User Reviews for Misoprostol to treat Cervical Ripening

Also known as: Cytotec

Misoprostol has an average rating of 3.0 out of 10 from a total of 22 ratings for the treatment of Cervical Ripening. 18% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 77% reported a negative effect.

Misoprostol Rating Summary

3.0/10 average rating

Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Cervical Ripening.

Reviews for Misoprostol

Bibi Naima · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2020

“I inserted this drug misoprostol last night prior to a procedure. Doctor had said I would experience very mild cramping. How wrong she was. The cramps woke me at at 1:00 a.m. and I lay down in a fetal position rocking myself for the next 5 hours in extreme pain. Fortunately, not all the drug had dissolved and I was able to remove about one and a quarter of the two pills. I cannot imagine my reaction if both the 2 tablets had dissolved. Apparently, mine is not a typical reaction but boy! I will never take this drug again. It is now almost 18 hours later and I still have some very mild cramps. No bleeding though.”

Nettie · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2021

“So I took the medication 7:30 this morning as I had a scheduled endometrial biopsy and IUD insertion at 10:40. I inserted 2 pills into my vagina and 10 minutes later I felt mild pressure. Within 30 minutes I had full blown horrific cramps. I developed gas and diarrhea. Longest car ride to the dr ever. I felt every bump. The pain continued to intensify even through both procedures and even after I took a muscle relaxer at 8:30. After the procedure I threw up 3 times. Cried all the way home and finally got relief 8-10 hours after first taking the medication with percocet. And from the violent diarrhea I now have a hemorrhoid. I have fibroids and suffer from heavy bleeding and cramping during my cycle. Hoping the iud will work. Be wary of what your guy tells you about this medication. My gut told me not to take it. I should have listened.”

Jo · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2021

“I had to take this medication for a biopsy and ended up in the hospital. I woke up in the middle of the night vomiting. I couldn't stop vomiting. It was horrible. I started to have chills and sweats which is when I called the ambulance being that I live alone. I'm still a little off several days later. Now have to be tested for COVID because I'm wondering if I caught it when I went to the hospital. Horrible experience.”

Ssims · Taken for less than 1 month October 29, 2019

Cytotec (misoprostol): “My Doc RX 2 pills the night before IUD insertion the cytotec to be inserted vaginally. I was terrified and debating on taking it because of reviews and stories I heard. But I laid down for the night and didn’t experience any cramping at all! My uterus was a little tight but that’s it. When I sat on the toilet to use the bathroom in morning, it sounded like I was peeing but it was blood coming out of my vagina. Thin and watery. Not really clots. But that’s about it! Went to appointment and everything went well. Would recommend this is your OB says your cervix is angled or resistant before insertion.”

Meep · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2021

“Took misoprostol before an IUD insertion to soften my cervix since the first try didn't work. Was told that all my doctor's other patients had some nausea at worst and most felt nothing. I was instructed to take it buccally (dissolved in my cheek) a few hours before the procedure. I was in a college class at the time and had to run out to the restroom within 5 to 10 minutes of taking it. At first I was dizzy, then got every symptom on the bottle to the worst extreme. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and the absolute WORST cramps of my entire life. I literally writhed on the bathroom floor at college. This was literally the most painful experience of my entire life to the point where they listed it on my file as an allergy. I got my IUD inserted successfully afterwards and have had it for almost 5 years now.”

Anonymous September 4, 2018

“This is a horrible drug with debilitating side effects. I was prescribed this drug to help dilate my cervix for a procedure. My OBGYN said it would only cause mild cramping. They couldn't have been more wrong! Within 5 minutes after taking it I was in extreme pain, intense cramps like I've never had before, throwing up, diarrhea, shaking all over and more. Worse I have ever been...and it lasted more than 15 hours! Wasn't able to have my procedure done the next morning from being so sick. Don't ever take this drug, its simply not worth it!”

DH · Taken for less than 1 month September 26, 2020

“I've had this twice, vaginally, 20 years apart. First time I was 19, and it was to soften my cervix before a termination of pregnancy. I remember having very painful cramps, like contractions. Then I had it again today (I'm now 40) to soften my cervix before an 'evacuation' surgery (suction), to remove everything after a missed miscarriage. They put 2 tablets high in my vagina and left them in for 5 hours by the time I got to theatre and I had some occasional short cramps, but they weren't bad at all and I was able to breathe through them and didn't need painkillers. So I've had two quite different experiences (in two quite different situations). Good luck, ladies x”

gkk · Taken for less than 1 month May 21, 2019

“I used misoprostol vaginally prior to a uterine biopsy. I've never had children and the doctor warned me that my cervix was very "tight" and that he might not be able to insert the tool through my cervix. He said the misoprostol would help but he was still a little wary. I inserted this vaginally the night prior to the procedure. He was able to complete the procedure with no problem. He called it the "miracle pill" and said it had helped a lot.”

Kickit August 20, 2020

“Unfortunately, I was one of the people with extreme side effects. I do not usually experience much cramping or discomfort when I get my period, but I have had mild cramps before... The cramping I had with this pill was nearly unbearable. I inserted one pill vaginally just before bed, as I was instructed to do for my IUD insertion the next day. I woke up an hour after falling asleep with EXTREME abdominal pain, nausea, and chills so bad I ended up laying in bed with two fleece blankets, a sweater, and my regular comforter. I did bleed as well... Mildly at first, but then clotting, and then back to mild. It has now been approximately 12 hours and although I am still experiencing pain and cramping, it's much more akin to "regular" period cramps at this point. I was supposed to insert a second pill the morning of the procedure, but called my gyno and they advised me not to do so. This pill seems so incredibly unnecessary for an IUD insertion.”

Razen · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2021

“Given 4 pills to insert vaginally for a d and c. They could not perform the operation because I developed a fever from this medication. Had extreme chills and was shaking. Spent next 5 days in bed with abdominal pain and extreme and constant gas. Severe headache. Felt fluish. Continued to have abdominal pain, indigestion and extreme gas for 2 weeks. The next week sprained my back. May have been related to muscle weakness caused by drugs... who knows.”

JuJu · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2020

“I was given misoprostol to widen my cervix for IUD insertion. Swallowed 4 in the morning with food 3 hours before my IUD insertion. My first IUD wasn’t in properly so it was removed. They wanted to complete this insertion guided by ultrasound while using this med. Mild cramping at first and no nausea. After the insertion I cramped quite a bit, but it never reached the discomfort my typical period cramps. It was odd that they would come in regular intervals much like contractions, but that happened after my last insertion too. The weirdest thing is that when I’d burp, it tasted really weird. Almost like chemical fertilizer, but luckily the taste didn’t linger. I had a little bit of diarrhea several hours later. I bled a bit, but I was unable to tell if it was cycle related, related to the IUD, or related to the meds. I didn’t read anything about it before hand and I’m glad I didn’t. I would have psyched myself out badly.”

Ann · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 28, 2020

“My gynecologist gave me 2 pills, 200mcg each. I took one the night before and then one 4 hours before my procedure. This was supposed to help to soften my cervix so they could do a biopsy, since the 1st attempt was not successful. I did have some cramps similar to menstrual cramps. Unfortunately, it did not work and she still was not able to get the sample she needed. My problem is now, I am a month and a half late for my period. I am 45 years old and could be perimenopausal. I have already ruled out that I'm not pregnant. I'm just wondering if the trauma from doing 2 unsuccessful biopsies caused something to happen....”

A · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2021

“Was prescribed 4 to insert 6 hours prior to biopsy. So. Much. Pain. Tried to get them out an hour later but left one in. By the time I got to the gyn, I was barely able to walk, shaking, nauseated, cramps worse than anything I've ever experienced, etc. Gyn still couldn't get through my cervix and prescribed a narcotic to address the pain bc it was that bad. Stay away if you're sensitive.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2021

“By far the worst experience of my life. Inserted 4 pills vaginally. About 15 min afterwards I already felt a little cramping. I thought ok, I guess this is what happens. Little did I know I was about to go through the most horrific pain ever. As the "cramping" intensified, I began to feel cold, I was shivering, teeth chattering and all underneath a blanket. This lasted about over an hour, meanwhile the cramps were becoming unbearable. I went to the bathroom, had streaming diarrhea and a while later began projectile vomiting, barely making it to the bathroom in time. The intensity of the cramping was so severe that I cried out for God, hoping this pain would lessen or end. But it didn't. I called the doctor and they said this happens sometimes and to take the pills out. Unfortunately I was only able to get two out while urinating. The horrific pain continued as I writhed in agony and torture. 4 days later and still battling severe body aches, weakness, pain on my side, targeted cramping, fevers”

VHH · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 12, 2021

“I was prescribed this for an IUD insertion. I took the medication as directed the night before the procedure (inserting it). An hour later I was nauseous and had a stomach ache which lead to the entire night spent in the bathroom throwing up and with diarrhea. I also experienced extreme cramping, my husband was going to drive me to the hospital as the cramping was so bad. I didn't end up going as I was so nauseous and couldn't even get dressed. I had to reschedule my procedure to a later date. I have never been this sick in my whole life, I am a healthy 40 year old.”

A April 16, 2021

“Painful! Inserted four pills, within half an hour, shaking, cramps, nauseated, gas etc Got all four out, partially dissolved and am still in pain two hours later. Will try to go to appointment but this was terrible. Seems some react fine while many others have terrible adverse reactions. Being in the latter camp, I strongly advise you to listen to your body as soon as you insert. I tried for an hour to tough it out. Now wish I had removed immediately.”

Tina · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2021

“Took four, two each at two different times prior to evacuation of uterus for missed miscarriage. First lot came with mild cramps, that were managed from breathing exercises. Hour after taking second lot was a different story. Unbearable cramps, sweating, chills, loss of hearing, dizziness; then made worse from Buprenorphine given to me for pain. Dropped in blood pressure to 75/45 and it was all hands on deck for a bit. Procedure was carried out and feeling much better after, no cramps, normal bleeding. Anaesthetist said it was all from me undergoing “hyperventilation syndrome”. Yea, righto.”

Cytotec July 23, 2021

“My Dr. recommended this prior to an IUD insertion. Within 30 mins of vaginally inserting the 4 pills I was throwing up on the side of the freeway. I had cold sweats, non-stop vomiting, diarrhea AND THE WORST CRAMPING I’ve ever had in my life. I ended up at the ER to get pain medication and an IV as I quickly got dehydrated and couldn’t hold down any liquids. (Heads up - this medication is also used to terminate pregnancies, so the ER staff kept on asking me if I was trying to have an abortion”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2021

“I inserted two 200mg tablets vaginally 8 hrs before surgical hysteroscopy for an endometrial polyp. This turned into one of the most traumatic experiences of my life. Pain started abruptly within 45 minutes, and it was agony. I tried taking pain meds but vomited them up almost immediately and then vomited continuously for 4 hours (mostly dry heaving as I was empty). Badly dehydrated. Severe shivering/chills. When I arrived at the surgical center, I collapsed on the floor of the lobby. It took a LOT of preoperative medication to get my pain/symptoms under control enough to do the surgery, and they had to switch from sedation to general anesthesia. When I woke up the same terrible pain was still there and I was maxed on narcotics before I was stable enough for discharge. Now 12 hours later the pain is manageable but not gone, and I’m incapacitated by pain, meds, exhaustion. The good news is the surgery was a success (a previous attempt w/out failed and created a false passage).”

Dsire26 November 9, 2021

“Horrible. Pain stated within minutes of taking it. Took at 10pm and was unable to sleep. Spend the night feeling sick tossing and turning. Upon arriving to my appointment after 2 attempts to do the procedure the doctor was unable to continue. My cervix was still tight despite the pain. Now I have been schedule for the procedure at a hospital. This was on Thursday night to Friday morning. It is now Monday and my body just feels off. My body aches, breast hurts, and horrible migraine. I just feel weird, as if my body was out through something. Not the best experience.”

Endometrial pol · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2021

“I inserted 2 pills vaginally (400mg total) at midnight before removal of endometrial polyp the next morning. My gynecologist mentioned it was for softening my cervix to make the procedure easier on my body. About 1:20am I woke up from crying and a constant sharp pain (in my cervix). I've never been pregnant before, but I've experienced contractions 3x in my life to pass very large blood clots. This sharp pain was a whole new level - I barely managed to get off my bed to read the prescription notes. I was in so much pain I started hyperventilating, tingling all over my body, and having uncontrollable muscle spasms in my hands. My cousin who is a nurse took me to the ER. Ended up getting morphine which calmed down my pain, and I was able to return home til morning. I was also bleeding. My gynecologist in her 30+ years said she never had a patient have this side effect. So it's rare - she told me to never take it again. It's been 3 weeks now, and I'm still having sharp pains sometimes.”

Angel · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2021

“I took this med for IUD procedure the night before. I had no side effects just a little cramping but then 2 days later I started having heavy bleeding like I am having my period, my period just went off that Monday and I inserted that Thursday night for a procedure Friday morning. I want to know how how long will it stay on? I usually have 2 good days of heavy bleeding, and its the 3rd day. Praying that it shuts off by Thursday.”

for IUD insert · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2018

“Took Misoprostol pre-IUD insert. I had a little bit of cramping but nothing as bad as the horror stories online!”

WNCLady · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2021

“Inserted pill vaginally and 20 min later experienced hot skin from waist down and in lower arms. Took it out! 8 hours later still recovering. Had terrible diarrhea and mild abdominal cramps persist.”