User Reviews for Olmesartan

Also known as: Benicar

Learn more about Olmesartan.

Olmesartan Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 347 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Olmesartan to treat High Blood Pressure

Benicar (olmesartan): "I took 20 MG Benicar as an alternative to Lisinopril which caused a cough. With Benicar, the cough went away after a few weeks but a new side effect took its place: I would wake up in the middle of the night with a sore chest and upper back pain. Its a shame because during the day, Benicar had no apparent side effect and kept BP at 128/79."

Chuckiep (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

"I've had high Bp for 20 years and controlled it with exercise, karate, but finally went to Dr with buzzing in my ears, my Bp was 260/160. Olmetec brought it down to 120/70 in a few days, after a workout my Bp is 90/60. I've been taking it for a month now and feel so relaxed, like chilled out all the time. But arms and legs feel like lead when working out and I tire real easy but I knew taking Bp meds would do this, but at 260/160, that was too risky. Many comments here I agree, sex drive goes to zero, feeling of lethargy but the drug works. I did try coversyl first and that had absolutely no affect on me."

TonyLloyd (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

"Came across Olmesartan on this site and impressed by its high rating. Had been on Amlodipine and Ramipril, both caused various side effects including frequent urination, cystitis, itchy scalp and very upsetting thinning my hair to the front top of my head. Also facial flushing, pounding head, sleeping badly with vivid dreaming. Apart from not Iowering my blood pressure, 165/80 I seemed to be getting every side effect and was despairing that this was it for the rest of my life. I spoke with my GP who was unaware of Olmesartan, I think due to the fact that its a more expensive drug, she reluctantly prescribed it for me. Its been a month now my BP averages 115 to 125/60 no side effects apart from slight light headedness. Got my life back !"

Marchmont (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan): "Had active life style was able to do 40-50 min tread mill workout (Run/Walk) and was able to participate in outdoor soccer. Lost gf, grandmother died , horrible boss in new job in 3 month = 189/125 diagnosed accidentally First 20mg (85% effective) , then 40 mg worked Blood pressure: Normal , weight gain 30 pound added Other impacts Cramps while playing soccer. Enhanced sensation of muscle fatigue (post hitting ball) or muscle in body. Next day feel effects. Stopped running / bike- ride rowing ok Flaky Rash on elbows dime size /now double (Use moisturizer / Nivea aftershave on it works). Weight gain depression 3 hours after taking Meds, lazy Potassium sports drink helped muscle recovery feel good (Doctor say don't take potassium"

blue_s_k (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 31, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan): "I give this medicine a 5 because it does lower your blood pressure but unfortunately the side effects are pretty bad. I was diagnosed with hypertension at 25 and before benicar I never had a dizzy spell in my life. Now dizzy spells are just part of life as well as fatigue and breathing issues. It's not all the time but a few times a week I just feel unwell. I think this is a good medicine for an older person who just needs to get the numbers down but it's terrible for a young active person."

Mike 1348 July 24, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan): "I was taking a different pill at first but my doctor decided it wasn't working to lower my pressure enough, so they said we are going to try you on this one. I took one the next day since I had already taken my old pill. The first day the pill did lower my blood pressure with no problems. The second day I took it my pressure was still at a good number. I did not later when I tried to sleep I couldn't. Each time I would fall asleep it was hard for me to breath and a few times that I woke up my heart was beating differently and I had some pain in my chest. I won't be taking this medication anymore. I will lower it the natural way by watching what I eat, walking and with God's help I will be just fine."

God's Child (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan): "This is the worst medication I have ever taken! It was poison to me! Severe lower back pain so bad had to walk with 2 canes! Thought it was sciatica , had extreme bladder pain, headaches , burning itching feet, severe , constipation , stomach pain so bad I ended up in emergency room! And ended up with upper respitory infection, My primary care took me off this garbage , all symptoms seem to be going away! Just a warning before you take this poison ask questions and read up on it!!!!!"

Bad poison June 24, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan): "Beware!! This med worked well to lower bp, but I have been on 40mg for 3 years now this slowly caused problems I didn't catch on to immediately such as severe pain in feet top and bottom like planter fasciitis extremely painful to walk on. Stiffness in legs like bad arthritis pains woke up so stiff. Possibly caused depression weight gain and lack of sex drive. Fatigue. No energy also was diagnosed with under active thyroid. Also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Stopped taking Metformin for 2 weeks now only noticed slight improvement in foot pain. Been off of Benicar for 5 days seeing improvement each day pain in feet going away also stiffness going away I'm 50 y.o female felt like 90 years old body in so much pain."

zapp (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 6, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan): "Works perfectly. No side affects at all."

NoMoreHBP (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 11, 2016

Benicar (olmesartan): "I was taking Benicar 40 mg for a couple of months. I stopped taking it when I had a cold and the BP went up again. Is this normal?"

nancy/germantown MD January 11, 2016

"My blood pressure was controlled at 120/80, but... after 18 months on Benicar, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis (not good). So to remedy the UC, I had to take a drug that cost $8000 per year because doctors did not know at the time that Benicar causes UC in some people. I think people should be aware of this very BAD side effect before starting Benicar."

Tracy_T October 16, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "I was suffering from HB pressure for the last two years ...without Medication ....It got really bad in the last two weeks ,that's when my doctor prescribe me Benicar 20 MG...I have been taking it for three days only and I already fell better. Question???? Is it normal for me to feel so relaxed....I'm 61 years old very active and work out 4 or 5 days a week"

Littler Angel August 20, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "I have been taking Diovan HCT for the past 10 years; varying doses as my BP continued to increase with age. Diovan was giving me debilitating migraines and the weight gain was out of control; even though I am a vegetarian and walk about 3 miles a day. Life on Diovan was miserable. Two weeks ago I persuaded my doctor to switch me to Benicar HCT and to start me on the lowest dose. My BP while on Diovan HCT hovered around 190/102 the highest was 200/105 which was becoming rather common lately. So my doctor also prescribed Bystolic. Three hours after taking Benicar HCT, my blood pressure slowly dropped to 133/80. I am not used to "normal" blood pressure, so I felt like I was drunk. Quite a nice feeling from such a small pill...LOL."

Iñaqui of Asturias (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "Have been on this medication for 10 years. Didn't realize that side effects crept up very slowly. I have an entire list of side effects but the highest on my list are extreme fatigue, trouble breathing, gradual worsening depression and just a massive feeling of unwell. Besides Benicar, I only take Zantac for GERD issues (which popped up after I began taking Benicar). I used to be a healthy active man, now I am a sad sick mess. If I only knew what this medication was doing to me way back then..."

Dizzylr July 13, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "It made feel like I was drunk all the time the unsteadiness on my feet blurred vision. It also gave me hives. It made me eat constantly and I gained like 25 pounds during the 2 mths I was on it. My lower legs and ankles swelled up and I couldn't get the swelling to go down and I tried everything About a wk to 2 wks after quitting benicar 300mg the side effects started subsiding my lower legs and ankles took the longest to go down even my eating has gone back to normal but now I have 25 pounds to loose. I hope this helps anyone thinking about taking it. My mother also worked with a women that took it for about a month and it made her pass out at work one day and she quit taking it too. Hope this helps!!!"

hydie2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "I gained 13 pounds rapidly I was only on the medication for less than a month. I also experienced asthma type symptoms. I am not an overweight person and I am very athletic but was diagnosed with HBP. I stopped taking Benicar and my lungs are back to normal and the weight gained stopped. I know it was the medication because the extra weight went away."

Jazmine2000 May 8, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "Noted that many concerned about the price of Benicar. Go on their website and you can get a coupon that will reduce the co-pay on your Benicar to no more than $25 per month assuming you have health insurance."

DocCoop April 26, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "I am taking Benicar HCT 40/25 I have NO sex drive and really bad leg cramps if I stretch, I immediately get a Charlie horse."

Tnygrl64 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "Was previously taking Lisinopril at the highest dosage and still had blood pressure readings of 160/95. Bincar HCT 40/12.5 (Benicar combined with a diuretic called hydrochlorothiazide) is the only drug that has ever gotten my blood pressure fully under control (120/77 at doctor today). I take it with a banana or some orange juice in the morning to ensure my potassium levels don't drop too low. I have no side effects with this pill, other than running to the restroom a bit more during the first couple of days I was taking the medication."

HBPinNashville (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "Benicar is great. I have been using it for 4-5 yrs now. I had an initial period of being light-headed for a few weeks when I first started the medicine, but after that, no problems whatsoever. Keeps my blood pressure around 115-70. My bottom figure had been around 95. Benicar is more expensive than a lot of the other hypertension medicines, but it is well worth it for me."

todd55 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 13, 2015

Benicar (olmesartan): "Been taking Benicar/HCT for several years now. It is a very effective antihypertensive in this combination. As they say, nothing in life is free. While it does a great job of lowering my blood pressure, I have experienced several bothersome side effects. These include lightheadedness, dizziness and sleepiness. The later may be due to the potent antihypertensive action of the combination. Tried cutting the pill in half, but since it is not scored, really don't know how much medicine I am getting in the split piece."

Controlled but bothered December 6, 2014

Benicar (olmesartan): "Benicar is very effective, but has side effects. It is causing me irritable bowel syndrome and diarrhea. My doctor first put me on Lisinopril, which caused my lungs to feel like they were full of fluid, after having difficulty breathing I stopped that medication. Then the Dr put me on samples of Benicar and it dropped my blood pressure readings to normal and I didn't notice side effects but the insurance wouldn't approve it. So they approved losartan, which seems to have no side effects but barely reduced my blood pressure, it worked but not very well. So they got the insurance to approve Benicar, but after taking it for almost 2 months it has caused me to have irritable bowel syndrome, if I stop taking it, I improve, start taking it it gets worse."

jf2good (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Benicar (olmesartan): "Controls blood pressure."

Sweet gal (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 15, 2014

Benicar (olmesartan): "I have been on Benicar for about a year now and I have to say it has helped my blood pressure. Blood pressure is 120-130 and over 70-75 average. My pressure was not dangerously high but my doctor recommended I go on it since it is in my family history, I am 40."

Ny Man (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 14, 2013

Benicar (olmesartan): "I have been taking Benicar 20mg. for 2 1/2 yrs. Dr. switched me from lisinopril hydrochlorothiazide after prostate surgery. My blood pressure has remained in the 120/75 range the whole time. The only side effects I have noticed is a change in my sex drive and leg cramps. The lack of sex drive could be from the surgery, Or the fact that I am almost 72 years young."

little man August 4, 2013