User Reviews for Loperamide to treat Diarrhea, Chronic

Also known as: Imodium, Anti-Diarrheal, Imodium A-D, Kaopectate II, Neo-Diaral, Diar-Aid Diamode Up and Up Anti-Diarrheal Solution A-D Anti-Diarrheal

Loperamide Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Diarrhea, Chronic.

Reviews for Loperamide

nt77 May 13, 2020

Imodium A-D (loperamide): “I have crohns and so have chronic diarrhea I used to be able to afford this med. Now, it is impossible. As for packaging... it is always important to make the product so hard to get out of the packaging I end up tossing it anyway because so many pills have been damaged just trying to get them out of the packaging. So, I spend 20 minutes cutting them out and putting them into an old bottle to make them easier to access. So tired of being treated like crud because I need the meds others abuse. On top of that I can't buy online anymore. I am not able to get out most days due to my condition. I used to be able to have it sent to the house, now even that is impossible.”

Capn John · Taken for 10 years or more April 27, 2020

“I have had chronic diarrhea for over ten years, reasonably controlled by two 2mg tablets. Have tried many things to control it- different meds (forget what, but they did not work). Tried probiotics but they made it worse. Took myself off loperamide- nothing happened for 8 days, then it came back big-time. Sought medical help. I have a wonderful doctor but this seems to be the kind of thing that one has to mostly work out by oneself. Am reading the book "The Happy Gut". Helping but it's hard to implement their approach entirely. Have learned that breads with white flower are a problem. Scrambled eggs, unless cooked quite hard, are bad. Oranges, which I love, are not good. Lithuanian rye bread is good. Still learning. Have resisted upping the dose to three/day but will also try that next.”

Eleane August 8, 2019

Imodium (loperamide): “Me and my sister both have on going diarrhea. Every. Single. Day. 1-2 times a day for me but more for her. All females in our family have it. It’s our family curse. But we took 2 of these pills for only TWO days and we didn’t have any intestinal activity for the next FIVE days. From taking TWO tablets for TWO days (so we took ONLY 4 mg each day, once a day, for only two days) So we took that tiny, small amount and didn’t have even a slight cramp, not even a bubble in our intestine, nothing. for five days. This never ever happens and we both were somewhat constipated still even on day 5. Idk how anyone is saying it didn’t work. It definitely worked for us at least.”

Sinaj · Taken for 10 years or more August 6, 2019

Anti-Diarrheal (loperamide): “Effective, but ANTICHOLINERGIC....linked to dementia ”

siswollan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 16, 2019

“I have Crohn's disease, and I take loperamide during flares so I don't have to be on the toilet all the time. It doesn't get rid of the other stuff like cramps, nausea, weight loss, or fatigue, but it does something for my diarrhea. It made my flares easier to manage at school and work, as I don't have to be racing to the bathroom all the time, then having to leave early as a result of my sickness. However, I had to rate it less than a 10 as it doesn't always work. The problem is I have malabsorption due to small intestinal inflammation, so sometimes the medicine might not work. Roughage will make it not work either. So, I can't just eat whatever I want while taking this. I still have to eat a bland low-roughage/residue diet.”

Oblong · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2018

Imodium (loperamide): “I have IBS and had a bad flare up. 4 weeks of tests and constant diarrhea, they finally confirmed there was no infection so allowed me to take Immodium. I chose the plus comfort as I also have stomach pains. Followed instructions and took 2, I don't mean to be crude, but I am elated to say that the next day I managed a normal BM for the first time in a month! Not noticed any help with the stomach pains/bloating but has definitely helped the flare up!”

John W the Brit January 15, 2018

Imodium (loperamide): “I felt better about 3 hours after taking 2 tablets. Still have a slight problem though but will be taking one more twice a day and I expect to feel much better then.”

LM921 · Taken for 10 years or more November 9, 2017

“I have IBS but no health insurance and can't afford expensive treatments and prescription medications. My wonderful doctor recommended a "maintenance" regimen of 2 loperamide daily to control the chronic diarrhea that was greatly affecting my life. Between this and watching my diet, sticking mainly to non-dairy, sugar free and gluten free foods, I've been able to live a mostly normal life with very few flare ups. I highly recommend.”

Nessaa · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 7, 2017

Imodium (loperamide): “I have IBS plus I'm lactose intolerant and have struggled with this for 5 years now so far and for 3 years I was unable to enjoy a meal because as soon as I ate, I was in the bathroom. When I take imodium now for the past 2 years, I can actually eat meals and it wont bother my stomach. I feel normal and go to the bathroom normally but if I miss a day and don't take the pills, I am back to going to the bathroom after every meal. Imodium has really helped me. Especially when it triggers in the morning, so it helps me to be able to go to work at 5am. There are somedays I didn't have pills and could not go into work because I could not stop using the bathroom. I love imodium!”

SurBig January 16, 2017

Imodium (loperamide): “I had 18" of my large intestines removed a year ago. I still had Diarrhea bad. I took Imodium and was so happy I feel normal. Something I can't drink is Beer. )-: That is ok with me. I only take it every other day. I am a happy camper.”

boditty October 6, 2016

Imodium A-D (loperamide): “I have been taking a 2 mg tablet every morning for 14 years!! I have rare dizziness. also my blood pressure has lowered somewhat. from 120/80 to 100/60.”

Back door trotter · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 2, 2016

“I was prescribed Loperamide following surgery for cancer of the bowel. It has been a life saver as I no longer need to be consistently near a commode or rest room.I now have formed stool once or twice a day but with plenty of warning before the big boom !”

Cynthia McManus February 16, 2016

Imodium (loperamide): “This is the only product that has worked for me. Can you please improve the taste. Thank You.”

I've used it for years. March 14, 2015

Imodium A-D (loperamide): “I have used this over the counter medication for many years. I have IBS and I find this Imodium A-D works to stop my diarrhea. It might be a good idea to take it with you where ever you go for emergencies. If you have IBS you should talk with your doctor about diet.”

So relieved! · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 12, 2012

Imodium (loperamide): “I have had chronic diarrhea for 20 years. I could not eat without experiencing diarrhea, had accidents in public places. The first thing I did when entering a new building was locate the restroom. I frequently had to leave my classroom unattended to run--no running would have been disastrous--carefully walk to the nearest restroom and have embarrassingly flatulent and explosive bouts of diarrhea. I finally started self-medicating, taking one tablet in the morning and one before supper. I have two normal bowel motions a day. No more diarrhea now. My life has changed!”