User Reviews for Elidel

Elidel has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 69 ratings on Drugs.com. 62% of those users who reviewed Elidel reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Eczema
7.2
Atopic Dermatitis
Perioral Dermatitis  Off-label
7.3
Summary of Elidel reviews 6.9 69 reviews

Reviews for Elidel

fferrari13 · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2021

For Atopic Dermatitis: “I am horrified by this cream, I developed a rash on my face all around my eyes from a paint allergy and the doctor gave me this cream. I used it once lightly and an hour later my entire face was burning and eyes were watering non stop. I woke up the next day and my eyes were all swollen and irritated. Rash symptoms were gone but face was now red and swollen. The day after my eyes were still swollen and I can see a red mark on my face that outlines where I had put the cream. I look worse than when I actually had the rash. I am horrified that this is a genuine normal side effect of this cream. Please be careful, I will never ever touch this stuff again.”

MaryC1202 · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2021

For Eczema: “Eczema on my hips for past 23 plus years and it was always manageable with different creams but with all the TV commercials saying meds are out there for eczema I decided to visit my dermatologist and ask for help so when I had a flare I didn't have to use steroids. I tried Eucrisa which was decent but messy (an expensive version of Vaseline). I asked for something else and he offered Elidel. After two days I was so itchy but I managed to give it 7 days and I just can't do it anymore. One week was too much and my patches are redder and angrier... Elidel did NOTHING for my Eczema not a darn thing... no side effects, not better, just itchier and drier like I was using nothing! Had to go back to my regular reliable creams and occasional steroids.”

bostonmia May 21, 2021

For Perioral Dermatitis: “MAGIC for me.... A few weeks back I noticed a red itchy rash, small raised bumps that would burn with any topical I put on it. It spread around my forehead, chin, jaw, cheeks. The bumps were not clogged pores, more itchy, inflamed, blistery, flesh-colored with redness in the area. I was having an allergic reaction to recently switching to fluoride toothpaste (mask-wearing exacerbated the issue). I stopped using the paste immediately and saw some clearing up occur except for in very stubborn areas that kept flaring. My derm was amazing and diagnosed this as PD and prescribed Elidel. Within 4 days of using this 2 x a day, my symptoms had completely cleared. Stay away from the sun and drinks!! Each person is different, depending on what your situation is, if you know your triggers and have eliminated them, this may be an answer to help clear your skin and returning it to calm fast.”

indierockgrrrl · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2020

For Eczema: “no! no! no! do not use Elidel it's worse than using hydrocortisone. It took me over a year for my face to clear up which is where my doctor told me to apply it on. Big mistake. Please note that prolonged use of any topical treatment for eczema such as topical steroids and even immunosuppressants like Elidel can lead to developing red skin syndrome/topical steroid withdrawal. if you feel your eczema is getting worse and worse please look up topical steroid withdrawal!”

sad eczema user · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2018

For Eczema: “After being prescribed Elidel, my skin got much worse. I thought it would get worse and then eventually get better, but I was very wrong. Months later, not only has Elidel caused extreme, extreme, EXTREME skin discolouration, but my eczema has gotten worse, my immune system has weakened, and I am constantly sick. Highly do not recommend. I've had eczema for over half my life, and it has never been worse than it is now, thanks to Elidel.”

Jd · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2020

For Eczema: “I never leave reviews for anything, but knowing someone like myself is coming here to get info I had too. I've been dealing with embarrassing clusters of seb derm/eczema on the side of my nose and perioral areas. I've tried everything for the last 2 years and someone gave me a tube of this and I tried it and, knock on wood its day 3 and my face is almost back to normal. Give this a shot, I haven't had any side effects or than some drying of the areas I've used it.”

LaraDippenaar March 23, 2017

For Eczema: “I've been so interested to find out what others think about Elidel. I've been suffering with eczema all my life. I was recently given Elidel to try but I literally want to rip my skin off after I apply it. It makes my face so hot and painful! Such a pity because I know it's suppose to be great! Anyone else feel this?”

7bonkers7 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 4, 2020

“Have had rosacea for YEARS and have been on meds that affect my hormones for the same amount of time. I started a new med in Nov 2019 and the rosacea became unbearable so I told the Dermy and she said she thought I looked more like I had eczema than rosacea and prescribed me elidel. I am 35 and have never been told by ANY doctor I had eczema so I was shocked at hearing this. She also prescribed me Doxycycline and the first 13-15 days were fantastic, my skin felt smooth, yet still showed redness. All of a sudden after 2 weeks bumps began to form and now nearly 5 weeks after I started the cream my face is absolutely HORRIFYING. I have bumps ALL over my face, they itch like no tomorrow and my face feels tight and irritated. I stopped the cream 6 days ago but there is 0 change in the quality or appearance of the skin. I look 15 years older as well and am heartbroken over what this cream has done to my face. If you DON'T have eczema, DON'T USE THIS CREAM!!!!!!”

Tentative · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 24, 2019

For Eczema: “After having eczema most of my life, it seemed to get worse after having allergy shots. 18 months ago the rash was on my face, neck, shoulders, back, and some on my stomach and legs. Hot sweaty weather was unbearable. I had 4 triamcinolone shots over 14 months. The shots cleared me up, but their good effect became less each time, and I had arm bruising and started to get anxiety episodes. A new doctor prescribed tacrolimus for my face, but I was allergic to it. Elidel is working for now, clearing angry red patches on the sides of my neck and most of the problems areas on my face, including my left eye. My arms also got better even though I only used Pimecrolimus on face and neck. However, I feel tired, sometimes bone tired. Twice in six weeks of use I have had swollen glands and a cold with a fatigue that keeps coming back. I pause the medication to get better. The skin repair is like magic, but I am worried about the side effects. A weak immune system is a big deal.”

Dave · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2020

For Perioral Dermatitis: “After suffering from red, dry skin on and around my nose, cheeks and forehead for 5 years, I visited my GP. He prescribed a mild steroid which had no effect. Eventually I paid to see a private dermatologist. He prescribed me with a moderate steroid cream to use for a week and Elidel cream for 6 weeks. I am now on the 6th week of Elidel. The steroid cream reduced the redness and got rid of the dryness. Around 5 days after coming off the steroid cream, my skin got dry again despite using the elidel. It was nowhere near as bad as before though. So it appears that the Elidel cream is working to keep the redness away and stop much of the dryness from returning. The only side effects I have from it is slightly stingy eyes after putting it on (I keep it away from my eyes) I will provide an update as to how my skin fares when my course of Elidel finishes.”

AG · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2019

For Perioral Dermatitis: “This cream worked so well to clear my Perioral Dermatits. I saw my symptoms reduce after 2 days, and in one week my symptoms were almost all gone. I would recommend this cream for anyone who was trying to get rid of their Perioral Dermatits without taking antibiotics.”

Relieved · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2020

For Eczema: “Since having to wear face masks occasionally when I leave the house I have had contact Dermatitis with a swollen sore red face - about 8 weeks. At times my skin was weeping, it was so swollen. Originally diagnosed as hayfever - I had tried other medications. Within 24 hours of using Elidel - my face started repairing. Now into day 3 it is almost back to normal.”

PrettyBG · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2018

For Eczema: “I had got little bumps (not like acne you can pop) all over my entire face! Yes, around my mouth, forehead, cheeks and the side of my face. It was horrible. I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed elidel. I put it on twice a day and it worked fast! They started clearing up by the third day of usage and by the sixth day they were gone. My face is clearer then before. At first using in the dosage in the morning and going outside the sun kind of irritated my skin and caused my areas of the skin on my face to itch. So I would either put the morning dose on like at 6 or 7 am bc I knew I wouldn’t be leaving the house till 12 and the last amount at night. I recommend don’t put it on skin and go straight into the sun. But I’m so glad my doctor prescribed this it worked for me and had no serious side effects . Oh and you don’t have apply much either!”

Snowflake December 14, 2019

For Perioral Dermatitis: “Had so many issues with dermatitis for months, tried so many different medications and then found this cream Elidel and solved it within a week! As soon as I feel a flare up I use the cream and it prevents it from getting worse, can’t fault!”

Orangesoda · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2019

For Eczema: “I started using Elidel about a week ago the first day I put it on it was unbearably burning and itching the second day it was still stinging but not as bad and now when I use it , it doesn't burn anymore. IT clears me up pretty fast but I still get dry peeling skin at the application site. I’ve noticed since starting I’ve gotten way more tired . Like I sleep for 8 hours and can't get out if bed dead tired.”

Lee May 5, 2019

“Amazing ! Was addicted to topical Elocon and had rash for 2 months around my mouth from steroid cream. Was getting worse and had to apply more steroid creams . Used Elidel and in HOURS it was fading after using it once . I will continue to use it ! It’s like a magic cream ( for me ) . Thank goodness”

Zom · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2021

For Eczema: “Developed dermatitis around my eyes. Flare ups became more and more frequent and lasted longer each time. I didn't like the idea of putting cortisone on my eyelids for prolonged periods so did research on other safer alternatives. I've since switched to Elidel and it has completely cleared up the rash, no more itching, no redness and the damaged skin is finally getting a chance to heal. Used sparingly on my eyelids is enough to keep the dermatitis reappearing. It can dry the skin out but nowhere near as bad as cortisone. Counteract dryness with coconut oil which works better than commercial moisturisers for me. We have medicare in Australia and the script cost me less than $20 Got my life back and building confidence again now my eyes don't look red and puffy. I used to get asked on a regular basis "what's wrong with your eyes? are you high". It was embarrassing since I have a professional job and really had me depressed for almost a year until elidel came along and saved me.”

MrsG · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2018

For Eczema: “My 2yr old has been suffering with eczema on his cheeks since he was 7 months old. It would only appear during winter however it would be extremely red, scabby, he would itch consistently making it bleed. On occasion it would weep and I am assuming it would hurt him as at night he would not sleep. My poor little boy would suffer day after day and nothing I did or try would work. After spending over $600 trying to find a solution the Dr gave us Elidel cream and it worked within 2 days ! I can not describe how amazing this cream worked for us I am so happy my boy is better !”

SB · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 8, 2020

For Eczema: “About five years ago, both my cheeks were covered in weeping, chapped, burning and itchy patches. It was so bad that I could actually wipe my hand across my cheek in the shower and the skin would come off. Steroids helped, but not at all enough. Elidel gave me my face and my confidence back. It took time, but it worked with little side effects-- for me, my nose runs and my sinuses burn. Now, my eczema has come back, and I'm back on the Elidel, and it's working like a charm already. It's outrageously expensive, however. It was 480 dollars with insurance, which I got down to 180 with a coupon. Due to the price, I would recommend exploring more affordable options before resorting to Elidel. You never know what will or won't work for you.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 24, 2017

For Eczema: “My daughter just turned two and has failed every conventional method of treating her eczema. We have seen multiple specialists and after much consideration ( due to the warnings and side effects) we decided to try Elidel. After 3 days she was almost clear. By one week she was free of eczema, severe itching ( which is by far the worst symptom) and redness/ dry skin. We stopped the medication as directed and within one day she was in a FULL flare. We thought perhaps we did not use it long enough? We tried it again daily for another week and here we are again back in a full flare after daily use for two weeks! So discouraging! Has anyone exp. this???”

25 and sensitive · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 21, 2018

For Perioral Dermatitis: “At 25, I’ve been unfortunate enough to suffer from both rosacea, perioral dermatitis, and chronic hives. Elidel is the only medication that has been able to help all three. It does not aggravate my very sensitive and reactive skin either. It works fast. I reach for it as soon as I feel any kind of flare. I was scared at first about using too often because of the black box warning. However, my allergist and derm both confirmed that it’s actually VERY safe. Beware though: Can cause some premature ageing when used on face :/ But besides that, wonderful topical!”

CR · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 17, 2021

For Perioral Dermatitis: “I was using Elidel for a little bit more than 6 weeks. It worked perfectly and my POD (Perioral Dermatitis) was gone. So as recommended, I reduced the use of it. At first once a day, then every second day until I wasn't using it anymore. And it did not take so long I've started suffering from a rebound effect. My skin was withdrawing! So if you really want to know how Elidel works, please focus only on the reports of people who stopped using the cream and tell you about their experiences after they stopped using this medication for a while.”

Anonymous August 10, 2010

For Eczema: “I have been using Elidel for about two and a half years. I use it on my face because apparently it does not thin out the skin the way steroid ointments do. Elidel works great on my eyelids as long as I apply it twice a day. It works fairly well on my cheeks and forehead. I have not experienced any side effects while using Elidel.”

dawna jo June 16, 2017

For Eczema: “A suggestion from my dermatologist when he prescribed this to me. Keep it refrigerator - he said he cuts down on the burning sensation when you first apply it. I did this and so far no problem with burning and the medicine does seem to clear up the flaking and peeling on my eyelids and around eyes.”

Rach · Taken for less than 1 month April 14, 2018

For Perioral Dermatitis: “My 11 year old daughter swims 6 times a week. She’s a state swimmer and everyone told us that it was the chlorine that caused the facial dermatitis but she’s been swimming since she was 2. Maybe hormone change could have been a trigger but it started around her nose, spread to both sides of her chin and then to her eyebrows. Red spots, weeping, itching, crusting. Tried cortisone 1% and many natural creams but no steroids as I read such bad reviews of suppressing the issue and it reappearing worse than ever. A pharmacist suggested Elidel and we asked the doctor immediately. Within 5 days (whilst swimming) the redness has gone and for the first time in 6mths, her skin looks normal again. I’m so impressed! It was subsidised in Oz (Australia) and we paid $40 for a small tube. Worth every cent! I just hope it controls this condition. Time will tell as I don’t want it to be a long term solution.”

Bob · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 8, 2019

“Wow!! I have had severe seborrheic dermatitis for over ten years effecting not only my head, ears, cheeks, beard, chest, back and it was bad for my self esteem, employment and life in general. I have used many things over the years all of which eventually stop working but this stuff is amazing! I have my life back and I am beginning to smile again. Smooth skin, not inflammation and no flakes. Yes there is a kind of flush/heat feeling on the skin the first few days but that stops. Very happy with this product!!!! May I add that I am in the uk so I get free prescriptions so I can’t comment on affordability.”

JaiC March 26, 2015

For Eczema: “I had severe eczema on my face, forehead and my cheeks and eyebrows all my life. It was so scaly, flaky and itchy on a daily basis that due to my constant scratching, I had no eyebrows left as they had fallen out due to the constant scratching and the skin was so damaged that new eyebrows couldn't grow. And my face was always red like I had severe sunburn. I started using using Elidel just over 10 years ago. And after just a few weeks of using Elidel my face actually started to heal. My skin totally changed its texture, tone and colour back to what it should have been originally. There was no more itching or the need and desire to scratch. It has totally eradicated the eczema and has been absolutely life changing.”

Me · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2018

For Atopic Dermatitis: “I have atopic dermatitis and I've had it for my whole life. I was miserable so my doctor prescribed me elidel. It made me worse. It made me peel really bad like huge chunks of skin would fall off of my body. It also dried out my skin. I will never use this again.”