User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Propofol.

Anesthesia
8.1

Summary of Propofol reviews 8.1 275 reviews

Reviews for Propofol

For Anesthesia: "Have had propofol twice now (once for flexible sigmoidoscopy and once for a colonoscopy). It worked wonderfully for me - woke up feeling like I had a long refreshing nap. I tend to be super sensitive to drugs and usually suffer side effects from them so I am amazed at how good I felt after the propofol. No lasting side effects at all. Sorry to hear it was unpleasant for some!"

Shelsters December 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "At 51 yrs of age, just had my first colonoscopy. Was only given propofol. Woke up smiling and happy, saying, " I just had the BEST nap!" Within minutes I was dressed & on my way home. No nausea whatsoever. This drug worked great for me and I thank the researchers and company that developed it. I'd been under general anesthesia before (fentanyl?) and didn't wake up as well-rested & nausea-free as with the propofol."

Orchid77 November 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "had a colonoscopy and right after awaking I have been sneezing and have a very runny nose! hope it doesn't last long!"

hairgal November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I had endoscopy with oxygen and propolol? Immediately upon waking I started sneezing and with runny nose. My ribs are sore from sneezing,. I've read many threads of same problem. Why isn't anything being done about it. My Dr said see my GP. Passing the buck. Nurses playing dumb too. I'm on day 3 and no relief with benadryl, nasal sprays, etc, can anyone tell me how long this horrible reaction will last?"

Castaway girl November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had propofol last year for an upper GI, woke up screaming crying but didn't feel terrible. However, a few days later I had gastrointestinal issues like never before and anxiety, panic, and what felt like I was having a heart attack. This happened twice and I went to two different ERs. Just anxiety. Just had a D&C yesterday and they used Versed, propofol, and fentanyl. Felt worse coming out of this due to it being heavier sleep but was "off" the rest of the day and this morning. Today I felt pretty good but started getting the anxiety panic chest thing again. I think it's the propofol that has some sort of side effect. Feels like a lighter version of last year. Scary stuff. I hope it doesn't continue!"

Sara1657 November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had several surgeries: Left Shoulder Replacement,open reduction internal fixation (ORIF) left elbow, small bowel resection, & Left knee arthroscopic. Was given several drugs including Propofol with no problems whatsoever. Highly recommend."

Serenity1952 November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I had a colonoscopy and an EGD today. The doctor used propofol for the anesthesia. I thought it was great. Went to sleep very quickly. After the procedure I woke up quickly and felt fine. I was a little unsteady at first but that didn't last long. I was out of there quicker than in the last under a different anesthesia. Afterwards went to Red Lobster and had a great meal."

nitehaze November 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "This was my second colonoscopy and my first using Propofol. I was not showing any signs of a cold prior to getting on the gurney. I was out like a light quickly but when I woke up I was full of mucous and coughing like crazy. My throat was so sore that I could barely swallow and it was extremely difficult for me to speak. My procedure was on Friday and it is now Sunday and although my throat feels much better, I'm still coughing up mucous. If it doesn't get better by tomorrow I'll go see my GP. Propofol may be great for some, but not for me."

Debhigh October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Was given this for a colonoscopy. Was knocked out quickly and woke up without nausea. I did develop a very sore neck and shoulders afterwards. Do not know if this was from sleeping wrong or from the drug."

Psychokitty October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I just had a colonoscopy today. They use propofol. It worked great. I woke up and felt good. Last time I had a colonoscopy 10 years ago, they used versed. It made me very nauseous. I was thankful for this good experience."

Alleysue September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had colonoscopy September 2017 and was given propofol as anesthesia. Woke up great after the procedure but nose was stuffy. Was told oxygen does that as it dries out your nasal passages. Went home and had reaction similar to a bad cold. Could not quit sneezing, runny nose, sinus pressure,etc."

Newbie7 September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Severe cramping and burning sensation almost breathless with pain; my arm went into a spasm. All this lasted about 10- 15 seconds - they must have heard me in the waiting room. Just glad it didn't stop my heart."

Charlie king September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I am 66 years old and have had a number of colonoscopies. The anesthesiologist has never used Propofol on me before. This was the 1st time that I have ever been totally knocked for the procedure. My colonoscopy was last Monday, 9/11/17. I have had one day since then that I felt normal. My 1st reaction was arriving home totally out of this world and after making it to the bed, sleeping for the next 12 house with my clothes on. When I woke up I had a severe headache across my face. Needless to say I did not go back to work until Wednesday. Wednesday, I felt normal until the end of the day when the headache emerged now in the crown of my head. Thursday and Friday, the headaches have continued. However, I am pretty much normal now."

Neverfeltlikethis (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had this drug for a colonoscopy and it was wonderful. I was very nervous and the wheeled me into the room and the doctor said hello and explained the procedure and said “enjoy your nap!” I saw them push the drug into my IV , felt a rush to my head and I was out cold. Next thing I know the nurse was waking me up on the way to recovery. I stretched and said that was the best sleep ever! I felt like I had been napping on the sofa. Less groggy even! Great drug."

Carcat1 September 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I've just had this drug about an hour ago I was scared to death I actually backed out last month. The nurses at my hospital were the best. I had it gone to sleep and woke up felt like nothing ever happened I have a phobia of being high and I wasn't at all this is the perfect drug I will recommend it to anyone and I would definitely get it again"

Godslight August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "It was the first time I had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy. I was quite anxious about possibly feeling pain. Not at all. Simply perfect. Three seconds is all I can remember after being given the propofol. Woke up in recovery room two hours later feeling perfectly normal, no pain at all and totally lucid."

Gustavo30 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Was given propofol for a colonoscopy a few years ago without incident--it was quick acting and then vanished immediately afterward with zero negative effects. Conversely, a week ago had surgery that required anesthesia and was given fentanyl--amongst other odd side-effects this medication made me feel loopy and goofy for a full five days afterward...so unsettling. I hope never to experience the fentanyl version of anesthesia ever again."

Natural mom August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had to go in for an upper endoscopy. Was super nervous, as this was my first procedure ever. They put me under with propofol, and then I woke up in recovery. Couldn't have gone any easier. Couldn't have been any simpler. Hope I can help some relax a little, it really wasn't anything to stress about. Wish I knew that 2 days ago. lol. Best of luck to all o/"

Vallen71 August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I recently had a colonoscopy and when I woke up I felt fine. I've had this drug with a previous colonoscopy and had no problems whatsoever. several days after the procedure I my vision was blurred and I was seeing double. My heart felt like it was racing so I took my blood pressure and it was elevated despite being on blood pressure meds. I also had three separate weird events happen that day that are hard to describe. I finally concluded that they were some type of hallucinations. My vision still isn't perfect and it has been several weeks. Fortunately the hallucinations have ceased. Not sure I would want to have this drug again."

Rainy247 August 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Woke up coughing from a colonoscopy in which propofol was used. My mouth was filled with mucus, my nose was full and running (used 1/2 box of tissues),my throat was horribly painful and when the doctor came to see what was wrong I couldn't tell him because I now had laryngitis and couldn't be understood. No one ever suctioned my mouth. It is now two days later and my voice is coming back, my throat is getting better, my nose is clear but I am still coughing up mucus. I will need to have it checked because I don't want to be diagnosed with aspirated pneumonia which is a common side effect. I will never use this drug again. Have had two other colonoscopies in the past and had no side effects. Ask for another drug."

Granted July 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I just had my third colonoscopy in the past 12 years and propofol was the anesthesia of choice by my doctor. No side effects whatsoever and felt great when regaining consciousness. Walked right out with my daughter and spent the rest of the day and evening wide awake until 10 p.m. Good stuff and I would definitely recommend it."

BK (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Had colonoscopy yesterday. I am sensitive to most meds and have never had any type of anesthesia in my 66 years. This worked beautifully with no lingering effects. Was awake within 3 minutes of cessation of anesthesia administration and out of the hospital within 15 minutes of that time. Dressed myself with no assistance. Went to lunch under my own power. This is day after with no negative symptoms of any type."

JimGMGlobal July 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "Absolutely amazing! I was out after two seconds and woke up to a nice pleasant feeling that lingered for about 15 minutes. The dizziness lingered throughout the day so listen when they say not to drive for up to 12 hours. I was able to drive with no problem after about 10 hours. Great anesthesia!"

Walnutt June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "I had a colonoscopy yesterday and told them I am very sensitive to drugs and I only want twilight, well within 2 seconds I was out cold with no memory of what went on. I don't like that...came home and a headache came on, woke the next morning with a stiff neck and headache. IMO a colonoscopy is not worth the risks this drug offers. Next time no anesthesia"

nancyscherer June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anesthesia: "If you are going to be sedated with Propofol, be sure to request that a nurse or someone stays with you the whole time you are in recovery. The medication doesn't keep you sedated long enough. Apparently, I woke up from the sedation and unknowingly climbed out of the hospital bed to retrieve something from my bag of belongings and while doing so, I fell and hurt my right knee, arm, and jaw! I made it back in bed before any of the nurses knew I fell. They ended up wheeling me out of the hospitality in a wheelchair. Be careful with Propofol. It will make you do stupid things snd you won't remember it or figure it out until the next day. I'm going to request some other form of sedative next time."

Cynthia W. (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2017