User Reviews for Ketamine

Pain 6.8
Anesthesia 3.5

Reviews for Ketamine

Campinghippie May 17, 2020

For Pain: “Ketamine has been a game changer for me. I take the pill powder form and it has helped with my nerve pain greatly. It was a long process getting to the right dose. You have to go slow to see how you tolerate it but when you get there it's amazing. It has also made my whole life better; it's made me happier and helped my depression as well. A very happy surprise. It has worked better than any medicine that I have tried so far from my psychiatrist. All this being said I really don't think it is for everyone it is a trial and error and it's if your body and if your mind can take it. But if it can it is an amazing drug. There is no withdrawal. You can skip days without Jonesing for it like all the different opioids out there. I had some major surgeries and was on opioids and needed them for the pain but hated being on them and then one of the surgeons messed up and now I have severe nerve pain, likely for the rest of my life, and opioids worked but I did not want to take them.”

Never Again May 6, 2020

For Anesthesia: “I dislocated my elbow & went to ER. They decided to give me something to put me lightly to sleep but not totally under while adjusting my elbow. They chose ketamine since I have low blood pressure & this drug doesn’t lower blood pressure as much as other options. They said I would remember nothing. Hardly! Such a terrible experience. As soon as it was administered I felt a rush of heat through my body, then felt as if I was in a kaleidoscope, only all white. I was in space while various shapes continued to change & fall around me. I heard many voices all at once. I was in another dimension & thought that I had died. I wondered if this was eternity & I could not escape. I wanted it all to stop so badly as my perceptions just continually changed around me. I finally heard the doctors/nurses talking amongst themselves & felt gauze being wrapped around my elbow. I definitely remembered enough of it to know it was a horrific experience & I’ll make note not to EVER have this drug again.”

Hope · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2020

For Pain: “I broke my wrist and they decided to give me ketamine in the e.r worst thing ever I hallucinated, still felt them pulling on my arm the pain was horrible but that I could deal with I felt like they were trying to kill me slowly and I was paralyzed I had nightmares for a few weeks. After that I told the hospital that this med needs banned”

Styx · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2020

For Anesthesia: “Absolute horror. It is barbaric to use this dirty drug for regular general anesthesia induction.”

Jc · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2020

“ketamine has been a life changer for me and my depression. I've had severe depression since 1992 and have been on many combinations. I use the nasal spray. It took about 2 weeks before I started to feel the depression lifting.”

pop · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2020

For Pain: “After a 5 1/2 hour spine surgery, I woke up in the post-op recovery room, on ketamine for pain control. It was ineffective. I was having terrifying hallucinations, and started pleading for something that would work. Just when the confusion, dizziness, and hallucinations would begin to subside, they would come up and "refresh" my IV line with more, perpetuating the side effects. Among the several bizarre hallucinations I recall, is looking down at the floor from my bed, which was stuck on the ceiling. It felt like I was defying gravity, and the potential for my bed to come crashing to the floor with me underneath it, was very real! It was undoubtedly the most unpleasant and terrifying hospital stay I've ever had!”

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2020

For Anesthesia: “The worst surgical experience of my life as a result of Ketamine. I went into a dissociative state that was terrifying. There was a lot of break through pain that was excruciating and I heard myself screaming for help. The procedure seemed to last for hours and ultimately I thought I was never going to wake up from the nightmare and I wanted to be unplugged so I could die and finally escape the nightmare.”

Kibz · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 9, 2020

“Ketamine changed my life and I believe that it has given me the help I need to feel better. I have PTSD and MDD. It helps me so much with my depression so fast more so than any other medication. It helps me get through my day even with the crippling pain of depression and other trauma. I'm noticing less symptoms of my PTSD since taking ketamine in fact maybe almost no symptoms. Without it I maybe wouldn't even be here today. This medication saved my life and also helped me with the severe pain I had when I injured my knee. I felt almost no pain at all thanks to the ketamine!”

C11 February 6, 2020

“I've had severe depression for 10 years, trying every antidepressant available before about a year ago my psychiatrist prescribed ketamine compounds. These are very hard to come by, and the studies are very new. You definitely want insurance with this, or else it's about $1,000 out of pocket per dose. However, it has been the only, and I mean the only, effective antidepressant that I have come across. I've probably tried at least 20 different medications on the market. But this had significantly improved all aspects of my functioning. I can finally breathe again, I can finally get somewhere in my life, I can finally start on my career, and I can finally process the trauma I've been through. Now, this medication is only temporary. Eventually you will have to wean onto another medication or no medication, and I'm in the process of that. So far so good!”

SHMEH · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

For Pain: “My personal experience with ketamine after a urethra procedure was absolutely life changing. Not only was my pain under control but it had underlying side effects I did not expect. The experience alone put me in a state of pure..... bliss. Honestly idk how else to explain it. I whole heartedly believe this drug could and should be utilized for a whole array of uses. I suffer from a lot of mental and physical conditions. With one happenstance of receiving this drug, my conditions had been lessened to completely gone. If It was used and available for therapeutic purposes this drug could completely change so many people's lives. I honestly get enraged that really the only reason Ketamine and other medications that are considered "Taboo" are not being utilized as much as they should because of the pharmaceutical companies and governmental agencies not wanting 100% of PEOPLE, to get better, be happy, have access to living good, comfortable, bearable, productive lives.”

Casie · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2020

For Pain: “I went for ketamine infusion for pain from fibromyalgia. It lasted for eight hours. My blood pressure became elevated and they me medication a couple of times to lower it. During the time of the infusion, I heard a nurse say "she had an arrhythmia." Being a retired nurse I knew that was not good. So I told them to stop the infusion and I went home. The next day I became very tachycardic and so went to the emergency hospital. They were able to get my heart rate lower. It was going at 150 beats a minute. I was in atrial fib and admitted into the hospital. I am now on a blood thinner because of it. People who are hypertensive and have cardiac problems should never have a ketamine infusion.I am very angry now that I have to be on blood thinners for the rest of my life.”

TBeeGee January 18, 2020

“I have a long history of depression and anxiety. I've been on anti-depressants for over 20 years. I've gone through traditional therapy, EMDR, RRT, and tried things like meditation, acupuncture and hypnosis. After a very rough holiday season, my husband talked me into trying Ketamine. We found a specialist and I went through the 6 treatments over 2 weeks. It's been a week since we finished. For me the treatments started to work after the 3rd one. I have started feeling things again, hope, calm. I'm laughing again. The numb feeling is gone. I do want to say the first treatment was beautiful and brutal. It felt like a trust fall. There were some cathartic hallucinations, but it felt like I couldn't move. There was a two day headache after. For the next treatments, we were very careful to have the room as quiet and dark as possible. My husband made playlists of soothing instrumental music. That worked.”

Ketamine sucks · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2020

For Pain: “I was in the ER months ago for pain and they have always given me morphine. There was an ER doctor who said that she cannot administer pain medicine for me I have no idea why. So she said she would give me an IV of something different which will help the pain. The effects started immediately and the pain was gone. However I told them to stop it after only 2 minutes. I literally thought I lost my mind. I was paranoid and the room was spinning. I can't imagine how I would have felt if I allowed the medicine to continue. In my opinion Ketamine should be banned. By far it's the scariest medicine in the world. I would rather be in pain then freak out on that stuff!!!! Horrible medicine!!”

DJ · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2019

“I’ve tried a lot of antidepressants and have been on Zoloft for about 20 years. I’m only on the Zoloft now because I fear the withdrawals so can't get off. It does nothing for my depression. Tried light therapy as well because my depression is like times 10 in the winter months. Didn’t work. I tried the standard 6 infusions of Ketamine over 2 weeks. The experience itself was pleasant and interesting. But as soon as the infusion was over I just felt hungover and exhausted the rest of the day. Honestly it did nothing for my depression. I’m thinking it may have made it worse. Maybe because of the letdown after the high expectations I had. And the $3300 I spent - so now more money worries. I know this works for some people. I would say that if the money is not an issue for you or if insurance pays then definitely try it. You never know. You could be one of the lucky ones.”

Mery22 December 21, 2019

For Pain: “I did six treatments of ketamine Infusions. It was the worst decision I did. I spent 3000 dollars to make myself more sick . I wish I never did it !”

Amber · Taken for less than 1 month December 15, 2019

“I have treatment resistant severe depression and anxiety, have tried several meds and got to try ketamine 1st infusion- peaceful calming, I felt floaty & satisfied. I had the k hole effect but I was not scared or worried by it, it was peaceful & my mom was with me holding my hand through the entire session which made a huge positive difference. I focused as hard as I could on positive thoughts and effects that I want. After I felt wobbly like I had 2/3 glasses of wine for an 1 hr then back to normal- I cleaned my house, cooked, played with my baby, walked the dogs! big accomplishments! The next day was not as productive but I still got showered, got dressed, did normal things the whole day instead of just barely being able to take care of my baby and not myself. I slept. No nightmares. 8 hours sleep & 7 hours sleep on the two nights.”

WORST · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2019

“Taking ketimine was the worst mistake I made. My depression got increasingly worse. From vary rare thoughts of suicide to more regular thoughts. Still want too. I took the 2 week every other day treatment. I hated being that high. I would sob after treatment. Something I never really had thoughts that severe before. I was NOT anywhere this severe before the ketamine. I was moderately depressed. Now I am suicidal every single day. Now has been 3 days since the last treatment. Finding this forum and know there are others is such a relief. My doctor continued to tell me to keep doing treatment even though it was making me incredibly suicidal.”

Anonymous November 29, 2019

“Tried ketamine infusion for my extreme depression and OCD. Had my first infusion 2 days ago, Thanksgiving Eve and I can say it did nothing for me except make my symptoms worse. The infusion itself was one of the hardest most intense trips I have ever been through, pretty sure I experienced the k-hole. They told me after I came to that they started me on a pretty high dose. The following day I couldn't even get out of bed and partake in family functions for Thanksgiving. Did not have immediate relief or any whatsoever as I'm almost 48 hours from the treatment. Was intended to take suicidal ideations away but I can say it did not help that for me. I know everyone has a different reaction to this medication but I can definitely say it is not for me. The doctor wants me to come back three times next week at $400 a treatment. I definitely won't be returning for any following treatments.”

Ubi Dubium · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

For Anesthesia: “I was in for a gallbladder removal, not an emergency. The Anesthesia team decided to do an awake intubation because I have a difficult airway. They said they were giving me something to help me relax. What happened next was the farthest thing from relaxing I can imagine. One dose of Ketamine and I was hallucinating, dissociated, delirious, paralyzed, and the one trace of lucidity that I retained told me that I was end of life because I couldn't breathe. I had no sense of time passing, so I have no idea how long this lasted. It was the most terrifyingly awful experience I have ever had, and I'm still an emotional mess two weeks later. Never again! Why would anybody ever dose a non-emergency patient with this stuff without extensive consultation about the effects beforehand? If I could give this drug a negative score, I would.”

Good girl November 21, 2019

“I did six ketamine infusion for depression and total lost of time and lots of money and it made my depression worse. Never again!”

Gracie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 20, 2019

“I researched ketamine treatment for PTSD as I was not having any success with medications or therapy . I was sensitive to taking a daily med as some made me anxious and caused too many side effects. I will say it was an experience that made me face the PTSD and yet put me in a safe place . It’s hard to explain but there was a picture of the ocean in the office and I focused on that during my first IV treatment and it felt like freedom. It was life changing but we also have to put in our own work to stay away from trauma triggers. It was worth every cent ! I wish others knew about this . It’s important that you go to an office that has a relaxing room to do the IV treatment as it’s extremely beneficial to focus on safe imagery during the treatment .”

Anne · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2019

“I have struggled with treatment resistant depression, chronic fatigue syndrome, autoimmune issues and nerve related symptoms, I have been on so many meds and I tried TMS last year which didn't help so I decided to try ketamine. I have completed two infusions. I tried tapering off my antidepressants for the first infusion felt more depressed the next day. However, after restarting the meds and having another infusion, I feel more energy and less depression now two days after. Both infusions were unpleasant experiences for me. They were interesting--like being in another parallel realm, or like the end of life, but I cried and felt depressed and deflated after each treatment (apparently this is NOT the norm). Those experiences were worth it as I feel a significant change after the second treatment. I hope this change will continue.”

LHS · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2019

For Pain: “I have CRPS & Tarlov Cyst, AA, EDS- hospital gave me a Ketamine Push- a huge dosage not infused & I went into a K-Hole of HELL! Tried the infusions a couple years later after I finally got over that horror. The infusions are just too mind blowing & frightening being a spirit hanging upside down in a black cocoon of pure black with cardboard for a body that isn’t there. It’s such a powerful drug I cannot see this being healthy in the long run. I don’t need my brain fried on top of my pain.”

Joanna October 27, 2019

“After spending thousands on therapy and meds in attempts to function with my debilitating Complex PTSD. The doctor recommended the standard 6 treatments but said some of her patients only need 4, and we would know by 4 if I was responding. I did mine very close together, within a week, and it changed my life. I stopped having nightmares, fatigue, disassociation. I was able to retain new information again and be more productive at work and school. I got a booster at 3 months (which we expected since I didn’t need all 6 initially) and she feels I may not need another for 6 months bc I’ve responded so well. I don’t love the trip during the infusion as I tend to get a little motion sick but she administers zofran before starting the ketamine. I know it doesn’t work for everyone but literally nothing else worked for me so I’m glad I found what did. If I had stopped after 1 or 2 I would not think it had worked. For me, stopping after 1 or 2 would have been a waste of money.”

BeJi September 15, 2019

“Just had my first ketamine infusion on Friday, the 13th and a full moon. 9-13-19. Did a ton of research and justified the cost. I've spent more on self-medicating than the Ketamine will ever cost. I've lived with depression all of my adult life. Attempted suicide as a teenager. I also have a pancreatic duct issue, so a lot of pain. The infusion itself was a little loopy. Was hoping for the immediate relief that so many have reported. Had the infusion at 1pm and was home by 5pm. I felt .....surprise!...nothing. Could not sleep for the next two nights. I wouldn't say I feel worse or better. I think I was so desperate that my expectations were way too high. Have another infusion scheduled for Wednesday. As a smoker, I did notice that I didn't want a cigarette for hours after the infusion and into the next day. If I could quit smoking, the ketamine would actually save me money over the year. Will try to do at least 3 infusions and make a more informed decision about the results.”