User Reviews for Systane Ultra

Dry Eye Disease
1.8

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Reviews for Systane Ultra

Lorraine · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2021

For Dry Eye Disease: “Prescribe for red dry irritated eyes been using as prescribed disappointed with results blurred vision and slight head ache. Found that it had crystallised in the corner of my eye. Not going to use them from here on very expensive normal saline would do.”

Post cataract and lens replace · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2021

For Dry Eye Disease: “Switched to Systane Ultra, applied drops several times a day. The drops burned occasionally and caused slightly blurred vision for a brief period after application. After 2 weeks began to suddenly present symptoms of vertigo, dizziness and nausea. The first episode lasted 20 hours. After a visit to my cardiologist due to an existing condition it turns out that the vertigo could be a side effect - and “dizziness” is listed in the product literature. Will stop using and switch to another preservative free brand.”

grandma9 · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2020

For Dry Eye Disease: “I used the previous formula systane with no problems but this new formula burns my eyes. I switched to Genteal and what a relief to my sore eyes. Both made by alcon so I don't know what the problem is but the ultra version hurts”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease: “Used Systane Ultra after cataract surgery with devastating consequences. Only just made the connection between my red very painful eyes and Systane Ultra. Stopped using it today and guess what..no pain. I have been in agony for weeks with this product.”

fuctupeyes · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2019

For Dry Eye Disease: “Good lord. How can you market a product to cure dry eyes which does the complete opposite? Isn't that fraud? The makers of this stuff better watch out for a class action lawsuit because this stuff is awful and the company is guilty of false advertising. Have used for only one day and my eyes are getting worse by the minute. They feel dry, sticky and sore. Not the least bit moisturized! Just decided to discontinue.”

Cesar Sydney October 26, 2020

For Dry Eye Disease: “Bought these today for dry eyes and soon as I put them in I felt the worst eye stinging I have ever felt! Horrible! Boric acid??? I want my money back and a good explanation as to why they hurt my eyes!!”

geroguy · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 23, 2018

“I started with regular Systane, but after a few months it was simply not enough to remedy my dry eyes, so I segued over to Ultra, which was great for a number of years. Now I don't know what changed, but the Ultra started leaving a hard crust in my eyelashes and under my eyes on the skin––kinda like sleep-sand mixed with glue. And you can't simply rub it out of your eyes; this stuff has to be picked off piece by piece. I don't know what caused this (it's only been this bad since I moved from Southern to Northern California about a year ago), but if anyone knows of a substitute, I'd be grateful for your input.”

JAV · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2019

For Dry Eye Disease: “I have Macular degeneration & dry eye and have used Systane for years. I happened to pick up Systane Ultra the last time. The edge of my eyelids were constantly itchy. Thinking it was something I was allergic to since I had recently moved, I continued to use them. One morning, for whatever reason, I didn’t do my usual eye drop routine. Later that morning I realized I wasn’t rubbing my eyes. My “aha moment”! I didn’t use the Ultra drops again!”

Birdgirl · Taken for less than 1 month November 30, 2019

For Dry Eye Disease: “I started taking Systane Ultra for dry eye, and my eyes got so red and irritated, I had to quit using it. My vision became very blurry and my eyes both really hurt. I am convinced it was preservatives in them that caused my problem. I will never use these again. I hope my eyes get better soon.”

Did not help me · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2017

“I purchased Systane Ultra by Alcon a couple of days ago. It did not help my dry and red eyes. I made my eyes itch worse than ever, they were really red too. It might have something to do with the preservative used, I don't know for sure. I went back to using Oculac by Alcon instead, it seems it has the same manufacturer but it is cheaper and a little thinner.”

TexLa · Taken for less than 1 month December 31, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease: “Although Systane Ultra helped to relieve my dry eyes after using for several days I began experiencing eye pain which got worse as I continued to use the product. Once I stopped using it the pain went away. Some months later I tried again and after about 3 days the same thing happened again.”

Jk · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2019

For Dry Eye Disease: “Dr told me to use this 2 times a day for dry eyes every 12 hrs 1st day it seemed to help had a bad headache 2nd and 3rd day by 4th day my right hurt and was so irritated and my eyes were so blurry after reading these reviews. I stopped the Systane. My eyes are still bothering me but I’m 100% sure my eyes are more blurry and irritated then they were. These drops might help some people but I wish I would have never used them”

Matty S October 17, 2016

“I was advised to use the Systane Ultra by my optom, but the irritiation it caused and splitting and crusting of the skin around my eyes has been unbearable. The skin around my eyes is itchy and crusty and splitting at the corners. My vision is blurred and worse for using it. It will take a few days to settle down it seems but I wont be using it again!”

CPA Close-Work Type Guy... · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2015

For Eye Redness: “My ophthalmologist recommended Systane for dry eyes, so I tried them out. Though the compound does lubricate reasonably well, it is so viscous that it tends to cause burring for awhile before the eyes start clearing up. Hence, the only time I can use them without being forced to deal with that nuisance effect is before I go to sleep. Any other recommendations?”

Tracy lynn August 6, 2017

“Bought this because the eye Dr recommended it and since I started using it my eye is worse then ever...watering nonstop, puffy, redness, and blurry vision. Today is so bad I can't even see clearly to drive! I work in the medical field and I will be telling everyone I can!!!”

sjp · Taken for less than 1 month April 1, 2020

For Dry Eye Disease: “I bought Systane Ultra yesterday due to supposed accolades of doctors. Used it once. Eyes became increasingly red. That night all lights had halos (maybe the viscosity of the fluid?) Eyes burned when I tried to read. I read the reviews to see if any others were having similar side effects. They were. I washed my eyes with a warm baby shampoo solution last night to start ridding my eyes of the residuals. They are better this morning. Unfortunately, the experience and the experience of others have left me skeptical of Alcon products, or at least this one.”

Pisces19 · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 10, 2016

“Opthomologist stated that my mother's vision was good for her age; she prescribed this medicine for dry eyes (she never complained about her eyes) but l went along with what the Doctor said. After a fews weeks now it's been about two years.. into that time frame and henceforth l noticed the redness and creamy like substance in eye.. I thought it was normal the nurse use to say pink eye.. I said are you sure the tip is not touching her Iris? making her eye red. To this day it still does the same thing l have yet to relay to the Dr. I just thought when she does her eye exam she would notice. So l too now believe there are side effects with use and prolonged use. I will let you know.”

Lau · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2020

For Dry Eye Disease: “Been using Systane Ultra for 6 days for my dry eyes and I didn’t feel any of the beneficial effects of the drops. It actually made it worse. My eyes got too sticky and after 5 min went dry again. Now I have this burning sensation and decided to see the reviews and realize Systane is the problem. Will stop using it and hope my eyes get better!!”

voodoudo · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

For Dry Eye Disease: “I started systane ultra on the advise of my opthomologist for dry eye and blurry vision, after cataract and lasik surgery. Noticed that my eyes were really itchy, but I kept using Systane and thought maybe it was just allergies. I stopped using it and sure enough the itchiness stopped. Not using it anymore.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2020

For Dry Eye Disease: “My eyelashes started to fall out after only two tries, and it caused me a mental breakdown. I couldn’t get out of bed nor sleep afraid that something was wrong with me, but turns out it was the drops all along.”

K R · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 22, 2015

For Eye Redness: “Spent over 2 years trying to find eye drops that I did not have a negative reaction to and at last these drops did the job without pain or redness.”

Annie M · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2019

For Dry Eye Disease: “This product made my eyes feel sticky as if a glue-like substance had been put in my eye. After each use my eyes started to produce white mucous globs about a hour later.”

bella · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2020

For Dry Eye Disease: “gave me ''pink eye'' and I WANT MY MONEY BACK”

BlackRaven · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2020

For Dry Eye Disease: “Systane Ultra burns my eyes and creates a film on the eyes The ONLY thing positive was easy applicator compared to individual applicators”

Andy · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

For Dry Eye Disease: “Used it one drop in right eye, my eye become extremely itchy and very very red.”

Meohmyoh · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2017

“Terrible! Eyes much, much worse after using. Much drier and itchier than before. Would never recommend to anyone. Would select 0 if I could.”

wooastook January 17, 2018

“Recommended by my eye doctor and right now my vision is blurry and my eyes are itchy and watery. The worst time seems to be in the morning. I've tried to use them on and off for the last 2 years.”

Rosie · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2020

For Dry Eye Disease: “I tried so many brands nothing was working until finally found Systane Ultra. My eyes feel normal again. Thank you so much Alcon! ❤️”

More about Systane Ultra (ocular lubricant ophthalmic)

Other brands