User Reviews for Propofol

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Learn more about Propofol.

Propofol Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 329 medications used in the treatment of Anesthesia.

Reviews for Propofol to treat Anesthesia

"My first time use of Propofol for my combination endoscopy and gastrostomy this mornnig. It was administered by an Anesthesia Nurse (not and Anesthesiologist, which was my first) in the surgery room with my Gastroenterologist present. They said they also will provide some lidocane??? to prevent side effects, which they did. She had explained that I would fall asleep within less than 10-15 seconds and would wake up not being groggy. And it was just like that. I did not even count to 10 (last thing I do remember) waking up ready to go home. Not like the old demoral or whatever they used to give you. I left less then 90 minutes after beginning the procedures So, yes, I gave it a 10."

brodg September 21, 2016

"I am a 47 yr old female. I had my third positive colonoscopy and endoscopy experience with Propofol yesterday. It is an amazing drug! I had no burning as it was administered and I slept through both procedures with no memory of pain or waking up. 20 min in recovery and I was able to go home with my driver. I was groggy at home and slept about 5 hours and then I woke up rested and feeling normal again."

Bonnie G September 9, 2016

"Worked great for me, fell right asleep, no memory of procedure, and woke right up with no groggy feeling at all."

First Time Scope September 7, 2016

"Excellent drug for me. It was used for my colonoscopy as an outpatient... asleep immediately, woke up quickly with absolutely no side effects, no drowsiness, no sleepyhead. Miracle drug as far as I'm concerned."

GACabingirl September 1, 2016

"Had colonoscopy with propofol. No issues woke up easily, slept well after I got home. Nurse told me they have been using this for awhile due to the quickness of waking up. Also was told this can be administered by nurse anesthetist instead of the physician. It frees him up to do the procedure while the nurse with an anesthesia license does the sedation."

Jetlpn August 27, 2016

"Will never allow this drug to be given to me again. woke up cateract surgery and just before surgery was completed Been three weeks Mental fog extreme fatigue memory issues , agitated, depressed and horrific headaches No want wants to hear it it a Surgeon just talked right over me when i tried to express concerns Im afraid im never going to get past all this Horrible horrible drug Never again"

connie19543311 (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

"Yesterday, second colonoscopy with propofol. First time, no problems whatsoever. This time is a different story. After waking, uncontrollable shivering and sneezing. I feel like I have flu. I could not sleep after getting home because of sneezing and constant nasal drip. Today, a little better, but throat is sore and the sneezing, drip continues. Eyes watering. Headache. Not sure if I want this medicine again."

quantum meriut August 14, 2016

"Had Colonoscopy yesterday with Propofol. Heard about Versed & asked about it. Surgery Ctr. said they had it, but Propofol was preferred because of the better recovery result. Went out like a light. Woke up in recovery bay & felt pretty good after a few minutes. Got home, started feeling dopey again, couldn't concentrate. No appetite. Forced myself to eat, but didn't help. After 2 hrs, laid down and was out for 5 hrs. Got up, had juice and jello. After 2 hrs. had to go back to bed. I'm better today, still a bit weak. My sister had same procedure recently. She was knocked out & came through fine. She may have had same drug with better results. I'm on Obamacare & that's more bad than good. Maybe Versed not allowed, who knows."

Ikabod August 13, 2016

"I'm a 33yo female with Crohn's disease. I had my 4th colonoscopy done today and they used propofol. The nurse informed me they started using it about a year ago and people just love it. I have only had the versed and I hated the groggy feeling as well as the memory loss and even sick to my stomach. When they took me back, the anesthesiologist talked to me for a few seconds and then slowly administered the propofol. As I was laying there my hand started to hurt really bad. I honestly thought the IV had came out! So I pulled my hand out from under the covers and said something about it and he quickly replied "oh yes, it kinda burns when it goes in." Next thing I know, I'm in recovery waking up happy AND I remember talking to the dr! Love it!!"

BigRed508 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

"I am a 29-year-old woman who received propofol for my first colonoscopy. I slept through the entire colonoscopy and was not drowsy afterward although when they administered the drug it felt like lava being pushed into my vein. That pain lasted just a few minutes."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

"He had his tonsils removed. Dr. did report that while in Surgery my son's body was jumping on the table. 7 days later he started bleeding from his throat was taken to the operating room for Surgery. Once again he was given Propofol, then had to have a trec and was on Propofol for 3 days while on a breathing machine. His father and I watch his body flopping like a fish out of water is the only way I can describe it. We have never seen anything like this before. They had to put padding all over his bed, it was that bad. He was moving so much he kept pulling out his IV'S. When they took him off of the Propofol 3 days later the jumping of his body didn't stop, he was in the Hospital over a month. He can't walk."

My 31 yr old son (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2016

"I had my first colon cancer screening and profonol was excellent. I was nervous, but in seconds, went to sleep and procedure was fast and recovery fast. Just a touch of a headache."

Brenda J. (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2016

"Wouldn't have a colonoscopy without it. Why would I want to be aware of the progress of a tube and a camera through my bowels? I go out, I wake up, I can eat again! Never had a side effect. No lingering drowsiness, nothing. If others want to enjoy the colonoscopy experience, fine. I'll stay with my Propofol."

peter1044 (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

"I had my first colonoscopy yesterday. I was given Propofol, now it true light out quickly. Here it is and I am trouble typing, I feel foggy, like I lost coordination, and trouble focusing. Hope this goes away soon."

Technec (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2016

"I was awake during entire procedure. .third time now and I'm scared to have another...I got so much of this medicine and i was talking and raising head the whole time while fighting the dr....I only weigh 118 this drug don't work for me worst experience of my life... :("

Drake's mommy (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2016

"I am a 56 year old male, with a first time Colon exam. 5 years ago, I was also a previous 7 day coma patient from Anaphylactic reaction. I was very nervous of being put under and not waking up. The nurses/attending doctor, and Anesthesiologist all were professional in helping me through. There was a slight burn in the hand it I noticed it travelling up the arm. Before it reached halfway I was out. Awoke in the recovery with a groggy feel from a deep sleep. I went into the room at 10:30, came back out at 10:15. I was up and walking at around 10:40. The overall experience was pleasant."

"Rags/Trigger" June 29, 2016

"71 year old female, 3rd colonoscopy. First 2 with versed, no side effects. This one, with propofol. Went out like a light, no problems, but after the procedure they had a hard time waking me up, and my head, upper body, right arm were shaking, convulsing. It seemed seizure-like, but nurses said it was not a seizure. This continued for almost 2 hours. They gave me versed to bring it under control. The shaking continued. Then they tried benadryl. Finally about an hour after the benadryl the severe shaking began to subside. So much for quick wake up and release. I was in recovery for over 3 hours. The doctor tried to tell me it must be pre-parkinsons symptoms. No way. Couldn't sleep last night, and feel wired and shaky today."

lmmh June 28, 2016

"I had an upper GI endoscopy a few days ago and was so nervous of being awake through the procedure. I guessed that Propofol would be used so I read these reviews and they made me less worried. I went in for my procedure and was so relieved that the Propofol worked so well that I laughed about how worried I was once I woke up in recovery. It was so nice that I could do it again tomorrow I said. They started putting it through the IV and told me I may feel a burn sensation. I barely felt anything but i had a weird smell type sensation. 10 seconds later I was out and waking up in recovery!! I was a tad loopy but within a few minutes I was normal. I took a nap when I got home then had more energy than I have had in days. I felt great!!"

Contacts123 (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2016

"Early 50's male, had my first colonoscopy last week. I had many concerns about being put to sleep for the procedure. No more worries for me next time! Propofol worked perfect for the procedure, full memory of everything but the actual colonoscopy. Nurse woke me up in the procedure room, took me to recovery and was discharged within 15 minutes. Zero side effects. Was instructed not to drive so I had my secretary pick me up at home and worked the rest of the day!"

GolferBoy (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2016

"Amazingly pleasant drug, incredibly enjoyable! I experienced absolutely no side effects at all, including no burning or stinging during injection at all. I was very very anxious prior to the procedure as I've never had anything like this before. I assumed I would still be somewhat awake, nervous, uncomfortable, and loopy during my endoscopy... boy was I wrong! Surprisingly enough, as soon as they just barely started a small amount into the IV, I instantly fell asleep. With this drug, you are still able to breath and all for yourself. It really is just like taking a wonderfully deep nap, and believe me, I was a skeptic! I was so worried about when I would "wake up". Truly to my surprise, I felt AMAZING and so REFRESHED!"

Marie. June 20, 2016

"I had my colonoscopy two days ago and the propofol was excellent at knocking me out and I was awakened by the nurse in my recovery cubicle. I felt pretty good as I woke up, mostly relieved it was over. My only issue with propofol is the extreme fatigue I'm still feeling. I have no energy and not too much of an appetite either. The drained feeling is quite similar to the lack of energy or enthusiasm one feels with depression. I was given propofol once before with another procedure and had the same reaction. I may be someone who doesn't process the drug out of my body quickly, but I have heard others say the same thing. I'm forcing myself to eat as I know the suprep I was given for prep for the colonoscopy drained me and that may a factor."

JenPS June 16, 2016

"I had colonoscopy done with propofol.I am a physician who previously had a colonoscopy with Versed and did great. I asked not to use propofol,but got persuaded into going along with it.It was a nightmare as I awoke with projectile vomiting,severe abdominal pain and distention even though my colonoscopy was totally normal.I have been sick for days.I recently read an article in consumer reports about propofol being used excessively and unnecessarily in colonoscopies and they are correct.There are major risks with this drug even after the fact.These are unnecessary risks when one can use conscious sedation with Versed and not have these side effects or risks.Propofol is being used to speed the turnover in the recovery room....not for safety."

Algut (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

Takeitfromme June 16, 2016

"Out like a light in seconds...Woke up refreshed with no side effects."

Eman1965 June 7, 2016

"Had my second colonoscopy yesterday....am age 71. Propofol worked great falling asleep after a few moments....don't remember anything and woke up okay. Went home and took a long nap and today feel very good...almost joyful that it's over!!"

Eileen B. June 7, 2016