User Reviews for Fetzima

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Fetzima.

Fetzima Rating Summary

4.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Fetzima to treat Depression

"I struggled with symptoms of depression/anxiety since childhood, something that was the result of a naturally sensitive disposition, family history and a history of bullying and self-worth issues. I took this medication for 2 years and it was the only one that I could tolerate well that worked. I had previously been on Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, and Wellbutrin, which I had to discontinue due to seizures, though it was effective. This medication, along with psychotherapy and a lot of work put into rebuilding a social network, helped me recover from very persistent depression. I still struggle with anxiety from time to time but it's nothing major. It gave me the momentum to keep going during a very challenging period of my life."

Keep Going (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking this medication two days ago and have already have a severe reaction to it. I am having severe panic attacks, nausea, body pain, headaches, and I keep uncontrollably crying. It seems as if these are very common side effects and I am basically a walking zombie. I have no emotion, no feeling, and can’t think straight. I wouldn’t recommend this medication to anyone."

Anonymous517 November 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After 5 days of 40mg, I jump to the 80mg and almost immediately start have both pain in my testicles as well as very slow urination accompanied by pain as well. The pain would be significant enough to make it hard to sleep at times. This is in addition to the sexual dysfunction, shivers, gastrointestinal problems, and probably other "insignificant" side-effects. This medicine was garbage for me. After 24 hours off the medication, all side effects subside, thank goodness. And on top of all these side effects, it did nothing for my depression."

iwtste October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I tried fetzima for a week going from 20mg to 40mg. I had the worst headaches, chills, and GI problems. I like to exercise and I was afraid I was going to pass out from being so light headed. I stopped taking it, but then changed my mind a month later and went back on. Again, the same side effects even staying on the 20mg. Today will be my last day. I can't live in the bathroom."

Alwaysinthebathroom August 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've taken several different SSRIs and SNRI's. This medication is the worst I have even taken. It makes me feel worse than I felt before I started taking anything at all - sweating, hot flashes, my mouth constantly tastes like I drank salt water, constipated, bloated, nausea, exhausted. You name It. EXTREME RAGE!!!! stay away from this med. it's a scary thing"

Asdf238495 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was surprised to see that there were some reviews that showed it wasn't helping some people. I'm very sorry for that. Depression runs in my family. I've been on over 20 different antidepressants throughout my life. Nothing has ever worked. I don't recall any improvement from anything. I started fetzima about 2 years ago. I felt relief within 1 week. I couldn't believe the difference within 2 weeks. I have experienced some rough times. I've had a few suicide attempts and woke up in ICU 3 times. I'm not trying to say I've had it worse than anyone. I'm just saying that was the place I was in. This was the only med that worked. The only drawback is the cost. It's very expensive without a savings card."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Also wanted to add since I ran out of room on my last post that this medication has also caused me to have SEVERE hot flashes, I'm going through menopause but my hot flashes were not as bad until I started taking fetzima, after I went off of it for 3 months my hot flashes almost vanished, not as severe and not so many and now I've been back on fetzima again for 3 months and HELLO HOT FLASHES, this medication is the worst!!!!!!!!"

ThereseCup (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Age 60 male. Several years with BPH being managed by Xatral but TURP coming soon. Past year my depression/PTSD being managed by Cipralex 20mg. Unhappy with weight gain and anorgasmia so I was just prescribed Fetzima. Weaned off the Cipralex and yesterday was the first day of introduction of Fetzima (20mg) but within hours I developed urinary urgency and much reduced flow. Discomfort increased through the day causing pain and extreme gas/stomach bloating. So 24 hours later I'm not taking Fetzima again until I talk to the doctor. It may just be coincidental but I fear the side effect of urinary retention is a real problem with the Fetzima when exacerbated by a pre-existing BPH condition so beware!"

Batman57 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So this drug was awesome for everything except it made me rage full. I could orgasm, no sleepiness, felt a little nausea but all meds have yucky side effects that go away after a while. It helped with concentration and motivation!! Wow I was a super star at work. Or maybe I was so used to the others SSRI's that gave me brain fog! I could jump out of bed with no problem in the morning which I never would get before. But it made me snappy, angry, mad and boil my blood! It didn't do well for anxiety. I think it gave me more. This drug must have a stimulant in it, more than one of the other ones that are more sedating. It was also the top highest tier for cost! Too much right now bc its a newer drug. Doesn't work for anxiety!"

Wish I could take this one!! (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Update: I've been on Fetzima 5 months. It has worked better than any of the other 30 meds I've tried. It took 4 months for my arms itching side effect to go away and soreness of my mouth's upper roof and upper gums also is gone. My heat and sweating is almost all gone. If I stay on the couch, I'd have no sweating but when I did anything such as brushing my teeth I'd get so much sweating. Normally I don't sweat. These side effects do go away, so don't give up on this drug too soon. I don't get that drugged out tired feeling from the depression anymore. I do have a little anxiety from Fetzima but it is usually when I'm in bed trying to sleep more when really I had enough sleep which is good because that keeps me from escaping into bed."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Made me extremely suicidal, cried uncontrollably, had severe anxiety attacks, after just 2 days of it I could not take it, and it's ridiculously expensive"

Anonymous December 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This works better than anything I've tried. I was doing well with Strattera for 4 years then it stopped working. I did well on Wellbutrin many years, it stopped working, etc. With Fetzima I get up easily in the morning because I lay in bed for at least 15 minutes, I pet and play with my cat, have quiet time saying things I'm grateful for and sometimes I get guidance for information for my day. I don't overeat anymore, I get full fast, can only eat 1/2 as much as I used to because I get bloated which helps. My headaches went away after 2 months and my sweating is almost gone away now after 3 months. I feel good and motivated to do things. I'm not hyper like with Wellbutrin."

SagingRose November 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I too have experienced a lot of loss especially with my divorce. I started up on the Fetzima recently and I'm experiencing fairly persistent symptoms of nausea. I was at 40 mg, but I'm finding that I am having to titrate, because I just can't take the effects of the nausea. I'm trying to stick it out, perhaps go down to 20 mg a day and see where I'm at at this point. I've also tried many medications, and I'm feeling extremely frustrated and somewhat hopeless. Have other people had similar experiences on this medication as far as getting over the hump of nausea? There just doesn't seem to be a lot of options."

Paulfhhgggfffdf November 25, 2016

"Good so far"

Slutty November 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered from hereditary clinical depression for several years. The death of my mother, two loved animals (horse and dog), a divorce that is endless and painful, have all added to my depression, and a new doctor prescribed Fetzima. Now I feel totally insane. My stomach hurts every time I eat; my heart pounds to the point that I wonder if I should go to an ER almost every day; I can't fall asleep and when I do I have stressful nightmares (never had bad dreams before); and every day I feel an anger and rage that makes no sense at all. I have to remind myself to take a deep breath and not act out this new mean personality on my dogs or my friends. No matter what my doctor's opinion, this poison stops tomorrow."

Justwannafeelgood November 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on 40mg of Fetzima for about 3 months and love it! So helpful for mood and energy. I also have increased sex drive and zero cravings, hence, inevitable weight loss. 40mg is the only dose I have taken, so my experience might be different if dose was higher or lower. This drug reminds me of Wellbutrin (which is NDRI), but slightly less stimulating. Cons: still brand name only, so can be expensive depending on where you live and insurance situation. Also, Fetzima is only approved to treat depression, so no improvement in anxiety symptoms. Vistaril helps with this, especially if you or your doctor are hesitant about benzos."

Alternaace (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started having serious health problems that I didn't think could be related to anxiety, but it was. I went 6 weeks without being able to drive, had extreme weakness to the point on one occasion I didn't think I could get out of bed. I had an MRI on my brain, an echo on my heart, blood work, and two tests at the dr to make sure I hadn't or wasn't having a heart attack. Spent hundreds seeing a natural dr as well. I tried Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, and one more and it wasn't until I took Fetzima that I actually had a real results. I did have increased energy at first starting at 20mg, but I loved waking up with energy. I went to 40mg and did great for 3-4 months. Tonight is my first increase to 60mg. This drug has made a huge difference for me."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This norepinephrine dominant SNRI has helped tremendously with my depression. It has given me increased energy and focus without sleep disturbance. So far, no significant sexual side effects (will post later if this changes.) Currently at 40 mg; may go up to 80 mg in preparation for seasonal mood worsening. I do believe the medication is also helping me with mild-to-moderate age-related aches and pains. Overall, very satisfied!! PS. No side effects for me; or I'm interpreting the side effects as positive, i.e. increased focus and energy, yet that's what these meds are supposed to do. Maybe someone else might interpret the energy and focus as anxiety."

Bausten44 (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with this medication is terrible. I have moved up to 40 mg daily. I have had a rapid heart beat all day. The mood swings are terrible, running nose, the sweats, body aching, headache and just feel very irritable the dreams are more like nightmares. I am not sure how they still market this drug but I would not recommend this to anyone. It is not an anti depressant but an anti feel good product. I have never written a review before but feel so strong that other people should not get involved in this drug."

Paisan Man (taken for less than 1 month) August 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this medicine for a few days. The rage I had at all times was so intense it frightened me. It made me have thoughts of hurting others to the point I could not work for fear of hurting people I work with. I had to board my cats to keep from hurting them. I have been off this drug for a year but now when I try other anti depressants the rage seems to come back."

okfitz August 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"spent 3 days only on this. It made me so angry I just wanted to hurt someone, also on day 2 my eyes started twitching off and on all day. stopped taking this on day 4...guess what? 2 months later, my eyes still twitch daily!"

brandy nichole May 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Ignore all the negative reviews because this drug might work for you. I've had depression for decades and have tried 18 different drugs over the years. Only 3 meds have worked for me, and Fetzima is one of them. This drug saved my life. The side effects slowly went away over a 6 week time period. Yes, it is energizing at first and you may need to take an extra amount of benzo to calm you down, but the side effects eventually go away for some of us, although it seems like they never will for weeks. Give it time to work!"

depressionville (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I didn't feel this drug did much of anything to lessen my depression. It did give me night and day sweats, dry mouth and a foggy mental state that offer made clear thinking more difficult"

Susan N (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Overall I love this med! I feel like me but with less anxiety. I've been on it for about a month to 6 weeks."

Kbmom March 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I switched from Cymbalta which has never done anything great for me. As soon as I started Fetzima people started saying they saw a difference in me. I don't know what I would have done without Fetzima. For the first time since I can remember I feel like a regular human being. I have horrible social anxiety and if I can make myself get out there I do very well now. I no longer keep silent and feel like I shouldn't have the right to speak. I just feel normal like everyone else. I feel happy and normal. All thanks to Fetzima. My blood pressure has gone up but all I did was quite my coffee and caffeine. Actually I took up green tea which has caffeine but my blood pressure is down now. I'd gladly give that up to feel as good as I do."

ricci92311 March 3, 2016