a game changer.”

nick gur · Taken for less than 1 month · November 10, 2019

“Xanax is perfect for panic attacks. Klonopin perfect for eliminating anxiety for your daily activities. Pregabalin perfect for knocking your entire anxiety out of the park. Physical, mental, everything. Anxiety DESTRUCTION.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 29, 2019

“I have struggled for years with depression and anxiety.. I also suffer with nerve pain.. I was prescribed gabapentin for this. After having a major meltdown and going to the out of hours doctor and sitting in his office crying and asking him to 'please help me!' He changed my medication to pregabalin as this not only would sort my nerve pain but also help my anxiety.. and oh my god has it!! I cant ever remember feeling this good! Anxiety..what anxiety!! Its so fast working too I was amazed..I wish I had been prescribed this years ago.. and side effects.. I have put on weight but I'm so much happier I dont care! And a dry mouth..I can live with that. I am in the UK”

Muddy · Taken for less than 1 month · August 21, 2020

“I had experienced some major stressors over the last 2-3 months. My anxiety level was started to get out of control and I was in a manic like state. I asked the emergicare clinic for 75mg pregabalin 2x day. Picked up the prescription the next morning, took one 75 mg pill and slept for about 4 hours. When I woke up, my anxiety was GONE. My brain had been a constant buzz for over a month and pregabalin turned off the switch. Physicians need to know about the use of pregabalin for anxiety.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years · February 14, 2020

“Been taking now for over 2 years and it’s honestly been a wonder drug - as I’ve said in previous reviews. I’ve cut down from 300mg to 100mg and it was actually fine, although now my life circumstances have changed and I’m going through a transition, I may take higher doses when needed and this is fine. I’ve found taking a spiritual path really helpful but equally, an anxiety disorder is something that can be life long and genuinely neurological and genetic. You need to treat the core reasons of why you are anxious but equally medication is sometimes necessary. This medication has always kept me feeling safe and stops me from extreme panic. Anxiety just has no place in my life and this stuff truly keeps it at bay. Weight gain sucks but I’d rather weigh a bit more and have peace of mind.”

Darren · May 22, 2020

“I have suffered with anxiety and depression since I was a child I'm now 47 and have tried endless different types of other medicines and now Pregabalin has saved my life. I take 600mg a day it calms me gives me confidence and energy it's a wonder drug as far as I'm concerned.”

Renn · Taken for less than 1 month · February 2, 2020

“I've had GAD since I can remember and its ruled my life but since I've been taking Pregabalin it's totally knocked it on the head! Now I'm the happiest person on earth! I've been taking every type of benzo that's out there but NOTHING has touched it like this medication... Some of the side effects are still there but the drunk kinda walking has stopped. I'd much rather have the side effects than have this crippling anxiety that turned me into a hermit for years. I'm taking 75 in the morning and 75 in the evening. I haven't been on it long enough for any kind of weight gain but in saying that I'm quite thin and tall so I wouldn't mind some weight! Wish I found these meds years ago! YEY!!!”

Johnny · Taken for less than 1 month · September 15, 2019

“Been on pregabalin for 2 weeks. Only 50mg twice a day. I suffer from social anxiety. Always in fight or flight mode when around people. As a result this causes me to feel very low. However my experience so far has been very positive. I am feeling so much more relaxed and my anxiety is down to about a 2 when in social situations. My sleep is also better. I do get red eyes in the morning whilst on this med. Small price of such great relief. Life just seems so much easier and I am so much more relaxed. It is early days and I just hope this continues to work for me. Also never wrote up on any site like this. I have tried a lot of the SSRI's. But no good. Best of luck to all trying this med. I share your pain if you are reading these review sites.”

Tonygraz101 · Taken for less than 1 month · November 2, 2019

“Pregablin is the best thing that’s ever happened to me. I’m a combat vet - I suffer from PTSD, GAD, & Depression - I’ve tried so many different medications and currently on a combo of Prozac and Pregablin (PG). The antidepressant works wonders and the PG makes life liveable. Like I actually want to go do things and be with people now that I’m not terrified everyday and in fight or flight literally all the time. My feet would get cold - my hands would start to sweat - and my heart would pound in my throat - NO MORE. 150 MGS does the trick and I’ll gladly stay there as long as possible. I used to abuse benzodiazepines because I didn’t understand what was happening in my body and what stress can do to a mind - now I know. Thank God for PG.”

SilverKeith · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 26, 2021

“I've been on 20mg escitalopram (Lexapro) for 3 months with only a partial response to my GAD/SAD so my psychiatrist decided to augment my therapy with pregabalin (Lyrica) split into 2 doses of 75mg (morning and evening). This turned out to be the winning combination that completely alleviated all of my symptoms. Only side effects I experienced on pregabalin were increased sleepiness at the very beginning of treatment which quickly went away. It's a miracle pill for anxiety in my opinion and I hope this helps others!”

francisco de la cruz · July 31, 2013

Lyrica (pregabalin): “Pregabalin for me was miraculous. On the first dose (75mg three times a day) my anxiety was reversed. I really thought this was too good to be true. I have tried Prozac and lorazepam at different times of my life. But as is commonly known, after the fourth or fifth trial of SSRIs, they "peter out" and actually become counter productive, even in some cases causing serotonin syndrome. But about two years ago, I was in a very stressful marriage break-up and was taking benzodiazepines to keep the lid on the anxiety, with little effect. The GP respected my wish to try Lyrica. I was and still am, after two years, astounded by this transformation. I feel like I always felt I should feel. A cessation of anxiety and a sense of well being pervades. ”

Barnzy · Taken for 5 to 10 years · May 31, 2021

“I have been on this medication for about 5 years now, before I was on it I was a mess, I couldn't even go outside because I didn't want anyone to see me in case they try to chat - I can't do convos with people very well, I am also autistic and epileptic & GAD which made my life a mess but pregabalin annihilates anxiety and also helps my epilepsy, This is the best medication you will ever get I advise you all try it if your doctor allows it as it really has the potential to change your life around. I can go outside now without worrying about anything. 10/10”

Pete · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 17, 2022

“Diagnosed with Complex PTSD, Borderline Personality order, Generalised Anxiety Disorder. Had anxiety most of my life, which has been particularly bad last three years. Recently spend 5 weeks in a psychiatric hospital due to severe anxiety (body shaking - planning the end of my life prior to admission to hospital). Consultant on the Ward put me on 300 mg Pregabilin /daily. It has made a major difference to my anxiety levels - I am much calmer. People say I am much more present and my thought no longer go all over the place - ten thoughts at once! I have been taking Pregabilin for about 9 weeks now. I feel like my old self - my sense of humour has come back, am no longer suicidal and feel optimisitic about the future. I see a psychiatric nurse weekly and tell her how I really feel - which helps. The relief from anxiety is wonderful - as I have a full time job (social worker).”

Meika · Taken for less than 1 month · February 2, 2020

“I've had crippling GAD since I was a kid and since being on Pregabalin I'm now able to say see ya later to the anxiety that's stopped me from living as I've been a hermit for over 10 yrs! I've tried every benzo there is but after only a very short time I've been so happy to find this medication! I'm taking 150mg per day & the side effects are still going on but I'm not going to stop these meds for relief is totally amazing! They should go as I've read from other people but I'm willing to put up with them for this is like a miracle or something! I wish I found this year's ago. Living at last not just existing! Take care people!”

Hanna · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 25, 2021

“I think this is the first review I’ve ever left on anything! I’ve suffered with Anxiety for years and I’ve been on numerous medications which have never worked so I gave up. I then recently went through a very rocky time in my life which flared up my anxiety - I couldn’t eat, couldn’t sleep and I was struggling with general day to day tasks until I discovered pregabalin. I am honestly amazed by the effect it’s had on me. Within a few hours of taking 100mg my Anxiety had pretty much gone and my appetite was back more than ever. Personally, I stopped taking this daily and I now take as and when I feel necessary which my GP is ok with. Never have I known something so effecting for Anxiety - game changer.”

Char B. · Taken for less than 1 month · March 12, 2014

“Lyrica has been incredible for my anxiety! Within just a couple days I was running errands without needing to have someone with me due to anxiety, I was doing chores which I without a second thought often delayed and I was enjoying my life and time with my children. I was prescribed pregablin for Fibromyalgia pain and I can't say I've noticed a difference with pain but its done EVERYTHING for my anxiety! I am way less irritable and moody and feel like I can actually enjoy living a happy and complete life for once without worry, fear or nervousness. I went from being a procrastinating home body to a normal feeling, confident person! My side effects have been blurred vision, sometimes a little sleepy and dizziness. Its 100% worth trying!!”

realman · November 6, 2015

“Lyrica is the best thing that happened to me in 15 years. I have tried nearly every medication on the planet for my severe anxiety and untreatable depression: SSRI's, SNRI's TCA's, MAOi's, Benzos, Ketamine infusions, ECT, CBT and many illegal substances with zero help. I'm on 150mg twice a day and it has literally made me a new human, I feel like when I was teenager, before the depression and anxiety started to ruin my life. I expected it to ease my anxiety somewhat, but what I didn't expect is, that it completely killed it along with the treatment resistant depression, I have no side-effects! Thank you science!”

ndr_mlt · June 2, 2020

“This stuff Pregabalin is amazing. At the dosage of 450mg it increases mood, empathy and has an uplifting effect like no other thing on this earth (on the legal side). It helps too with my social anxiety. I'm agree with my doc to take it in the bad days so to not dissipate the positive effects. I hope my tolerance will not increase. P.S I don't recommend in any way a recreational use. Like with any other substance there are horror story on the net. Stay safe and talk with your doctor.”

AKM · Taken for 1 to 2 years · October 18, 2019

“I’ve been on a million medications for anxiety/ depression (usually multiple at a time). Pregabalin drug was suggested when I was studying abroad in England (I’m from Canada) and it’s the one medication that’s stood the test of time. I even was able to get off all my other medications!”

thundercat · December 20, 2019

“This is an amazing substance that might as well have come from outer space. I have been prescribed all sorts of psychoactive drugs over the years that started with a bad LSD experience. Finally the Doctors have got it right. definitely a 10/10!!”

Moodymare · Taken for less than 1 month · September 17, 2019

“Pregabalin saved me from the depths of anguish with anxiety and panic attacks, tried effexor, sertraline, and prozac. My anxiety got so bad I couldn't function or look after my kids or my home ,eventually got prescribed pregabalin 75 mg twice daily, from the first dose it was like a miracle within a few hours my anxiety was almost completely gone ,try it .it definitely worked for me. I can't say how grateful I am for this medication.”

Charlotte · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 23, 2019

“I have been crippled with anxiety and panic attacks for 14 years and I’m only 28. I ended up being pretty housebound as I couldn’t take the train or car without feeling absolute terror. I have tried fluoxetine, citalopram, propranolol and diazepam and none of them worked much. I went and saw a private doctor about my anxiety. I started on a low dose of 50mg twice a day. All I felt was tired and I got a few headaches. Then I upped it to 100mg twice a day and I’ve been on that for about a month now and I can honestly say I feel so much better. Initially I thought it might be the placebo effect but I put myself in situations where I would often usually get extreme anxiety and I didn’t get a panic attack. I still felt nervous because it doesn’t take away everything but the adrenaline & fight or flight didn’t happen it was just in the background. I was worried about all the negative comments on this forum but thought I would try it any way and I’m so pleased I did.”

Sircrag · Taken for 1 to 2 years · May 1, 2014

“I have suffered with severe anxiety and depression for years. I tried 6 different antidepressants as well as benzodiazepines and all did nothing for me of any help. Eventually I was put on Pregabalin by a Psychiatrist and it was very helpful almost from day one. We increased my dose until I take the maximum of 300mg twice a day. At this dose my anxiety has been pretty much eliminated, I am happy and now an active person. However a word of warning to anybody taking this medicine for a long time: DO NOT allow yourself to suddenly withdraw from it. I recently had to go a week without it and it was a living hell for me. Withdrawal symptoms for me were as follows: severe anxiety and depression, suicidal ideation, inability to sleep, nausea and vomiting”

Leeanne · Taken for 1 to 2 years · July 12, 2019

“Lyrica has literally given me my life back. My diagnosis is severe GAD, PTSD, and both made it impossible for me to work or even go to the store. Was started on 300 mg, now taking 500 and I feel better than I ever have before. I'm sorry to hear it didn't work for others because it truly gave me my life back!!!”

John Doe · Taken for less than 1 month · December 20, 2020

“I have severe and major anxiety to the point that I am anxious about everything. I take antidepressants which work like a charm and Hydroxyzine to help with my anxiety. (does not help at all but make me sleepy) I took a 200 mg lyrica and about 30 minutes to an hour later, I felt amazing! I actually felt like myself. The only side effect is that I’m constantly moving around here and there but I’m cleaning and doing positive things. The point is, when I go out in public, I don’t look down when people see me, I’m the person I’ve always wanted to be and I enjoy life so much better now.”