User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Anesthesia

Summary of Propofol reviews 8.0 306 reviews

Reviews for Propofol

For Anesthesia: "Had my colonoscopy today and was given propophol. Everything went well during the procedure. After waking I was offered juice and peanut butter crackers. I noticed that I had a hard time swallowing it so I didn’t eat anymore and figured it was just due to the texture. When I came home I noticed my having difficulty in swallowing. When drinking my throat felt a little closed up. No difficulty breathing. I’m wondering if this is a side effect? I’ve had propophol many times. I am currently on Breo Ellipta inhaler that has cortisone in it for coughing that I have been experiencing off and on for several months. It could be asthma (specialist not sure yet). Definitely not GERD. Anesthesiologist and I discussed all of this and she was not concerned but said she would monitor me closely. If this is still happening in the next day or so I’ll call my doctor. Not sure if others have experienced this. Any feedback would be appreciated."

chicagopd July 3, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I was given propofol this morning for outpatient foot surgery. I’m 61 and in good health. No drug allergies but I avoid general anesthesia when possible. This is the third time I’ve used this drug and I love it. It’s a wonderful slumber drug. Seven hours out of surgery, I’m at home resting. I do have a slight itchy and runny nose and watery eye on the right side. I have never experienced this before. It’s similar to mild hay fever. I’m reading this is common. Small price to pay for this wonder drug. No other side effects!"

Anonymous June 11, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Had a colonoscopy yesterday that went fine - I was out in seconds and felt/remember nothing. The after effects have ruined the experience though. I’m having very bad sinus problems that have been persistent since I got home - a burning in one nostril and constant sneezing, coughing and nasal drip. I’m going to ask for a different drug next time."

Jay (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I can echo some of the positive comments here concerning propofol for short, monitored procedures such as a colon or endoscopy, both of which I have had recently. Propofol does indeed knock you out in short order and most people remember nothing of what occurred while under sedation. Patients, please take seriously the precautions against driving or making important decisions for at least 24 hours after administration. I found that I was mentally out of it the entire rest of the day after my procedure, even though I felt fine. I lost track of time easily and had some (momentary) difficulty remembering why and how I wound up at my friend's house that evening for supper. After a brief second or two, it dawned on me that I had been sedated that morning. But I would not have wanted to be in a position of having to test either my reflexes or short term memory. After the first day, all was clear and I had no adverse side effects."

Richard (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Had a colonoscopy 9 days ago. Had one 20 years ago with Versed/Fentanyl with no problem. This time the Dr said they only use Propofol. I fell asleep quickly and had no memory of the procedure....but I had to be suctioned for excess drooling and coughing while I was under. My throat felt like I had eaten a razor blade. I was woozy, woobly and felt like I couldn't think right for 4 days. I had and still have deep laryngitis and low grade temp. I feel awful. Will not use Propofol again."

Stillsick May 30, 2018

For Anesthesia: "No more Propofol for me! The procedure itself was fine, but since I was released, I am plagued with violent sneezing, burning eyes, constant dripping nose, and sharp pain in my left nostril. Internet search seems to reveal that it as to do with an extra safety precaution when using Propofol, with forced O2 etc in the nostrils. Some people said this lasted for four days! I never had any problems with the light sedation, and wish I had been given the choice on whether or not I wanted deep sedation."

kj May 15, 2018

For Anesthesia: "This stuff is great. I was given this earlier this week for minor surgery and I told the anesthesiologist and my surgeon that I metabolize meds quickly. They had intended to use moderate "light" anesthesia for my short procedure, but I wouldn't stay in it with the lower dose of propofol so they had to induce deep sedation with it, but I still breathed on my own. I had Versed to calm me beforehand, so don't remember this drug being administered, but it definitely did the job because I woke up in recovery with no memory after going into the OR and my surgeon asking me how I was feeling as she helped me onto the OR table and after the Versed wore off I felt pretty coherent and not at all groggy. =I am allergic to Sulfa drugs and some of the generic versions of this can have sulfa in them, so I did ask my anesthesiologist and he gave me the brand name Diprivan because of it, He had noticed my allergy in my medical chart, but I had wanted to make sure. This stuff is great!"

N/A May 3, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Had this for an upper endoscopy that took 10 minutes. Woke up, they rolled me to my room to get dressed, drank a ginger ale, spoke with Dr. and was on my way. Admittance to discharge less than an hour. Walked 3 miles 4 hours later. Felt great Have to have a follow up endoscopy in 6 weeks and know it will be a breeze again."

kbj (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

For Anesthesia: "78-year-old female. Had propofol for colonoscopy yesterday. I went out before feeling any warmth as was told I would. The rest of the day I felt like a million dollars and did not rest once. Today when the doctor's office called I asked what the anesthesia was, I was told the name and the fact that it was what Michael Jackson was hooked on. I can understand why...great rest and amazing pep. BTW I had no nausea or other side effects."

pnsret (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I've just finished my colonoscopy which went like clockwork. Actually the only pain was inserting the needle on the back of my hand. I saw the nurse anesthetist administer the propofol I was out after 3 seconds. So far I feel fine! Even went shopping at SAMs!"

SusieB April 20, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I woke up quick and it didn't give me a groggy feeling."

Dancin' Machine (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I am 59 yr old 140 lb woman and had 420 mg propofol three days ago, for an endoscopy that lasted ~ 45 minutes - I have an extra long, redundant colon and needed extra medication for the scoping to be completed. I was very nervous because the last time I had this done (8 years ago) they couldn't complete it due to the twists, and my pain. This time it went great. The team was excellent . The propofol or oxygen didn't burn or cause any nasal problems. I saw an orange blur and then what felt like moments later, thought that it hadn't worked because I was waking up; I was in the recovery area, all done! I felt very normal afterwards, was walking within 15 minutes, went shopping (but should not have eaten Brussel sprouts. Big mistake, so much gas pain the next day!). I am today having some heart flutters (unusual for me), which is why I googled and found this conversation place."

Raddle March 30, 2018

For Anesthesia: "ABSOULTELY AMAZING!! Going in for my endoscopy I was wicked nervous... I’ve never had any procedure before and I don’t even drink so this was like my biggest fear. I was petrified to wake up nasueous so I let them know ahead of time and they said absolutely no problem and put zofran in my IV prior. After that she said ok I’m gonna put the propofol in you may feel burning going in. I didn’t feel a thing! She said you’re doing great almost all in then I started to feel honestly high ha ha and then I was out! Woke up felt great, I’ve woken up from natural naps feeling much worse and then about 5 mins after I got up they put me in a chair. I was a little dizzy but no big deal. And within 20 mins I was good to go. I’ve seen and read so many ridiculous things. From people waking up acting a fool to people saying they felt sick to there stomach. I was a ok! But my surgical center was also amazing! Good old Massachusetts! Good luck everyone!"

Ecxtc508 (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

For Anesthesia: "My colonoscopy was yesterday morning and 1st time having propofol. I don't remember counting backwards only being asked to lay on my side and then was out. Within minutes of waking developed a burning in my upper right nostril and immediately started sneezing which started the waterfall from my nose which is worse then the water from my bowels for the prep. Its been over 24 hrs now and no change.Also having post nasal drip and a hard cough causing headaches. To top it off I've had to change my pants 6 times today because, well I've had 4 kids and my bladder and coughing don't mix well. I am finding a small amount of relief by either a cotton ball or tissue shoved up my right nostril.Although I have read many posts since starting this issue yesterday, my Dr.s office has never before heard of anything like this. Maybe propofol related, possibly oxygen related but either way I'm very upset with my medical team. Went in with water running out one end came out with mucus running out the other!"

Sandi March 27, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I had propofol for a colonoscopy yesterday and woke up sneezing non stop. I was fine when I went in and no signs of any cold or congestion. I’m a nurse, so I knew something wasn’t right. I’ve had too many surgeries to count due to breast cancer, and never had a reaction like this. My eyes were swollen and running, my nose was stopped up on one side but pouring like crazy and I started coughing. The nurses tried to say it was from the oxygen through a nasal cannula that had dried me out. I wasn’t dry though! It was so bad that I came home and had to take 2 Benadryl. I know what an allergic reaction feels like due to numerous other allergies. Today my eyes are still swollen and runny and I’m still sneezing and have a runny/stuffy nose and cough. I hope this goes away soon! I’m afraid if I try propofol again, I may have an anaphylactic reaction. I’ve had it before with no reaction, but just like my iodine allergy, the more I was exposed to it the worse the reaction became."

Wendy March 23, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Had a totally positive experience with propofol for combined endoscopy and colonoscopy (worth the news of healthy bowels/stomach), administered by a very (!) bright nurse anesthetist. Post-procedure, awakened fairly groggy, for about ten minutes. Propofol has a confirmed, short, half-life, so the altered personalities (anxious, frightened, paranoid, etc.), days later, chronicled here, likely have to do with personality rather than the drug. What is puzzling to me is that I am a thin, tall woman who needed 400 mg of proplofol to fully sedate me, which is twice, normal. I was monitored carefully for PSI and all that and was never in peril. It may have something to do with my fast metabolism, even though I am a lightweight re: alcohol and drink negligibly."

Nicky March 18, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I had this for chemo port placement/MAC. I’d asked for just local and fentanyl, but anesthesiologist insisted on only Propofol. Swore it never caused nausea. I told him it had before, but wasn’t taken seriously. Burned like crazy because resident didn’t loosen bp cuff, so it didn’t flow well. Woke up with nausea and headache, which meant longer stay. I had it 2 weeks before for induction with fentanyl, so dose was smaller and given very carefully, so it wasn’t bad. This time, no pleasant drifting off. I felt awful next day. Wish they’d listen! I know what works for me. He used Zofran, but no decadron, and I could definitely tell difference in nausea level. Yuck!"

Andromache (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Was to have a implant for spinal stimulator with locals only, Lidocaine. That did not work, so all of a sudden my arm went severely and painfully cold and my arm no longer felt like a human arm. It was cold with a cold steel metallic feeling, like a metal beam. It was hurting like crazy. The nurse said that is just the effect of the propofol. Mercifully, I finally went to sleep. No bad effects when I awakened. I do not want it again!"

Wary One (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Had an endoscopy today and it went great, thanks to this medication! Felt a little warm as she was injecting the propofol. The first thing I noticed as I was receiving this med was my ears feeling full and the sound was muffled and then I basically blacked out. Apparently during the procedure I had woken up (which I don't remember) and they had to give me a little extra. I felt fine afterwards, no nausea or headache. Just tired throughout the day."

ang123 March 8, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Asked to not have anesthesia. 3 doctors and 2 nurses saying he needs propofol because less side effects, etc. Bullied into having it, but only minimal amount. Did not wake up immediately. Kept falling back to sleep. Left hospital to get lunch then home. Immediately started napping in his recliner. Very lethargic for the rest of the day. Lots of congestion and blowing his nose still 3 days after. Also still lack of energy. Memory has been affected. Not a good drug because of side effects! !!!!!!"

Pop (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Had propofal as well as fentanyl for pilonidal sinus excision. First ever operation & went so much better than I thought. This stuff is good! (Am 23 yr old female)"

Loz (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

For Anesthesia: "30 yo male. Put under for colonoscopy and endoscopy. Total time on propofol was about 1 hour. It burned a little going in and knocked me out within seconds. It felt like I took a really good nap. I felt groggy and slightly off balance for about 2 hours after that (like if you had a few beers). My thought process felt a little foggy for the rest of the day but I was able to do household chores. I ended up having chills and fever (100.8) about 4 hours after my procedure and for the rest of the evening and night. It's currently the next day and I feel fine now and my temperature as returned to normal."

matt (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

For Anesthesia: "I just had propofol for a colonoscopy and the sedation itself was wonderful. I was out cold and recovered quickly. However immediately upon awakening I had nasal congestion which cleared up quickly, and my eyes still feel dry, scratchy and burning hours later. I mentioned it to the postop nurse and she asked me if I had a cold, as if she’d never heard of these side effects before. However upon googling I see many references to these symptoms in postop patients who received propofol with nasal oxygen."

Josi_1980 February 9, 2018

For Anesthesia: "36 y.o female just had my first colonoscopy this a.m. with propofol. Woke up at 10 a.m. No issues. Just tired. I'll take a nap. Chances are I'm tired from the night of bathroom runs and only 4 hours sleep. Usually have versad and fentanyl for my spinals so I was nervous but did well. 30 to 45 min procedure."

Jojo8179 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Burns going in then knocked out. I love it. My wife cries when she woke up when she had it, but not me I feel good just groggy."

Nissan msn (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2018