User Reviews for Livalo

Learn more about Livalo.

Livalo Rating Summary

5.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 301 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Livalo to treat High Cholesterol

"I had 656 cholesterol triglycerides 1600..Off the chart could not calculate other #'s from it being so high.I was on lipitor, crestor, and none worked very well and i had Old man syndrome, sore tired.I was put on 2mg livalo in 3 months My triglycerides . are 77. total cholesterol 203..a great ratio of good to bad..liver function excellent..No side effects. I was 194 now 175 mild bp 130 over 82 PR of 80 I am happy so far Oh I am a healthy active 62 yearold"

jimbo1955 August 24, 2016

"I had only taken this a short time and my thumb muscles collapsed. I immediately quit, but I could not close my hand or make a fist. I now have carpal tunnel and I am experiencing back muscle and nerve problems. I think my heart muscle may have been affected. This is horrid. A case where the cure is worse than the disease!!!!!!"

Anonymous May 14, 2016

"Have trouble tolerating cholesterol meds so my doctor gave me a sample of Livalo. The first day I took this drug I felt like I had consumed vast quantities of caffeine. I slept poorly, felt depressed, and even had the shakes. I really wanted to find a medication to reduce my cholesterol but the side effects of Livalo were just too prohibitive. It is also very expensive. Even with insurance, a 3-month supply was $125 and my insurance would not accept the drug manufacturer's coupon."

Austxnaturegal (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2016

"The muscles in my thumbs collapsed and I developed carpal tunnel. Could not use my hands"

Hurting 1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

"Male, 56 years old. Work out three times a week. Started Livalo four weeks ago. No muscle pain but started to get extreme back pain in the morning while waking up. Also, the memory loss and confusion was severe. Actually went to neurologist to check me for dimentia or Alzheimer disease. Tired of the statins and their severe side effects. Tried most of the popular ones."

Lmtony December 30, 2015

"I have been on Livalo 4 mg for over 2 years. It has decreased my Cholesterol a lot, however the past year, I have had more lower back pain, pain in my shoulder (the ortho Dr said tendinitis) and since June have developed abdominal pain. Had MRI and Ultra sound, nothing found, after getting my script filled, I just so happened to read the side effects (never usually do) and bam, there it was, abdominal pain, shoulder pain, lower back pain. I just switched Drs, so I am going to fill her in on what I found out to see how she wants to proceed. And it is very expensive, however my Dr gave me a discount card so I only pay $18 a month."

KRIStyc December 29, 2015

"I am taking Livalo for several months due to the fact that other statins caused a lot of muscle pains. It has help my cholesterol levels a lot. My issue is now my glucose levels are high which is not normal for me. My doctor thought I could be diabetic . My glucose levels were normal before starting on this. Also after reading the other reviews I may have other reactions from it. Lower back pain that is dull. Shoulder and neck pain and headaches. I didn't connect it. I went to the Chiropractor to try and help that. Now. I think it's time to discuss with my doctor that it could all be from the Livalo ."

Anonymous t (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 14, 2015

"Have been on Livalo for a few years, 2mg a day. I'm a female, 58, 5'3, normal-petite. First I have to say reading all the reviews r not useful to many people. U cannot compare yourself to a 75 yr old or a 35 yr old or even female/male. I feel u can only find answers when u compare yourself to the same type of person. I do not take any other medication except for Xanax for panic/anxiety disorder. After a few years of taking Livalo I'm experiencing horrible joint pains in my toes and feet. I feel like I'm 78 when I get up in the morning. There is no history of arthritis in my family. My mother lived to 94, my dad 92. They had little health issues but not til they were old. I'm so depressed now, I don't want to be around friends. My feet hurt"

AGForever (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 5, 2015

"After having another Stent placed in my heart my new cardiologist tried me on generic Crestor much to my dislike. I have tried them all they all cause me extreme pain in my muscles, bones (back, legs, arms, feet etc.)heart.. Nightmares this time, confusion, headaches. Symptoms began within a few hours of taking it. He switched me to this livalo and the pain was worse.No thank you. I'll pass."

7xGrammie7X's (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2015

"Went off lipitor after about 7 years followed by crestor for 2 years. I experienced muscle pain and nightly heartburn. Started Livalo after being off Crestor for 60 days to make sure it was the statin that caused the muscle pain. It was. Now experiencing no muscle pain with Livalo and to my surprise no heartburn. Had no idea that lipitor and crestor caused the heartburn. Had NMR bloodtest last week. Livalo is amazing. Triglicerides plummeted, cholesterol particle size went up nicely and insulin resistance went from pre-diabetic which it has been for 5 years to no risk. If your Dr. doesn't do NMR test you may be taking statin unnecessarily. My cardio Dr. doesn't even want to know what traditional HDL and LDL numbers are."

PaulDK (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2015

"Crestor, Lipitor, in fact all statins except Livalo gave me severe muscle pains 24/7. Having Post Polio Syndrome the situation was exacerbated. Livalo gave me no pains at all for the 6 or so years I have been taking it."

Christofer July 28, 2015

"Has lowered triglycerides-also cholesterol and so far no side affects."

pusha (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 8, 2015

"I stopped taking avorastatin due to my blood sugar raising while on the prescription. I also experienced a dull aching in my legs and arms off and on. The avorastatin also gave me night terrors where I woke up screaming seeing dark figures in the room. Now I have switched to Livalo for the last few months. My blood sugars are still up a littler higher than when I don't take cholesterol medication, but it is much more manageable. My nightmares have gone away. My cholesterol numbers are within range with healthy eating. I do not experience muscle aches at all with Livalo. So far, so good!"

ranilovesus (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2015

"After taking 2mg of Livalo for 3 weeks, I experienced several side effects, so much so, I am no longer taking any statin. Severe muscle pain and weakness and joint pain, flu like symptoms but no fever, even though I felt like I had a fever. Slight cough, runny nose and extreme lower abdominal pain. Then came the chills. That's it. I have experienced muscle weakness and pain on other statins, so my body knows better and I'm listening to it."

MBHJ (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2015

"Tried numerous statins over a dozen, legs hurt so bad couldn't sleep. Been taking this 2mg for over two years NO side effects. If you not on any govt program like Medicare you can use the company card and get it for $18.00 a month vs. $233.00 a month cash. "

Ttex (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2015

"Livalo is the first statin medicine I have taken without experiencing muscle pain side effects. After a year, I still have no issues though I had to stop taking 3 others including pravastatin, Crestor and Lipitor. My numbers are all good now with a particularly good reading for good cholesterol."

HKFlash December 22, 2014

"No apparent side effects and seems to control my cholesterol sufficiently."

DustyDave November 17, 2014

"I was so hoping I could take Livalo. From the very beginning I started having headaches. I thought it was from having allergies. Took it for two months. Started having tightness in chest, muscles hurting in shoulders, and neck. Getting tired just walking around in apartment. Feeling feverish, no fever, chills. Itching, but other medicines I take say they can cause itching too, but itching got worse since taking Livalo. Stopped taking it one week ago today. Haven't told doctor yet since I already had an appointment next week. I would rather watch my diet. Actually the doctor said my heart was in good shape. Don't think I'm that bad off."

bornhoosier (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2014

"My doctor asked me to try Livalo for high cholesterol due to my blood sugar raising when I was on atovastatin. I stopped taking Atovastatin because I had nightmares on it and felt like my legs had an aching dull pain most of the time. Livalo is very expensive at $65.00 per month! I will get my numbers checked this week for Livalo. So far I had pain in my fingers, palm of my hand, and knee pain for the first 2 weeks. After 1 month all of the pain has subsided, but now I find my fasting glucose numbers are beginning to get higher than when not on cholesterol medication. If my fasting glucose continues to rise, I will stop taking Livalo even if it helps my cholesterol numbers."

Mary Elizabeth May 12, 2014

"Cardiologist put me on this because I had muscle cramping and pain on Crestor and other statins. Took very low dose once a week. Tolerated it well for about 2 months than started having muscle cramping in my leg so severe that I was completely unable to sleep. Have not had cholesterol levels checked, but I will have to stop taking this."

KCJan February 23, 2014

"I've been on Livalo for 9 mos increasing the dose from 2 mg to 4 mg every other day with no side effects then due to poor LDL test (140) my MD switched me to 4 mg every day after 45 days I now have extreme diarrhea, stomach pain overall weakness and feel like I'm depressed And in a fog, sexual desire has waned as well - I'm stopping the meds. I'm 55 yrs old I work out 4 x a week lift weights etc triglycerides have always been low (55) and HDL (76) high without meds, only LDL was 170."

Hyeoctane February 7, 2014

"I'm sure Livalo works for some people but after the first pill I had to stop. I felt like I had severe flu symptoms. My head pounded all night, my neck was sore and stiff, I felt disoriented like my head was full of cotton and had a mild panic attack. Couldn't go to work the next day. It's too bad because I know it does good for some but the side effects hit me hard. I'll have to stick to diet and exercise."

Anonymous55 October 17, 2013

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Been on Livalo for two months now and it did not change my cholesterol levels. Still at 285/212. No symptoms or side effects. Just does not work for me."

jmoore211 September 18, 2013

"I am 50 and had 2 heart attacks and 2 strokes. I cannot take any statins because of leg cramps. I have been on Livalo for 18 months my cholesterol is 183 from 329 I love it. It took the place of 4 different medicines that caused a mal-absorption problem. I go through patient assistance program but was told Lilly care doesn't carry it any more."

Chargenut July 9, 2013

"I have been on Livalo for 4 months. About 4 weeks ago starting having pain in fingers of my left hand. 2 weeks ago pain in back of leg from above the knee to the foot. Pain is persisting and hinders my sleep. I have had problems with my muscles while on Lipitor and Crestor."

Bassetbuddies (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate