User Reviews for Daytrana

Learn more about Daytrana.

Daytrana Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Daytrana to treat ADHD

"Daytrana made me manic, paranoid, and eventually psychotic. I had no difficulty stopping using it--no cravings. After I was off it I had withdrawal symptoms the likes of which I cannot describe; simply sheer misery and dread, almost total insomnia. It last 1.5 years."

SoulDog Newtrix June 22, 2016

"I have been taking daytrana since 2010 it works great but now I have partial heart failure and pulmonary hypertension. I didn't abuse the patch I took one 30mg patch a day! I'm 35 and now it doesn't work like it use to because of one side effect that it gave me so yes use with caution and don't use it everyday if you don't have to!"

lovedove (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 2, 2016

"I started taking Daytrana a few days ago. It is mostly good but my only problem is my loss in appetite. For the past two days I've really only eaten breakfast and that's when I just put the patch on. I have barely eaten anything besides little spoonfuls of soup and Mac and cheese."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2015

"My daughter has ADHD and has tried every medication out there. Most did nothing but once we tried Daytrana Patches that was exactly what she needed. Her grades improved as well as her concentration and her attitude. I am so thankful that we found the patch. She has used Daytrana for the last eight years. Even though she is 22 now, it is still a very important tool to help her focus in her last year of college. Organization, planning, study habits and everything else that goes out the window with ADHD is a new way of life and much more pleasant all the way around. Daytrana helps my daughter reach her potential and stay focused. She does have some redness from the patch but she would forget to take a pill everyday."

Thankful Mom (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 23, 2015

"My son has has great results with this patch. He is 7, and on the 10 mg. He definitely has loss of appetite during the day, and it's hard to get him to sleep at a reasonable time, but he has had a complete turnaround at school. Since I know all ADHD meds have the same side effects I stated, my only real complaint is how it irritates his skin. He has taken it off several times due to itchiness (which does seem to go away after a couple hours). As for getting the backing off, I "warm it" between my palms for a minute or two, and peel from the pointed part of the backing. Works perfectly."

AMA76 September 14, 2015

"Im actually an adult on the patch. I am 28. female. I've been trying to find the right stimulant with bearable side effects since I was in high school. Please excuse the lengthy review I just know the search can be tough and long. I have Depression, ADD, GA & SA, and OCD skin(cuticle) picking tendencies. It's been very hard finding a stimulant that didn't worsen my anxiety related symptoms. I could tolerate 5mg adderrall XR but my body burned through both the XR and IR in about 3 hours. Then I would crash for the rest of the day (depressed, irritable, anxious). Vyvanse gave me zero motivation and made me calm but in a weird way. For example, I didn't care or worry about anything... I didn't even want to talk to people. I would just want to sit there alone and stare at a wall or something. It was nice to be that relax but too weird. But the real problem was the crash! It was the most extreme of all the stimulants I've tried by far! I took it only twice and threw it out. I almost didn't try Daytrana patch because Ritalin was actually the first stimulant I tried, which was over 10 years ago and I remember similar symptoms to that I had on adderrall. I ended up giving it a try with the logic that it might be smoother since its was for children and I was also desperate since I'm working and study for the GRE. I'm so happy I gave Daytrana a shot!! I'm telling you if you suffer from anxiety, can't tolerate the crashes, and metabolize the other stimulant too fast you have got to try this one!! I've only been on it for a week but I can't believe it! I leave it in for the whole 9 hours and I never crash. In comparison to Adderall is still the best stimulant for getting you motivated, I have to motivate myself a little but unlike adderall I can stay focused ALL day with Daytrana. Im also less likely to do something "stimulanty" like start reorganizing my closet for no reason but I do get the necessary cleaning, errands, bills etc done effortlessly. And the best part is that it doubles as an anti-depressant since, what I assume is the increased dopamine stays in my system pretty much all day and night. The "happiness" doesn't feel like a high it feels more like an absence of depression. I don't have anymore of the repetitive negative thoughts. The constant emotions of hopelessness, guilt, embarrassment, you name it, just aren't there anymore. There is still a mild degree of sadness I carry with me but I have major depression so I feel like it's only normal and I can handle that :)!! As far as the negative side effects: Like all the stimulants I've been on I still have the insomnia, loss of appetite, and increase urge to pick at my cuticles at night when it's wearing off. But there is not a "crash". no evenings being completely drained of energy, fits of irritation, major anxiety or depression. Also, the patch is applied to your hip and I'm experiencing some muscle tension in my legs which I think might be slowly subsiding. Im drinking a lot of water and taking vitamins in precaution of cramps. Advice on taking the patch off- It's easier for me to take it off when it's wet. I do it in the shower/bath or rub it off with a warm wash cloth. Good luck!"

Oaktree1987 September 8, 2015

"LOVE the way this medicine work. We could just leave it on a little longer to get through homework time! BUT the irritation was just too much for her skin. She had raised whelps/sores for several weeks after discontinuing the meds."

cafekete (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2015

"I started using the patch when I was about 9 and using it now. I'm 13. I was in the lowest classes and now I'm in the highest class in my grade. I used to have to sit in my room for 4 1/2 hours until I finished my homework. It got so bad sometimes that I didn't even finish my homework because It was getting too late. I couldn't hangout with friends. Now it only takes me about 30 mins to an hour to finish. This patch helps me throughout the day. I only use it on weekdays when I'm at school because I only use it when I have to finish a task. But during school I find my stomach rumbling in classes. I ate breakfast every morning, and tried to eat lunch but I loose my appetite. I find myself sweating during class also from not eating in the day."

Anonymous December 2, 2014

"This is my Wonder medicine for my 11 yr old Son. He hates taking the Pill's and they were making him sick so we went to Dr in Aug 2014 & I asked him if we could try the patches he said sure and I Love this Patch. Thank's for making this. And I did not know about putting the patches in the fridge because I do have a hard time peeling them so I'm going to give that a try."

northpole November 11, 2014

"My son has been on this patch for a year. We started at 10mg, and are moving to 15 mg now. It has (by far) been the best ADHD medicine we've tried. We have had pretty minimal skin irritation issues overall. Sometimes the backing of the patch is hard to peel, but 15 seconds in the freezer solves that problem. By far our favorite ADHD medicine."

Sberi (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 11, 2014

"My 7 year old son has been on the 15mg patch going on his 4th month now and it has been a God send. He went from a C and D student at the start of the school year to an almost straight A student at the end. I have found that if I use adhesive remover and out a little lotion on the site after removal it manages the irritation. It definitely affects his appetite but no more so than any of the other medications that he has been on. Night and Day difference for us."

Bowzer73 June 3, 2014

"This Patch is amazing. For those of you having trouble removing the backing, just put patch in fridge for a while, or over night. We just keep the box in the fridge. Peels off nice and easy. And the cold patch helps with the itching."

reg428 May 22, 2014

"My son was diagnosed with ADHD at 5. My friends, society along with my own guilt made me feel like a horrible mom for considering meds. Kind of was horrible for my son he hated school and cried to not go. 1st was a constant struggle and when we started trying different medicines. They all turned him in the "zombie" you hear about. I stopped trying medicines and thought we would just have to deal with 3-4 hours of homework a night. In 2nd grade we heard about Daytrana. My son made a huge improvement in school. His teacher (who is wonderful) was amazed by his focus in class. My son went from being an intelligent child who could not focus to an exceptional student. The red marks caused by the patch are hard to see as a parent, but my sons self worth out ways them."

Martine81 May 16, 2014

"I call this my miracle. It saved my sanity. We weren't having success with anything! Wow! Love this patch! Young girl went from running around the house getting into one thing after another, to finally being able to sit down and play video games. Side effects-she could just peel it off! Itching where applied, seems to subside the longer you wear it. Gets red, irritated in that spot. Alternate hips. NO APPETITE until medicine wore off. I served breakfast at 4am to get 3 meals a day. Dinner 1 1/2 - 2 hours after removing patch and lunch if you want to call it that around 8am. It was worth it to me to save my sanity. Patch does take 2 hrs to kick in. Lasts well over an hour after you remove it. Left on longer than recommended on many occasions."

PJ4793 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2014

"My son is 7 years old and has been diagnosed with ADHD and is using Daytrana 10mg which has been the BEST so far! After applying the patch, it takes a couple of hours for the medicine to start working. I noticed that if I place the patch on his hip, but closer to his butt it is more effective. (my doctor said that other parents had noticed that the placement of the patch makes a difference). At school he is able to control his impulses, focus and most importantly still be a 7 year old boy (not a zombie). The only downfalls to this medication is that he does not have an appetite (most of these meds cause this) & the area where you place the patch can get red and itchy. I rotate where I place the patch and use baby oil to remove the adhesive"

ADHD MOM March 16, 2014

"We just picked up the Daytrana patch tonight and plan to try it in the morning. My son is 15 and has been on ADD medications since he was 6. Metidate was awful -- caused anger and dark moods. We switched to Focalin XR twice a day (which I highly recommend for those of you who are still searching for the right medication) and has been absolutely wonderful for the past 6 or 7 years. It made him feel loving and gentle, which is his nature. Just recently, he seemed to outgrow his dosage, and through tests of different dosages, we have reached the max he should take, which, by the way, is usually not what the insurance company limits are, so find a good ADD doctor who knows his stuff. Keep at it until you find the right med and dosage."

karinos October 23, 2013

"My son almost 6 started on Daytrana right around 5 yrs old. We went from half a 10mg patch to a whole 10mg patch. Really it's whatever we need that day. It does work. Positives for us: concentration improved, attitude solid. Negatives: if we leave the patch on from 8-6, we are up until 2 or 3 am if we do not give melatonin to help sleep. Appetite severely decreases on medicine, days without medicine he's eating like a horse. Overall the medicine has more positives than negatives, I just would like more understanding on how as a parent to be able to handle all this."

4Momof4kids (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2013

"This medicine has me really confused. My 7 yr old has ADHD and usually has really good control on meds. Concerta always worked really well, but we couldn't go any higher on the dose. Everything else wares off before he is home from school . We tried the Daytrana to see if he would have some control through the bus ride home. The confusing part is, it's helping a lot with the hyperactivity, but not at all with focus. He's actually always done well in school, but now his teacher says he just wanders around the classroom. Any one else ever had this experience?"

luvspnk February 12, 2013

"We had tried the patch when our son was 5 1/2 yrs old. We have tried many stimulant medications which do not last the amount of time it states it should so we tried Daytrana. This was not for us. My son was out of control, increased aggression, impulsivity, and couldn't sit still to save his life. My son does deal with other mental Health disorders such as SPD, ODD, ADHD, GAD, and a mood disorder. We are currently on Focalin XR 15mg in the morning and 10Mg XR about 12pm. Focalin has been the best we found but still I think causes his other diagnosis to shine through a bit more."

Alindsay330 January 20, 2013

"My son was diagnosed with ADHD. He was having problems at school such as focusing, following directions, sitting still.. etc. We decided to use the Daytrana patch since he isn't able to take pills. This so far is working wonders. He is on his first week and is already showing signs of improvement! I recommend this product."

Anonymous October 5, 2012

"My husband and I didn't believe in ADD. My child's doctor said that he would only medicate if my child's grades were suffering. We postponed medication until my son was in the 5th grade and grades started plummeting. He is not hyper or misbehaved but has difficulty focusing, completing tasks and becoming overwhelmed. We tried other medicines, but Daytrana was for us. No fuss to take medicines. No sudden drop in mood. No depression. The only drawback was itchy skin, but he overcame this and difficulty removing the backing, but overtime this becomes easier. I would recommend this. Do not give up on your child. ADD is real!"

Anonymous April 3, 2012

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My 18 year old daughter has been on Daytrana patches for more than 5 years. She needs a 40 mg dose, and 30 mg is the strongest patch. Benefits are MANY. Though 9 hours is the recommended time for wearing the patch, my daughter routinely wears them for 14 hours daily to get school work and homework done. She wears them 16 or more hours if she has a date, or there is a school function that lasts late e.g. PROM. This has allowed her to avoid those horrible "impulse control" issues most ADD kids experience. Daytrana has allowed her to avoid the highs and lows that occur with other medications. We love Daytrana."

Bobjo April 1, 2012

"My 5 year old son has severe ADHD and started on this patch 4 months ago. Although it really does what it says, it leaves him with severe rashes, and muscle tenderness. I am looking into alternatives now."

Anonymous January 3, 2012

"I'm eighteen and I've had ADD all my life, though I'm only now trying medication for it. Daytrana helped me a little, but my dosage was too low. I started out on the 10mg patch. The biggest issue with it was weight loss. Now, let me begin by saying that before the appointment where I was diagnosed, I had just eaten lunch. Shortly after starting Daytrana, I caught a cold that lasted about two weeks, recovered, then caught another two-week cold. I did notice that I was less hungry while using the patch. Didn't eat breakfast before my checkup, My weight went from 120 to 114 lbs. Doctor took me off Daytrana and switched me to Stratera, which has been a nightmare. While on Daytrana, I felt more awake, but not necessarily more focused."

Anonymous November 27, 2011

"I am 13 years old and was diagnosed when I was in kindergarten. I started taking medicine when I was in 1st grade. I started to use Daytrana when I was in 4th grade. Only my close friends and family knew I had ADHD. I was so embarrassed and was made fun of all the time. I was on 15mg but for the past couple of months I switched to 10mg. It works great and I recommend it to others. The patch you just stick on your hip and take it off after 9 hours. Sometimes I forget to take it off and can't sleep at all and if I don't take it I will bounce off the walls and I will eat so much that I either throw up or be very sick. When I do take it I feel like a normal person. It is hard to get the backing off sometimes but if you are careful it comes off."

sarah c July 2, 2011