User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Learn more about Propofol.

Anesthesia 268 reviews 132 medications

8.1
Summary of Propofol reviews 268 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Propofol

For Anesthesia: "This was my second colonoscopy and my first using Propofol. I was not showing any signs of a cold prior to getting on the gurney. I was out like a light quickly but when I woke up I was full of mucous and coughing like crazy. My throat was so sore that I could barely swallow and it was extremely difficult for me to speak. My procedure was on Friday and it is now Sunday and although my throat feels much better, I'm still coughing up mucous. If it doesn't get better by tomorrow I'll go see my GP. Propofol may be great for some, but not for me."

Debhigh October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Was given this for a colonoscopy. Was knocked out quickly and woke up without nausea. I did develop a very sore neck and shoulders afterwards. Do not know if this was from sleeping wrong or from the drug."

Psychokitty October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I just had a colonoscopy today. They use propofol. It worked great. I woke up and felt good. Last time I had a colonoscopy 10 years ago, they used versed. It made me very nauseous. I was thankful for this good experience."

Alleysue September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had colonoscopy September 2017 and was given propofol as anesthesia. Woke up great after the procedure but nose was stuffy. Was told oxygen does that as it dries out your nasal passages. Went home and had reaction similar to a bad cold. Could not quit sneezing, runny nose, sinus pressure,etc."

Newbie7 September 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Severe cramping and burning sensation almost breathless with pain; my arm went into a spasm. All this lasted about 10- 15 seconds - they must have heard me in the waiting room. Just glad it didn't stop my heart."

Charlie king September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I am 66 years old and have had a number of colonoscopies. The anesthesiologist has never used Propofol on me before. This was the 1st time that I have ever been totally knocked for the procedure. My colonoscopy was last Monday, 9/11/17. I have had one day since then that I felt normal. My 1st reaction was arriving home totally out of this world and after making it to the bed, sleeping for the next 12 house with my clothes on. When I woke up I had a severe headache across my face. Needless to say I did not go back to work until Wednesday. Wednesday, I felt normal until the end of the day when the headache emerged now in the crown of my head. Thursday and Friday, the headaches have continued. However, I am pretty much normal now."

Neverfeltlikethis (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had this drug for a colonoscopy and it was wonderful. I was very nervous and the wheeled me into the room and the doctor said hello and explained the procedure and said “enjoy your nap!” I saw them push the drug into my IV , felt a rush to my head and I was out cold. Next thing I know the nurse was waking me up on the way to recovery. I stretched and said that was the best sleep ever! I felt like I had been napping on the sofa. Less groggy even! Great drug."

Carcat1 September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I've just had this drug about an hour ago I was scared to death I actually backed out last month. The nurses at my hospital were the best. I had it gone to sleep and woke up felt like nothing ever happened I have a phobia of being high and I wasn't at all this is the perfect drug I will recommend it to anyone and I would definitely get it again"

Godslight August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "It was the first time I had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy. I was quite anxious about possibly feeling pain. Not at all. Simply perfect. Three seconds is all I can remember after being given the propofol. Woke up in recovery room two hours later feeling perfectly normal, no pain at all and totally lucid."

Gustavo30 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Was given propofol for a colonoscopy a few years ago without incident--it was quick acting and then vanished immediately afterward with zero negative effects. Conversely, a week ago had surgery that required anesthesia and was given fentanyl--amongst other odd side-effects this medication made me feel loopy and goofy for a full five days afterward...so unsettling. I hope never to experience the fentanyl version of anesthesia ever again."

Natural mom August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had to go in for an upper endoscopy. Was super nervous, as this was my first procedure ever. They put me under with propofol, and then I woke up in recovery. Couldn't have gone any easier. Couldn't have been any simpler. Hope I can help some relax a little, it really wasn't anything to stress about. Wish I knew that 2 days ago. lol. Best of luck to all o/"

Vallen71 August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I recently had a colonoscopy and when I woke up I felt fine. I've had this drug with a previous colonoscopy and had no problems whatsoever. several days after the procedure I my vision was blurred and I was seeing double. My heart felt like it was racing so I took my blood pressure and it was elevated despite being on blood pressure meds. I also had three separate weird events happen that day that are hard to describe. I finally concluded that they were some type of hallucinations. My vision still isn't perfect and it has been several weeks. Fortunately the hallucinations have ceased. Not sure I would want to have this drug again."

Rainy247 August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Woke up coughing from a colonoscopy in which propofol was used. My mouth was filled with mucus, my nose was full and running (used 1/2 box of tissues),my throat was horribly painful and when the doctor came to see what was wrong I couldn't tell him because I now had laryngitis and couldn't be understood. No one ever suctioned my mouth. It is now two days later and my voice is coming back, my throat is getting better, my nose is clear but I am still coughing up mucus. I will need to have it checked because I don't want to be diagnosed with aspirated pneumonia which is a common side effect. I will never use this drug again. Have had two other colonoscopies in the past and had no side effects. Ask for another drug."

Granted July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I just had my third colonoscopy in the past 12 years and propofol was the anesthesia of choice by my doctor. No side effects whatsoever and felt great when regaining consciousness. Walked right out with my daughter and spent the rest of the day and evening wide awake until 10 p.m. Good stuff and I would definitely recommend it."

BK (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had colonoscopy yesterday. I am sensitive to most meds and have never had any type of anesthesia in my 66 years. This worked beautifully with no lingering effects. Was awake within 3 minutes of cessation of anesthesia administration and out of the hospital within 15 minutes of that time. Dressed myself with no assistance. Went to lunch under my own power. This is day after with no negative symptoms of any type."

JimGMGlobal July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Absolutely amazing! I was out after two seconds and woke up to a nice pleasant feeling that lingered for about 15 minutes. The dizziness lingered throughout the day so listen when they say not to drive for up to 12 hours. I was able to drive with no problem after about 10 hours. Great anesthesia!"

Walnutt June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I had a colonoscopy yesterday and told them I am very sensitive to drugs and I only want twilight, well within 2 seconds I was out cold with no memory of what went on. I don't like that...came home and a headache came on, woke the next morning with a stiff neck and headache. IMO a colonoscopy is not worth the risks this drug offers. Next time no anesthesia"

nancyscherer June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "If you are going to be sedated with Propofol, be sure to request that a nurse or someone stays with you the whole time you are in recovery. The medication doesn't keep you sedated long enough. Apparently, I woke up from the sedation and unknowingly climbed out of the hospital bed to retrieve something from my bag of belongings and while doing so, I fell and hurt my right knee, arm, and jaw! I made it back in bed before any of the nurses knew I fell. They ended up wheeling me out of the hospitality in a wheelchair. Be careful with Propofol. It will make you do stupid things snd you won't remember it or figure it out until the next day. I'm going to request some other form of sedative next time."

Cynthia W. (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "This stuff is amazing! Had an upper esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EDG) and in and out! no issues and I woke up wanting to go back under! best sleep ever!"

Jilly42 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I had propofol for a routine colonoscopy. From the time I was under I was coughing and had to be suctioned. When I woke up, coughing and dry throat. Went home and had bad chills for one hour and ran 101 fever, too. Finally called med exchange and found I could take Tylenol. Better today but still wheezing and voice is strangled. Next time I will choose different anesthesia."

Kikosan June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had this drug with my colonostopy. I remember a tingly feeling in my arm before fell asleep. Woke up 40 minutes later. I felt so good I asked the nurse if this stuff came in a six pack"

Jcando (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "This was used for anesthesia for lithotripsy. Dosage was adjusted for my height and weight but not my super sensitivity to medications in general. After a rather lengthy time in recovery, they determined I could be discharged. My husband said he had to steady me while I dressed myself. He practically carried me into the house and put me to bed fully dressed where I stayed for 8 hours in what he referred to as an incoherent stupor. I have no memory of dressing myself, leaving the hospital, or coming home! In fact my first recollection is probably 10 hours after getting home stumbling to the bathroom in the middle of the night while he was sound asleep. I have a second lithotripsy scheduled soon and will alert the Anesthesiologist"

Drugged grandma June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I had my endoscopy and colonoscopy yesterday for the first time. I was told I would be sedated during the procedure but I didn't investigate into it too much. I don't have previous experiences with any major medical procedures so I didn't really get into the details beforehand. Once in the procedure room the nurse told me that I'm going to sleep and gave me the injection. My eyes closed 5 seconds later and the next thing I remember being awake in the recovery room. I was dizzy and a bit disoriented for 15 -20 minutes but I felt great. Later when receiving the document from the doctor I learned that their drug of choice was propofol. I would go not be afraid to go through any medical procedure if this is how propofol makes you feel!"

Natalie G (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "If you have a history of low blood pressure, do not let your doctor use this on you. I just had a diagnostic endoscopy and colonoscopy (same time), and they used propofol, which works wonders for making you totally unaware during the procedure BUT afterwards my BP was extremely low which has caused tachycardia. It has been a day and I still have tachycardia (heart rate over 100/bpm resting) due to low blood pressure. I feel exhausted and can barely do anything without spiking my heart rate to 140. I have no idea how long this is going to last, but be aware that this is a possibility for you if this drug is used for your anaesthesia."

LilyHorst (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I need frequent colonoscopies because I'm high-risk for colon cancer. Colonoscopy drugs/anesthesia are the main risk factors in this exam and I have experienced terrible side-effects from sedation so I do my exams unsedated. My new gastro talked me into Propofol and it was a disaster....low BP requiring pressors and the Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists had to call the anesthesiologist to basically keep me from dying. Needless to say the colonoscopy was not even started due to the problems with Popofol. Several friends have a colonoscopy with Propofol and have reported that the felt O.K. immediately afterwards but experienced long-term memory loss and depression for months after getting Propofol. All the them would never consent to Propfol in the future."

Susan nurse practitioner (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2017