User Reviews for Ketamine

Pain  Off-label
6.4

Reviews for Ketamine

Grandpart May 2, 2021

For Anesthesia: “Cardio version Dr. said this was the only drug they could give me because my blood pressure was low! When administered immediately went out. There was a loud siren to begin with no wailing. Then there was siren wailing. I saw pictures, like a tv screen, the picture would begin at the bottom and explode at the top and I would begin again at the bottom I felt as if I died with the explosion (the end of the picture) and born at the the beginning of the new photo The screen / photo and the sound would crescendo at the explosion The explosion was a bright light Screen after screen sometimes a plant or building or person, siren after siren, life to death, over and over, I tried to stop myself from waking up! Depressed for 3 weeks now. The worst experience of my life!”

Lobo · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2021

For Anesthesia: “I agree with those of you that had a horrific, haunting experience from ketamine in Jan 2021. It was the worst experience of my life. I received it in an ambulance when they had to reset my dislocated ankle. It separates your mind from your body but your thinking is still lucid. I was trapped in a never ending tunnel that was spinning and I was endlessly falling with a tortuous loud, fluttery ringing in my ears that was driving me crazy. "I remember thinking, so this is death, I must not have survived the fall and I have to be like this for eternity". The gut wrenching sadness of knowing that I was dead was overwhelming and I was upset I didn't get to say goodbye to my children. Then when I was waking up, I would answer questions. My mouth moved but it took a few seconds for the sound of my words to catch up. I still get very upset just thinking about it but the Drs just laughed it off. The relief to find out I had not died was indescribable.”

Jess April 26, 2021

For Anesthesia: “First I want to say I am so sorry to anyone that has posted a traumatic experience from this drug and that are still living in fear. Please seek a trauma therapist so that you can process what happened and get some normal back in your life. There is hope and it is possible. I had a similar experience with zoloft that left me traumatized and gave me PTSD. After a year therapy I am doing much better. As far as my experience with Ketamine. It was good. Surgery went well and I have no memory of it. However, I know I was given propranolol and versed first... maybe that makes a difference. I am unsure if any of you had just straight Ketamine. This is something I would recommend asking before any surgery is what types will be given and possible side effects so you can be in control of an informed decision. Good luck to all of you out there with trauma!”

Mom of the deceased February 8, 2018

For Pain: “My daughter took Ketamine for depression. She received her first infusion on a Sunday. She had hallucinations of killing herself, stomping herself to death and other things she wouldn't talk about. She had her second infusion three days later, with the same results. Thursday she took her own life.”

Eislemike February 2, 2018

For Pain: “The started getting Ketamine infusions for depression 12 months ago. Since then with surprisingly little effort I have: gone from drinking almost every day to never drinking, from exercising never to exercising twice a day, I had been rarely brushing to brushing, flossing, waterpicking, and mouthwash twice a day. I’ve started investing, almost doubled my salary, started walking the dog every day, went from a slob to a clean house, I am now eating healthy every day, have lost 20 lbs and am happier than I’ve been in 20 years. I get an infusion about once every 75 days.”

Shabby_Chick January 14, 2021

For Anesthesia: “I pondered whether I should even post this or not, because it sounds so unbelievable, but it really did happened. I had my medi-port placed on January 11th. For some reason, this particular anesthesiologist used the drug Ketamine to put me to sleep. (Which I found out later) The only problem, is that I wasn’t really asleep. I was paralyzed. No matter how much I tried screaming for help, I couldn’t. I began to see things very differently too. Almost like I was in a kaleidoscope, or looking at it in 3-D. I could hear and see the nurses and doctors around me, but they all looked upside down. It’s as if I wasn’t in my own body. It’s like I stuck in some tunnel. There were so many colors too. I felt as though I was dying, and there was nothing I could do about it. It absolutely was the most horrifying experience I’ve ever had. Has anyone else experienced this ?? I’m just trying find answers as to what happened. It will haunt me the rest of my life.”

P · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2020

“I have Depression + Personality disorder. I've always felt there was something extra in my head, almost as if there were two consciousnesses tugging and pulling with every thought. I put it down to me "Just being me" since focus has been an issue throughout my entire life. I would fixate on relatively benign thoughts and create a reality based around them. I used ketamine to separate those two fighting personalities, brokering a peace between them; and to revisit past traumas through CBT. For the first time in my entire life it feels as if my thoughts are aligned with my actions. I'm not anchored on the past or waiting on the future - I'm just present.”

Morebrainpainnogain · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 15, 2019

For Pain: “I was treated at a ketamine clinic in Feb 2018 for CRPS (chronic regional pain syndrome) with 3 - 4 hour relatively high dose infusions while monitored every minute. My depression abated after treatment 1. The treatments were 48 hours apart and I felt good going into treatment 2 with only mild anxiety. After sleeping off the treatment for about 18 hours I was nearly pain free. After the third I was pain free. That remained the case for 4 months when I went for a four hour booster. Pain free for several months. Then another booster and again I was ok. I’ve not been able to afford to go back and the pain and depression resulting from it have completely trashed my life. It is morally reprehensible that the FDA doesn’t make this treatment easier to obtain with more support to doctors so market factors would lower the prices. Thank you for listening.”

C11 February 6, 2020

“I've had severe depression for 10 years, trying every antidepressant available before about a year ago my psychiatrist prescribed ketamine compounds. These are very hard to come by, and the studies are very new. You definitely want insurance with this, or else it's about $1,000 out of pocket per dose. However, it has been the only, and I mean the only, effective antidepressant that I have come across. I've probably tried at least 20 different medications on the market. But this had significantly improved all aspects of my functioning. I can finally breathe again, I can finally get somewhere in my life, I can finally start on my career, and I can finally process the trauma I've been through. Now, this medication is only temporary. Eventually you will have to wean onto another medication or no medication, and I'm in the process of that. So far so good!”

Kibz · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 9, 2020

“Ketamine changed my life and I believe that it has given me the help I need to feel better. I have PTSD and MDD. It helps me so much with my depression so fast more so than any other medication. It helps me get through my day even with the crippling pain of depression and other trauma. I'm noticing less symptoms of my PTSD since taking ketamine in fact maybe almost no symptoms. Without it I maybe wouldn't even be here today. This medication saved my life and also helped me with the severe pain I had when I injured my knee. I felt almost no pain at all thanks to the ketamine!”

TBeeGee January 18, 2020

“I have a long history of depression and anxiety. I've been on anti-depressants for over 20 years. I've gone through traditional therapy, EMDR, RRT, and tried things like meditation, acupuncture and hypnosis. After a very rough holiday season, my husband talked me into trying Ketamine. We found a specialist and I went through the 6 treatments over 2 weeks. It's been a week since we finished. For me the treatments started to work after the 3rd one. I have started feeling things again, hope, calm. I'm laughing again. The numb feeling is gone. I do want to say the first treatment was beautiful and brutal. It felt like a trust fall. There were some cathartic hallucinations, but it felt like I couldn't move. There was a two day headache after. For the next treatments, we were very careful to have the room as quiet and dark as possible. My husband made playlists of soothing instrumental music. That worked.”

Anne · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2019

“I have struggled with treatment resistant depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, autoimmune issues and nerve related symptoms, I have been on so many meds and I tried TMS last year which didn't help so I decided to try ketamine. I have completed two infusions. I tried tapering off my antidepressants for the first infusion felt more depressed the next day. However, after restarting the meds and having another infusion, I feel more energy and less depression now two days after. Both infusions were unpleasant experiences for me. They were interesting--like being in another parallel realm, or like the end of life, but I cried and felt depressed and deflated after each treatment (apparently this is NOT the norm). Those experiences were worth it as I feel a significant change after the second treatment. I hope this change will continue.”

Gracie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 20, 2019

“I researched ketamine treatment for PTSD as I was not having any success with medications or therapy . I was sensitive to taking a daily med as some made me anxious and caused too many side effects. I will say it was an experience that made me face the PTSD and yet put me in a safe place . It’s hard to explain but there was a picture of the ocean in the office and I focused on that during my first IV treatment and it felt like freedom. It was life changing but we also have to put in our own work to stay away from trauma triggers. It was worth every cent ! I wish others knew about this . It’s important that you go to an office that has a relaxing room to do the IV treatment as it’s extremely beneficial to focus on safe imagery during the treatment .”

mtnguy July 18, 2020

“So I have been on Ketamine for Complex PTSD, Depression for Ten months doing IV infusion treatment. It is likely that ketamine saved me from suicide and I am absolutely certain has brought immense relief from the behaviors resulting from my disease. It has been only modestly effective against anxiety. The dissociative effects are pronounced but rarely unpleasant. If I begin an infusion in a bad mood then the dissociative effects are more difficult to tolerate but not off-putting. A dose of Versed before starting the IV moderates intensity of dissociative effects. Improvement was noted by my family after 3 months but I did not "feel" a difference until about eight months. After several trials, I found 0.35mg/kg in 100ml saline to be the best tolerated mix during the infusion, which also encouraged me to stay the course until positive effect was noted. The cost of ketamine was $15 total for each IV plus physician charges.”

SHMEH · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

For Pain: “My personal experience with ketamine after a urethra procedure was absolutely life changing. Not only was my pain under control but it had underlying side effects I did not expect. The experience alone put me in a state of pure..... bliss. Honestly idk how else to explain it. I whole heartedly believe this drug could and should be utilized for a whole array of uses. I suffer from a lot of mental and physical conditions. With one happenstance of receiving this drug, my conditions had been lessened to completely gone. If It was used and available for therapeutic purposes this drug could completely change so many people's lives. I honestly get enraged that really the only reason Ketamine and other medications that are considered "Taboo" are not being utilized as much as they should because of the pharmaceutical companies and governmental agencies not wanting 100% of PEOPLE, to get better, be happy, have access to living good, comfortable, bearable, productive lives.”

Chronic Pain Suffer · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 1, 2019

For Pain: “Have had (8) spinal surgeries since 2009, so live with a great deal of pain. Years of pain meds were affecting my liver function and not providing much relief. Found a pain doctor who uses ketamine infusion therapy. Had some crazy experiences in the beginning doing ketamine IV infusions, but worked my way through the dreams and hallucinations as I knew that I must get off the meds affecting my liver and I needed better pain control. I’ve been receiving ketamine iv infusion therapy 4 days a month for the last 3 years as well taking oral ketamine daily and it has made a world of difference in my life! I can do things now that I would never have been able to do before. I’m off 6 other meds and my liver is doing much better now! Ketamine has been a great way to help with my chronic pain condition. My insurance covers the Ketamine IV infusion therapy, but I do have to pay for my oral Ketamine out of pocket. I had a bumpy start but stuck with it and am so glad I did!”

Jc · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2020

“ketamine has been a life changer for me and my depression. I've had severe depression since 1992 and have been on many combinations. I use the nasal spray. It took about 2 weeks before I started to feel the depression lifting.”

Amber · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2019

“I have treatment resistant severe depression and anxiety, have tried several meds and got to try ketamine 1st infusion- peaceful calming, I felt floaty & satisfied. I had the k hole effect but I was not scared or worried by it, it was peaceful & my mom was with me holding my hand through the entire session which made a huge positive difference. I focused as hard as I could on positive thoughts and effects that I want. After I felt wobbly like I had 2/3 glasses of wine for an 1 hr then back to normal- I cleaned my house, cooked, played with my baby, walked the dogs! big accomplishments! The next day was not as productive but I still got showered, got dressed, did normal things the whole day instead of just barely being able to take care of my baby and not myself. I slept. No nightmares. 8 hours sleep & 7 hours sleep on the two nights.”

Gadget March 2, 2021

For Anesthesia: “This is really hard for me to tell this : On February 25th 2021, I went to the hospital emergency room with severe stomach pain. They took me straight back to a room, I tell the nurse that I'm allergic to morphine and I'm also allergic to the Valium, I specifically said to the nurse that I do not want any high narcotics, she injected some type of medication into my IV that sent me straight into a nightmare state, I remember seeing a black and white psychedelic light I remember laying on the table and watching doctors cut me open I watch people with weird faces screaming and yelling at me. I have seen people eating other people I remember seeing a cross of Jesus and asking Jesus to save me from the depth of this nightmare, I went through so many stages of unpleasantness on this drug, now I can't sleep because every time I close my eyes I see the same thing over and over again. Ketamine has taken a psychological effect on me . I got this drug one time from the ER.”

Jonny Rocket · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2016

For Pain: “I actually take it for chronic depression. I was amazed at the improvement in made in my mood and generate outlook in life. I feel as though I have been given a second chance at life. One side effect that I noticed is that it improved my faith in a higher being (God) or who ever you wish to call him/her. Surprisingly not uncommon for this medication.”

Qazwsx · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 2, 2021

For Pain: “Ketamine saved my life, relationship, and career. Autonomic Neurological dysfunction left me in pain and not able to function as I once had. Depression and anxiety intensified trying to find a diagnosis. After 6 infusions my mood has lifted and I don’t dwell on pain. I cannot imagine why this isn’t a standard protocol for depression, anxiety, and pain.”

Looking 4 relief since 1994 · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2019

For Pain: “I have severe fibro, CRPS (chronic regional pain syndrome, depression & anxiety that has gotten so bad over the years I can barely walk or move w/o extreme pain (even touching my skin hurts!) When your finally offered something that might help you when nothing else has, you jump at it! Taking lozenges right now & want 2 do IV treatment. Not been on long but so far no real side effects. Not everything works for everybody, if you take everything away just because some people had issues with it... Well than there would be no medicine at all! Don't try 2 slam on or get rid of the 1 & only hope some people have!”

Polly · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2018

For Pain: “I have used this for depression and chronic pain. I’ve had the IV and the dose was small. Anyway, the relief from the pain is fairly immediate and it’s such a relief to have no pain for 45 minutes. Amazing! For the depression, it’s really interesting. It doesn’t seem to take it away but it makes me feel better enough that my life is better and I feel generally cheerful and content and I don’t have to fake it like I normally do. That’s also a huge relief. I’ve not had any bad side effects so far. That’s probably because it’s very carefully supervised. I highly recommend trying it.”

WORST · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2019

“Taking ketimine was the worst mistake I made. My depression got increasingly worse. From vary rare thoughts of suicide to more regular thoughts. Still want too. I took the 2 week every other day treatment. I hated being that high. I would sob after treatment. Something I never really had thoughts that severe before. I was NOT anywhere this severe before the ketamine. I was moderately depressed. Now I am suicidal every single day. Now has been 3 days since the last treatment. Finding this forum and know there are others is such a relief. My doctor continued to tell me to keep doing treatment even though it was making me incredibly suicidal.”

Campinghippie May 17, 2020

For Pain: “Ketamine has been a game changer for me. I take the pill powder form and it has helped with my nerve pain greatly. It was a long process getting to the right dose. You have to go slow to see how you tolerate it but when you get there it's amazing. It has also made my whole life better; it's made me happier and helped my depression as well. A very happy surprise. It has worked better than any medicine that I have tried so far from my psychiatrist. All this being said I really don't think it is for everyone it is a trial and error and it's if your body and if your mind can take it. But if it can it is an amazing drug. There is no withdrawal. You can skip days without Jonesing for it like all the different opioids out there. I had some major surgeries and was on opioids and needed them for the pain but hated being on them and then one of the surgeons messed up and now I have severe nerve pain, likely for the rest of my life, and opioids worked but I did not want to take them.”

Ubi Dubium · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

For Anesthesia: “I was in for a gallbladder removal, not an emergency. The Anesthesia team decided to do an awake intubation because I have a difficult airway. They said they were giving me something to help me relax. What happened next was the farthest thing from relaxing I can imagine. One dose of Ketamine and I was hallucinating, dissociated, delirious, paralyzed, and the one trace of lucidity that I retained told me that I was end of life because I couldn't breathe. I had no sense of time passing, so I have no idea how long this lasted. It was the most terrifyingly awful experience I have ever had, and I'm still an emotional mess two weeks later. Never again! Why would anybody ever dose a non-emergency patient with this stuff without extensive consultation about the effects beforehand? If I could give this drug a negative score, I would.”

Never Again May 6, 2020

For Anesthesia: “I dislocated my elbow & went to ER. They decided to give me something to put me lightly to sleep but not totally under while adjusting my elbow. They chose ketamine since I have low blood pressure & this drug doesn’t lower blood pressure as much as other options. They said I would remember nothing. Hardly! Such a terrible experience. As soon as it was administered I felt a rush of heat through my body, then felt as if I was in a kaleidoscope, only all white. I was in space while various shapes continued to change & fall around me. I heard many voices all at once. I was in another dimension & thought that I had died. I wondered if this was eternity & I could not escape. I wanted it all to stop so badly as my perceptions just continually changed around me. I finally heard the doctors/nurses talking amongst themselves & felt gauze being wrapped around my elbow. I definitely remembered enough of it to know it was a horrific experience & I’ll make note not to EVER have this drug again.”

Joanna October 27, 2019

“After spending thousands on therapy and meds in attempts to function with my debilitating Complex PTSD. The doctor recommended the standard 6 treatments but said some of her patients only need 4, and we would know by 4 if I was responding. I did mine very close together, within a week, and it changed my life. I stopped having nightmares, fatigue, disassociation. I was able to retain new information again and be more productive at work and school. I got a booster at 3 months (which we expected since I didn’t need all 6 initially) and she feels I may not need another for 6 months bc I’ve responded so well. I don’t love the trip during the infusion as I tend to get a little motion sick but she administers zofran before starting the ketamine. I know it doesn’t work for everyone but literally nothing else worked for me so I’m glad I found what did. If I had stopped after 1 or 2 I would not think it had worked. For me, stopping after 1 or 2 would have been a waste of money.”