Can you drink alcohol while taking Livalo?
What are the signs and symptoms of liver problems caused by Livalo?
Can you drink alcohol while taking Livalo (pitavastatin)?
- Yes, you can drink a small amount of alcohol while on Livalo, IF you have no problems with your liver and your liver is functioning well.
- But, if you have liver problems, your liver does not function properly or if you have a history or currently are a heavy alcohol drinker then you should NOT drink alcohol with Livalo.
Livalo has a risk of causing liver problems and if you drink large amounts of alcohol this will increase your risk. If your liver is functioning well you may choose to drink a small amount of alcohol. The drugs.com interaction checker recommends you should limit the amount of alcohol you drink while being treated with Livalo.
If you are currently a heavy drinker or have a history of heavy alcohol use it is important to tell your doctor. They can then test your liver function to see if taking Livalo will be safe for you to take. If your liver function is good and they prescribe Livalo for you, they can monitor how well the liver is coping with Livalo by doing regular liver function tests.
What are the signs or symptoms of liver problems?
While taking Livalo it is good to be aware of the signs or symptoms of liver problems.
Signs and symptoms of liver problems include:
- joint pain or swelling
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- skin rash
- loss of appetite
- abdominal pain
- dark urine
- pale stools
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
If you have any of these symptoms it is important to contact your doctor immediately.
- Livalo Medication Information: https://www.drugs.com/pro/livalo.html
- Drugs.com Medication Interaction checker: https://www.drugs.com/food-interactions/pitavastatin,livalo.html
Related Medical Questions
- How is Livalo different from other statins?
- When is the best time of day to take Livalo?
- What are the side effects of statins?
- Do statins help treat COVID-19?
- Livalo Information for Consumers
- Livalo Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Livalo (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Livalo (4 questions, 18 members)