User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Learn more about Propofol.

Anesthesia 252 reviews 130 medications

8.2
Summary of Propofol reviews 252 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Propofol

For Anesthesia: "I had a colonoscopy yesterday and told them I am very sensitive to drugs and I only want twilight, well within 2 seconds I was out cold with no memory of what went on. I don't like that...came home and a headache came on, woke the next morning with a stiff neck and headache. IMO a colonoscopy is not worth the risks this drug offers. Next time no anesthesia"

nancyscherer June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "If you are going to be sedated with Propofol, be sure to request that a nurse or someone stays with you the whole time you are in recovery. The medication doesn't keep you sedated long enough. Apparently, I woke up from the sedation and unknowingly climbed out of the hospital bed to retrieve something from my bag of belongings and while doing so, I fell and hurt my right knee, arm, and jaw! I made it back in bed before any of the nurses knew I fell. They ended up wheeling me out of the hospitality in a wheelchair. Be careful with Propofol. It will make you do stupid things snd you won't remember it or figure it out until the next day. I'm going to request some other form of sedative next time."

Cynthia W. (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "This stuff is amazing! Had an upper esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EDG) and in and out! no issues and I woke up wanting to go back under! best sleep ever!"

Jilly42 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I had propofol for a routine colonoscopy. From the time I was under I was coughing and had to be suctioned. When I woke up, coughing and dry throat. Went home and had bad chills for one hour and ran 101 fever, too. Finally called med exchange and found I could take Tylenol. Better today but still wheezing and voice is strangled. Next time I will choose different anesthesia."

Kikosan June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had this drug with my colonostopy. I remember a tingly feeling in my arm before fell asleep. Woke up 40 minutes later. I felt so good I asked the nurse if this stuff came in a six pack"

Jcando (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "This was used for anesthesia for lithotripsy. Dosage was adjusted for my height and weight but not my super sensitivity to medications in general. After a rather lengthy time in recovery, they determined I could be discharged. My husband said he had to steady me while I dressed myself. He practically carried me into the house and put me to bed fully dressed where I stayed for 8 hours in what he referred to as an incoherent stupor. I have no memory of dressing myself, leaving the hospital, or coming home! In fact my first recollection is probably 10 hours after getting home stumbling to the bathroom in the middle of the night while he was sound asleep. I have a second lithotripsy scheduled soon and will alert the Anesthesiologist"

Drugged grandma June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I had my endoscopy and colonoscopy yesterday for the first time. I was told I would be sedated during the procedure but I didn't investigate into it too much. I don't have previous experiences with any major medical procedures so I didn't really get into the details beforehand. Once in the procedure room the nurse told me that I'm going to sleep and gave me the injection. My eyes closed 5 seconds later and the next thing I remember being awake in the recovery room. I was dizzy and a bit disoriented for 15 -20 minutes but I felt great. Later when receiving the document from the doctor I learned that their drug of choice was propofol. I would go not be afraid to go through any medical procedure if this is how propofol makes you feel!"

Natalie G (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "If you have a history of low blood pressure, do not let your doctor use this on you. I just had a diagnostic endoscopy and colonoscopy (same time), and they used propofol, which works wonders for making you totally unaware during the procedure BUT afterwards my BP was extremely low which has caused tachycardia. It has been a day and I still have tachycardia (heart rate over 100/bpm resting) due to low blood pressure. I feel exhausted and can barely do anything without spiking my heart rate to 140. I have no idea how long this is going to last, but be aware that this is a possibility for you if this drug is used for your anaesthesia."

LilyHorst (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I need frequent colonoscopies because I'm high-risk for colon cancer. Colonoscopy drugs/anesthesia are the main risk factors in this exam and I have experienced terrible side-effects from sedation so I do my exams unsedated. My new gastro talked me into Propofol and it was a disaster....low BP requiring pressors and the Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists had to call the anesthesiologist to basically keep me from dying. Needless to say the colonoscopy was not even started due to the problems with Popofol. Several friends have a colonoscopy with Propofol and have reported that the felt O.K. immediately afterwards but experienced long-term memory loss and depression for months after getting Propofol. All the them would never consent to Propfol in the future."

Susan nurse practitioner (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I'm age 52, it was my first colonoscopy and I was nervous. There is a slight stinging sensation at the IV site when they first start the med (not bad at all). The anesthesiologist said "good night" and I was OUT. I didn't hear or know anything until I opened my eyes in recovery and asked if we'd started yet. Within 20 minutes I was dressed and seated in a recliner reviewing my results with my doctor. A wonderful drug that quickly exits the system. Highly recommended."

Reerobbb April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Just had my 8th colonoscopy. Previously always had Vicodin, etc sedation and woke up feeling great - hydrated, hungry, ready to get on with my day. No problems at all. Anticipating feeling fine after procedure would get me through the prep! Unbeknownst to me, my doctor now has a nurse anesthetist administering propofol during procedure. Woke up nauseated (despite IV Zofran), feeling dehydrated and somewhat disoriented. Ate very little, no appetite. Slept 5 hours and woke feeling like my face was on fire. Also headache, grogginess, no appetite. I will take my chances with my high risk GI issues. I will NOT have another colonoscopy with this anesthetic. These are not truly serious problems but they are 100% unnecessary."

Very unhappy camper April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I've had the Versed/Fentanyl cocktail for my first two colonoscopies but this time around my new GI doc thought it would be best to used Propofol. I was extremely nervous on the day of my procedure. Kept thinking something bad would happen. I can say now this was 10x better than the Versed/Fentanyl. I remember my anesthesiologist saying "I'm going to give you some medicine, OK?" and within 5-10 seconds I could feel myself nodding out. This stuff works quick. Other than waking up toward the end of the colonoscopy, there were no unplanned events or serious side effects. I did feel very lightheaded/dizzy in the recovery room for the first 15-20 minutes, but after that it's like nothing happened. Would recommend!"

Mike949 April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I have had two colonoscopies, one with fentanyl and one with propofol. The propofol was such an easier induction and I woke up like it never happened. A great drug!!"

Menwork April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Given propofol for endoscopy and colonoscopy. This drug went beyond my expectations, I don't even remember going to sleep, I have no recollection of the procedure and had no adverse reactions upon awaking. It did make me exceptionally chatty for first 10 minutes in recovery which is unfortunate because I knew I was making no sense. Able to eat and drink within 20 mins. Don't try to to text or email too soon afterwards, you will write and send nonsense. I remained extremely lucid for the rest of the day but did not feel at all sleepy. Felt a bit run down the day after but nothing that a bit of light exercise couldn't clear. Wholly recommend this drug."

Crazy chuck April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Received this horrible stuff for my upper endoscopy. Made my heart race for two days, coughed so much when I came too and afterword for about 10 minutes, made chest sore, made me a chatterbox and I'm usually a quite person....wasn't sleepy, I went to bed, deep sleep, woke up to heart racing and jittery feeling from this medicine, caused shallow breathing too. It will never pipe through my veins again! I had to drink and drink water to get this junk out of my system. Horrible poison!"

Justme74 (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Went in for an endoscopy/colonoscopy procedure. All went well until I woke up uncontrollably crying which was really, really awful! My poor husband didn't know what to do and the nurses told me that this happens in some patients (younger patients) and would go away. I am 52. I would have like to have been warned ahead of time that this could happen. The good news is that it passed after about a half hour, but made me never want to use this drug again. In the past, have had versad (sp?) with great results so wasn't worried going in, thinking I would have that again."

dagrammy March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Colonoscopy without any anesthesia is safer, not painful but some people can find it a little uncomfortable. I had it with no anesthesia from a gastroenterologist who told me he had his own without anesthesia. Only in US and UK more than 90% of this procedure is done with general anesthesia. In Europe this percent is from 6% to maximum 35%. In Asia is even less. It is safer because you can guide or let the doctor know if the tool pushes the colon too hard in those three specific areas where the tube must change direction almost 90 degrees. OK, in short, general anesthesia requires anesthesiologist and they just make a lot of money. Side effect from general anesthesia using even propofol could be terrible. Doctors still don't fully understand how general anesthesia works, says Dr Robert Sanders, an honorary lecturer at the department of anesthesia at University College London Hospital. Significant numbers develop post-operative cognitive decline (POCD), suffering from memory loss and behavior changes; they're also just not as sharp as before. This can last weeks or even months. Some believe it can be permanent. But this is not the only potential effect. Recently it's been suggested that general anesthesia may also increase the risk of dementia - possibly by causing inflammation in the brain. Cause for concern: One study found that a year after surgery, over 75% of surgery patients aged over 60 still had mild cognitive decline. Some experts,- believes there is 'good science' to link general anesthesia to problems beyond decline of brain power. He says it can reduce the activity of the immune system, too."

NoProp March 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Tuesday I had a colonoscopy, yes it works fast. When I woke I was extremely groggy, needed help standing up, and was put in a wheelchair to be taken to the car because I could not not walk at all. I was nauseaous and was groggy all the way home and when my daughter got me to the house, she had to literally hold me up and walk me to the bed, my knees were so week. I slept the rest of the day (2:30 - 5:30 or so). Only woke up to use the restroom n get water. The nausea slowly began to subside and today is thursday. I'm still not feeling as well as I should, but I'm functioning. So the conclusion of the matter is i don't take meds of any kind or alcohol (no cough med)in any form because I have 0 tolerance. That's what I'll chalk it up to be."

TooSick (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I put off my first colonoscopy for 15 years (mostly due to the barbaric prep) until today, and I'm glad. I had an endoscopy 30 years ago with IV Valium and it was a dreadful experience. I went in to this with extreme apprehension and the nurses kept telling me things have improved a lot. Wow! They were right! Propofol made it so much easier. I went to sleep, never had even a fuzzy hint of the procedure, and I was dressed and leaving 20 minutes after it was over. I'm so grateful."

AlexisWriter March 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "After being diagnosed with Attenuated familial adenomatous polyposis (AFAP) (a genetic disease of the colon), I have had 6 colonoscopies, 5 with propofol and 1 with twilight sedation. By far, propofol is the best! You come out of it fast, and feel fine afterwards, whereas with twilight sedation I was out the rest of the day and was depressed afterwards. Strange feeling/mood from that. Propofol had no after effects. Wednesday having another colonoscopy with propofol! Yay!"

Lisacathouse (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Propofol for colonoscopy..went right to sleep woke right up ..no dizziness..alert..don't remember a thing!"

Janepopk March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I had this for my colonoscopy. No after effects. Peaceful...I didn't even know I had the procedure. This drug is amazing."

Redbone sunshine February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had a colonoscopy for the very first time and they used propofol. They told me I might stay awake during the procedure but that most people decided/tried to fall asleep anyways (I didn't even have to make a decision because 2 seconds after the nurse plugged it into my IV, I was out cold!) When I woke up, I didn't remember a thing from the procedure, and I was only asleep for maybe twenty minutes after the procedure finished. The only side effect I noticed was that I had the giggles for about fifteen minutes after I woke up--I couldn't stop laughing at everything! That might've just been because I was tired, but it was really funny!"

Essie97 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Have had three colonoscopies in four years and can attest to the tremendous superiority of Propofol over "Twilight Sleep." After "Twilight Sleep" I was stupid and hungover all day. Plus my colonic inertia is worse than ever after any opiates. After Propofol I was mentally alert, physically steady and solid. Felt like I could take college boards exams 2 minutes after waking. For the most recent procedure, due to a mixup, I had to have the opiate-bomb again. I was very disappointed that I was going to feel like crap the whole rest of the day and have a bellyache the second. But most disappointing of all was that both the phlebotomist and the nurse tried to tell me the two drugs are exactly the same. They need to try them."

Niccat February 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Very frightened to do colonoscopy ! I had bad experience years ago with prep GoLYTELY. Anesthesia that they used didn't work well and I woke up during the scope as they turned the corner in colon. Also was out for most of the day. Today was a totally different experience! I took Miralax, Dulcolax and pushed the fluids! Gatorade and water. It wasn't to bad at all except some upset stomach later in the night. The anesthesia Propofol was a wonderful experience! I had no pain was out in 20 seconds and just dreamed.It was just like I fell asleep! Woke up a little groggy and head felt little heavy for about 10 minutes. I went home and am eating and feeling fine."

Cheyfox (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017