User Reviews for Aygestin

Aygestin has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings on Drugs.com. 56% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Endometriosis
7.8
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
5.3
Summary of Aygestin reviews 6.5 9 reviews

Reviews for Aygestin

Me May 8, 2020

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I was put on Norethidrone 5mg up to three times a day. I take it twice a day right now. I've been on it for almost three months now. This is my last option or have a hysterectomy. I'm 32 I am trying to put that off. TBH this works for me. Here are the side effects I have had. I do get night sweats I do get occasional cramping but only at night and yes they are like period cramps but nothing like I was having. I can't even have one glass of any type of alcohol with out getting sick and I cannot skip a dose to drink so thats all off the table. I do get random spotting and it lasts maybe a couple days. It's not too bad. I can not go without eating on this or I get really ill I have gained some weight which birth controls are notorious for doing to women so it a common one. 7. Some times you do get mood swings but any hormone Including regular birth controls can cause this. Its something you just need to work on realizing it happening and then trying to manage the situation”

kldn June 4, 2008

For Endometriosis: “I had 3 surgeries in 3 years for endometriosis. Tried several different birth control pills and lupron. I missed over 80 days school each year for two years and then was home bound for several months a third year due to the chronic pain of endometriosis. After about 6 months on Aygestin and several doses I was back to "normal." Since then I have only had one surgery in 6 years. I have taken the medicine daily for 7 years, without it I don't know where I would be.”

Cat · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2020

For Endometriosis: “I have had excessive bleeding, blood clots and bad cramps since 2016. This medicine Aygestin is my last resort, I've been trying to avoid surgery. This medicine has helped with my symptoms, however, I have experienced some side effects from Aygestin, 1. Allergy symtoms: runny nose and sneezing (daily). 2. Acid reflex (daily). 3. nervousness (occasional). 4. Mood swings, feeling uptight (daily). 5. Feeling hot (daily). 6. Trouble sleeping (occasional). 7. Frequent urge to urinate. 8. Weight gain. Although I had these side effect symptoms it is still better than what I had previously experienced, I am considering surgery. I just want to feel somewhat normal again.”

princesslbc83 November 19, 2009

For Endometriosis: “Having no periods every month is wonderful and all my pain from endometriosis has subsided. I feel wonderful, but did experience quite a bit of weight gain with this medication but in the long run it is worth it.”

MissLeopard83 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2020

For Endometriosis: “The doctor placed me on this when I came off the birth control patch and had magnified symptoms such as excruciating cramps and extended bleeding. While these were both suppressed by the norethindrone, this medicine brought on a whole host of new side effects: hot flashes, night sweats, oily skin and hair, acne, water retention, breast tenderness, and - holy heck - the MOOD SWINGS! I feel like I'm yelling at everyone! I have PMDD and this medicine has made it 10x worse where I cannot stand to be around anyone and vice versa. I decided to tell my doctor about it this week and he wanted to give me the Minivelle Dot to see if that would help, but I felt even worse after wearing it for 5 hours. I decided to go back on Xulane because at least that controls all the symptoms even if I do have spotting for most of the month. I'd rather deal with that than feeling like this!”

Go bucks · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2017

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Started May 8 and two weeks later had full blown period with bad cramping lots of blood clots and heavy bleeding. Prior to taking this medicine I had extremely light spotting once every4 to 6 weeks. According to the FDA I should not have been taking this since I was post menopausal”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “Stopped the bleeding but had dizziness and mood swings. Even one out burst of anger. Also abdominal cramps. But for one week so far 100 times better then the last 2 months of bleeding. I am 58 and use an estrogen patch. Also prometrium but not enough to balance the unopposed estrogen which caused a thickening of the lining.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2018

“Had uterine polyps thought to be from my ovaries producing excess estrogen. MD Rx 5mg daily to thin uterine wall and try to "re-set" my ovaries. Gained 5 lbs in two weeks, very moody and irritable, some hot flashes.”

Jenna C · Taken for less than 1 month August 7, 2021

For Endometriosis: “I was put on this after laparoscopic excision surgery for endo . I have Adenomyosis. I ended up with excruciating cluster headaches which are more painful than migraines. Felt like I had sharp pain in the eye for hours. I was also having fogginess with my vision like it was harder to ready close up. It was bizarre . I really didn't like it.”

Anonymous December 27, 2011

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: “I supposedly was to take this for 30 days to stop spotting that I was having after menopause. Took it for 15 days and got a full blown period with cramps and all!”