User Reviews for Glucophage to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Glucophage Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 163 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Glucophage

Powpowross · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 2, 2019

"I was taking Glucopgage for a number of years and the only side effects was diarrhea at least 1 to 2 times daily. It kept my blood sugar in the low 100’s. I finally lost about 60lbs and I no longer have diabetes even though my grandmother and mother had type 2 on insulin and my brother now has it."

claudi · Taken for 10 years or more February 27, 2018

"was diagnosed with type 2 diaberes in 2005. I tried metformin and it made me deathly ill. I practically lived in the bathroom for the month I tried it the first time. After that I checked the internet and found 2 other manufacturers of metformin. Both caused same reaction. The Doctor then tried the "real" brand Glucophage. I haven't had any problems since then. I am able to control my sugar . However I haven't been able to get the "real" Glucophage in over 3 months. It is on long term back order and not expected for3or 4 more months. I will die if necessary before ever going back to the metformin."

TerieV · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 15, 2017

"I have side effects from most brands of genetic metformin because they use cheap fillers. Real Glucophage is my only option. Why is it so expensive? My insurance won't cover it. But I have no side effects. Guess it's worth it."

Cherry mohammed August 23, 2017

"Excellent control but caused me lactic acidosis"

Philip Lerner · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 17, 2017

"Mildly effective with controlling blood glucose. Side effect of extreme fecal incontinence was unacceptable."

RalfL October 29, 2016

"Intestinal effects were greatly reduced by substituting name-brand Glucophage XR for generic metformin (various manufacturers), and a lower dose of Glucophage was sufficient to achieve a similar BG effect (daily dose reduced from 2000mg to 1500)."

Magret b October 19, 2016

"I have stoped taking glucophage 3 mounths ago and i have gained 3kg please help"

sandyjz April 7, 2016

"diarrhea so bad I lost control at work 3 times and had to go home. never again I don't care if I die from diabetes."

Cothrom · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 6, 2015

"Seems diarrhea is main culprit with this med. Been taking it 20 months so far, as far as control of diabetes does not seem to have much affect on blood sugar"

Littleton · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 27, 2015

"Metformin (Glucophage generic) works very well without any side effects (maybe a small bit of diarrhea and gas - but that helps getting rid of my constipation). I am NOT overweight. In great shape with running, playing tennis and golf, etc. Age 65. Never was overweight. Got diabetes from drinking way too much Coca Cola and eating too much sweets (donuts, cake, candies, etc.). Always burned off the sugar so never put on weight. Never knew sugar was a poison that affects metabolism. Started taking metformin (3 X 800 daily dosage two years ago. With diet changes, brought down my blood glucose level from 358 to 130, and A1C from 15.9 to 6.7. Not out of the woods yet, but huge improvement and metformin is the only drug that works for me"

yieyie17 October 5, 2014

"Glucophage XR 500mg or 1000mg Tabs (I either take 2~500mg Tabs in the Morning and 2~500mg Tabs with Dinner/Supper, or I take 1~1000mg Tab in the Morning and 1~1000mg Tab with Dinner/Supper.) I Totally Love this medicine. It's been one of the best medicines that I have ever taken to help keep my BLOOD SUGARS UNDER CONTROL! "UNLIKE THE GENERIC METFORMIN", THAT REALLY MESSED ME UP, AND WAS MY WORST NIGHTMARE! NOBODY WOOD LISTEN TO ME! MY DOCTOR'S, MY PHARMACIST'S, THE EMERGENCY ROOM, MY THERAPIST, MY PSYCHIATRIST, AND ESPECIALLY MEDICAID, AND MEDICARE PART D! SO AGAINST MEDICAL ADVICE I QUIT TAKING GENERIC "METFORMIN", AND A YEAR AND HALF LATER THEY PUT ME BACK ON GLUCOPHAGE XR! LIFE BECAME WONDERFUL AGAIN!"

RobertLease April 16, 2014

"Severe Diarrhea, unable to do my job because of it."

J. Copeland July 26, 2013

"I've had Type-2 Diabetes for a few years.. and have gained over 100lbs. I have been on the Metformin for a month and have lost 28lbs. Glucophage is amazing but I will admit at first I was very sick. After a about a week I started to feel normal again."

larry555 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 15, 2013

"Does not keep the sugar from spiking"

Anonymous December 7, 2012

"Gave me diarrhea."

Anonymous March 28, 2012

"I had diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, headaches and muscle pain. It did not control my blood sugar either. I never want to feel like that again. But on the other hand my husband is able to take it with no side effects and it keeps his blood sugar between 90 and 130."

Anonymous March 20, 2012

"Made me very sick, headache, constant diarrhea, very bad head and chest cold, lower right leg started to swell."

Anonymous February 6, 2012

"I've been taking this medicine for a month today. I have seen a significant and favorable drop in my blood sugar however, I've never felt sicker in my entire life. Everyday since starting this I've been nauseous even to the point of vomiting. I find that I now have motion sickness and since I take public transport, I sometimes have to get off the bus to vomit. I always have diarrhea. I sometimes have fever symptoms, chills along with a feeling of being very cold, and terrible headaches. I've also become quite anxious, restless, and moody, which may be a side effect of these side effects. I've lost 12lbs and I find myself eating less which is awesome but I'm ALWAYS nauseous, which is why I have no appetite."

Anonymous January 27, 2012

"It works very well and there are few side effects. My blood sugar will get low but it does not drop like insulin can do. I watch what I eat and maintain exercise and my numbers are always good. I recommend this medication."

Anonymous March 5, 2011

"After a few weeks of taking this my blood sugars came right down and have stayed low."

nancybuttner January 17, 2011

"This medicine helped me control my eating and to lose weight and bring my sugar down without dropping it to low. I was on another medication and it would drop my sugar too low and I was always having to take the sugar tablets to bring it back up. At first it upset my stomach but after a few weeks that was gone. It has worked very well for my husband also and has kept both of our sugars at a normal rate."

Anonymous March 23, 2010

"I took this medicine for a very short while. It began with serious nausea followed by vomiting a couple of weeks later. I could not take this medicine."

Anonymous March 3, 2010

"My husband and I are both on this medicine. He takes 1000 mg morning and evening. I take the max at 850 mg each meal. We have to keep a packet of desiccant in the bottle to absorb the horrible fishy smell. We both have the side effect, even years later, of bloating, gas, and flatulence. We call this pill our "gas" medication. But it lowers our blood sugar with few other side effects. If we're out, we take it on our return home if possible to prevent inflicting our flatulence on others."

Anonymous October 12, 2009

"I was on this medication for about a year and I had horrible side effects. "

Anonymous August 12, 2009

"My doctor recommend glucophage 500mg twice a day, with breakfast and dinner. With breakfast also take 5mg Glocotrol. It made my sugar level /- 100 while previously was as high as 400. "