User Reviews for Levomilnacipran to treat Depression

Also known as: Fetzima

Levomilnacipran has an average rating of 4.8 out of 10 from a total of 93 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 32% of those users who reviewed Levomilnacipran reported a positive effect, while 48% reported a negative effect.

Levomilnacipran Rating Summary

4.8/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Levomilnacipran

Lauren April 5, 2021

“I started on Cymbalta to reduce my back pain praying for a Hail Mary because I tried everything plus surgery and nothing worked. Cymbalta literally changed my life as far as pain goes but it made me absolutely exhausted. My doctor switched me to Fetzima and the energy came back, but still helped with the pain. I started at 20mg and when I went up to 40mg I started getting really angry and went back down to 20mg. I take it like every other day now although I should take it everyday. Out of everything that I’ve tried in the past, an SNRI was my life saver! I give it a 10 For pain but maybe a 5 for depression as I think it makes me more angry, but if I stick to 20mg I’m ok.”

brbormaybeiwont · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2021

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I started taking Fetzima in hopes of finding relief from my depression. I have tried meds off and on for nearly 40 years, nothing seems to bring relief. I suffer from severe trauma from things I endured as a child. This medicine made me feel terrible. I have never experienced the type of depression where I couldn't function. This made me literally not want to do anything. I could hardly get up off the couch. Things I would normally love to do, i just couldn't seem to get it done. Then I would beat myself up because I couldn't get anything done. I've stopped the medicine and will go back to therapy.”

TheXbearXjew · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2021

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “Was on 20mg for about 6-8 weeks, it worked really well with my anxiety but I stopped it because of the sexual side effects and insomnia. It’s been over a month and I still feel the medicine’s effects on me (positive and negatives) along with discontinuation symptoms (Can’t sleep, nausea, headaches, shaking). It’s truly awful and IDK when I am going to be back to normal.”

Fetizma February 27, 2014

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I have tried every antidepressant in the books over the past twelve years, you name it, I've been on it for an extended period of time "waiting for it to begin working" I have bipolar tendencies and panic disorder which has been so bad at times I've literally fallen down and been physically crippled for long periods of time, sometimes up to four hours due to hyperventilation. Recently traumatic events one after the other left me also with a whopping case of depression to top everything off. My doctor began a starter pack of the Fetizma and now I'm on an 80 mg dose. My anxiety is all but gone, it leaves me extremely calm without feeling sedated and as an added bonus it seems to have greatly reduced my chronic pain. Life just seems better.”

Replacing Effexor, Lexapro with Fetzima April 2, 2014

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I have been taking Effexor, 300 mg for 15 years and Lexapro, 40 mg for about eight. I have tried to stop taking Effexor twice with horrible experiences each time. My depression began to increase so the Dr. prescribed stopping Lexapro immediately and gradually decreasing Effexor and replacing it with Fetzima (first 40, now 80mg). I was hesitant due to my prior experiences but the Dr. seemed confident. After 12 weeks, today is my first day without any Effexor, only 80 mg of Fetzima. I feel great; I had no negative side effects from the changes and notice definite improvement in my depression. I believe the depression will continue to lift with time. I am so relieved to finally be free of Effexor I believe Fetzima made it possible.”

GrumpyMonk · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 19, 2015

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I've been taking 40mg of Fetzima daily for the past 9 months. For me it's hands down the best antidepressant I've ever tried. My mood is significantly better and I have more energy. Most importantly it has lifted my need for other mood altering medicines. I have been sober for four months without really trying. Amazingly I no longer feel the need to "escape" reality. I hope and pray it continues to work as it's given me a glimpse of what life without addiction and depression can be. It's been life changing. As for side effects I have noticed an increase in irritability. I have had inconsistencies in the bedroom as well. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Overall well worth it for me!”

ricci92311 March 3, 2016

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I switched from Cymbalta which has never done anything great for me. As soon as I started Fetzima people started saying they saw a difference in me. I don't know what I would have done without Fetzima. For the first time since I can remember I feel like a regular human being. I have horrible social anxiety and if I can make myself get out there I do very well now. I no longer keep silent and feel like I shouldn't have the right to speak. I just feel normal like everyone else. I feel happy and normal. All thanks to Fetzima. My blood pressure has gone up but all I did was quite my coffee and caffeine. Actually I took up green tea which has caffeine but my blood pressure is down now. I'd gladly give that up to feel as good as I do.”

depressionville · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 9, 2016

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “Ignore all the negative reviews because this drug might work for you. I've had depression for decades and have tried 18 different drugs over the years. Only 3 meds have worked for me, and Fetzima is one of them. This drug saved my life. The side effects slowly went away over a 6 week time period. Yes, it is energizing at first and you may need to take an extra amount of benzo to calm you down, but the side effects eventually go away for some of us, although it seems like they never will for weeks. Give it time to work!”

Hannah_Brooke · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2014

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I suffer from Severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Depression, Panic Disorder . The comment above me was almost like a mirror image! I was so relieved to see that another person has been on every anti-depressant out there and none had really worked... For me however, all the anti-depressants I have been on in the past have actually caused an opposite effect than what they are meant to do. I would become even more depressed and even suicidal. I have Systemic Lupus, (among many other serious health issues) and in my case, the Lupus is very severe. It is pain, every waking moment. The Fetzima 40mg has helped a bit with that, it hasn't made me more depressed and I think I may even be feeling a bit more positive. So, all in all, I think it may be working : )”

WeeBeastie January 22, 2015

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “Have been on many antidepressants, most either not effective enough or side effects were too much. I am on 40mg in 3rd month. On the side I have much more energy, I am no longer sleeping excessively, my anger/irritability is much less. Most important, my depression is much better and emotionally I feel much better. Now, Started getting headaches, severe ones, that only responded to ice packs. Then my blood pressure went way way up. The headaches are probably related to the elevated blood pressure. I also got the sweats (at first I thought it was menopause, but not so). I was also having a hard time sleeping. Finally heart racing. Will try a bit longer to see if body can adapt to it, because my mood is much better, but worried regarding side effects.”

The Bacon Thug · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 4, 2015

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I had recently lost just about everything i had but my truck, and was suffering from major depression. Couldn't even find the strength or will to get off my grandmothers couch. The doc gave me the first 3 weeks dosage (2 20mg then up to 40). The very first day I noticed changes. I had my energy back, I wanted to do things again. The side effects didn't kick in until day 4. Nausea, constipation, and overall foul stomach. My stomach made noises that I've never before heard it make. It was putting me in such a great mood that I just pushed through it and in about a week, with lots of antacid and stool softener, it subsided. This medicine has helped me tremendously so far in my battle with depression.”

Getting There · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 20, 2018

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “My depression started when I was 13. I tried countless medications with unpleasant side effects with my PCP and then my psychiatrist and nothing relieved my symptoms entirely. I was seriously considering ECT until he gave me some free samples of Fetzima, when I was about 18 and in my first year of college. I cannot describe to you how much of a difference there was but I will try. This medication quite literally saved my life, as I was suicidal pretty much daily in high school. It was much easier to think, sort my feelings out & continue on with my life after about a month at the highest dose (120mg). Though I am still on Wellbutrin and Adderall XR (since age 15/16), this medication lifted my mood immensely and gave me the hope I needed that life will turn out OK. It's expensive since it's newer, insurance partially covered it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 22, 2014

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I was on Fetzima for a couple of months but my depression was still really bad. The doctor kept increasing my dose with no signs of improvement. Eventually, my blood pressure and pulse was so high that I had to come off.”

Ballofnerves · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 2, 2020

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I’ve added Fetzima to my maximum dose of Wellbutrin (which I have no negative effects from and been on for years) and it became clear to me a week in that there is a large change in mood for me. It takes some getting used to for sure ... my dreams are vivid but not unpleasant. I’m definitely more focused, less anxious, and have nice happy almost euphoric parts of the day. I’m very sexual? Which was unexpected but I’ll take it lol. So the top strange effect right now are isolated goosebumps, heightened sexual drive, vivid dreams and occasionally flushing for me. From the reviews it really seems like a love-it or hate-it med, and you know quickly what you think of it. I love it and it’s a 50/50 shot so worth a try!”

TLC · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2020

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I was taken off my other medications to see if this one would be more effective. I started with the 20mg for 2 days I did feel crummy but I was also taken off the other meds cold turkey so I figured it was from that. Day 3 I started the 40mg and within 30 minutes I just started to feel unwell then got this horrible pressure in my neck and head that continued to get worse. I also became nauseated, shaky, and weak. I called my PCP and she told me that I should probably go to the ER. When I arrived my blood pressure was 184/124 which is normally 100/60. I felt horrible. I was informed that I had a very bad adverse reaction to this medication and should stop immediately. It is 5 days later and my blood pressure is now normal but not 100 percent. This was just my experience, I know that this medication does work well for others and I hope it does that for you, no one deserves to live with depression, anxiety and etc.. it's horrible and I hope you find something that works!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 2, 2016

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I started having serious health problems that I didn't think could be related to anxiety, but it was. I went 6 weeks without being able to drive, had extreme weakness to the point on one occasion I didn't think I could get out of bed. I had an MRI on my brain, an echo on my heart, blood work, and two tests at the dr to make sure I hadn't or wasn't having a heart attack. Spent hundreds seeing a natural dr as well. I tried Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, and one more and it wasn't until I took Fetzima that I actually had a real results. I did have increased energy at first starting at 20mg, but I loved waking up with energy. I went to 40mg and did great for 3-4 months. Tonight is my first increase to 60mg. This drug has made a huge difference for me.”

GDD30 October 17, 2014

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I started Fetzima 4 months ago. My blood pressure went up dramatically to the point that now I am on blood pressure medication. I am also irritable now. I see my doctor in one week and I will tell him to change it. I've never had a blood pressure side effect from medication before. My blood pressure was also normal.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 13, 2017

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I was surprised to see that there were some reviews that showed it wasn't helping some people. I'm very sorry for that. Depression runs in my family. I've been on over 20 different antidepressants throughout my life. Nothing has ever worked. I don't recall any improvement from anything. I started fetzima about 2 years ago. I felt relief within 1 week. I couldn't believe the difference within 2 weeks. I have experienced some rough times. I've had a few suicide attempts and woke up in ICU 3 times. I'm not trying to say I've had it worse than anyone. I'm just saying that was the place I was in. This was the only med that worked. The only drawback is the cost. It's very expensive without a savings card.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2015

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “25, Male. I noticed the previous reviewer mentioned having ocular symptoms with Fetzima. I’ve also been having these issues. Specifically, I’ve had eye pain, a feeling of pressure behind the eyes and a tight feeling as if my eyes are about to pop out of my head. Other than the previous reviewer, I haven’t seen anyone else mention it, and it doesn’t seem to be an acknowledged side effect in the literature. I’ve had a number of other side effects, but they are manageable; this one is most troubling. I’ve been on the drug 3 months and I would have already quit except it’s the only drug (of many I’ve tried) that has helped my energy, focus and motivation. I will probably see an ophthalmologist before I decide whether to discontinue.”

Non · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2019

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “Prozac quit after 10 wonderful years. Tried many others. Nothing. Then Fetzima can’t get by 20 mg tablet due to nausea, bloating. Then attack either gallbladder or something else? Severe vomiting. Did fetzima trigger gastrointestinal problems? Hasn’t improved mood either. Going off. What to try next? This is a crazy circle. Hopefully one day there will be something better than “try this, “try that” approach. At 70, ready to give up.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 27, 2017

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “Update: I've been on Fetzima 5 months. It has worked better than any of the other 30 meds I've tried. It took 4 months for my arms itching side effect to go away and soreness of my mouth's upper roof and upper gums also is gone. My heat and sweating is almost all gone. If I stay on the couch, I'd have no sweating but when I did anything such as brushing my teeth I'd get so much sweating. Normally I don't sweat. These side effects do go away, so don't give up on this drug too soon. I don't get that drugged out tired feeling from the depression anymore. I do have a little anxiety from Fetzima but it is usually when I'm in bed trying to sleep more when really I had enough sleep which is good because that keeps me from escaping into bed.”

JamJamN8946 February 8, 2018

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I was switched from anxiety medication to Fetzima. I was very nervous at first, not knowing what to expect and reading a million different reviews. From my personal experience, this medication has been amazing. I have been feeling so well. For the first time in years I actually enjoyed Christmas instead of stressing myself out beyond belief. I actually feel like I can cope with family, work and life stresses. I tend to overextend myself and try to go above and beyond for holidays, Birthday ‘s, school functions, etc. I can handle it now without having a breakdown and I know my limitations and have learned it’s ok to reach out to others for help. Medicine reacts differently with everyone but I personally have had such a wonderful experience and am so glad I listened to my doctor and tried this. It has been a success for me.”

Bausten44 · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2016

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “This norepinephrine dominant SNRI has helped tremendously with my depression. It has given me increased energy and focus without sleep disturbance. So far, no significant sexual side effects (will post later if this changes.) Currently at 40 mg; may go up to 80 mg in preparation for seasonal mood worsening. I do believe the medication is also helping me with mild-to-moderate age-related aches and pains. Overall, very satisfied!! PS. No side effects for me; or I'm interpreting the side effects as positive, i.e. increased focus and energy, yet that's what these meds are supposed to do. Maybe someone else might interpret the energy and focus as anxiety.”

SagingRose November 28, 2016

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “This works better than anything I've tried. I was doing well with Strattera for 4 years then it stopped working. I did well on Wellbutrin many years, it stopped working, etc. With Fetzima I get up easily in the morning because I lay in bed for at least 15 minutes, I pet and play with my cat, have quiet time saying things I'm grateful for and sometimes I get guidance for information for my day. I don't overeat anymore, I get full fast, can only eat 1/2 as much as I used to because I get bloated which helps. My headaches went away after 2 months and my sweating is almost gone away now after 3 months. I feel good and motivated to do things. I'm not hyper like with Wellbutrin.”

E · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 31, 2020

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I started fetzima in the middle of January 2020 it is now March. Unfortunately it isn’t doing much in helping my anxiety, my obsessive thoughts. It has helped me from feeling destitute. My energy is up. I think it has less side effects than other SSRIs and SNRI. About my obsessive thoughts - I think about things that upset me in the past. I did do this before I wasn’t on anything but I feel like I do it more often then I use to. Also I read these reviews and see people were in “rage” on this medication - pretty scary. So now I’m thinking I’m like that too lol. I try my best to remember that everything will be okay. Something that has helped ..it seems.. is I take a break of it for a day. Next day I seem to have better clarity. Make sure to advocate for yourself for what’s best for you. They tell you to try different medications I haven’t found much difference in most of them. Good luck to you - love”

Xris-t · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2016

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “Took a 6 week trial of fetzima, after trying Zoloft (which I hated) and Celexa (which was ok). Fetzima seemed to work well! No more bouts of crying or crazy attitude. But my blood pressure and heart rate sky rocketed! While exercising my heart rate would increase to 200bpm! Resting could sometimes be 120 bpm! And although the feelings of depression had subsided, I had my heart to worry about. Not worth the overall long term damage to my body...”

chess52424245 October 29, 2015

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “Horrible. I have suffered from anxiety and depression for many years. Doctor decided that I would try this medication. I have tried over 30 medications with no results. This medication significantly increased my anxiety. I have social anxiety and normally only become anxious in social situations. When taking this medication I became anxious 24/7 and the anxiety intensity also increased. I felt like I was dying.”

sue · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 15, 2020

Fetzima (levomilnacipran): “I have had amazing success for depression with Fetzima 80 mg daily of this med. I take it in the morning. The depressive symptoms I was feeling disappeared after less than a week. It is so great to feel back to 'normal' again. I do sweat WAY more, and if I have even a mild alcoholic drink my face gets really flushed and I sweat even more. But it's a great medication for me.”