User Reviews for Ketamine to treat Anesthesia

Also known as: Ketalar

Ketamine has an average rating of 3.3 out of 10 from a total of 36 ratings for the treatment of Anesthesia. 25% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 75% reported a negative effect.

Ketamine Rating Summary

3.3/10 average rating

Compare all 286 medications used in the treatment of Anesthesia.

Reviews for Ketamine

Shabby_Chick January 14, 2021

“I pondered whether I should even post this or not, because it sounds so unbelievable, but it really did happened. I had my medi-port placed on January 11th. For some reason, this particular anesthesiologist used the drug Ketamine to put me to sleep. (Which I found out later) The only problem, is that I wasn’t really asleep. I was paralyzed. No matter how much I tried screaming for help, I couldn’t. I began to see things very differently too. Almost like I was in a kaleidoscope, or looking at it in 3-D. I could hear and see the nurses and doctors around me, but they all looked upside down. It’s as if I wasn’t in my own body. It’s like I stuck in some tunnel. There were so many colors too. I felt as though I was dying, and there was nothing I could do about it. It absolutely was the most horrifying experience I’ve ever had. Has anyone else experienced this ?? I’m just trying find answers as to what happened. It will haunt me the rest of my life.”

Ubi Dubium · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

“I was in for a gallbladder removal, not an emergency. The Anesthesia team decided to do an awake intubation because I have a difficult airway. They said they were giving me something to help me relax. What happened next was the farthest thing from relaxing I can imagine. One dose of Ketamine and I was hallucinating, dissociated, delirious, paralyzed, and the one trace of lucidity that I retained told me that I was end of life because I couldn't breathe. I had no sense of time passing, so I have no idea how long this lasted. It was the most terrifyingly awful experience I have ever had, and I'm still an emotional mess two weeks later. Never again! Why would anybody ever dose a non-emergency patient with this stuff without extensive consultation about the effects beforehand? If I could give this drug a negative score, I would.”

Gadget March 2, 2021

“This is really hard for me to tell this : On February 25th 2021, I went to the hospital emergency room with severe stomach pain. They took me straight back to a room, I tell the nurse that I'm allergic to morphine and I'm also allergic to the Valium, I specifically said to the nurse that I do not want any high narcotics, she injected some type of medication into my IV that sent me straight into a nightmare state, I remember seeing a black and white psychedelic light I remember laying on the table and watching doctors cut me open I watch people with weird faces screaming and yelling at me. I have seen people eating other people I remember seeing a cross of Jesus and asking Jesus to save me from the depth of this nightmare, I went through so many stages of unpleasantness on this drug, now I can't sleep because every time I close my eyes I see the same thing over and over again. Ketamine has taken a psychological effect on me . I got this drug one time from the ER.”

Never Again May 6, 2020

“I dislocated my elbow & went to ER. They decided to give me something to put me lightly to sleep but not totally under while adjusting my elbow. They chose ketamine since I have low blood pressure & this drug doesn’t lower blood pressure as much as other options. They said I would remember nothing. Hardly! Such a terrible experience. As soon as it was administered I felt a rush of heat through my body, then felt as if I was in a kaleidoscope, only all white. I was in space while various shapes continued to change & fall around me. I heard many voices all at once. I was in another dimension & thought that I had died. I wondered if this was eternity & I could not escape. I wanted it all to stop so badly as my perceptions just continually changed around me. I finally heard the doctors/nurses talking amongst themselves & felt gauze being wrapped around my elbow. I definitely remembered enough of it to know it was a horrific experience & I’ll make note not to EVER have this drug again.”

Lobo · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2021

“I agree with those of you that had a horrific, haunting experience from ketamine in Jan 2021. It was the worst experience of my life. I received it in an ambulance when they had to reset my dislocated ankle. It separates your mind from your body but your thinking is still lucid. I was trapped in a never ending tunnel that was spinning and I was endlessly falling with a tortuous loud, fluttery ringing in my ears that was driving me crazy. "I remember thinking, so this is death, I must not have survived the fall and I have to be like this for eternity". The gut wrenching sadness of knowing that I was dead was overwhelming and I was upset I didn't get to say goodbye to my children. Then when I was waking up, I would answer questions. My mouth moved but it took a few seconds for the sound of my words to catch up. I still get very upset just thinking about it but the Drs just laughed it off. The relief to find out I had not died was indescribable.”

Bulldog March 23, 2019

“I went to the closest E.R suffering from an anal abscess; so EXTREME pain & suffering. Once diagnosed I waited 10 hours, for them to take me into O.R. where they attempted to give me an epidural but couldn't because I could not sit properly. Then, completely out of nowhere , they give me Ketamine. This was, without a shadow of a doubt , THE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE--I FELT EVERY OUNCE OF THE PAIN PHYSICALLY & TRULY THOUGHT THE DOCS HAD MESSED UP & THAT I HAD DIED ; THIS LASTED FOR ALMOST 5 HOURS & I'M STILL HAVING TERRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS - I'M REALLY PISSED BECAUSE I WAS NOT TOLD THAT THEY WERE GOING TO USE THIS STUFF ON ME- I THOUGHT THEY WOULD HAVE USED A GENERAL ANESTHETIC & I WOULD HAVE BEEN UNCONSCIOUS THROUGHOUT THE PROCEDURE ; INSTEAD I WAS AWAKE BUT PARALYZED , NOT SEDATED !”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2020

“The worst surgical experience of my life as a result of Ketamine. I went into a dissociative state that was terrifying. There was a lot of break through pain that was excruciating and I heard myself screaming for help. The procedure seemed to last for hours and ultimately I thought I was never going to wake up from the nightmare and I wanted to be unplugged so I could die and finally escape the nightmare.”

rubysfolly July 17, 2011

“I have M.S and a syrinx, have had neuropathic pain for 17 yrs. Neurontin being the only thing that helped, but even it didn't remove much of the pain. I have now had Ketamine twice. The first time was I.V. It removed 90% of my neuroppathic pain and lasted for about 8 months. When the pain came back I was shocked at how bad it was. I have just finished my 2nd dose this time I was given it subcutaneously. I have only the smallest amount of neuropathic pain left. The whole thing went very well so now when the pain is back I will go back and have another infusion. This time I only have a very small amount of pain left. I feel this has been the biggest thing that has helped my quality of life. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.”

Country girl August 31, 2019

“I was given this for a EGD, I was hullicinating, felt weighed down like I was in cement, couldn't move my limbs ,couldn't talk, very nauseous, horrible experience it lasted for almost an hour, was the next day before I really felt over it..never again!!!!!”

Not Ross Geller · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2019

Ketalar (ketamine): “I was given Ketamine in the ER. I was extremely nervous but the doctor assured me it was a low dose and that I would be fine so I agreed to try it. It did relieve my pain for about an hour. It made me feel strange but the worst started later that night. I got extremely vivid, frightening dreams of my family being assaulted, my house burning down, and several other of my worst fears. For about 48 hours after taking this med I felt very nauseous, and deathly exhausted as if I had been drugged. The next day I napped on and off all day, I could not stay awake, and every time I fell back asleep the horrifying dreams came again, and then again the next night although to a somewhat lesser extent. By the third night after, the distressing nightmares were gone for the most part and the sick feeling subsided, I assume the drug had cleared out of my system by then. It was not worth it for me and I highly doubt that I would take Ketamine again.”

bitch 2 · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2015

“I was given Ketamine for out patient surgery. Never again will I agree to this anesthesia. I had the worst experience, I am positive I died and made myself come back! I was paralyzed body and voice. I finally let out a awful scream, hoping the doctors and nurses would hear, but I could tell they didn't. I am so mad, furious is the word, that they used it without letting me know the side effects. I am home now, but I still have nightmares of that terrible experience!”

GdGram2 · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2017

“I was taken to the ER with a dislocated shoulder... severe pain. I was given this drug so they could put the shoulder back into place, and had some of the same reactions described as others as having horrific hallucinations, trying to wake myself up, moving my head and talking and yelling. Nurses holding me still and saying it is almost over. Why is this still being used as an anesthetic when there are so many others out there? This is going on my list of allergies right next to the Iodine allergy.”

Bittywit · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2015

“Having both Post traumatic stress disorder and chronic severe back pain due to 2 unsuccessful back surgeries, I was the perfect candidate for anesthesia using ketamine for my last 3 surgeries. For both the PTSD and chronic back pain, symptomolgy has been reduced by at least 75%. I could not be happier! Finally and again!”

Roberta · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2021

“I was given this along with Versad for surgery on my eye. Never have I felt this good in my life. I’ve got anxiety, and it’s hard for me to relax, so most of the stuff they usually give doesn’t work well.”

Marshall Stak July 18, 2020

“Suffered an acute pneaumothorax and was rushed in to OR to have a tube inserted into the side of my chest. Was told I'd be receiving ketamine to put me under. Reading the experiences here by others appear to be in stark contrast to mine as I rather enjoyed the technicolor dream state I was in. After coming out from the effect, I noted to myself that this would make for a rather entertaining recreational drug. lol”

AussieFX · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2015

“I was given Ketamine along with propofol to induce anaesthesia for a recent operation and never again. I experienced acute dysphoria and felt like I was going to die. Never again, this drug is bad news. I've now had 35 major surgeries and this was the first time ketamine was used. Also had very low BP on waking. It seems to be the new in-thing drug. No idea why all of a sudden it's become popular?”

Hallucinations · Taken for less than 1 month June 29, 2017

“Used in conjunction with having a spinal tap during artery disease surgery nursing staff referred to my experience upon awaking in recovery as "NITE TERRORS" I had horrific hallucinations of violently spinning photo graphs that made me scream, cry huge tears, yell obscenities, repeatedly say I wanted to kill myself, or die, and yelling I would be afraid to go to sleep again. Nurses had to take my face and tell me over and over it would be over soon. Had I not had a spinal and couldn't move I fear I would have deliberately hurt myself.”

JRJAMJ August 4, 2021

“I was given ketamine for a nerve ablation in my lumbar spine and had horrific hallucinations, not sure if I felt pain and screamed out or was dreaming but I remember the Dr saying that's not supposed to happen and could hear the nurses talking. It took me forever to "wake up". The nurse felt I was given too much as I was so dizzy and numb, my eyeballs felt like balloons about to pop out of my head, my head felt like a heavy balloon my neck couldn't support and could barely talk an hour later. I spent over an hour and a half in recovery when they had to finally let me go. My husband had to support me I was so dizzy and my legs were like noodles. It has been days now and I feel like crud. Can't concentrate, my entire body aches so bad and the dreams, no, the nightmares - planes crashing around the house, house being burned down, being hunted by gang or some sort of bad people then I'm so freaked out I can't sleep and depression. I feel so depressed and I have never felt like this before.”

No ketamine for me!!!!! · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2017

“Woke up from anesthesia with headache, extremely dizzy, and unable to coordinate my eyes together. I could not sleep for 32 hours. Two days after surgery I started having heart palpitations and seeing flashes in one eye. I needed to be checked with EKG and eyes checked for possible tear of the retina. It took 10 days for dizziness and eye coordination to return to normal.”

Unhappy Lady · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2020

“I had extremely adverse reaction to ketamine so asked the anesthesiologist what drug it was this morning when I saw him so I NEVER get it again. Was actually supposed to go home yesterday after a routine arthroscope of knee. I woke up from the procedure with Hallucinations and screaming the "I AM DYING, I AM DYING". They then had to give me Ativan to calm me down and caused my vitals to go crazy. Horrendous experience - can't believe this drug is still being used.”

Archie August 6, 2020

Ketalar (ketamine): “I was given Ketamine as a general anaesthetic for a surgical procedure but the recovery from the Ketamine was truly horrendous. I had abdominal hallucinations that I was about the die and called aloud to God to save me from imminent death. So bad a terrifying was the experience that I had a Medi-bracelet made with Ketamine clearly listed as "never to be given".”

Grandpart May 2, 2021

“Cardio version Dr. said this was the only drug they could give me because my blood pressure was low! When administered immediately went out. There was a loud siren to begin with no wailing. Then there was siren wailing. I saw pictures, like a tv screen, the picture would begin at the bottom and explode at the top and I would begin again at the bottom I felt as if I died with the explosion (the end of the picture) and born at the the beginning of the new photo The screen / photo and the sound would crescendo at the explosion The explosion was a bright light Screen after screen sometimes a plant or building or person, siren after siren, life to death, over and over, I tried to stop myself from waking up! Depressed for 3 weeks now. The worst experience of my life!”

Gasby September 28, 2017

“I had a severe reaction to Ketamine which included horrifying hallucinations, and instead of knocking me out, I tried to move during the procedure, and didn't stop talking throughout the entire procedure.”

Nordic female · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 13, 2021

Ketalar (ketamine): “I was administered ketamine before surgery in 2020 to repair a broken arm and install a metal plate. It was a horrendous experience that left me with lasting terrifying images and strong suicidal thoughts that have endured for more than one year. I am alarmed by medical people who are advocating use of this drug.”

Alex59 May 25, 2016

“Ketamine was used as anisthetic a few times whilst I was having surgery and I had very bad hallucinations afterwards. Each time I'd have sworn these were real I don't think it should be used as anisthetic”