User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Learn more about Propofol.

Propofol Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 325 medications used in the treatment of Anesthesia.

Reviews for Propofol to treat Anesthesia

"I had my first colon cancer screening and profonol was excellent. I was nervous, but in seconds, went to sleep and procedure was fast and recovery fast. Just a touch of a headache."

Brenda J. (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2016

"Wouldn't have a colonoscopy without it. Why would I want to be aware of the progress of a tube and a camera through my bowels? I go out, I wake up, I can eat again! Never had a side effect. No lingering drowsiness, nothing. If others want to enjoy the colonoscopy experience, fine. I'll stay with my Propofol."

peter1044 (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

"I had my first colonoscopy yesterday. I was given Propofol, now it true light out quickly. Here it is and I am trouble typing, I feel foggy, like I lost coordination, and trouble focusing. Hope this goes away soon."

Technec (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2016

"I was awake during entire procedure. .third time now and I'm scared to have another...I got so much of this medicine and i was talking and raising head the whole time while fighting the dr....I only weigh 118 this drug don't work for me worst experience of my life... :("

Drake's mommy (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2016

"I am a 56 year old male, with a first time Colon exam. 5 years ago, I was also a previous 7 day coma patient from Anaphylactic reaction. I was very nervous of being put under and not waking up. The nurses/attending doctor, and Anesthesiologist all were professional in helping me through. There was a slight burn in the hand it I noticed it travelling up the arm. Before it reached halfway I was out. Awoke in the recovery with a groggy feel from a deep sleep. I went into the room at 10:30, came back out at 10:15. I was up and walking at around 10:40. The overall experience was pleasant."

"Rags/Trigger" June 29, 2016

"71 year old female, 3rd colonoscopy. First 2 with versed, no side effects. This one, with propofol. Went out like a light, no problems, but after the procedure they had a hard time waking me up, and my head, upper body, right arm were shaking, convulsing. It seemed seizure-like, but nurses said it was not a seizure. This continued for almost 2 hours. They gave me versed to bring it under control. The shaking continued. Then they tried benadryl. Finally about an hour after the benadryl the severe shaking began to subside. So much for quick wake up and release. I was in recovery for over 3 hours. The doctor tried to tell me it must be pre-parkinsons symptoms. No way. Couldn't sleep last night, and feel wired and shaky today."

lmmh June 28, 2016

"I had an upper GI endoscopy a few days ago and was so nervous of being awake through the procedure. I guessed that Propofol would be used so I read these reviews and they made me less worried. I went in for my procedure and was so relieved that the Propofol worked so well that I laughed about how worried I was once I woke up in recovery. It was so nice that I could do it again tomorrow I said. They started putting it through the IV and told me I may feel a burn sensation. I barely felt anything but i had a weird smell type sensation. 10 seconds later I was out and waking up in recovery!! I was a tad loopy but within a few minutes I was normal. I took a nap when I got home then had more energy than I have had in days. I felt great!!"

Contacts123 (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2016

"Early 50's male, had my first colonoscopy last week. I had many concerns about being put to sleep for the procedure. No more worries for me next time! Propofol worked perfect for the procedure, full memory of everything but the actual colonoscopy. Nurse woke me up in the procedure room, took me to recovery and was discharged within 15 minutes. Zero side effects. Was instructed not to drive so I had my secretary pick me up at home and worked the rest of the day!"

GolferBoy (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2016

"Amazingly pleasant drug, incredibly enjoyable! I experienced absolutely no side effects at all, including no burning or stinging during injection at all. I was very very anxious prior to the procedure as I've never had anything like this before. I assumed I would still be somewhat awake, nervous, uncomfortable, and loopy during my endoscopy... boy was I wrong! Surprisingly enough, as soon as they just barely started a small amount into the IV, I instantly fell asleep. With this drug, you are still able to breath and all for yourself. It really is just like taking a wonderfully deep nap, and believe me, I was a skeptic! I was so worried about when I would "wake up". Truly to my surprise, I felt AMAZING and so REFRESHED!"

Marie. June 20, 2016

"I had my colonoscopy two days ago and the propofol was excellent at knocking me out and I was awakened by the nurse in my recovery cubicle. I felt pretty good as I woke up, mostly relieved it was over. My only issue with propofol is the extreme fatigue I'm still feeling. I have no energy and not too much of an appetite either. The drained feeling is quite similar to the lack of energy or enthusiasm one feels with depression. I was given propofol once before with another procedure and had the same reaction. I may be someone who doesn't process the drug out of my body quickly, but I have heard others say the same thing. I'm forcing myself to eat as I know the suprep I was given for prep for the colonoscopy drained me and that may a factor."

JenPS June 16, 2016

"I had colonoscopy done with propofol.I am a physician who previously had a colonoscopy with Versed and did great. I asked not to use propofol,but got persuaded into going along with it.It was a nightmare as I awoke with projectile vomiting,severe abdominal pain and distention even though my colonoscopy was totally normal.I have been sick for days.I recently read an article in consumer reports about propofol being used excessively and unnecessarily in colonoscopies and they are correct.There are major risks with this drug even after the fact.These are unnecessary risks when one can use conscious sedation with Versed and not have these side effects or risks.Propofol is being used to speed the turnover in the recovery room....not for safety."

Algut (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

Takeitfromme June 16, 2016

"Out like a light in seconds...Woke up refreshed with no side effects."

Eman1965 June 7, 2016

"Had my second colonoscopy yesterday....am age 71. Propofol worked great falling asleep after a few moments....don't remember anything and woke up okay. Went home and took a long nap and today feel very good...almost joyful that it's over!!"

Eileen B. June 7, 2016

"Had a Colonoscopy on a Tuesday. No issues with the Propofol, and no burning or pain at all. Was out like a light, after just a few seconds, before the procedure. Woke up just fine. After two days was able to drive, but still not feeling 100%. By Sun, still quite tired, sleep ea night is very deep, and if I take a nap, it has been extremely difficult to get up. I sometimes feel a bit of a fog, or "not all there." I thought by now the stuff would have cleared from my system, but it hasn't. BTW, I don't drink coffee or and other drinks with stimulants. Hoping the stuff will clear out of my system soon, so I can feel normal once again. Propofol works fine for most people, but everyone is different, so there will be differing side effects."

Sgadefo June 6, 2016

"I am 72. Had my 5th colonoscopy 2 days ago. Before, I always had Versed, which was wonderful. With propofol, I was out immediately, but awoke feeling disoriented and very scared, like coming out of a deep sleep when the phone rings. Got home and cried for an hour over nothing.Slept all day. 2 days later still having trouble concentrating and feel very tired and out of it, unfocused. Never again."

Nonnie from Michigan (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2016

"I just had my second screening colonoscopy. Due to a family history of colon cancer, my first screening was at age 40. For that procedure, I was given Versed/Demerol, which did not work well for me. It caused agitation, foggy thoughts, prolonged amnesia, and depression that lasted a couple of weeks. This time, using propofol, it was a night-and-day difference. I went out in just 5-10 seconds after injection, and I woke up quickly and smoothly. I have full memory of the recovery room, speaking with the doctor afterward, etc. I took it easy the rest of the day, but I felt fine, with no lingering amnesia or foggy-headedness. For me, it will be propofol only from now on!"

alsmi May 6, 2016

"I got an endoscopy and the anesthesia was great fell asleep and woke up great. Everything was good."

Alexinys April 28, 2016

"Had this for IVF egg collection. I was so anxious reading that sedation you can be awake and it Can be painful. Boy was I wrong. I was under for 10 mins and woke up as though I have had the best sleep in the world no dreams, nada. I woke up feeling amazing. I had the equivalent of 2 paracetamol whilst under and have needed no other pain relief since the procedure. I feel better Than I have felt in a very long time. I think propaganda must have some really good anti anxiotic purpose for sure. I am now 24 hrs past procedure and still feel fab. Wonderful stuff!!!"

Happy wifey April 16, 2016

"I had my first preventative care colonoscopy today (As a male, I joined the "Over 50 Club" this year), and I have to say that I was a bit ambivalent about being sedated for this procedure. As soon as I was administered Propofol intravenously, I was out within 5 seconds! The next thing I knew, I was being awakened in the recovery room, and was out within 10 minutes. The only after effect of my colonoscopy, was feeling a bit crampy, as if I had eaten Mexican food, that was heavy on the beans (sorry for that visual). There was no nausea or other adverse reactions afterwards. All in all, the procedure and administering of Propofol was great!"

VidPS (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

"Got my Endoscopy yesterday and really was a pleasant experience, I also dreamed and suddenly I woke up and everything was done. No pain or discomfort. Great."

aliosha April 14, 2016

"I had my second preventative colonoscopy yesterday and was administered propofol both times. I had incredible dreams with vivid colors, sights and smells with my first experience and joked with the nurses and doctor about letting me sleep just a few minutes longer because i was in the middle of the best dream ever :) I had no dreams yesterday but like most people have said, it's extremely fast acting and I woke up in recovery feeling as if i had a full night's sleep. No residual effects or ill feelings afterwards and went about my day as normal except for driving. I highly recommend this sedation if you've had bad experiences in the past with other types of anesthesia. Research based off of your own medical history. A+ for me."

Jmo69 March 15, 2016

"I'm a 66 yr old healthcare executive woman, hyper active working individual whose brain does not rest like other normal persons . I am always thinking and as a CEO of a large company I never have enough time to rest my brain activity. I even sleep listening to alternative radio all night long! I had 3 C sections and gallbladder surgeries in my 20's and 30's and I resisted the anesthesia. Yesterday I went in for a Biopsy through a Hyperoscopic exam and Dilation and Curettage of my uterus which was bleeding post menopause. Through the IV they administered Propofol, I went out like a light switch, and had pleasant dreams! It's been now 22 hours from my procedure and I still feel calm, sleepy and relaxed. Great unexpected experience! WOW!"

Zsazsa VICTUS February 20, 2016

"I was given propofol 3 years ago when I had total joint replacement surgery, and it was a very positive experience. The onset of sedation was almost immediate. I remember talking to one of the nurses in the operating room, and the next thing I knew I was back in my hospital room feeling awake and as though nothing had happened. In fact, I kept asking the nurse if she was sure I had already had the surgery. Another very positive aspect of propofol over other anesthesia was that I didn't need a breathing tube, because I was breathing on my own during the operation. I plan to request propathol sedation in the future if I should need any other surgery,"

feekie#1 February 17, 2016

"Had Propofal for an 8 hour esophagectomy. Worked great I don't have any recollection of being put to sleep. I was talking to my surgeon and then I woke up in recovery surgery complete. No sickness at all and it was as if no time past no dreaming nothing at all. Took about an hour to fully wake up but then I was fine."

jetguy February 12, 2016