User Reviews for Propofol systemic

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Anesthesia

Summary of Propofol reviews 7.9 328 reviews

Reviews for Propofol

For Anesthesia: "I was administered propofol for the first time for a upper endoscopy. Despite repeated reassurance I was quite nervous that the medication would not work for me given an extensive use of recreational drugs, including use of cannabis which I heard can affect propofol (not sure if this is true) Anesthesiologist was informed, and I had to await his decision if he would continue given that I had smoked cannabis that day. He decided to proceed. Upon injection an intense burn was felt as it was coursing through my veins. It was quite uncomfortable and I was audibly in pain for a few seconds. Luckily this ended very quickly as everything became blurry than dark (about 10 seconds from injection to lights out). Had no clue I was even getting a procedure done, I woke up about an hour and a half later. Woke up dazed and shivering. But the best sleep of my life despite it being so short, but there was no memory of anything after going out until waking up."

Snapps December 16, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I was given propofol for the first time during a colonoscopy. I had researched ahead of time so I already knew from reading other reviews to ask the anesthesiologist about burning when it was administered and whether they gave lidocaine with it (they did). There was still a slight burn but it was only mildly uncomfortable. I gently drifted off to sleep and then woke up in recovery. I did have the sense I had slept and had a dream but could not recall the dream. Some reviewers stated they had nightmares but I didn't have that. I did get a headache later in the day but I really don't know if it was due to the propofol. It was quickly resolved with a couple of ibuprofen. Otherwise, I had no adverse effects. I never became dizzy or unsteady. The only odd thing was once I was home I felt like I wanted to sleep but felt wired at the same time and was therefore unable to sleep. Not a big deal, really. I know meds affect people differently, but for me I had no problems."

DK (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2018

For Anesthesia: "RN Anesthesiologist from nationally known anesthesiology consultants and well known Gastroenterologist could not begin esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) on me. Apparently, I became combative (no memory of this) after given propofol. I was told by the physician, anesthesiologist, two RN's and two other medical personnel in the recovery room that they have never seen this happen before. I will continue researching why I had an adverse reaction to the drug and will reach out to the anesthesiologist group for the truth. Hope this helps others."

Diane (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I had Colonoscopy on yesterday. Propofol was given. It knock me out then they woke me up in recovery. I was groggy and confused and jittery with spasms. Now next day today I am jittery, spasms and feels like I have Parkinsons and I am not feeling well. Is this normal? When will it wear off?"

Silk (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I had my second colonoscopy today. For the first one, they used Versed, which did not work on me at all. I could recall every word said during the procedure. Today, because of the first experience they used propofol. It was great. Went to sleep immediately, remember nothing (even though they asked me after if there was discomfort because they were trying to straighten out a section of colon.). I am fine now, a few hours later. No ill effects."

SueZQ (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I just had a colonoscopy and they gave me Propofol. I woke up fine. I was extremely thirsty, then went to eat and I could not swallow my food.......very scary. In less than 30 minutes my throat was on fire and I could barely talk. 7 hours later it actually feels like it has gotten worse. This has never happen to me. 3rd colonoscopy - 54 years old, not sure if they used Propofol before. I'm telling them never to use it again. I am in extreme pain!! Plus I'm hungry and can't really eat. Not liking Propofol:("

Crazy Propofol Sore Throat November 6, 2018

For Anesthesia: "They used this to put me to sleep for my colonoscopy and also to check my digestive problems. Went to sleep fast and when I woke up I was a little high. lol I could not quit talking and then I was talking about Bradley Cooper lol I am going this weekend to see the movie Star is Born. Why why Bradley lol. I felt great going to my room got dressed and still talking a lot to the nurse and my sister. Then when the doctor came in saying all kinds of things to him. I loved this medication. Of course I would never use it except for surgery. No side effects at all."

Nettie (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Had Propofol twice for colos. It's great for me. This time I did feel a quick tingle in the face before I went out...and I felt a slight burning in my sinuses- but not too bad. It only last a couple of seconds because you are out almost immediately. Best sleep I have ever had...and awakened easily after procedure. I prefer this anesth to any other drug."

Geno (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I am 50 years old and was given Propofol before my first colonoscopy. I was out very quickly and remember nothing about the procedure. About 25 minutes after I was put out, I awoke feeling groggy. Within 30 minutes or so I was on my way home. I felt very groggy afterwards and had very little appetite. Also, my whole head was aching. When I got home I ate a little soup and crackers then went to sleep for 4 hours. Woke up still feeling groggy, ate dinner an felt a little better. Went to bed a little early and woke up the next day feeling perfect. Overall I can't complain too much about this drug, despite the hung over feeling afterward. It didn't help that my friends who also had propofol felt perfectly fine afterward - "refreshed" was the word that they used most often. I guess my body processes things differently..."

Ann October 11, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Contains soybean oil and egg. Why would it have these allergens it is?????"

Anonymous October 2, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I'm 57 years old and had my first colonoscopy today; Propofol was used for the sedation - I didn't have any issues at all with the scope, however, when I was in the recovery chair my throat started to hurt so bad, my glands in my neck and I began to loose my voice. My throat hurt so bad it felt like strep throat. I believe that is an allergic reaction to it, my lips swelled a little bit too. 15 hours later and I still have a sore throat and raspy voice. I wanted to share my experience as I don't know if this is common or rare side effect."

Grammie (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Propofol put me into anaphylactic shock. I've had several colonoscopies, but I had never taken Propofol before. I was asked if I were allergic to eggs or soy. I said no, but I said I have a severe allergy to polyethylene glycol (PEG), which is why I can't take GoLytely or Miralax. I was never told that, besides eggs and soy, Propofol is made with propylene glycol (PG), virtually the same as PEG. I nearly died, and now I have a slew of physical problems. Only take Propofol if you are certain you are not sensitive to PEG or PG (macrogols). I think this allergy is under-reported."

Mac (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Why am I still feeling a brain fog two days later. Just confused."

Debbi N September 11, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I don't usually post on reviews, but felt I should as I have read every review on this site, as I was so very very afraid of having a Gastroscopy under propofol. I had my procedure this morning, and can honestly say I stressed myself out about nothing at all.... The experience of being sedated my by propofol was very pleasant. I was wheeled into the room, asked to lie on my side, and the cannula was put into my hand (worst bit) the anaesthetist chatted to me about where I worked, and I said “ have you already given me something because you have two heads” he laughed, and that was the last I know about it. I woke up in recovery from a dream I was having, and after 20 mins was having a cup of tea and a biscuit. I'm now home and just fine, if a little tired. I can honestly say I won't fear having a sedation ever again! So anyone who is worried, please try not to, I'm a huge coward and it was easy :)"

Bambam (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Had an injection of Propofol for my colonoscopy today. I am 28, in pretty good health and no allergies, but I was anxious about anethesia since I had never been under before. Thankfully this drug worked great. Last thing I remember is the nurse starting to administering it through the IV tube and I was out within 3-5 seconds. Woke up about 20 min after the procedure with no side effects other than feeling somewhat groggy. Was able to drink and eat almost right away. Now (5 hours later) I feel totally fine, maybe a bit tired, but no drowsiness or any unpleasant side effects."

Sasha (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2018

For Anesthesia: "My partner was recently overdosed in ICU with massive dose of propofol. He's now having hallucinations and agitation. I am hoping it will pass. Does anyone have any advice or similar experience?"

Meg (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2018

For Anesthesia: "It has been 3 weeks since my colonoscopy and I am getting worse. Came home with slight headache, but the headache and neck pain are getting so bad that I'm experiencing nausea. Never had incontinence before, but that's getting worse. Even when I don't feel any urge to urinate, I pee on the floor. I don't want to go back to the same dr, because I've just gotten excuses before. But I don't know where to go, other than the emergency room."

fred (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2018

For Anesthesia: "This drug needs to be taken off the market and until then all students should be banned from being able to administrate the drug, I was overdosed by a nurse in a hospital in Oxford UK, she was registered to be able to administrate the drug."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I had a colonoscopy two days ago and I remember being asked to roll over on my left side. The anesthesiologist started to administer the propofol, it burned and felt itchy going in, then my head felt tingly. I knew it was lights out in a matter of seconds. Afterwards I woke up with no drowsiness and very alert. I also had the sneezing and feeling of congestion, but I feel like it is from the oxygen (I've experienced the congestion every time I'm administered oxygen.) So I'm convinced that I had no side effects from the drug."

52 yo female July 25, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Many people have a pleasant experience with Propofol for induction or MAC (monitored anesthesia care). I have had it for both induction and MAC. It worked OK For induction because it was given slowly (I cannot use Versed, so only got propofol). For MAC, it was pushed too fast; arm felt on fire (resident forgot to loosen the BP cuff, so the drug was "stuck"--me and the attending shouted at him to "Get the cuff off!"). I felt "hit on the head" and woke feeling sick (I did not receive other meds--just Propofol; I checked). This was for a chemo-port placement; the same thing happened for a "quick" outpatient procedure where it was pushed fast (I guess they're on a timetable). I felt awful--nausea and difficulty waking up (was told, "Oh, you're wrong, this NEVER causes nausea!") I can't say I'll never use it again, but I'm going to insist on better pre-treatment for nausea."

Andromache July 17, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Just had a endoscopy today and I went asleep in seconds and woke up feeling just a little groggy. But a few hours later I was congested and sneezing like crazy!!"

Janet (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Well, where do I begin. I gave it a 3 because I don't remember the NIGHTMARE AT ALL! I was having a endoscopy done (basically, they send a camera down your throat) I had a reaction to propofol. I went from my incredibly nice polite 33 year old self into a combative patient from hell. They couldn't even do the procedure because I was flayling around and trying to grab the scope thing and hit anyone trying to get close to me, even after they gave me the max amount of the drug for my weight. After that in recovery I guess hated my wife, yelled at her, cussed and in the mix I jumped off the bed and tried to run out of the room. It was bad enough to where a nurse asked her if she felt safe at home... I have never felt so bad in my life. Thank God my wife is a nurse and understood exactly what was going because she had witnessed somebody else having a similar reaction. So no more propofol for me "

Bob (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Had my colonoscopy today and was given propophol. Everything went well during the procedure. After waking I was offered juice and peanut butter crackers. I noticed that I had a hard time swallowing it so I didn’t eat anymore and figured it was just due to the texture. When I came home I noticed my having difficulty in swallowing. When drinking my throat felt a little closed up. No difficulty breathing. I’m wondering if this is a side effect? I’ve had propophol many times. I am currently on Breo Ellipta inhaler that has cortisone in it for coughing that I have been experiencing off and on for several months. It could be asthma (specialist not sure yet). Definitely not GERD. Anesthesiologist and I discussed all of this and she was not concerned but said she would monitor me closely. If this is still happening in the next day or so I’ll call my doctor. Not sure if others have experienced this. Any feedback would be appreciated."

chicagopd July 3, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I was given propofol this morning for outpatient foot surgery. I’m 61 and in good health. No drug allergies but I avoid general anesthesia when possible. This is the third time I’ve used this drug and I love it. It’s a wonderful slumber drug. Seven hours out of surgery, I’m at home resting. I do have a slight itchy and runny nose and watery eye on the right side. I have never experienced this before. It’s similar to mild hay fever. I’m reading this is common. Small price to pay for this wonder drug. No other side effects!"

Anonymous June 11, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Had a colonoscopy yesterday that went fine - I was out in seconds and felt/remember nothing. The after effects have ruined the experience though. I’m having very bad sinus problems that have been persistent since I got home - a burning in one nostril and constant sneezing, coughing and nasal drip. I’m going to ask for a different drug next time."

Jay (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2018