User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Anesthesia

Summary of Propofol reviews 7.9 320 reviews

Reviews for Propofol

For Anesthesia: "I am 50 years old and was given Propofol before my first colonoscopy. I was out very quickly and remember nothing about the procedure. About 25 minutes after I was put out, I awoke feeling groggy. Within 30 minutes or so I was on my way home. I felt very groggy afterwards and had very little appetite. Also, my whole head was aching. When I got home I ate a little soup and crackers then went to sleep for 4 hours. Woke up still feeling groggy, ate dinner an felt a little better. Went to bed a little early and woke up the next day feeling perfect. Overall I can't complain too much about this drug, despite the hung over feeling afterward. It didn't help that my friends who also had propofol felt perfectly fine afterward - "refreshed" was the word that they used most often. I guess my body processes things differently..."

Ann October 11, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Contains soybean oil and egg. Why would it have these allergens it is?????"

Anonymous October 2, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I'm 57 years old and had my first colonoscopy today; Propofol was used for the sedation - I didn't have any issues at all with the scope, however, when I was in the recovery chair my throat started to hurt so bad, my glands in my neck and I began to loose my voice. My throat hurt so bad it felt like strep throat. I believe that is an allergic reaction to it, my lips swelled a little bit too. 15 hours later and I still have a sore throat and raspy voice. I wanted to share my experience as I don't know if this is common or rare side effect."

Grammie (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Propofol put me into anaphylactic shock. I've had several colonoscopies, but I had never taken Propofol before. I was asked if I were allergic to eggs or soy. I said no, but I said I have a severe allergy to polyethylene glycol (PEG), which is why I can't take GoLytely or Miralax. I was never told that, besides eggs and soy, Propofol is made with propylene glycol (PG), virtually the same as PEG. I nearly died, and now I have a slew of physical problems. Only take Propofol if you are certain you are not sensitive to PEG or PG (macrogols). I think this allergy is under-reported."

Mac (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Why am I still feeling a brain fog two days later. Just confused."

Debbi N September 11, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I don't usually post on reviews, but felt I should as I have read every review on this site, as I was so very very afraid of having a Gastroscopy under propofol. I had my procedure this morning, and can honestly say I stressed myself out about nothing at all.... The experience of being sedated my by propofol was very pleasant. I was wheeled into the room, asked to lie on my side, and the cannula was put into my hand (worst bit) the anaesthetist chatted to me about where I worked, and I said “ have you already given me something because you have two heads” he laughed, and that was the last I know about it. I woke up in recovery from a dream I was having, and after 20 mins was having a cup of tea and a biscuit. I'm now home and just fine, if a little tired. I can honestly say I won't fear having a sedation ever again! So anyone who is worried, please try not to, I'm a huge coward and it was easy :)"

Bambam (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Had an injection of Propofol for my colonoscopy today. I am 28, in pretty good health and no allergies, but I was anxious about anethesia since I had never been under before. Thankfully this drug worked great. Last thing I remember is the nurse starting to administering it through the IV tube and I was out within 3-5 seconds. Woke up about 20 min after the procedure with no side effects other than feeling somewhat groggy. Was able to drink and eat almost right away. Now (5 hours later) I feel totally fine, maybe a bit tired, but no drowsiness or any unpleasant side effects."

Sasha (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2018

For Anesthesia: "My partner was recently overdosed in ICU with massive dose of propofol. He's now having hallucinations and agitation. I am hoping it will pass. Does anyone have any advice or similar experience?"

Meg (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2018

For Anesthesia: "It has been 3 weeks since my colonoscopy and I am getting worse. Came home with slight headache, but the headache and neck pain are getting so bad that I'm experiencing nausea. Never had incontinence before, but that's getting worse. Even when I don't feel any urge to urinate, I pee on the floor. I don't want to go back to the same dr, because I've just gotten excuses before. But I don't know where to go, other than the emergency room."

fred (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2018

For Anesthesia: "This drug needs to be taken off the market and until then all students should be banned from being able to administrate the drug, I was overdosed by a nurse in a hospital in Oxford UK, she was registered to be able to administrate the drug."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I had a colonoscopy two days ago and I remember being asked to roll over on my left side. The anesthesiologist started to administer the propofol, it burned and felt itchy going in, then my head felt tingly. I knew it was lights out in a matter of seconds. Afterwards I woke up with no drowsiness and very alert. I also had the sneezing and feeling of congestion, but I feel like it is from the oxygen (I've experienced the congestion every time I'm administered oxygen.) So I'm convinced that I had no side effects from the drug."

52 yo female July 25, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Many people have a pleasant experience with Propofol for induction or MAC (monitored anesthesia care). I have had it for both induction and MAC. It worked OK For induction because it was given slowly (I cannot use Versed, so only got propofol). For MAC, it was pushed too fast; arm felt on fire (resident forgot to loosen the BP cuff, so the drug was "stuck"--me and the attending shouted at him to "Get the cuff off!"). I felt "hit on the head" and woke feeling sick (I did not receive other meds--just Propofol; I checked). This was for a chemo-port placement; the same thing happened for a "quick" outpatient procedure where it was pushed fast (I guess they're on a timetable). I felt awful--nausea and difficulty waking up (was told, "Oh, you're wrong, this NEVER causes nausea!") I can't say I'll never use it again, but I'm going to insist on better pre-treatment for nausea."

Andromache July 17, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Just had a endoscopy today and I went asleep in seconds and woke up feeling just a little groggy. But a few hours later I was congested and sneezing like crazy!!"

Janet (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Well, where do I begin. I gave it a 3 because I don't remember the NIGHTMARE AT ALL! I was having a endoscopy done (basically, they send a camera down your throat) I had a reaction to propofol. I went from my incredibly nice polite 33 year old self into a combative patient from hell. They couldn't even do the procedure because I was flayling around and trying to grab the scope thing and hit anyone trying to get close to me, even after they gave me the max amount of the drug for my weight. After that in recovery I guess hated my wife, yelled at her, cussed and in the mix I jumped off the bed and tried to run out of the room. It was bad enough to where a nurse asked her if she felt safe at home... I have never felt so bad in my life. Thank God my wife is a nurse and understood exactly what was going because she had witnessed somebody else having a similar reaction. So no more propofol for me "

Bob (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Had my colonoscopy today and was given propophol. Everything went well during the procedure. After waking I was offered juice and peanut butter crackers. I noticed that I had a hard time swallowing it so I didn’t eat anymore and figured it was just due to the texture. When I came home I noticed my having difficulty in swallowing. When drinking my throat felt a little closed up. No difficulty breathing. I’m wondering if this is a side effect? I’ve had propophol many times. I am currently on Breo Ellipta inhaler that has cortisone in it for coughing that I have been experiencing off and on for several months. It could be asthma (specialist not sure yet). Definitely not GERD. Anesthesiologist and I discussed all of this and she was not concerned but said she would monitor me closely. If this is still happening in the next day or so I’ll call my doctor. Not sure if others have experienced this. Any feedback would be appreciated."

chicagopd July 3, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I was given propofol this morning for outpatient foot surgery. I’m 61 and in good health. No drug allergies but I avoid general anesthesia when possible. This is the third time I’ve used this drug and I love it. It’s a wonderful slumber drug. Seven hours out of surgery, I’m at home resting. I do have a slight itchy and runny nose and watery eye on the right side. I have never experienced this before. It’s similar to mild hay fever. I’m reading this is common. Small price to pay for this wonder drug. No other side effects!"

Anonymous June 11, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Had a colonoscopy yesterday that went fine - I was out in seconds and felt/remember nothing. The after effects have ruined the experience though. I’m having very bad sinus problems that have been persistent since I got home - a burning in one nostril and constant sneezing, coughing and nasal drip. I’m going to ask for a different drug next time."

Jay (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I can echo some of the positive comments here concerning propofol for short, monitored procedures such as a colon or endoscopy, both of which I have had recently. Propofol does indeed knock you out in short order and most people remember nothing of what occurred while under sedation. Patients, please take seriously the precautions against driving or making important decisions for at least 24 hours after administration. I found that I was mentally out of it the entire rest of the day after my procedure, even though I felt fine. I lost track of time easily and had some (momentary) difficulty remembering why and how I wound up at my friend's house that evening for supper. After a brief second or two, it dawned on me that I had been sedated that morning. But I would not have wanted to be in a position of having to test either my reflexes or short term memory. After the first day, all was clear and I had no adverse side effects."

Richard (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Had a colonoscopy 9 days ago. Had one 20 years ago with Versed/Fentanyl with no problem. This time the Dr said they only use Propofol. I fell asleep quickly and had no memory of the procedure....but I had to be suctioned for excess drooling and coughing while I was under. My throat felt like I had eaten a razor blade. I was woozy, woobly and felt like I couldn't think right for 4 days. I had and still have deep laryngitis and low grade temp. I feel awful. Will not use Propofol again."

Stillsick May 30, 2018

For Anesthesia: "No more Propofol for me! The procedure itself was fine, but since I was released, I am plagued with violent sneezing, burning eyes, constant dripping nose, and sharp pain in my left nostril. Internet search seems to reveal that it as to do with an extra safety precaution when using Propofol, with forced O2 etc in the nostrils. Some people said this lasted for four days! I never had any problems with the light sedation, and wish I had been given the choice on whether or not I wanted deep sedation."

kj May 15, 2018

For Anesthesia: "This stuff is great. I was given this earlier this week for minor surgery and I told the anesthesiologist and my surgeon that I metabolize meds quickly. They had intended to use moderate "light" anesthesia for my short procedure, but I wouldn't stay in it with the lower dose of propofol so they had to induce deep sedation with it, but I still breathed on my own. I had Versed to calm me beforehand, so don't remember this drug being administered, but it definitely did the job because I woke up in recovery with no memory after going into the OR and my surgeon asking me how I was feeling as she helped me onto the OR table and after the Versed wore off I felt pretty coherent and not at all groggy. =I am allergic to Sulfa drugs and some of the generic versions of this can have sulfa in them, so I did ask my anesthesiologist and he gave me the brand name Diprivan because of it, He had noticed my allergy in my medical chart, but I had wanted to make sure. This stuff is great!"

N/A May 3, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Had this for an upper endoscopy that took 10 minutes. Woke up, they rolled me to my room to get dressed, drank a ginger ale, spoke with Dr. and was on my way. Admittance to discharge less than an hour. Walked 3 miles 4 hours later. Felt great Have to have a follow up endoscopy in 6 weeks and know it will be a breeze again."

kbj (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

For Anesthesia: "78-year-old female. Had propofol for colonoscopy yesterday. I went out before feeling any warmth as was told I would. The rest of the day I felt like a million dollars and did not rest once. Today when the doctor's office called I asked what the anesthesia was, I was told the name and the fact that it was what Michael Jackson was hooked on. I can understand why...great rest and amazing pep. BTW I had no nausea or other side effects."

pnsret (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I've just finished my colonoscopy which went like clockwork. Actually the only pain was inserting the needle on the back of my hand. I saw the nurse anesthetist administer the propofol I was out after 3 seconds. So far I feel fine! Even went shopping at SAMs!"

SusieB April 20, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I woke up quick and it didn't give me a groggy feeling."

Dancin' Machine (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018