User Reviews for Misoprostol

Cervical Ripening 7.5
Summary of Misoprostol reviews 8.2 170 reviews

Reviews for Misoprostol

Jessica June 21, 2020

For Abortion: “Every woman is different but hopes this helps. I was 6 weeks pregnant, nervous and very upset. I took the mifepristone- felt slightly nauseous but felt fine. I took 4 tablets of misoprostol 24 hours later. I took them vaginally- the leaflet says that dissolving them by mouth increases chance of sickness and diarrhoea. I only had slight cramping and light bleeding. I kept hydrated and relaxed on sofa. I took 30mg codeine before taking the misoprostol. I took the next 2 tablets vaginally, 4 hours later with 30mg codeine. I had stronger cramping; like having moderate period pain for a prolonged amount of time. I used a hot water bottle. Bleeding was now heavier but not horrendously so. Didn’t feel nauseous but felt just slightly feverish and shaky. From taking the tablets at 3.30pm, I was having cramps at midnight- for me they were completely bearable. They began to subside. Went to bed at midnight and woke up the next day feeling fine. Hope you are all okay.”

lily June 21, 2020

For Abortion: “Took the first pill in the office, didn’t experience any side effects other than some nausea. 24 hours later I took the last four pills at home. Immediately started bleeding and experienced intense and extremely painful cramping. No position could alleviate the pain. I was sweating profusely and threw up. I then got into the shower and the hot water helped the cramps so much!! That was my lifesaver. When I got out I thought the pain was subsiding but it came back, not as hard as the first hour and a half, but like your WORST period cramps you’ll ever have. They lasted another 3 hours but the ibuprofen helped so much. I also used a back massager on my lower back. If you can suffer through an hour and a half of intense pain and then several hours of some cramping you will get through it. You got this!!!”

Anonymous June 16, 2020

For Abortion: “I definitely worked myself up a lot before going through this experience. Long story short I caught my pregnancy really early to where there was no baby or gestational sac formed yet. So the process was VERY easy for my physically. I had very little cramping for 10 mins after the pills dissolved. And about 30mins to an hour I was bleeding with a lot of clots. As each day goes on the bleeding gets better well for me at least. If you’re thinking about doing this I would recommend! Everyone is different keep that in mind but mind over matter. This was a BIG lesson learned and I will definitely not let myself go through this again. Good luck ladies!”

DovesnDial June 14, 2020

For Abortion: “I've had three medical abortions, all terrible! The first at 20. The second, for a miscarriage. The last, because I had just started clinicals. I threw up every time. I think it had something to do with the consistency of those 4 pills as they start to dissolve and not the actual medication itself (not sure). Please know that unless you have some strong medicine, you'll still feel the pain from the contractions. On the plus side, it'll only be pain that lasts for about 2 to 3 hours tops. I also had diarrhea. I literally had the worst of the worst each time but I honestly couldn't imagine having a surgical abortion because it just seemed a little more aggressive. Regardless of what procedure you go with, the choice is still yours to make. Good luck ladies!!!”

Sunshine · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2020

For Abortion: “Had a one hour period of intense pain (about 3.5 hours after taking the 4 pills) where I was lying on my bathroom floor in excruciating pain due to cramps/contractions and unable to move. That being said, the pain was very short lived and occurred right before the passing of the pregnancy. I had prepared accordingly at the advice of my doctor by taking 800 mg of ibuprofen and Tylenol in advance but it did not take the edge off. I otherwise had minor cramps that felt less painful than a period and did feel fairly weak and tired on the day it occurred. Back to normal the day after.”

Samma June 6, 2020

For Abortion: “I took the first pill around 3:30pm, most people on here would say they felt nothing with the first one but it was the absolute worst part for me. I was extremely nauseas thinking it was just the hot weather/pregnancy. But when I got home to the A/C I still felt horrible. I went to bed feeling horrible, woke up the next morning feeling worse. It made me scared to take the next 4 pills. After forcing myself to throw up I still felt awful. After using a heating pad later in the afternoon helped a lot along with a warm shower down my back. 7:45pm (approx. 28 hrs later) I put the 4 pills in my cheeks for 30 min then washed down with water. Prior to that I took Naproxen and Tylenol 3’s 30 min before. Kept the heating pad on all evening. 1hr after washing the pills down I started bleeding. Passed a few clots in the toilet the size of a lime. It wasn’t as painful as I anticipated. Felt just like a period. Painkillers & heating pad were essential! Good luck ladies.”

Anonymous June 6, 2020

For Abortion: “I am 20 years old and I was 6 weeks and 4 days when I had my ultrasound. I took the mifepristone in the clinic at 11:30am on day 1. I then went home and on day 2, and by 11:30am I had already started bleeding. I then took 800mg of ibuprofen and 10mg compazine at 12pm, next at 12:30pm I took the misoprostol. At about 1:30pm the cramps came on hard and fast. I have to be honest when I say that the onset of the cramps was painful, 30 minutes after the cramps started, I did also throw up. The pain was so intense I decided to get in the shower, and 10 minutes after I had been in the shower the cramps immediately became lighter and very mild. A week later at my follow up appointment everything worked out. If you can pull through 30 minutes of heavy cramping, you will be fine! It was completely worth it, and I hope this helps someone who feels nervous and is having to decide between abortion methods.”

Anon · Taken for less than 1 month June 3, 2020

For Abortion: “Ok these reviews scared the living daylights out of me and this turned out to be very anticlimactic. I am around 6 weeks and took my pills in my cheeks (zofran and ibuprofen 800mg 1 hour prior). No nausea, no vomiting. Felt more sick from the 4 z-pak pills I took last night. Light cramping began within an hour (similar to day 1 period cramps). Passed a clot the width of a golf ball 2 hours in. Slid right out, no pain. Have passed many smaller clots since with day 2 period cramps coming and going. Haven't even soaked a maxi pad, it comes in waves and usually passes when I'm on the toilet. Even went to Home Depot. Walking around helps the cramping! Everyone is different but relax- everything will be okay!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

For Abortion: “Taking the 1st pill was fine 24hrs later took the 2nd pill (vaginally )after reading all these reviews I felt so anxious I was prepared to be in a lot of pain. It was just like having bad period pains for me I know everyone's different. I'd say it took about 1 and half hours before I passed the biggest clot which came out really fast and smaller ones after that and now just like a normal period. Now to wait 3 weeks to take the test hopefully everything has worked . Ladies please don't worry you will get through it .”

Reanna June 2, 2020

For Abortion: “Pain is extremely bad but it is bearable, the guilt and the depression after it is probably harder to deal with”

Kelsey May 31, 2020

For Abortion: “I started Mifepristone at the doc. Next day I felt fine, light period, (I’m apparently the 5% that bleeds from it) BUT I started to feel dizzy, light headed, cramping was 3/4 and bleeding became HEAVY. I had clots and I think already passed the sac in the morning. Called the doc to confirm to still take Misoprostol. Answer was yes (to get everything out). Took them orally. After about 15 min the cramps intensified. I sat on the toilet, crawled to the shower, cramps got to a 8/9, I moaned, got shaky, had cold sweats, and my vision got blurry. I was in solid pain for about 45 min. They prescribed me 800mg ibuprofen and it did close to nothing. Probably the pain is a 5/6 now after about an hour. There’s a few “OW” moments but nothing compared. It sucks, but for 45 min it’s worth it. My advice, take the ibuprofen throughout the day and rotate Tylenol. I’m not bleeding much but I was bleeding through 3/4 pads earlier. You got this and don’t read too much into these reviews!”

Liv · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 29, 2020

“Listen PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Don’t listen to all these horrifying comments. I know most of these are clearly women having honest horrible experiences but EVERY WOMEN IS DIFFERENT!!! I read these comments and literally scared me so much that I cried inserting them Vaginally because I was so scared and mortified! I am 5 weeks pregnant and had a “missed miscarriage” I inserted the pills last night before I went to bed and I had very very light cramping, like I just had a light period. The next morning I woke up bleeding. I was fine all morning no cramping or anything. Around 11am I went to the bathroom and passed 2 grape size clots and now I’m just bleeding... no cramps. I just pray everything has passed and there is no need for any other intervention. I also pray any of you out there going through this have the same outcome I did. Good luck lady’s!”

Jamun · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2020

For Abortion: “Not working”

C May 24, 2020

For Abortion: “I’m 18. I was 7 weeks pregnant. The first dose of misoprostol did nothing but maybe an hour after I threw up & afterwards felt tired and my lower stomach began aching slightly. The next day I took an 800mg ibuprofen & one tablet of promethazine and 30min later I put the 2 pills on each side of my cheek and just laid back.I felt a quick sharp pain in my stomach when it was dissolving.15 min passed after swallowing and my back pains immediately started. They were only slightly worse than when I’m on my period. I laid on a heating pad. The first trip to the bathroom( maybe 20 min after the pills) I saw small droplets of blood, I threw up, and felt as if the side effect of diarrhea was about to kick in. It did in the second trip, and there was also more blood. This time when I went (maybe an hour after) a lot of blood clots came out, and one bigger one did too. This didn’t hurt at all, but I was almost sure it was the pregnancy. The next few bathroom trips were either filled with blood, or just #2. I was really tired afterwards”

Anonymous May 22, 2020

For Abortion: “My scan showed I was 5 weeks and 1 day when I took the pill. Waited 24 hrs took 800 mg of ibuprofen and an anti nausea pill on an empty stomach. I waited an hour and put the 4 pills in my mouth. I was ready for the pain, but this did NOT hurt at all. I took more ibuprofen after 6 hours and didn’t need the Norco the Dr. prescribed. I did it at home and NOBODY KNEW. I cleaned my house and took care of my toddler. This worked a lot better for me than the surgical given that I did it in secret and I felt more in control and that I didn’t like being put under and waking up not pregnant. I was very scared of the reviews, though I know everyone’s pain threshold is different. Maybe it’s because I was so early, I’ve given birth before, or that I’ve had 8 day painful and heavy periods for YEARS. Regardless, it worked. I had heavy bleeding for 2 days then it was like a normal period.If you’re really early along, and KNOW your pain tolerance, I would absolutely recommend this!”

Mira May 19, 2020

For Abortion: “7th week of my pregnancy it turned out that the embryo did not have a heartbeat. I was informed about my options: 1) natural miscarriage, 2) pills, 3) operation. I consulted with 3 different doctors, and they all recommended option the pills which was option 2. I placed 4 pills in my vagina and after 3,4 hours it started. I had diarrhea, I felt really sick, the pain kicked in without any transition. I want take some pain relievers but that was too late, when I swallowed them and I started to vomit immediately. I was pooping and vomiting, it felt like my body wanted to reject everything... the pain was non-stop for an hour and very heavy. It must have been similar to delivering a baby. In the second hour I noticed cycles: 2 mins pain, 2 mins pause, and after 2 hours of agony, the pain started to be less. After total 2.5 hours It was over... and I guess I was lucky... The bood came only after 2,5 hours, a bit more than usual. I bet if I were waiting for nature to solve it, it would have been less painful.”

Lee May 19, 2020

For Abortion: “(VERY honest comment. if you want the truth and no sugar coating, which I personally prefer, read my review) I had a missed miscarriage at 6 weeks - which means my baby was no longer alive. I went online and read some forums saying it wasn’t too bad but when I spoke with friends that have done this, they said to do the Procedure because the pill is a bad experience. I wish I had listened to my friends. I inserted 4 pills at 12pm with bearable pain then another 4 pills inserted at 6pm. At 8pm I started to feel horrible cramps with some period like bleeding (I have heavy periods). Took 2 Tylenol. At 9 I was in excruciating pain. 12:20Am I felt something coming out the size of an orange. I bleed A LOT. My husband works in the medical field and said it looked normal and it’s what would’ve been taken out if I had the procedure. I felt like I was going to faint and laid down with bad pain and fell a sleep until 4am when I woke up soaked. No cramping. Put in new pad and it lasted 4 hrs until I changed. I have a follow up tomorrow.”

Tee · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2020

“I had a pregnancy loss at 10 weeks. Pregnancy would not pass naturally so I had to take misoprostrol to force the tissues out. I Inserted 4 tablets vaginally. Within 2 hours, I had experienced the most SEVERE pains of my life. Tissues came out within 4 hours. These were literally contractions!! I had severe pain right through the night. 3 days later, I am still cramping. The bleeding is manageable tho. I am wondering if the pain is less excruciating if taken orally. Most people who had mild pains took the meds orally and had diarrhea.”

A May 4, 2020

For Abortion: “I knew i was pregnant immediately, in fact the nurse told me it was the earliest time down to the day, that I could ask for an abortion. The first pill did nothing, but the next day when I took the rest, was, and I can not stress this enough, the worst pain of my entire life, I dead seriously screamed, and yelled out in agony. They only gave me ibprofen, so my partner called the emergency room to get something else. I could walk, I was vomiting, I had a horrible fever, and it came in intense waves. The pain lasted from the morning all the way into the late afternoon. Thankfully the next day I was completely fine, I know most woman say it was just mild cramping, but of you have a sensitive cervix, or i guess low pain tolerance (I have 20+ piercings and a ridiculous amount of tattoos so debatable) then i want you to know this is a possibility.”

No name May 4, 2020

For Abortion: “I swore I was going to write my experience so here I am! Took first pill at office felt fine in 24 hours the others I dissolved in my cheeks 15 minutes into them dissolving felt light cramps and about and hour in I was in some pain felt like a period so I laid down heating pad on my back. Then all of a sudden I got hot and threw up and went to bathroom passed a clot the size of a lemon, went back to lay down and by then I was in a lot of pain it didn’t feel like period pain it felt like contractions for the next 3 hours, so I got another heating pad for belly. I made it through and I’m glad I chose the pill but I guess everyone is different because the pain in my belly was 100x worse than a period! Don’t be scared tho because you will survive I promise and good luck to you all! Much love”

Florence May 3, 2020

For Abortion: “I took my first tablet of mifepristone and had no problems at all. 48 hours later I decided it was time to take the second pills the time I had been absolutely dreading. I think the thought of the baby sac coming out scared me because I didn’t know what to expect and I was just terrified. The stomach cramps started about an hour after taking the tablets but it was completely bearable, I have heavy periods anyway and to me it just felt like a heavy period. There was a lot of blood but then again it has genuinely just been like a normal period. I've had no sickness or diarrhoea with the medicine. The worst part was the sore throat after letting the tablets dissolve in my mouth!! Please don’t read the scary reviews and make yourself worse like I did, the absolute worst part for me was the build up to getting my medication and letting my mind run wild! Get a hot water bottle and make yourself comfy,it’s nothing to be afraid of you will be absolutely fine ladies!!”

Destiny May 3, 2020

For Abortion: “7 weeks and 2 days took the 1st pill at the office and had no side effects and then the next 24hrs I was given promethazine for nausea and ibuprofen for pain I also had heating wraps on stand by. Took my pain meds and nausea meds 30mins before and then I did my 4 pills by mouth and swallowed after 30mins and probably about 10mins after I felt mild cramps lighter than my usual period cramps. I automatically got sleepy from the promethazine and felt really relaxed. My cramps were so lite I didn't have to take any more pain meds but I still take ibuprofen to help with the bleeding. My 1st trip to the bathroom I passed a blood clot the size of an half dollar and came back to bed I went on and changed my pad to stay fresh and during me laying down I felt like I had to have a bowel movement and went to the bathroom again and this time I could feel something trying to come out of my vagina so I pushed a little bit and a blood clot was as big as a lemon came out”

Pained May 2, 2020

For Abortion: “I woke up with contractions yes I said it CONTRACTIONS! I hollered all the way to the emergency room in so much pain asking God to forgive me because this has been the worst experience of my life! I aborted due to health complications that was a me or my babies situation and I regret it with my entire soul! I have a seven year old and was so afraid of leaving him here! I know everybody aborts for different reasons but had I known the extreme pain that I’d be faced with I would’ve rather died trying to give birth to my sweet twin babies! I am not trying to scare anyone because trust me before I chose this option I googled a million things pertaining to abortion pill! I wish I had come across someone who would have been open and honest and said that this would be so painful I am scarred for life behind this the pain that Im currently in is maybe a 8 from this morning which was a 10! Oh they prescribed me Morphine but these contractions are still hitting!”

Pained · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

For Abortion: “I took the first pill in the office if planned parenthood. Had mild pressure in my lower stomach for hours. The next day which was 24hrs I put the last four pills in my mouth. Within minutes pain hit me that was worse than cramps . The pain meds barely worked the only thing that saved me was the nausea medicine which put me to sleep. Here it is day 2 and I am having severe cramps because the ibuprofen isn’t working I have never felt contractions but I definitely feel like that’s what I’m having if the pain doesn’t ease up by tomorrow I’m going to the ER! Needless to say my experience has been horrible and I pray whoever is reading this doesn’t experience this at all btw the heating pad worked on yesterday but today it’s a no!”

mel May 1, 2020

For Abortion: “I was super scared to take them at first and I read some of these reviews and really helped so i’m here to share mine. I took 4 orally and dissolved them and then swallowed, immediately I felt my throat very sore and cheeks as well, cramps started right away and after 24 hours I didn’t bleed at all. I waited another day and my doctor recommended I retry it but vaginally, I did that and iIhad the same cramps but this time I bled a little but it was mostly brown. After a day I could tell it was definitely successful, no more nausea, no more tender breast. Unfortunately after another day I developed pelvic inflammatory disease, which was super painful but easily treatable with antibiotics super quickly. So word of advice, just be careful when you take them vaginally because infection is a high risk.”