User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Learn more about Propofol.

Anesthesia 216 reviews 139 medications

8.3
Summary of Propofol reviews 216 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Propofol

For Anesthesia: "My first colonoscopy with versed/fentanyl was miserable...long-term memory loss and severe depression (never had it before). Next colonoscopy was with propofol with same results but with the added treat of having my BP crash and getting admitted. Just had the repeat exam unsedated and it was easy and not uncomfortable except for mild cramps for a few seconds."

Rxavoid (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2016

For Anesthesia: "I'm 22, had a recent colonoscopy and was given propofol. I completely recommend it for anyone with anxiety. I take anxiety medication and was very nervous I'd have a freak out due to the effects of the anesthesia but instead I fell asleep so quickly, I did wake up during my procedure briefly and it was just funny because I remember going wow this is so cool can I stay awake? Then I was asleep again. When I woke up again I was being wheeled to the post-procedure room and I was completely aware, no grogginess. Overall I thought the drug worked wonders because I was completely clear headed and relaxed when I woke up!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2016

For Anesthesia: "Don't be scared!! I was so scared about getting a GA for a colonoscopy, specifically propofol, read the standard horror stories. I'm the biggest wimp when it comes to things like this and my experience was as follows... Day before moviprep, absolutely fine, it can be drank fine, people seem to get hung up on taste, just drink it, no worse than cheap dilututing juice, I ended up having 4x a and 4 x b sachets for good measure, no pain nausea, you basically just pee from your bum is the only way I can describe it. On the day, my procedure was 0800, in and prepped by 0830, cannula in wrist good to go in endoscopy suite, seen the propofol, quarter in, half in, gone in five to ten secs, woke up clear headed at 0930, ate, drank slept!"

Stinkyfinger (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2016

For Anesthesia: "I was given Propofol two days ago to have my stomach scoped. Worked great for the procedure. 36 hours later I developed muscle spasms in my lower abdomen and anytime I went number 2 in the bathroom. After reviewing the side effects, it does say can cause severe abdominal muscle spasms. So now I am getting a anti-spasmodic medication for it."

NewNova November 9, 2016

For Anesthesia: "Upper endoscopy with propofol. I'm prone to panic attacks and nervous around drugs. But I can see now why some people call propofol a miracle drug. I had a mild burning sensation in my arm as it was injected, like a slight bee sting, lasted 10 seconds. I don't remember falling asleep, but it must have been 20 seconds or less. I had no memory of the procedure, nor any discomfort. I woke up in a new room what felt like an instant later. Mild after effects: drowsy, loopy/euphoric (everything seemed funny), my limbs were heavy and I was a bit unsteady. But I was mentally alert, able to start eating, dressing, and using my phone to type emails within minutes of waking. Easy, easy procedure, so if you're an anxious type like me, don't worry."

Aaron S. (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2016

For Anesthesia: "At separate times within a month I had an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy. I'd had versid/fentanyl before for colonoscopy and it worked fine (no lasting effects) but the nurse talked me into propofol for endoscopy though I was a little leary, but I was very nauseous after. This time, I told them "NO propofol;" however, she asked me if I'd ever had benedryl (yes, for allergies). It seems they gave me propofol/benedryl because I was groggy/unbalanced for hours after, even though they sent me home! I feel like I was over medicated for this simple procedure! On the procedure sheet the medication is listed as "MAC anesthesia!" They want to change all anesthesia drugs over to propofol. I think I should complain to their Patient Advocate Dep"

DEP Misty October 29, 2016

For Anesthesia: "First colonoscopy at age 56. Doctor had explained during consult I would be given propofol to induce anesthesia. I found it hilarious that just before I was induced by the anesthesiologist, they were playing Michael Jacksons "You wanna be trying something" over the PA in the ceiling (Michael Jackson died from propofol). Anyway, anesthesiologist pumped in the propofol and in under 10 secs I was gone. I felt the drug acting on my brain just before I went under and said " here it comes", and then I was totally out. Woke up in recovery instantly fully awake but felt just slightly fuzzy. Was unsteady on my feet for about 5 mins. That's it. No bad side effects. The prep was not bad at all. Colonoscopy is NO BIG DEAL at all."

Argekay60 October 26, 2016

For Anesthesia: "I am a 72 year old woman. I had propofol for a heart ablation. They had a hard time trying to start my IV and when finally in it was very painful to even move my wrist but decided to leave it in as it was working and I didn't want them to dig around any more. In the operating room they put the oxygen mask on me and then said I would be going to sleep. They said what they were putting in my IV might burn a little. It was horrible! It felt like they poured boiling water on my arm and it just kept getting more intense. I tried to get away and screamed at them but they kept up till I passed out. Horrible, experience. Have had 6 major surgeries and never had this happen before."

horserider (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

For Anesthesia: "This was my third colonoscopy, but the first time I received propofol. I didn't experience any pain at the IV site, I drifted off to sleep immediately, and after approximately an hour in the recovery room I was discharged. Unlike the previous colonoscopies where I had to go home and "sleep it off", I felt fine and alert after this procedure. Now for the bad news. After I woke up I could recall feeling a " tugging sensation" in my abdomen, hearing conversation, and being aware of the procedure momentarily while it was going on. I didn't experience any pain. I would still give the drug a nine out of ten, although if I receive it again in the future I will tell the anesthetist about this experience."

MominMS (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2016

For Anesthesia: "Had a endoscopy and colonoscopy today. They used propofol and I felt briefly drowsy then woke up in recovery. Alert, but slightly unsteady while dressing. But it passed quickly and got out to the car fine. Would definitely have this drug used the next time."

Ct gi (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2016

For Anesthesia: "55yr old female. Had upper and lower GI yesterday. Propofol was used to put me under. Went right out but when I woke up I was off. Tried to find explanation for my symptoms. They were drowsiness, sore muscles, blurred vision, swollen and itchy face, tightness in chest, hard to breathe, and hard to concentrate. More symptoms but these are the worse. Gonna call doctor tomorrow because I don't feel right. Will never let them use propofol on me ever again."

Lynne1104 (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2016

For Anesthesia: "Had a colonoscopy with propofol. I went out quickly and didn't experience any problems during the exam. But afterwards, in recovery I felt drowsy and unbalanced when asked to get up to get dressed. It seems like you are forced to leave recovery too fast. Finally, I was able to walk to the car. Once we arrived home I had severe nausea and I felt like vomiting. I wasn't able to get out of the car. We called the doctor. He told me to stay reclined in the car and do not eat or drink anything. The good thing is I was in my garage away from the cold rain. After 2 hours I was able to go into the house. Called doctor back. He informed me I had a reaction to the "new drug" aka Propofol. Other effects:Chills, sleepy, tired. NEVER again!!!"

CSandeugine (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2016

For Anesthesia: "Just got out of procedure for upper endoscopy and colonoscopy. Was very nervous about the anesthesia, which I'd never had before, but it was totally fine. No arm burning like some people have mentioned. I was out in 5 seconds, next thing I knew was waking up in recovery with my husband next to me. Though I felt mentally alert fairly quickly, it did take me a little while to feel steady on my feet. But all in all, I feel great and would not dread this procedure again. So to anyone putting it off: get over it, it's a piece of cake. Even the prep wasn't as awful as people make it out to be. Think about what people had to endure in the "old" days, like 100 years ago...this procedure could save your life and it really is no biggie."

Jeninchicago September 30, 2016

Diprivan (propofol) for Anesthesia: "I was given this drug in 2012/ I've been experiencing dementia stages, delirium eight weeks post surgery. Then again dementia stages within a year, then again dementia stages with two days of delirium. Then I had another episode about 3 to 5 Day dementia like symptoms. 2016, I was experiencing dementia symptoms seven days straight, then was found on the seventh day and delirium stage hospitalized, drug culture came back with no drugs in my system. There are told to put me in restraints never Happened my family was holding me down, two security guards on my feet, and then a nurse came in said I was spitting, she came down on me with an elbow knocking out my top teeth bottom tooth on the left side of my jaw! I need help and answers. Many others out there. No help from no one, doctors neurologists etc. do not want to address the issue."

Grim Reaper September 30, 2016

For Anesthesia: "Dec.6,2013 I had a screening colonoscopy. Propofol was the agent used for sedation. I had an adverse reaction to the medication. I was paralyzed, but not sedated. I knew every time they moved me. I knew what they were talking about. I understood everything, I just could NOT move, speak or even open my eyes. I was able to get enough "oomph" to say "hurts" and someone said "You shouldn't even be feeling that" and I said "hurts bad". I am just thankful this was during a relatively minor procedure instead of something like heart/lung surgery. I guess someone gave me a little more after I spoke b/c the next thing I remember is someone's panicky voice saying "I can't get her oxygen up!" over and over again. I survived, but barely I think."

Jklmnb*9 September 28, 2016

For Anesthesia: "My first time use of Propofol for my combination endoscopy and gastrostomy this mornnig. It was administered by an Anesthesia Nurse (not and Anesthesiologist, which was my first) in the surgery room with my Gastroenterologist present. They said they also will provide some lidocane??? to prevent side effects, which they did. She had explained that I would fall asleep within less than 10-15 seconds and would wake up not being groggy. And it was just like that. I did not even count to 10 (last thing I do remember) waking up ready to go home. Not like the old demoral or whatever they used to give you. I left less then 90 minutes after beginning the procedures So, yes, I gave it a 10."

brodg September 21, 2016

For Anesthesia: "I am a 47 yr old female. I had my third positive colonoscopy and endoscopy experience with Propofol yesterday. It is an amazing drug! I had no burning as it was administered and I slept through both procedures with no memory of pain or waking up. 20 min in recovery and I was able to go home with my driver. I was groggy at home and slept about 5 hours and then I woke up rested and feeling normal again."

Bonnie G September 9, 2016

For Anesthesia: "Worked great for me, fell right asleep, no memory of procedure, and woke right up with no groggy feeling at all."

First Time Scope September 7, 2016

For Anesthesia: "Excellent drug for me. It was used for my colonoscopy as an outpatient... asleep immediately, woke up quickly with absolutely no side effects, no drowsiness, no sleepyhead. Miracle drug as far as I'm concerned."

GACabingirl September 1, 2016

For Anesthesia: "Had colonoscopy with propofol. No issues woke up easily, slept well after I got home. Nurse told me they have been using this for awhile due to the quickness of waking up. Also was told this can be administered by nurse anesthetist instead of the physician. It frees him up to do the procedure while the nurse with an anesthesia license does the sedation."

Jetlpn August 27, 2016

For Anesthesia: "Will never allow this drug to be given to me again. woke up cateract surgery and just before surgery was completed Been three weeks Mental fog extreme fatigue memory issues , agitated, depressed and horrific headaches No want wants to hear it it a Surgeon just talked right over me when i tried to express concerns Im afraid im never going to get past all this Horrible horrible drug Never again"

connie19543311 (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

For Anesthesia: "Yesterday, second colonoscopy with propofol. First time, no problems whatsoever. This time is a different story. After waking, uncontrollable shivering and sneezing. I feel like I have flu. I could not sleep after getting home because of sneezing and constant nasal drip. Today, a little better, but throat is sore and the sneezing, drip continues. Eyes watering. Headache. Not sure if I want this medicine again."

quantum meriut August 14, 2016

For Anesthesia: "Had Colonoscopy yesterday with Propofol. Heard about Versed & asked about it. Surgery Ctr. said they had it, but Propofol was preferred because of the better recovery result. Went out like a light. Woke up in recovery bay & felt pretty good after a few minutes. Got home, started feeling dopey again, couldn't concentrate. No appetite. Forced myself to eat, but didn't help. After 2 hrs, laid down and was out for 5 hrs. Got up, had juice and jello. After 2 hrs. had to go back to bed. I'm better today, still a bit weak. My sister had same procedure recently. She was knocked out & came through fine. She may have had same drug with better results. I'm on Obamacare & that's more bad than good. Maybe Versed not allowed, who knows."

Ikabod August 13, 2016

For Anesthesia: "I'm a 33yo female with Crohn's disease. I had my 4th colonoscopy done today and they used propofol. The nurse informed me they started using it about a year ago and people just love it. I have only had the versed and I hated the groggy feeling as well as the memory loss and even sick to my stomach. When they took me back, the anesthesiologist talked to me for a few seconds and then slowly administered the propofol. As I was laying there my hand started to hurt really bad. I honestly thought the IV had came out! So I pulled my hand out from under the covers and said something about it and he quickly replied "oh yes, it kinda burns when it goes in." Next thing I know, I'm in recovery waking up happy AND I remember talking to the dr! Love it!!"

BigRed508 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

For Anesthesia: "I am a 29-year-old woman who received propofol for my first colonoscopy. I slept through the entire colonoscopy and was not drowsy afterward although when they administered the drug it felt like lava being pushed into my vein. That pain lasted just a few minutes."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016