User Reviews for Livalo to treat High Cholesterol

Livalo Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 280 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Livalo

JLL · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 22, 2020

“Livalo is a great drug, on 2 mg LIVALO for 11 months now, my numbers are excellent - no more back pains (one of the side effects I had with my previous statins!). One additional side effect while on last previous statin (Crestor) was A1C/blood glucose levels elevated - these increased in parallel with each higher dose of Crestor prescribed. Since being placed on Livalo 2mg dosage my A1C is excellent averaging 5.9- I do not have spikes in blood glucose and my cholesterol levels are now well within limits >goals desired by both my cardiac/general practice medical physicians are now met!”

Rick · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 28, 2020

“I’ve been on 2mg Livalo for about 6 months. I take it at night, and have had morning diarrhea for about 4 months. Also neck pain and confusion. I’m going to stop taking and have labs done to see LDL/HDL numbers. But if diarrhea stops, I’m off it.”

Connie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2020

“I stopped taking statins because of the horrific side effects. My last labs: cholesterol 396. Dr wanted to try Livalo and I agreed. Livalo is the only statin that I have taken without the horrific side effects. I have great insurance and usually pay $10 co pay for the other statins. Livalo's co pay is like $150 co pay. Even with the savings card, it's $78. That's a huge chunk for those of us who are living on a fixed income. If the other companies have the pricing that we can pay, there is no reason but greed that the company whom makes Livalo won't make it affordable also. So I ask a lot of people about the med Livalo and seems the Doctors aren't prescribing it very often because of the inability of their patients to buy it.”

RSH · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 15, 2019

“Livalo is the 5th statin I have tried.. was on 4mg. All the statins have lowered my numbers. But all had muscle pain, cramping and joint ache. Livalo has been the worst. Within 3 months my shoulder joints bothered me, my neck hurt and went into full spasm so badly I could hardly stand it (and my neck always had a spot that hurt), my lower back ached, had constipation, my joints (knees, ankles, hip/groin) cracked every day, the worst was a groin spasm (twice in a row) while walking that left me with a groin injury .. seems like my tendons/ligaments were under attack. I stopped Livalo I feel much better.”

Rudyflash · Taken for less than 1 month October 18, 2019

“59 years old. I tried statins and suffered leg cramping. New heart doc put me on Livalo. Said it doesn’t cause muscle issues. Took for less than a month. Severe stomach pain and flu like symptoms of extreme diarrhea (eight days straight), low grade fever, upper abdominal pain, general malaise. Incapacitated for over a week. Forgot to take it one day. Within 24 hours diarrhea subsided as well as stomach pain and general malaise. Stayed off the drug one week. Took it again to test and see if it may have been the flu. After three days stomach pain recurred and stools started to soften. Called the doc. Talked to assistant. She called back. Said the doc didn’t think these were side effects and that they can’t be expected to look at the pamphlets that come with the drugs. Won’t be going back to that doc. Also blood tests while on showed high glucose. Done with statins. BTW I’m on no other meds and generally quite healthy.”

Nero · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 20, 2019

“For the past 10 years my doctor try every cholesterol pill on me all of them gave me muscle pain and couldn't walk, he gave me Livalo 2mg to start and it was totally different now I take 4mg and no muscle pain at all.”

Chino · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2019

“So far three weeks on Livalo 2mg don't know the result yet until three months blood test on Nov. So far, the the only complain is that after taking this med at night time I would have couple of unwanted erection & wet dream each morning. I don't know if that the result of taking concurrently with my high blood pressure med, but each morning I feel I need to go urinate and I have an erection. The other cons is that it cause me almost $50 for a month supply with manufacture coupon without it, almost $180.”

Pumpkin · Taken for less than 1 month July 28, 2019

“Have been on 2 mg. per day for 10 days. (Have tried four other statin meds years ago but bad side effects and one allergic reaction resulted in discontinuance of the drugs.) With Livalo, side effects started three days ago. I am having intermittent stabbing pain around knee area, hip pain, spasms in toes with pain, foggy memory, intermittent stomach pain, intermittent neck/shoulder pain, constant fatigue, and feeling of lump in throat that negatively affects my sleep. (Will being seeing another cardiologist tomorrow for second opinion re condition of my heart.) After CT of coronary arteries seven months ago, I was told by my cardiologist that the artery that makes widows is bad, resulting in my heart being like a volcano that could erupt any time. I have sticky cholesterol and a reading of HDL 66, LDL 156, Triglycerides 110, prior to starting Livalo and without taking any other statin. Will be retested in 4 weeks but not sure whether I will continue on Livalo.”

Lady Blueblood · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2019

“I had three abnormal EKGs, and abnormal echocardiogram and abnormal stress test and was experiencing fatigue and tightness in my chest. My Dr scheduled a heart Cath suspecting blockage. She put me on Livalo 2 mgs per day since I cannot tolerate other statins. Within three days the chest tightness was gone. The heart Cath was normal. Unfortunately Livalo is so expensive my insurance won't not pay for it and forced me to use an older statin. Why make these drugs if the price is so high that insurance and Medicare won't cover them? It does cause back aches and nausea but nothing compared to Lipitor and Creator. Guess I will try Bergomot instead and go natural.”

Anna Marie · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 3, 2019

“I've been using 2 mg. of Livalo after a bad side effect experience with Lipitor. I've had no side effects with Livalo and it does seem to be helping my cholesterol. I may have to go to a higher dosage though, as I've been taking it for 2 years and my doctor says my LDL's are getting too high, even though my total cholesterol is below 200. My insurance doesn't cover this drug without a doctor's note that I've not been able to take 4 other statins due to bad side effects. My doctor has to write a new note every year for my insurance company to cover it, due to the high cost. Luckily, I am able to get the coupon discount the company provides, otherwise I would not be able to afford this prescription.”

LMF · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 6, 2019

“I have been taking Livalo 2 mg. since 12/18 for high cholesterol At the beginning I had constipation issues but that has gotten better. Recently I am experiencing pain in one knee. It hurts when I take a step or if I’m going downstairs. I love taking Zumba classes and I feel like I have to be very careful. I’ve never had a problem before taking this medicine. I emailed my doctor and he said he has never heard of this medicine causing joint, knee or leg pain! I see on the Livalo website that it can cause these issues. I saw one person’s comment about severe knee pain. ”

Peggy · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2019

“I am 4mg Livalo for 3 weeks. Side effects: feet feel like I've walked on coals. The ankles hurt - like I've consumed a vat of salt! Tops of toes reddish flush. Lower back is achy. I do feel tired lately. Intestinal issues. But what really has me concerned is the brain fog/memory lapse and the odd disjointed feeling in my hands. Simple tasks...like holding coffee, typing or opening something - has me truly concentrating on what I am doing. My cholesterol 281, LDL 181. Must wait 3 months to have my numbers checked.”

Twilight · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 15, 2019

“Livalo has worked well for me in terms of numbers. Had ankle and Achille Tendon pain with Lipitor and Crestor. I am Medicare age and still working since my employer covers Livalo costs, over $700 for 90 days. Medicare doesn't cover.”

Anabella · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2019

“I started on Livalo on January 14, 2019. I realized today, exactly 4 weeks on the medication, that the pain in my neck is from the Livalo. I couldn’t understand why the “stiff neck” I’ve been suffering with would not go away. I actually sought a massage therapist and a Chiropractor to help me with the pain that has lasted 3 weeks now! This is not a stiff neck! It’s the side effects of this medication! Throw it away!!! Change your diet to reduce your cholesterol!”

Crippled · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2019

“My doctor gave me one month samples of Livalo, and I took them as directed. Several employees in the doctor's office commented on how expensive the drug is, so I wondered why he would have me try it; I was in the Medicare "donut hole." I experienced abdominal pain, widespread muscle pain, cognitive problems, and loss of manual dexterity owing to severe pain in my thumbs and "trigger" fingers on both hands. The hand problems, specifically, are not side effects I had with previous statins. Livalo did NOT lower my cholesterol, but now, over two months after quitting, I cannot hold a cup of coffee with one hand. I think this drug should be taken off the market.”

LOU · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2019

“After taking Livalo I developed several side effects like aching muscles and joints and sniffles but the biggest one is constant hot flashes. Haven't had hot flashes for 5 years. Now every hour. Stopped taking 2 weeks ago, I'm still having hot flashes several times a day.”

Tim · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 1, 2018

“Very effective. But not covered by most insurance or Medicare.”

Donna August 31, 2018

“After 40 days my joints started to hurt. I can't put any weight on my wrists. It's something new to me because I'm pretty athletic and strong. I switched from Provastatin to Livalo. The first one was bad this one even worse. Every statin raises the sugar in my blood stream. I'm going to find out how high is my risk of heart attack because I think diabetes is much worse. Probably I will go to gym 6 days and quit statins completely. Taking Provastatin I had pretty often kind of muscles injuries in the gym almost every week. I could not understand why but now everything has become clear once I read peoples experiences and opinions.”

Navymom85 August 16, 2018

“Finally found a drug that will work for me with samples provided by my doctor. Go to fill my script and my insurance company won't cover the drug. The charge is $350 dollars for 30 pills. Oh sure get excited that Livalo will help keep the cost as little as 18 dollars a month. That is A LIE AND MISLEADING. The company also indicates the a 2 person household has to make less than 16000 a year for any further assistance that may be offered 16000 a month. Unbelievable. Disgusting now I have no medicine to take.”

Katie · Taken for less than 1 month August 14, 2018

“I have only taken Livalo for 10 days but seem to be very tired to the point of not wanting to get out of bed in the morning. I had severe reactions on Lipitor and Crestor so not sure if tiredness is from Livalo or not but just not feeling like myself.”

Jeep00057 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 6, 2018

“Brain fog, lack of energy, sleeplessness SEVERE KNEE PAIN to the point of I cannot walk. Stairs are IMPOSSIBLE. I cannot stay on this statin. I have tried many, but much more brain fog and severe pain in my knees with this one statin.”

Sjk · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 8, 2018

“I had problems with other cholesterol medication, my doctor put me on Livalo, started with muscle pain in my back, I stopped taking them, now a year and half later, still having pain, back itches to the point it wakes me up, could someone tell how long it takes to totally get out of system, I even call the manufacturer and they couldn't tell me.”

K · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2018

“I have taken other Statins, but have been on Livalo since Jan 1. After a few weeks, I began experiencing upper thoracic pain after standing for awhile. And the last couple of weeks, I have been so tired, esp about 9:30 am and later afternoon, that I would like to take a nap. I have tried but I am not a daytime sleeper, so I don't rest, much less sleep. My balance is off, and I nearly fell a few times. 1 more thing, I cannot get warm; and that has been since the beginning of January. Oh, and this morning I was greeted by moderate discomfort down my posterior R thigh. Normally, I am a very active woman, but not so much lately.”

VickyDag · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2018

“Started on Lipitor 10mg years ago - no issues then Doctor upped dosage to 20mg and I couldn't get out of bed! Gave up on statins till December when Cardiologist put me on Livalo 2mg for 5 weeks. No muscle aches or pains but increase in leg cramps. Went to regular Doctor in January - blood test A1C was elevated but all cholesterol levels were in limits! Thought from Livalo and so I was put on Crestor.... 2 weeks on Crestor and daily headaches, muscle aches & pains, weight gain and blood glucose still elevated and not under control. Quit and went back to Livalo! Aches and pains went away. Read that statins in general can have an effect on blood glucose. Each person reacts to medication differently - like "your mileage may vary". I'll stick with the Livalo to keep my cholesterol in check and work on diet and exercise to get my weight down so I can get off all medications!”

M. R. · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 29, 2018

“Have taken all the statins, they all caused severe muscle problems. CPK was off the charts! I asked the Dr. about Livalo which he didn't think too much about. I took 2mg's and 30 days later all my numbers were cut in half! It really does work, for some reason I trust the japanese. We tried 4mg and a that point my muscle issues came back. So, I'm at 2mg without any major issues. Skin is a little dry now and then, a little pain here and there, a little rash here and there. But overall it really works. 40mgs of Lipitor or 2 mgs of Livalo! I would go with less is more! My next mission is to take 2mg every other day. It will still work according to my doctor! Less is more!”