User Reviews for Vimpat

Epilepsy 7.3
Seizures 7.2

Reviews for Vimpat

CT · Taken for 10 years or more May 24, 2020

For Epilepsy: “I’ve taken Phenbarbitol, Dilantin, Trileptal, Keppra, Vimpat, Fycompa, and Lamotrigine. Vimpat is the best by far and no side effects for me, and even though it doesn’t completely control my seizures only marijuana works more efficiently for me, and that includes surgery back in 2012.”

Vicky April 20, 2020

For Epilepsy: “It helps me with my seizures and at times I have headaches. If I don't eat any food with Vimpat it makes me sick .”

Veener · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2020

For Seizures: “My doctor put me on Vimpat got the first prescription for 20 dollars went to fill today $13000 dollars. Really liked it but can't afford it so now I have to take affordable med. It cost more than my house payment”

Diesel1 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 25, 2020

For Seizures: “Came off depakote trying to be able to function with school and normal life. Vimpat is a great drug and stopped my seizures. Way better than keppra and depakote. Makes me a little drowsy and tired. Also had weight gain. All and all a very good drug for seizures.”

Stac · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

For Epilepsy: “I have had no problems with this medication. The only "problem" I would say was getting the right dosage. I was on Lamotrigine 300mg ×2 daily, Clobazam 20mg x2 daily and initially on Vimpat 200mg. Vimpat was WAY too strong. It made me have double vision. Lowered the dose to 100mg with no problems. My doctor added this medication bc I have frequent seizures and my other medications are not as "fast acting" as Vimpat.”

Nonnie January 1, 2020

For Seizures: “Was on Keppra for a long time and introduced to Vimpat along with it. The side effects for Keppra almost blinded me and I went off of it and only take Vimpat now. Didn't realize how brutal the headaches were on Keppra until I stopped the Keppra. Vimpat works for me and keeps the seizures away.”

TheBlackCat November 21, 2019

For Seizures: “Horrible drug. I had nausea & threw up several times - taking it with food did not prevent this. I was on both Vimpat & Keppra at the same time (I was being weaned off Keppra then). For the first 3 weeks I would take both at the same time. When I would take them both I would end up with heart palpitations and I don't even have heart problems! I looked it up online since there was nothing about this in Vimpat's information pamphlet. When I did it said that heart palpitations are more likely to occur if you take Vimpat with Keppra. There is NOTHING about this interaction in either drug's information pamphlet. There should be. My neurologist didn't even know there was an interaction. I found out because I typed in "Vimpat Heart Palpitations" on Google. It was listed on a medical website. If the information I read is online why isn't it in the information pamphlets for both drugs? I had to take the Vimpat and Keppra separately, 5 hours apart, to avoid this ugly cross interaction.”

Jam · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 6, 2019

For Epilepsy: “I take 100mg bd for approx 7 months. Seizures (night time) are not controlled (every 2 weeks) although it may happen if the dose gets increased. Side effects are ok however I now have an occurring pain in the heart and this starts a confusion/risk on whether the dose should be raised. Another side effect is short term memory loss although not enough to be concerned at present. My choice now seems to raise the dose or change to another medication with Brivaracetam in mind.”

Aweeeztx · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 12, 2019

For Seizures: “I have been taking Vimpat 400mg / day for a year and Keppra 3000 mg/day for five years. Yes, this combination stopped my grand Mal seizures completely. That's great . However, the side effects are EXTREME and Vimpat will BANKRUPT you . You have to weigh the benefits and downsides before you jump in. The price of Vimpat is $1,000 per month thanks to UCB, the maker.”

Glynda · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 1, 2019

For Seizures: “Had a TBI and as a result was experiencing grandmal as well as partial seizures. Tried a series of medications from dilantin, Keppra, zonegran, and then my neurologist placed me on a regimen of topiramate and Vimpat. The topiramate has stopped the tonic clinic seizures and the Vimpat has been a miracle. Unfortunately I might be losing Medicare part D help and won't be able to afford the Vimpat. Has anyone has any issues with weaning themselves from this medication?”

Rosiemckvr · Taken for 10 years or more September 29, 2019

For Epilepsy: “I’ve taken this since the human trials (US) & at first it worked but only stopping my auras. I’m so drugged after my doses I can barely stay awake & that’s my worst side effect other than not helping my seizures much.”

paulplj20024 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 27, 2019

For Epilepsy: “For the last 16months I have taking Vimpat 200 mg. 2x/day. Oxcarbazepine 600mg 2x/day, Keppra 500mg. 2x/day and Dilantin ER 300mg at bedtime. The most difficult to adjust to is Vimpat. It makes me feel like I got A BUZZ for 3 to 4 hrs after taking it, then I feel sleepy after about 3 hrs and I take about A 2 hr nap everyday. When I first started on vimpat I was very sick to my stomach and sometimes would throw up until I started eating something light about an hour before taking it. This also helped reduce the feeling of a "buzz" as well. After 30 to 40 days of taking it my body adjust to it, and know I'm ok. I still get that "buzz" feeling most of the time and have talked to my Dr about it. Nothing could be done regarding the buzz feeling she said its just a side affect. Vimpat is a good med as long as its used with another.”

Tootsy · Taken for less than 1 month September 14, 2019

For Epilepsy: “I’ve been on Vimpat for a week, I’ve experienced burning on my tongue and throat, and have a rash on my legs , I’m only taking 50mg twice a day. ”

Sally · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 6, 2019

For Seizures: “I have been taking Vimpat for a while now and had a lot of these symptoms listed below. Tiredness, dizziness, headaches, double vision, loss of balance, feeling faint, shaky/trembling, nausea, shortness of breath, pounding heart beat, trouble sleeping, dark urine, irritability, panic attacks, worsen anxiety, memory issues, ringing in the ears, can't find the word when speaking, weight gain, nervous tics,and itching. On top of that my seizure activity seemed to increase, not decrease. I have told my doctor over and over again and she told me to increase the dosage! Then, the doctor tried to push the VNS surgery on me. I thought about it at first, but I have not read the best reviews on that either. I feel like she is shoving Vimpat and VNS surgery down my throat so she can get kick backs from the pharmaceutical companies.”

Seizure Guy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 31, 2019

For Seizures: “This drug works excellent at controlling seizures. I haven't had a seizure since I titrated to the max dose 10 months ago. However , it had some serious side effects and is unbelievably expensive and will bankrupt you. I'm also on 3,000 mg Keppra . Good luck”

Jen June 26, 2019

For Epilepsy: “I have Grand Mal seizures, and once I started taking Vimpat, I am almost 100% seizure free”

K8ttemple · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2019

For Seizures: “Vimpat has been prescribed for seizures. I had been on Topamax and lamictal for years. The Vimpat is taking the place of the Topamax. Side affects of Topamax were unbearable- poor word retrieval, tremors, and weight loss. Since the medication change (2 months ago) I am dealing with extreme short term memory loss, and weight gain. I’ve had no seizures and love the fact that word retrieval is easier (but not fully resolved). I feel vain but the weight gain is a problem for me. Is anyone dealing with weight gain too? What about short term memory issues?”

kittykat · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 26, 2019

For Seizures: “I just started this medicine after I got a phase 2 surgery. It has helped with the longevity of the seizure but it hasn't stopped them. I have now noticed the side effects of it my hair is turning white and breaking easily, the vertigo and nausea if I don't eat enough by the second dose. My eyes and urine have darken not to mention I have to use the restroom a million times a day. I don't know if I should stay on it or go ahead and get off?”

Jenee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 20, 2019

For Epilepsy: “I’ve been taking Vimpat for about 7 months maybe. This would be my fifth medication switch for my epilepsy and I have found one that finally works. I do still have seizures but not nearly as bad as before so I’m excited! The side effects I have noticed would be itchy skin, numbness and tingling of extremities, fatigue for sure, crazy weight gain, migraines. I think those are the ones that are the most aggravating. BUT my seizures are better so you have to take the good with the bad I guess. If I could get the weight gain to stop I can live with the rest.”

Bj · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 22, 2019

For Seizures: “I have only been on vimpat for a month. So far I love it. No real side effects. I haven't had any partial seizures. The most wonderful thing, not sure its the vimpat but not sure what else it could be, is that I have not had migraines. My migraines were very similar to my partial seizures... no headache... but speech and cognitive issues. Was having either migraines or partials almost daily. Nothing. And nothing helped. So happy. Hope it holds true!!”

Allie · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 2, 2019

For Seizures: “Vimpat has been the best drug that I have been on for almost 3 years to help with my Seizures, and has worked well after all of the other medications that my Doctor has tried before this.”

16WithA100Conditions · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2018

For Seizures: “I’ve been on a lot of seizure medication and only one works for me. My neuro thought it would be a good idea to try this because it also treats nerve pain. I was advised to 1/2 a 50mg. I took it and less than an hour later I felt drunk. I didn’t trust myself to get up and when I did everything was intense. My face flushed. I had a hive on my face. I was anxious. Agitated. The worst of all: My breathing was shallow & my O2 level was lower I couldn’t get it above 95-96. This lasted throughout the night. The morning I woke up with negative feelings. It was to the point I was concerned. After the whole drugs life, I still feel a mild mental effect from it less than a week later. My seizures were no better nor worse. (I’ll give it that.) I wish I hadn’t have taken this medication even at 25mg.”

Seezy November 13, 2018

For Seizures: “Vimpat 200 mg. 2x/day. 10 mg clobazam 1x day. Vimpat is a honeymoon drug, it works great for a few years and then: -ringing in ears ( highly manageable) -insomnia. -Memory issues! -laziness sets in, everything is a chore! For people using Vimpat in their 50’s you will eventually experience all the above especially if on max dosage. Your biggest complaint will be SHORT TERM MEMORY LOSS! AND INABILITY TO ARTICULATE YOURSELF PROPERLY. You will be looking at a bunch of documents you were working on just the day before and can’t remember what they are for! Names of people and thoughts SHOT! I am severely disappointed with Vimpat, I thought I finally hit the right drug therapy but I guess good things must come to end. I would appreciate if anyone can suggest something new and shiny for complex partials. Btw, titration is highly unpleasant. You might have self harm ideations as well! Try to take really early in the am and on the dot at night. A very pricey drug!”

Blossom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 25, 2018

For Seizures: “Vimpat has also saved me. I have tried nearly all the anti seizure medications. Most of them had side effects ranging from dry mouth to memory loss where I have not been able to remember friends names or common words. The main problem was that I had to increase to such high levels that they were unsafe or my body seemed to develop a tolerance. I have been on Vimpat for nearly a year now with very few of my symptoms which is amazing because without medication I would have problems every 1-2 minutes. The side effects are virtually negligible. My tongue and lips are a little numb when I take the tablets and I get headaches when the medication is altered. The major problem is the cost!”

Tuck · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 10, 2018

For Seizures: “Saved my life. I've been on almost every single available seizure medication over 8+ years. Multiple pills at one time at large doses each...I've already slit my wrist because of my life and horrible medications. This one has finally ended my suffering. I can finally go to sleep at night without the fear of waking up covered in vomit and blood and forgetting who I am.”