User Reviews for Olmesartan

Also known as: Benicar

Olmesartan Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 336 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Olmesartan to treat High Blood Pressure

Benicar (olmesartan): "It help control my blood pressure but the side effects were terrible leg spasms and cramps."

KimRN (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 11, 2018

"I stayed on 10mg most of the time. For weeks it worked though I felt brain fog throughout the day, then headaches that intensified over time. I woke up every night abruptly. Depression, blurred vision, cognitive problems, vertigo, loss of equilibrium, lethargy, chest pains, anxiety, stomach aches, brain zaps... It was like being at the gates of death. This drug made my life miserable, and the dr that prescribed it just didn't believe me. I thought I was dying. One day I decided to skip a dose. The next day all of the symptoms were gone! It's been now five days since I stopped this deadly poison and feel stronger every day. I also realized the company that makes it is dealing with multiple lawsuits about all the harm its caused many people. This is scary stuff. Needless to say I switched drs and threw away this poison. If you are feeling miserable while taking olmesartan, try skipping one day. You will be surprised. Love to all, and hope we can control bp in more natural and healthy ways."

Miguel (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

Benicar (olmesartan): "I have just turned 66 years old 4/30/18. I've have been taking Benicar HCT for 6 months. Have been very sick with persistent uncontrollable diarrhea (have it right after eating anything), extreme shortness of breath (so bad that I had a lung scan done...was negative), dizziness (had to stand slowly and in place until stabilized), debilitating fatigue (couldn’t hold out to do anything, taking a bath was so tiring ) muscle/joint pain (hard to walk...walked with limp), nausea (had to take antinausea medication frequently), sleeping problems (couldn’t stay awake and sometimes problems falling asleep and staying asleep), weight gain (approximately 20 pounds in 6 months), and bloating (felt full all the time). But no more, I stopped taking it on my own without doctor approval after my research of the side effects. Been off for 2 days and remarkable difference."

Becky (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2018

Benicar (olmesartan): "Been on beta blockers, clonidine, lisinipril over the last year. The beta blockers an I don't get along. I actually had higher bp over time on them. Clonidine is super at reducing pressure, but are intolerable daily. Benicar for me is fantastic. No side effects and keeps pressure in check at 20mg once a day. I demanded the real thing as generic beta blockers caused me problems. I do not trust generic quality. So far, Benicar is the best drug I can imagine for blood pressure patients."

Vike (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2018

"I have been taking Benicar for 12 years and was switched to a generic last January, 2017. I could tell no difference until they switched the generic to Olmesartan in May, 2017. My blood pressure was up 10-15 points and I experienced light headiness to the point of blacking out twice after taking for 10 days. My insurance will not pay for Benicar. I've tried all 5 of the medications my insurance will pay for. My doctor was about to add a third pill to the medication just to control my blood pressure. I'm running out of options."

Ann (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018

"Even at 40 mg daily dosage the drop in the blood pressure is not significant."

Js (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 1, 2018

Benicar (olmesartan): "I have been on Benicar 20/12.5 for 10 years and my blood pressure has been normal 110/65. I had to switch to the generic be cause of insurance reasons and I experienced all kinds of side effects: dizziness, cough, and higher blood pressure. It is not the same."

Reese (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2018

"Side effect of increased skeletal and muscle aches and pain most noticeable within 4 hours of taking medication"

Pat (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 16, 2018

Benicar (olmesartan): "Benicar kept my HBP down to normal for years. Aside from fatigue and subsequent weight gain I felt no ill effects as long as I took it at bedtime. However now that the generic form is being pushed by the pharmacies my HBP is back with a vengence. The systolic number went from years at 123 to 190 in 2 months. The worthless generic substitute is Olmesartan Medoxomil! This experience has totally changed my opinion about generic drugs and where they are made. I reported this to the FDA because I was on the verge of having a stroke because of this generic Benicar."

Jim (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2018

"I have taken both Olmesartan (Benicar) and Losartan (generic Angiotensin II receptor antagonists) to replace earlier ACE Inhibitor drugs, which invariably caused a chronic cough for me. I went off Benicar in 2015 because my insurance designated it as non-preferred and it was extremely expensive, but I have recently discovered that it is now available as a generic. Olmesartan has given me better and more stable control of moderately elevated blood pressure than Losartan."

Oldionus (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 20, 2017

"I’m a medical doctor and I was tested to show high BP. I ignored it for many years till I began to get the occasional headache and with a lot of coffee, I would experience near panic attacks. Then I was put on Olmesartan by the cardiologist at 160/110 and within minutes, my blood pressure in under control at a very low dose as I have reazlised that I am exquisitely sensitive to Olemsartan even at 20mg. So I am taking 10 mg Olmesartan with the initial lightheadedness at every dose administration. After 15 minutes the symptoms pass and I am in control for a day and a half. So I have my portable BP instrument with me OMRON and my BP is 120/85 most times though it can fluctuate. But I dose myself every alternate day and It’s GREAT!"

Psysword (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2017

"Although the Benicar 40 mg has been working well, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the excessive tiredness. Tried taking it at 8:00 last night, slept very well for 7 hours, but still feeling sleepy this morning"

Great reviewer (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Benicar (olmesartan): "I've been on Benicar HCT 20mg/12.5mg for 3 week now this medicine has some bad side effects I've experienced light headed, dizziness, cough feel like my chest feel tight sometime muscle aches tired all the time..does anybody else experience these side effects..when you tell your doctor what your experience they thinks it's not the medicine we know our bodies.."

Anonymous August 13, 2017

"Olmesartan gets my BP down but with downsides - sometimes systolic and diastolic decrease at different rates and my body has difficulty adjusting back to normal. I have experienced all of the following side effects: elevated heart rate, chest pain, vertigo, breathlessness during exercise , light headedness. I am looking for an alternative with less side effects. The best advice I can give is that you should first get yourself a good BP monitor. I got myself an OMRON BP652 which is excellent. I chose a wrist monitor because it is small, portable and easy to use. You will benefit by finding your own optimal dosage (40mg/day was way too much for me) Effectiveness 9/10; Side effects 3/10 Overall 6/10"

Budsy(part2) (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 16, 2017

"I have been using Olmesartan for 9 months. I am a 63 year old male with no prior medical history. My lifestyle has always been healthy (intake-wise) but increasingly sedentary and stressful and I think these factors are what exacerbated my BP. Otherwise I was healthy: non-smoker, low alcohol, average weight etc. My wife finally convinced me to get a routine medical check-up (last check-up approx. 5 or 6 years previously) and the result was the doctor discovered high BP ( Systolic 190, Diastolic I can’t remember – but the message was clear – my BP was dangerously high). So the doctor prescribed Olmetec 40mg, once-daily at bed-time - and arranged a follow up appointment for a fortnight later. I went home and immediately ordered a BP monitor"

Budsy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2017

Benicar (olmesartan): "I took Benicar for 12 years or more and went through the leg cramps etc. but it worked well on my BP. I would get kidney infections occasionally but didn't know why. One day a few years ago I came down with painful gout. My new doctor took me off Benicar right away. She said it contributed to my gout flare ups because it affected my kidneys. I was so angry because I didn't know and hadn't read up on it. Have your kidneys check regularly while taking this med. Now through diet and another BP med I do well with the Gout, however I wish I hadn't taken Benicar so long and had it affect my kidneys. Be careful!"

Kissie March 24, 2017

"Side effects, refux, heartburn, rapid weight gain, dizziness, generalised osteoarthritis pain, restless legs and leg pain, insomnia, urinary tract infection, blurred vision, tiredness, silent migraine, nausea, heavy legs and body after taking in evening, aspiration of stomach contents, reflux while asleep scary... Lots of side effects, going to GP to have change of meds, feel terrible with all these side effects.. Blood pressure lowered as a result on a positive note..."

Claire Clarke (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 14, 2017

"I started taking this med 15 years ago. Have had to take a reflux tablet too since commencing this but unsure if it was related. All in all has kept my Bp in normal range. Just starting to get slight raises now in Bp after 15 years."

Healthy hat (taken for 10 years or more) November 17, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan): "I took 20 MG Benicar as an alternative to Lisinopril which caused a cough. With Benicar, the cough went away after a few weeks but a new side effect took its place: I would wake up in the middle of the night with a sore chest and upper back pain. Its a shame because during the day, Benicar had no apparent side effect and kept BP at 128/79."

Chuckiep (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

"I've had high Bp for 20 years and controlled it with exercise, karate, but finally went to Dr with buzzing in my ears, my Bp was 260/160. Olmetec brought it down to 120/70 in a few days, after a workout my Bp is 90/60. I've been taking it for a month now and feel so relaxed, like chilled out all the time. But arms and legs feel like lead when working out and I tire real easy but I knew taking Bp meds would do this, but at 260/160, that was too risky. Many comments here I agree, sex drive goes to zero, feeling of lethargy but the drug works. I did try coversyl first and that had absolutely no affect on me."

TonyLloyd (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

"Came across Olmesartan on this site and impressed by its high rating. Had been on Amlodipine and Ramipril, both caused various side effects including frequent urination, cystitis, itchy scalp and very upsetting thinning my hair to the front top of my head. Also facial flushing, pounding head, sleeping badly with vivid dreaming. Apart from not Iowering my blood pressure, 165/80 I seemed to be getting every side effect and was despairing that this was it for the rest of my life. I spoke with my GP who was unaware of Olmesartan, I think due to the fact that its a more expensive drug, she reluctantly prescribed it for me. Its been a month now my BP averages 115 to 125/60 no side effects apart from slight light headedness. Got my life back !"

Marchmont (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan): "Had active life style was able to do 40-50 min tread mill workout (Run/Walk) and was able to participate in outdoor soccer. Lost gf, grandmother died , horrible boss in new job in 3 month = 189/125 diagnosed accidentally First 20mg (85% effective) , then 40 mg worked Blood pressure: Normal , weight gain 30 pound added Other impacts Cramps while playing soccer. Enhanced sensation of muscle fatigue (post hitting ball) or muscle in body. Next day feel effects. Stopped running / bike- ride rowing ok Flaky Rash on elbows dime size /now double (Use moisturizer / Nivea aftershave on it works). Weight gain depression 3 hours after taking Meds, lazy Potassium sports drink helped muscle recovery feel good (Doctor say don't take potassium"

blue_s_k (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 31, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan): "I give this medicine a 5 because it does lower your blood pressure but unfortunately the side effects are pretty bad. I was diagnosed with hypertension at 25 and before benicar I never had a dizzy spell in my life. Now dizzy spells are just part of life as well as fatigue and breathing issues. It's not all the time but a few times a week I just feel unwell. I think this is a good medicine for an older person who just needs to get the numbers down but it's terrible for a young active person."

Mike 1348 July 24, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan): "I was taking a different pill at first but my doctor decided it wasn't working to lower my pressure enough, so they said we are going to try you on this one. I took one the next day since I had already taken my old pill. The first day the pill did lower my blood pressure with no problems. The second day I took it my pressure was still at a good number. I did not later when I tried to sleep I couldn't. Each time I would fall asleep it was hard for me to breath and a few times that I woke up my heart was beating differently and I had some pain in my chest. I won't be taking this medication anymore. I will lower it the natural way by watching what I eat, walking and with God's help I will be just fine."

God's Child (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan): "This is the worst medication I have ever taken! It was poison to me! Severe lower back pain so bad had to walk with 2 canes! Thought it was sciatica , had extreme bladder pain, headaches , burning itching feet, severe , constipation , stomach pain so bad I ended up in emergency room! And ended up with upper respitory infection, My primary care took me off this garbage , all symptoms seem to be going away! Just a warning before you take this poison ask questions and read up on it!!!!!"

Bad poison June 24, 2016