User Reviews for Systane Ultra to treat Dry Eye Disease

Systane Ultra has an average rating of 1.8 out of 10 from a total of 19 ratings for the treatment of Dry Eye Disease. 5% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 95% reported a negative effect.

Systane Ultra Rating Summary

1.8/10 average rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Dry Eye Disease.

Reviews for Systane Ultra

Lorraine · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2021

“Prescribe for red dry irritated eyes been using as prescribed disappointed with results blurred vision and slight head ache. Found that it had crystallised in the corner of my eye. Not going to use them from here on very expensive normal saline would do.”

Post cataract and lens replace · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2021

“Switched to Systane Ultra, applied drops several times a day. The drops burned occasionally and caused slightly blurred vision for a brief period after application. After 2 weeks began to suddenly present symptoms of vertigo, dizziness and nausea. The first episode lasted 20 hours. After a visit to my cardiologist due to an existing condition it turns out that the vertigo could be a side effect - and “dizziness” is listed in the product literature. Will stop using and switch to another preservative free brand.”

grandma9 · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2020

“I used the previous formula systane with no problems but this new formula burns my eyes. I switched to Genteal and what a relief to my sore eyes. Both made by alcon so I don't know what the problem is but the ultra version hurts”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2018

“Used Systane Ultra after cataract surgery with devastating consequences. Only just made the connection between my red very painful eyes and Systane Ultra. Stopped using it today and guess what..no pain. I have been in agony for weeks with this product.”

fuctupeyes · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2019

“Good lord. How can you market a product to cure dry eyes which does the complete opposite? Isn't that fraud? The makers of this stuff better watch out for a class action lawsuit because this stuff is awful and the company is guilty of false advertising. Have used for only one day and my eyes are getting worse by the minute. They feel dry, sticky and sore. Not the least bit moisturized! Just decided to discontinue.”

Cesar Sydney October 26, 2020

“Bought these today for dry eyes and soon as I put them in I felt the worst eye stinging I have ever felt! Horrible! Boric acid??? I want my money back and a good explanation as to why they hurt my eyes!!”

JAV · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2019

“I have Macular degeneration & dry eye and have used Systane for years. I happened to pick up Systane Ultra the last time. The edge of my eyelids were constantly itchy. Thinking it was something I was allergic to since I had recently moved, I continued to use them. One morning, for whatever reason, I didn’t do my usual eye drop routine. Later that morning I realized I wasn’t rubbing my eyes. My “aha moment”! I didn’t use the Ultra drops again!”

Birdgirl · Taken for less than 1 month November 30, 2019

“I started taking Systane Ultra for dry eye, and my eyes got so red and irritated, I had to quit using it. My vision became very blurry and my eyes both really hurt. I am convinced it was preservatives in them that caused my problem. I will never use these again. I hope my eyes get better soon.”

TexLa · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2018

“Although Systane Ultra helped to relieve my dry eyes after using for several days I began experiencing eye pain which got worse as I continued to use the product. Once I stopped using it the pain went away. Some months later I tried again and after about 3 days the same thing happened again.”

Jk · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2019

“Dr told me to use this 2 times a day for dry eyes every 12 hrs 1st day it seemed to help had a bad headache 2nd and 3rd day by 4th day my right hurt and was so irritated and my eyes were so blurry after reading these reviews. I stopped the Systane. My eyes are still bothering me but I’m 100% sure my eyes are more blurry and irritated then they were. These drops might help some people but I wish I would have never used them”

sjp · Taken for less than 1 month April 1, 2020

“I bought Systane Ultra yesterday due to supposed accolades of doctors. Used it once. Eyes became increasingly red. That night all lights had halos (maybe the viscosity of the fluid?) Eyes burned when I tried to read. I read the reviews to see if any others were having similar side effects. They were. I washed my eyes with a warm baby shampoo solution last night to start ridding my eyes of the residuals. They are better this morning. Unfortunately, the experience and the experience of others have left me skeptical of Alcon products, or at least this one.”

Lau · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2020

“Been using Systane Ultra for 6 days for my dry eyes and I didn’t feel any of the beneficial effects of the drops. It actually made it worse. My eyes got too sticky and after 5 min went dry again. Now I have this burning sensation and decided to see the reviews and realize Systane is the problem. Will stop using it and hope my eyes get better!!”

voodoudo · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

“I started systane ultra on the advise of my opthomologist for dry eye and blurry vision, after cataract and lasik surgery. Noticed that my eyes were really itchy, but I kept using Systane and thought maybe it was just allergies. I stopped using it and sure enough the itchiness stopped. Not using it anymore.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2020

“My eyelashes started to fall out after only two tries, and it caused me a mental breakdown. I couldn’t get out of bed nor sleep afraid that something was wrong with me, but turns out it was the drops all along.”

Annie M · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2019

“This product made my eyes feel sticky as if a glue-like substance had been put in my eye. After each use my eyes started to produce white mucous globs about a hour later.”

bella · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2020

“gave me ''pink eye'' and I WANT MY MONEY BACK”

BlackRaven · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2020

“Systane Ultra burns my eyes and creates a film on the eyes The ONLY thing positive was easy applicator compared to individual applicators”

Andy · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

“Used it one drop in right eye, my eye become extremely itchy and very very red.”

Rosie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2020

“I tried so many brands nothing was working until finally found Systane Ultra. My eyes feel normal again. Thank you so much Alcon! ❤️”

Learn more about Dry Eye Disease

More about Systane Ultra (ocular lubricant ophthalmic)

Other brands