User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Learn more about Propofol.

Anesthesia 260 reviews 132 medications

8.1
Summary of Propofol reviews 260 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Propofol

For Anesthesia: "It was the first time I had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy. I was quite anxious about possibly feeling pain. Not at all. Simply perfect. Three seconds is all I can remember after being given the propofol. Woke up in recovery room two hours later feeling perfectly normal, no pain at all and totally lucid."

Gustavo30 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Was given propofol for a colonoscopy a few years ago without incident--it was quick acting and then vanished immediately afterward with zero negative effects. Conversely, a week ago had surgery that required anesthesia and was given fentanyl--amongst other odd side-effects this medication made me feel loopy and goofy for a full five days afterward...so unsettling. I hope never to experience the fentanyl version of anesthesia ever again."

Natural mom August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had to go in for an upper endoscopy. Was super nervous, as this was my first procedure ever. They put me under with propofol, and then I woke up in recovery. Couldn't have gone any easier. Couldn't have been any simpler. Hope I can help some relax a little, it really wasn't anything to stress about. Wish I knew that 2 days ago. lol. Best of luck to all o/"

Vallen71 August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I recently had a colonoscopy and when I woke up I felt fine. I've had this drug with a previous colonoscopy and had no problems whatsoever. several days after the procedure I my vision was blurred and I was seeing double. My heart felt like it was racing so I took my blood pressure and it was elevated despite being on blood pressure meds. I also had three separate weird events happen that day that are hard to describe. I finally concluded that they were some type of hallucinations. My vision still isn't perfect and it has been several weeks. Fortunately the hallucinations have ceased. Not sure I would want to have this drug again."

Rainy247 August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Woke up coughing from a colonoscopy in which propofol was used. My mouth was filled with mucus, my nose was full and running (used 1/2 box of tissues),my throat was horribly painful and when the doctor came to see what was wrong I couldn't tell him because I now had laryngitis and couldn't be understood. No one ever suctioned my mouth. It is now two days later and my voice is coming back, my throat is getting better, my nose is clear but I am still coughing up mucus. I will need to have it checked because I don't want to be diagnosed with aspirated pneumonia which is a common side effect. I will never use this drug again. Have had two other colonoscopies in the past and had no side effects. Ask for another drug."

Granted July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I just had my third colonoscopy in the past 12 years and propofol was the anesthesia of choice by my doctor. No side effects whatsoever and felt great when regaining consciousness. Walked right out with my daughter and spent the rest of the day and evening wide awake until 10 p.m. Good stuff and I would definitely recommend it."

BK (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had colonoscopy yesterday. I am sensitive to most meds and have never had any type of anesthesia in my 66 years. This worked beautifully with no lingering effects. Was awake within 3 minutes of cessation of anesthesia administration and out of the hospital within 15 minutes of that time. Dressed myself with no assistance. Went to lunch under my own power. This is day after with no negative symptoms of any type."

JimGMGlobal July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Absolutely amazing! I was out after two seconds and woke up to a nice pleasant feeling that lingered for about 15 minutes. The dizziness lingered throughout the day so listen when they say not to drive for up to 12 hours. I was able to drive with no problem after about 10 hours. Great anesthesia!"

Walnutt June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I had a colonoscopy yesterday and told them I am very sensitive to drugs and I only want twilight, well within 2 seconds I was out cold with no memory of what went on. I don't like that...came home and a headache came on, woke the next morning with a stiff neck and headache. IMO a colonoscopy is not worth the risks this drug offers. Next time no anesthesia"

nancyscherer June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "If you are going to be sedated with Propofol, be sure to request that a nurse or someone stays with you the whole time you are in recovery. The medication doesn't keep you sedated long enough. Apparently, I woke up from the sedation and unknowingly climbed out of the hospital bed to retrieve something from my bag of belongings and while doing so, I fell and hurt my right knee, arm, and jaw! I made it back in bed before any of the nurses knew I fell. They ended up wheeling me out of the hospitality in a wheelchair. Be careful with Propofol. It will make you do stupid things snd you won't remember it or figure it out until the next day. I'm going to request some other form of sedative next time."

Cynthia W. (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "This stuff is amazing! Had an upper esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EDG) and in and out! no issues and I woke up wanting to go back under! best sleep ever!"

Jilly42 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I had propofol for a routine colonoscopy. From the time I was under I was coughing and had to be suctioned. When I woke up, coughing and dry throat. Went home and had bad chills for one hour and ran 101 fever, too. Finally called med exchange and found I could take Tylenol. Better today but still wheezing and voice is strangled. Next time I will choose different anesthesia."

Kikosan June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had this drug with my colonostopy. I remember a tingly feeling in my arm before fell asleep. Woke up 40 minutes later. I felt so good I asked the nurse if this stuff came in a six pack"

Jcando (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "This was used for anesthesia for lithotripsy. Dosage was adjusted for my height and weight but not my super sensitivity to medications in general. After a rather lengthy time in recovery, they determined I could be discharged. My husband said he had to steady me while I dressed myself. He practically carried me into the house and put me to bed fully dressed where I stayed for 8 hours in what he referred to as an incoherent stupor. I have no memory of dressing myself, leaving the hospital, or coming home! In fact my first recollection is probably 10 hours after getting home stumbling to the bathroom in the middle of the night while he was sound asleep. I have a second lithotripsy scheduled soon and will alert the Anesthesiologist"

Drugged grandma June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I had my endoscopy and colonoscopy yesterday for the first time. I was told I would be sedated during the procedure but I didn't investigate into it too much. I don't have previous experiences with any major medical procedures so I didn't really get into the details beforehand. Once in the procedure room the nurse told me that I'm going to sleep and gave me the injection. My eyes closed 5 seconds later and the next thing I remember being awake in the recovery room. I was dizzy and a bit disoriented for 15 -20 minutes but I felt great. Later when receiving the document from the doctor I learned that their drug of choice was propofol. I would go not be afraid to go through any medical procedure if this is how propofol makes you feel!"

Natalie G (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "If you have a history of low blood pressure, do not let your doctor use this on you. I just had a diagnostic endoscopy and colonoscopy (same time), and they used propofol, which works wonders for making you totally unaware during the procedure BUT afterwards my BP was extremely low which has caused tachycardia. It has been a day and I still have tachycardia (heart rate over 100/bpm resting) due to low blood pressure. I feel exhausted and can barely do anything without spiking my heart rate to 140. I have no idea how long this is going to last, but be aware that this is a possibility for you if this drug is used for your anaesthesia."

LilyHorst (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I need frequent colonoscopies because I'm high-risk for colon cancer. Colonoscopy drugs/anesthesia are the main risk factors in this exam and I have experienced terrible side-effects from sedation so I do my exams unsedated. My new gastro talked me into Propofol and it was a disaster....low BP requiring pressors and the Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists had to call the anesthesiologist to basically keep me from dying. Needless to say the colonoscopy was not even started due to the problems with Popofol. Several friends have a colonoscopy with Propofol and have reported that the felt O.K. immediately afterwards but experienced long-term memory loss and depression for months after getting Propofol. All the them would never consent to Propfol in the future."

Susan nurse practitioner (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I'm age 52, it was my first colonoscopy and I was nervous. There is a slight stinging sensation at the IV site when they first start the med (not bad at all). The anesthesiologist said "good night" and I was OUT. I didn't hear or know anything until I opened my eyes in recovery and asked if we'd started yet. Within 20 minutes I was dressed and seated in a recliner reviewing my results with my doctor. A wonderful drug that quickly exits the system. Highly recommended."

Reerobbb April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Just had my 8th colonoscopy. Previously always had Vicodin, etc sedation and woke up feeling great - hydrated, hungry, ready to get on with my day. No problems at all. Anticipating feeling fine after procedure would get me through the prep! Unbeknownst to me, my doctor now has a nurse anesthetist administering propofol during procedure. Woke up nauseated (despite IV Zofran), feeling dehydrated and somewhat disoriented. Ate very little, no appetite. Slept 5 hours and woke feeling like my face was on fire. Also headache, grogginess, no appetite. I will take my chances with my high risk GI issues. I will NOT have another colonoscopy with this anesthetic. These are not truly serious problems but they are 100% unnecessary."

Very unhappy camper April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I've had the Versed/Fentanyl cocktail for my first two colonoscopies but this time around my new GI doc thought it would be best to used Propofol. I was extremely nervous on the day of my procedure. Kept thinking something bad would happen. I can say now this was 10x better than the Versed/Fentanyl. I remember my anesthesiologist saying "I'm going to give you some medicine, OK?" and within 5-10 seconds I could feel myself nodding out. This stuff works quick. Other than waking up toward the end of the colonoscopy, there were no unplanned events or serious side effects. I did feel very lightheaded/dizzy in the recovery room for the first 15-20 minutes, but after that it's like nothing happened. Would recommend!"

Mike949 April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I have had two colonoscopies, one with fentanyl and one with propofol. The propofol was such an easier induction and I woke up like it never happened. A great drug!!"

Menwork April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Given propofol for endoscopy and colonoscopy. This drug went beyond my expectations, I don't even remember going to sleep, I have no recollection of the procedure and had no adverse reactions upon awaking. It did make me exceptionally chatty for first 10 minutes in recovery which is unfortunate because I knew I was making no sense. Able to eat and drink within 20 mins. Don't try to to text or email too soon afterwards, you will write and send nonsense. I remained extremely lucid for the rest of the day but did not feel at all sleepy. Felt a bit run down the day after but nothing that a bit of light exercise couldn't clear. Wholly recommend this drug."

Crazy chuck April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Received this horrible stuff for my upper endoscopy. Made my heart race for two days, coughed so much when I came too and afterword for about 10 minutes, made chest sore, made me a chatterbox and I'm usually a quite person....wasn't sleepy, I went to bed, deep sleep, woke up to heart racing and jittery feeling from this medicine, caused shallow breathing too. It will never pipe through my veins again! I had to drink and drink water to get this junk out of my system. Horrible poison!"

Justme74 (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Went in for an endoscopy/colonoscopy procedure. All went well until I woke up uncontrollably crying which was really, really awful! My poor husband didn't know what to do and the nurses told me that this happens in some patients (younger patients) and would go away. I am 52. I would have like to have been warned ahead of time that this could happen. The good news is that it passed after about a half hour, but made me never want to use this drug again. In the past, have had versad (sp?) with great results so wasn't worried going in, thinking I would have that again."

dagrammy March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Colonoscopy without any anesthesia is safer, not painful but some people can find it a little uncomfortable. I had it with no anesthesia from a gastroenterologist who told me he had his own without anesthesia. Only in US and UK more than 90% of this procedure is done with general anesthesia. In Europe this percent is from 6% to maximum 35%. In Asia is even less. It is safer because you can guide or let the doctor know if the tool pushes the colon too hard in those three specific areas where the tube must change direction almost 90 degrees. OK, in short, general anesthesia requires anesthesiologist and they just make a lot of money. Side effect from general anesthesia using even propofol could be terrible. Doctors still don't fully understand how general anesthesia works, says Dr Robert Sanders, an honorary lecturer at the department of anesthesia at University College London Hospital. Significant numbers develop post-operative cognitive decline (POCD), suffering from memory loss and behavior changes; they're also just not as sharp as before. This can last weeks or even months. Some believe it can be permanent. But this is not the only potential effect. Recently it's been suggested that general anesthesia may also increase the risk of dementia - possibly by causing inflammation in the brain. Cause for concern: One study found that a year after surgery, over 75% of surgery patients aged over 60 still had mild cognitive decline. Some experts,- believes there is 'good science' to link general anesthesia to problems beyond decline of brain power. He says it can reduce the activity of the immune system, too."

NoProp March 14, 2017