User Reviews for Olmesartan

Also known as: Benicar

Learn more about Olmesartan.

Olmesartan Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 342 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Olmesartan to treat High Blood Pressure

Benicar (olmesartan): "I've been on Benicar HCT 20mg/12.5mg for 3 week now this medicine has some bad side effects I've experienced light headed, dizziness, cough feel like my chest feel tight sometime muscle aches tired all the time..does anybody else experience these side effects..when you tell your doctor what your experience they thinks it's not the medicine we know our bodies.."

Anonymous August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Olmesartan gets my BP down but with downsides - sometimes systolic and diastolic decrease at different rates and my body has difficulty adjusting back to normal. I have experienced all of the following side effects: elevated heart rate, chest pain, vertigo, breathlessness during exercise , light headedness. I am looking for an alternative with less side effects. The best advice I can give is that you should first get yourself a good BP monitor. I got myself an OMRON BP652 which is excellent. I chose a wrist monitor because it is small, portable and easy to use. You will benefit by finding your own optimal dosage (40mg/day was way too much for me) Effectiveness 9/10; Side effects 3/10 Overall 6/10"

Budsy(part2) (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been using Olmesartan for 9 months. I am a 63 year old male with no prior medical history. My lifestyle has always been healthy (intake-wise) but increasingly sedentary and stressful and I think these factors are what exacerbated my BP. Otherwise I was healthy: non-smoker, low alcohol, average weight etc. My wife finally convinced me to get a routine medical check-up (last check-up approx. 5 or 6 years previously) and the result was the doctor discovered high BP ( Systolic 190, Diastolic I can’t remember – but the message was clear – my BP was dangerously high). So the doctor prescribed Olmetec 40mg, once-daily at bed-time - and arranged a follow up appointment for a fortnight later. I went home and immediately ordered a BP monitor"

Budsy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "I took Benicar for 12 years or more and went through the leg cramps etc. but it worked well on my BP. I would get kidney infections occasionally but didn't know why. One day a few years ago I came down with painful gout. My new doctor took me off Benicar right away. She said it contributed to my gout flare ups because it affected my kidneys. I was so angry because I didn't know and hadn't read up on it. Have your kidneys check regularly while taking this med. Now through diet and another BP med I do well with the Gout, however I wish I hadn't taken Benicar so long and had it affect my kidneys. Be careful!"

Kissie March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Side effects, refux, heartburn, rapid weight gain, dizziness, generalised osteoarthritis pain, restless legs and leg pain, insomnia, urinary tract infection, blurred vision, tiredness, silent migraine, nausea, heavy legs and body after taking in evening, aspiration of stomach contents, reflux while asleep scary... Lots of side effects, going to GP to have change of meds, feel terrible with all these side effects.. Blood pressure lowered as a result on a positive note..."

Claire Clarke (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking this med 15 years ago. Have had to take a reflux tablet too since commencing this but unsure if it was related. All in all has kept my Bp in normal range. Just starting to get slight raises now in Bp after 15 years."

Healthy hat (taken for 10 years or more) November 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "I took 20 MG Benicar as an alternative to Lisinopril which caused a cough. With Benicar, the cough went away after a few weeks but a new side effect took its place: I would wake up in the middle of the night with a sore chest and upper back pain. Its a shame because during the day, Benicar had no apparent side effect and kept BP at 128/79."

Chuckiep (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had high Bp for 20 years and controlled it with exercise, karate, but finally went to Dr with buzzing in my ears, my Bp was 260/160. Olmetec brought it down to 120/70 in a few days, after a workout my Bp is 90/60. I've been taking it for a month now and feel so relaxed, like chilled out all the time. But arms and legs feel like lead when working out and I tire real easy but I knew taking Bp meds would do this, but at 260/160, that was too risky. Many comments here I agree, sex drive goes to zero, feeling of lethargy but the drug works. I did try coversyl first and that had absolutely no affect on me."

TonyLloyd (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Came across Olmesartan on this site and impressed by its high rating. Had been on Amlodipine and Ramipril, both caused various side effects including frequent urination, cystitis, itchy scalp and very upsetting thinning my hair to the front top of my head. Also facial flushing, pounding head, sleeping badly with vivid dreaming. Apart from not Iowering my blood pressure, 165/80 I seemed to be getting every side effect and was despairing that this was it for the rest of my life. I spoke with my GP who was unaware of Olmesartan, I think due to the fact that its a more expensive drug, she reluctantly prescribed it for me. Its been a month now my BP averages 115 to 125/60 no side effects apart from slight light headedness. Got my life back !"

Marchmont (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "Had active life style was able to do 40-50 min tread mill workout (Run/Walk) and was able to participate in outdoor soccer. Lost gf, grandmother died , horrible boss in new job in 3 month = 189/125 diagnosed accidentally First 20mg (85% effective) , then 40 mg worked Blood pressure: Normal , weight gain 30 pound added Other impacts Cramps while playing soccer. Enhanced sensation of muscle fatigue (post hitting ball) or muscle in body. Next day feel effects. Stopped running / bike- ride rowing ok Flaky Rash on elbows dime size /now double (Use moisturizer / Nivea aftershave on it works). Weight gain depression 3 hours after taking Meds, lazy Potassium sports drink helped muscle recovery feel good (Doctor say don't take potassium"

blue_s_k (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "I give this medicine a 5 because it does lower your blood pressure but unfortunately the side effects are pretty bad. I was diagnosed with hypertension at 25 and before benicar I never had a dizzy spell in my life. Now dizzy spells are just part of life as well as fatigue and breathing issues. It's not all the time but a few times a week I just feel unwell. I think this is a good medicine for an older person who just needs to get the numbers down but it's terrible for a young active person."

Mike 1348 July 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "I was taking a different pill at first but my doctor decided it wasn't working to lower my pressure enough, so they said we are going to try you on this one. I took one the next day since I had already taken my old pill. The first day the pill did lower my blood pressure with no problems. The second day I took it my pressure was still at a good number. I did not later when I tried to sleep I couldn't. Each time I would fall asleep it was hard for me to breath and a few times that I woke up my heart was beating differently and I had some pain in my chest. I won't be taking this medication anymore. I will lower it the natural way by watching what I eat, walking and with God's help I will be just fine."

God's Child (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "This is the worst medication I have ever taken! It was poison to me! Severe lower back pain so bad had to walk with 2 canes! Thought it was sciatica , had extreme bladder pain, headaches , burning itching feet, severe , constipation , stomach pain so bad I ended up in emergency room! And ended up with upper respitory infection, My primary care took me off this garbage , all symptoms seem to be going away! Just a warning before you take this poison ask questions and read up on it!!!!!"

Bad poison June 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "Beware!! This med worked well to lower bp, but I have been on 40mg for 3 years now this slowly caused problems I didn't catch on to immediately such as severe pain in feet top and bottom like planter fasciitis extremely painful to walk on. Stiffness in legs like bad arthritis pains woke up so stiff. Possibly caused depression weight gain and lack of sex drive. Fatigue. No energy also was diagnosed with under active thyroid. Also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Stopped taking Metformin for 2 weeks now only noticed slight improvement in foot pain. Been off of Benicar for 5 days seeing improvement each day pain in feet going away also stiffness going away I'm 50 y.o female felt like 90 years old body in so much pain."

zapp (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "Works perfectly. No side affects at all."

NoMoreHBP (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "I was taking Benicar 40 mg for a couple of months. I stopped taking it when I had a cold and the BP went up again. Is this normal?"

nancy/germantown MD January 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My blood pressure was controlled at 120/80, but... after 18 months on Benicar, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (not good). So to remedy the UC, I had to take a drug that cost $8000 per year because doctors did not know at the time that Benicar causes UC in some people. I think people should be aware of this very BAD side effect before starting Benicar."

Tracy_T October 16, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "I was suffering from HB pressure for the last two years ...without Medication ....It got really bad in the last two weeks ,that's when my doctor prescribe me Benicar 20 MG...I have been taking it for three days only and I already fell better. Question???? Is it normal for me to feel so relaxed....I'm 61 years old very active and work out 4 or 5 days a week"

Littler Angel August 20, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "I have been taking Diovan HCT for the past 10 years; varying doses as my BP continued to increase with age. Diovan was giving me debilitating migraines and the weight gain was out of control; even though I am a vegetarian and walk about 3 miles a day. Life on Diovan was miserable. Two weeks ago I persuaded my doctor to switch me to Benicar HCT and to start me on the lowest dose. My BP while on Diovan HCT hovered around 190/102 the highest was 200/105 which was becoming rather common lately. So my doctor also prescribed Bystolic. Three hours after taking Benicar HCT, my blood pressure slowly dropped to 133/80. I am not used to "normal" blood pressure, so I felt like I was drunk. Quite a nice feeling from such a small pill...LOL."

Iñaqui of Asturias (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "Have been on this medication for 10 years. Didn't realize that side effects crept up very slowly. I have an entire list of side effects but the highest on my list are extreme fatigue, trouble breathing, gradual worsening depression and just a massive feeling of unwell. Besides Benicar, I only take Zantac for GERD issues (which popped up after I began taking Benicar). I used to be a healthy active man, now I am a sad sick mess. If I only knew what this medication was doing to me way back then..."

Dizzylr July 13, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "It made feel like I was drunk all the time the unsteadiness on my feet blurred vision. It also gave me hives. It made me eat constantly and I gained like 25 pounds during the 2 mths I was on it. My lower legs and ankles swelled up and I couldn't get the swelling to go down and I tried everything About a wk to 2 wks after quitting benicar 300mg the side effects started subsiding my lower legs and ankles took the longest to go down even my eating has gone back to normal but now I have 25 pounds to loose. I hope this helps anyone thinking about taking it. My mother also worked with a women that took it for about a month and it made her pass out at work one day and she quit taking it too. Hope this helps!!!"

hydie2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "I gained 13 pounds rapidly I was only on the medication for less than a month. I also experienced asthma type symptoms. I am not an overweight person and I am very athletic but was diagnosed with HBP. I stopped taking Benicar and my lungs are back to normal and the weight gained stopped. I know it was the medication because the extra weight went away."

Jazmine2000 May 8, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "Noted that many concerned about the price of Benicar. Go on their website and you can get a coupon that will reduce the co-pay on your Benicar to no more than $25 per month assuming you have health insurance."

DocCoop April 26, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "I am taking Benicar HCT 40/25 I have NO sex drive and really bad leg cramps if I stretch, I immediately get a Charlie horse."

Tnygrl64 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "Was previously taking Lisinopril at the highest dosage and still had blood pressure readings of 160/95. Bincar HCT 40/12.5 (Benicar combined with a diuretic called hydrochlorothiazide) is the only drug that has ever gotten my blood pressure fully under control (120/77 at doctor today). I take it with a banana or some orange juice in the morning to ensure my potassium levels don't drop too low. I have no side effects with this pill, other than running to the restroom a bit more during the first couple of days I was taking the medication."

HBPinNashville (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2015