User Reviews for Vimpat

Seizures
7.1

Summary of Vimpat reviews 7.1 97 reviews

Reviews for Vimpat

For Seizures "Saved my life. I've been on almost every single available seizure medication over 8+ years. Multiple pills at one time at large doses each...I've already slit my wrist because of my life and horrible medications. This one has finally ended my suffering. I can finally go to sleep at night without the fear of waking up covered in vomit and blood and forgetting who I am."

Tuck (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 10, 2018

For Seizures "POSITIVES: I have my normal energy and personality. NEGATIVES: $750.00 for 30 day supply with insurance! I have a little blurred vision, ringing in my ears and short term memory loss. (can't remember things from the day and week and can't find words to talk well especially in groups of people). I am 59 years old and starting having multiple auras at age 56 which led to 2 grand Mal seizures. Keppra made me extremely tired and anxious. Dylantin made me extremely tired, off balanced and "high" feeling. Vimpat has worked the best with 2-150mg pills per day."

Anonymous July 31, 2018

For Seizures "I must rate Vimpat as a Negative, a source of seizures. Started – Fighting seizures for 45 years. I started Lamictal-Vimpat regimen 8 years ago. The doctor received nothing but complains. He cut the levels in half. Afterwards, he got questions when why meds were only working when I was on a limited light-carbohydrate diet. He got tired of me and STOPPED the Vimpat. Now on a light amount of Limictal. The past year the seizures are gone, first time. Stopped diet and gained weight? Best guess, excessive meds have been my primary source of seizures."

PAOFPA (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 21, 2018

For Seizures "I take 100 mg Vimpat, twice daily with Topamax (125 mg, twice daily). Works VERY well. However, I have lately noticed a ringing in my ears, noticing it only at night, and am wondering if that's a lesser known side effect of the Vimpat. Anyone else out there experiencing that too? Just curious. Otherwise, no complaints."

Susan (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2018

For Seizures "I had my first seizure 5 months ago, I’m a 44 year old man. I’m now on vimpat twice a day, 100mg each time. I had a lot of side effects when I started but feel great now. I was very tired , needed to go to bed about 8pm ever night of the week. The tiredness is now gone. I did have a few beers when I started on vimpat but it didn’t work with the medication. I would suggest you stay off the beer. Vimpat has changed my life for the good, I can now think straight and have seen a big improvement in my memory. Best of luck to all."

Paulcork July 15, 2018

For Seizures "I started this medication in 2011. The Vimpat along with clonazepam has worked perfectly for me. I haven't had a seizure since 2012. I do notice my vision has changed, a little more blurred, but I am over 55 so I guess that also comes with age. I am happy Vimpat works for me!"

Cyevans (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 24, 2018

For Seizures "Okay so I figured I'd do everybody a favor and tell you how this medicine does. I'm a patient, and I recently switched to Vimpat because I hate Keppra. Keppra wasn't working for me, I recently totalled my car heading to work after a seizure. I was on the max of Keppra, turned me into a psycho The Last 5 Years, then I read how bad it was. Vimpat has been awesome. Been a month I've noticed I'm nice, I'm not blowing up either. It hasn't really got me high, obviously light-headed on an empty stomach. I haven't had a seizure in a month first time in a long time. I'm currently taking 100mg Vimpat tablets 2x day, 500mg Keppra 2x day. 200 mg lamictal 2× day. Fact I've noticed this change while on my Keppra is awesome. I've also felt like I remember things better lately. It's only been a month nothing but good news for me so far. Longest run without a seizure. Lots of insurances won't cover it though because it's an expensive drug. Its a controlled substance too, cat 5."

Pat Podo April 24, 2018

For Seizures "Has practically eliminated my seizures. I was surprised it was a controlled substance. The side effects are minimal for me. No problems driving, etc."

TC (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2018

For Seizures "I have grand mal (tonic-clonic) seizures which are the full body go crazy type. They started 2 years ago with no warning or cause. I'm now 28 years old and the neurologist at mayo and scans/images see nothing wrong. I started with keppra but that didn't do a thing. I used to have 1-3 seizures every 30 days. I started on 100mg, then 200mg twice daily since May 2017 and seizures have at least lessened to at most once a month. I went 3 months before a seizure (new record!) which is great. also lessened the strength of my seizures and the postictal phase. I do experience heavy memory loss, difficulty remembering new things, random headaches, difficulty w/ speech and finding the right words, and rarely random dizziness but that goes away quick. Overall, I can work and I'm still me"

Delty (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 13, 2017

For Seizures "Had blurry double vision first week and half, felt mildly drunk headed also random spaciness and yes that's a word lol. Also on Trileptal. so far it's helped but it seems to be an intoxicating substance or it really brings out the side effect profile of clonazepam. I would bet its Vimpat alone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2017

For Seizures "It was a great drug has stopped my seizures for 5 years. But the problem is I think I am very allergic to the medication. I started having side affects that I noticed about a year after starting vimpat. Extreme hair loss to where it was just falling out in the showe,r my hair has thinned so much. Itching all over my body scalp legs arms. Ringing in my ears. Little bumps all over my body, I have gone to a dermatologist but he says it's dermatitis I have never had that until vimpat. The newest thing in the last 2 years severe cystic acne on my face, I have never had acne maybe a bump or 2 as a teenager. 2 years ago at 36 I started getting painful cystic acne this is also because of vimpat. And last of all weight gain, I am 38."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 14, 2017

For Seizures "I have been using vimpat since 2011. I found a New Doctor in 2011 he ordered Vimpat 100mg 2x a day, along with Clonezapam .05 2x a day, Somehow this was the perfect combination of both medicines as I have been Seizure free for 5 years! Vimpat Works For Me! :-)"

Rboo September 24, 2017

For Seizures "Got switched to this after being on Aptiom (which made me crazy). I'm having less seizures, but it's like my brain is shrinking. My memory has gotten worse, which is saying something. I can't think of the simplest words sometimes, like I'm losing part of my vocabulary. I haven't had any emotional issues. I feel back to myself in that respect, but like every other medicine it will work for a while then I will slowly start having more frequent seizures. This is lasting longer than my others, but it feels like it's not just keeping my neurons from over-firing. It feels like my brain is shutting down slowly. Idk what to do about it."

Jen4105 September 13, 2017

For Seizures "Vimpat saved me! After years of off and on again seizures (petite mal), I struggled with Epival as a lone source of control. A few years ago my Neurologist combined Keppra to my medical regiment. It worked fairly well for about a year or two in controlling my seizure. One of the major problems was that my emotions went wild. When I was happy I was ecstatic, when I was sad I was depressed and when I was perturbed, well, I was furious and not fun to be around! Sadly, my seizures returned and then my Neurologist placed my on Vimpat (together with Epival). Since the change life has become MUCH better. I am back to my normal self. The person I was many years ago, and I am ever so grateful!"

ScooterVIP August 16, 2017

For Seizures "I've been on 200 mg twice a day and my seizures have improved"

NewCamper April 25, 2017

For Seizures "I have been on Vimpat for four years and have been seizure free since starting it. I do get a little dopey an hour after I take it; however, it's not to the degree that it interferes with work or driving. The side effects lessen the longer I've been on it. I'm in NC, and my insurance does cover all but a $50 copay. This medicine is a life saver. I've tried Keppra, Topamax, Lamictal, and Depakote with no success. My doctor does yearly Vimpat blood level labs to make sure I keep at a therapeutic level and also screens vitamin D and B12 levels every six months since they can be affected by Vimpat. Good luck on your journey."

RGDNC April 21, 2017

For Seizures "Horrible double vision keeps getting worse. On my 3rd set of glasses and 2nd try at prism lenses. Trying again soon."

Redchief37 March 30, 2017

For Seizures "VERY PLEASED WITH RESULTS IN CONJUNCTION WITH OTHER MEDS. I am seizure free. By taking vitamin B12 I am no longer tired. For 30 years my neuros treated me with wrong meds. I HAD EEG VIDEO MONITORING and they found my seizures were not in the frontal lobe."

NYY (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2017

For Seizures "Make sure you are getting a factory sealed bottle! VIMPAT only has a shelf life of 7 weeks once opened. We were getting VIMPAT dispensed from a larger opened bottle at our pharmacy. This bottle may have been open well outside of the shelf life per VIMPAT guidelines. We changed the prescription over to another pharmacy and started to receive an factory sealed bottle. I mentioned this because during the time of receiving VIMPAT from original pharmacy our 3 year old myoclonic seizure activity was not controlled. Our Doctor couldn't believe the VIMPAT wasn't working and increased dosage slowly. When we switched over to new ones (sealed bottle) the seizures stopped immediately and he has been seizure free for 3 weeks now."

WLB74 March 19, 2017

For Seizures "No seizures"

Nurah March 5, 2017

For Seizures "My daughter has just been diagnosed with Epilepsy. She started with Keppra but had a seizure while on it so her doctor added Vimpat. He had given me sample packs at first to see how she did. She has been taking it for 4 weeks and seems to be doing well. My main problem is that for a 30 day supply it cost me (with insurance) $774!!!!!!! I was told that there is no generic available. It just amazes me that drug companies can do this to people."

New to Epilepsy (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2017

For Seizures "The medication seem to work, is very expense and I have to do without it for 2 to 4 days. Looking for a generic. I am on a fixed income. I have a intermediate job. Trying to pay some old bills. Paying for this prescribed medication hinder me."

Jjay (taken for 10 years or more) January 29, 2017

For Seizures "I noticed a difference from the first time I began taking it. I had fewer seizures, and as the dose was increased, and Zonisamide removed from my system, my seizure-control improved. I'm now on one pill if Vimpat, twice a day and seizure-free for two years. Thank you for having the God-given wisdom to use the knowledge you received to make this medicine. It has changed my life."

Gabriella M. January 12, 2017

For Seizures "After adding Vimpat to my Keppra regime, my seizures dropped to nearly nonexistent. I have tried most all other seizure meds, but this 1 worked for me. I realize everyone is different, this med worked for me with few side effects. I will gladly trade a few side effects versus a seizure."

mdb1968 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 11, 2016

For Seizures "Sudden onset of seizures (tonic/clonic) at the age of 56. 6 days in the Neuro ICU & no cause determined (but I concede my sleep patterns need improvement). I'm on 100mg of Vimpat X 2 daily. No seizures since. (Yay!) But 8 weeks later, 3 side effects. Memory issues e.g., I'll read books for the first time, only to see my own notes in the margin. (So it's not the first read!) That's very distressing. Repeating myself. Also noticed vision changes, as if I need another RX glasses, & (7 out of 10 in pain) headaches for the first time in my life. I'm told to give Vimpat 90+ days to 6 months to adjust. Crossing fingers."

Jeannine59 December 1, 2016