User Reviews for Levalbuterol

Also known as: Xopenex, Xopenex HFA, Xopenex Concentrate

Levalbuterol has an average rating of 8.9 out of 10 from a total of 26 ratings on Drugs.com. 92% of those users who reviewed Levalbuterol reported a positive effect, while 4% reported a negative effect.

COPD, Maintenance   10.0
Asthma, Maintenance   8.0
Summary of Levalbuterol reviews 8.9 26 reviews

Reviews for Levalbuterol

Almo · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 12, 2020

Xopenex (levalbuterol) for COPD: “Xopenex is a much better-inhaled medication as it does not cause a racing heart like albuterol.”

wezzie · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 15, 2020

Xopenex (levalbuterol) for COPD: “I am highly allergic to albuterol, but, my lung doctor found Xopenex was best for me. Been on xopenex inhaler since 2012, also, the generic levobuterol for nebulizer. Both have really helped me. Won't use anything else.”

Blynn · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

For COPD: “I was on Albuterol but my heart raced so bad and I had terrible palpitations. My doctor put me on Levalbuterol and the difference is amazing. I love this drug, but the side effects are not good for me. I have constant mouth sores, fatigue, dry red eyes, nasal congestion, nose bleeds and now, at my age I have acne. After using my inhaler, or nebulizer solution of Levalbuterol, I rinse my mouth and gargle with warm water like crazy. I know it can cause mouth thrush, so I'm very conscious of the rinsing. It doesn't matter, I have the mouth thrush/canker sores anyway. I hate to give up on this medication because it has been a real blessing for me. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. Time will tell.”

Me September 5, 2019

For Asthma, Maintenance: “Xopenex/levalbuterol is much better than albuterol for me. I have occasional exercise induced asthma as well as when I get sick. This never makes my heart race like albuterol did, but I can still tell it opens my lungs up. Also, I really like the slight taste it leaves lol. I know you should wash your mouth to not get thrush, but it makes me not want to. It’s a sort of plasticy aftertaste, like how cortisone smells.”

Anon August 20, 2018

For Asthma: “I use xopenex and like it much better than the only time I tried albuterol. .Xopenex doesn’t make me jittery or feel weird and lately 1 inhalation does the trick when I get a continuing cough or wheeze.”

Darkhorse007 January 14, 2018

Xopenex HFA (levalbuterol) for Asthma: “I have used Proventil and Pro Air the past few years. I have Panic Disorder and don’t like the side effects of albuterol but have to use a rescue inhaler at times. My new Formulary for 2018 discontinued those two and Levalbuterol was available. Research said it had less side effects and maybe stronger. I’m grateful to have it and I’m no longer hesitant to use my rescue inhaler because it has no anxious side effects and works. I highly recommend it and would never switch. Great for nervous and anxious patients.”

Ann B. · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 2, 2018

Xopenex (levalbuterol) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I was on Xopenex for about a year and it made me crazy. I have never experienced this with any other asthma drug. By crazy, I mean more anxious and scared than I have ever felt in my life, really unbearable. It took a long time to figure out that it was the drug. It worked fine against asthmatic episodes, but I can't recommend it.”

440Mopar April 19, 2017

Xopenex HFA (levalbuterol) for Asthma, acute: “I previously used MaxAir (perbuterol) for over 30 years, which works noticeably better than this stuff. I get a paradoxial spasm from albuterol, can't take it. But the Einsteins here decided to discontinue perbuterol because not enough people use it, to justify making it! Someone at FDA even told me to take albuterol anyway! This stuff is better than nothing. If you can't take albuterol for whatever reason, this is the only rescue replacement.”

dan c. · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2017

For COPD, Acute: “COPD, hospitalized. Acute breathing problem, 3 times. Last time, used with steroid and am now maintaining at 4 litres oxygen, 24hrs a day.”

Abbz November 3, 2016

Xopenex HFA (levalbuterol) for Asthma, acute: “My Xopenex HFA works very well for me. No side effects since I started using it. Works quickly for me. I started with an inhaler called Alupent which worked very well with no side effects. Then the powers that be no longer made this inhaler. I was then put on Albuterol which had very bad side effects for me. I had told the pharmacist & my doctor about my bad reaction to albuterol & they had told me it was a normal thing to have a slight tremor! When I went into the hospital for acute bronchitis, they gave me albuterol which caused me to shake so badly that my feet were bouncing on the bed. The med staff saw this so they could not say "Oh, you just had a tremor, which is normal!" Hence my doctor's nurse found Xopenex HFA for me!”

Tornadolady September 25, 2016

Xopenex (levalbuterol) for Asthma: “I love this kind of Xopenex its great works for me No any Side effect cause Tremor, shaking, nervous, heart race, etc. thats much better than altboutel.. Keep this for a great for people suffer asthma! Stars 10!”

pbugsmom · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 9, 2016

For COPD: “Works almost as well as albuterol, but no nasty heart side effects.”

Anonymous March 10, 2015

Xopenex (levalbuterol) for Asthma, acute: “Used as alternative to albuterol inhaler due to rapid heart rate after its use. Good for use during mild to moderate acute asthma. I use for mild asthma. If Xopenex inhaler doesn't completely work, I know it's time to step up treatment with regular nebulized medication & a doctors visit.”

Ain't easy bein' wheezy · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 11, 2014

Xopenex HFA (levalbuterol) for Asthma, acute: “This is the best rescue inhaler out there. It works as well as albuterol and doesn't make me half as jittery. I highly recommend it. Albuterol made my hands shake so badly, that people would ask me if I was okay. There is no reason to still take albuterol when Xopenex exists.”

Anonymous April 11, 2012

Xopenex (levalbuterol) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I like this medicine better the others. Not too bad as far as side effects!”

Anonymous January 26, 2012

Xopenex (levalbuterol) for Asthma, Maintenance: “After taking albuterol (and various brands of albuterol) for years, I got a chance to try Xopenex almost a year ago, and I love it! I used to be scared to take albuterol, because it made me so shaky, even at only half the perscribed dose. But I can take the full dosage of Xopenex prescribed without feeling shaky at all!”

jonolson December 25, 2010

Xopenex (levalbuterol) for Asthma, Maintenance: “I took Mucinex along with Xopenex. I had a terrible feeling for about 6 hours. ”

Anonymous August 26, 2010

Xopenex HFA (levalbuterol) for Asthma, acute: “As a rescue inhaler - this one is the best! It does not cause you to feel jittery like the others do. It sometimes costs more than the other brands, but it is well worth it. My son has moderate asthma that is under excellent control, until the dreaded fall allergy season. He is very active and plays football and being exposed to his outdoor allergies in combination with the physical exercise, causes him to occasionally need the inhaler. He used to delay using his rescue inhaler because he did not want to feel jittery and he could not stand the taste the others put in the mouth. This brand gives him that immediate relief, but has exhibited no side effects in him. I can also testify first-hand as I used it when I had bronchitis.”

Anonymous June 4, 2010

Xopenex (levalbuterol) for COPD, Acute: “Wonderful, wonderful medicine. The only problem is Medicare will not pay the providers for this brand name drug only for generic (which this drug is not). However, because of this the pharmacy will not fill the prescription if you are under Medicare insurance as they will lose money. (It is always about the dollar and not what is best for the patient). Xopenex is a wonderful medicine and I would recommend it to anyone. ”

Anonymous December 9, 2009

Xopenex (levalbuterol) for Asthma, Maintenance: “It works so much better than albuterol. It doesn't make you choke and there is little or no heart racing after using it.”

spatton07 November 15, 2009

For Asthma, acute: “This is significantly better than the albuterol. I've had asthma for 17 years and always suffered from horrible side effects of albuterol- racing heart, tremors, being jittery; I heard about levalbuterol and LOVE it- such an improvement- works just as well as albuterol with fewer side effects. Way to go!”

Anonymous November 11, 2009

Xopenex (levalbuterol) for Asthma, acute: “Provided as an alternative to albuterol as my sons heart beat went very high with albuterol. Very effective.”

Anonymous November 7, 2009

Xopenex (levalbuterol) for COPD, Maintenance: “32yr old female with copd and asthma. After trying several inhalers Xopenex is the best by far for me. Have experienced no side effects and it significantly opens my airways.”

vonjon August 6, 2009

Xopenex (levalbuterol) for COPD, Acute: “I have found this to work better for me than other medications I've used in a nebulizer. I use it four times a day and it helps me breath better. However, I still have to use Proventil HFA between my treatments. That could be because of the severity of my COPD.”

moke September 17, 2008

Xopenex (levalbuterol) for COPD, Acute: “I have been using this for two months now and it is very helpful, a lot better than the albuterol solution I had for my nebulizer. This is wonderful. I can actually catch my breath with this and can walk a lot further using it.”