User Reviews for Propofol to treat Anesthesia

Also known as: Diprivan, Propoven

Propofol has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 355 ratings for the treatment of Anesthesia. 72% of those users who reviewed Propofol reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Propofol Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 282 medications used in the treatment of Anesthesia.

Reviews for Propofol

peachy_keen · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2021

“I'm a 33-year old woman and had to do an endoscopy and colonoscopy to diagnose Crohn's disease. This was my first time having the procedures done and I was very nervous, mostly about the meds that would be used to knock me out. I've been under anesthesia before but never under propofol until now. I had a great experience with it and would highly recommend it to anyone who is anxious about meds and anesthesia. It knocked me out within seconds and next thing I know I'm in the recovery room talking to the nurse. Apparently the doctor spoke with me right after the procedure, but I don't remember that. I wasn't fully awake until the nurse came in and then I was a bit groggy for maybe a half hour and then totally back to normal. I went to the grocery store on the way home! Overall, for me, it was the best experience I could have hoped for and I wanted to share for anyone else who may also be anxious, about the drug or procedure. I'm no longer afraid of either!”

kate · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2021

“I'm extremely afraid of sedation/anesthesia, and I have horrible health anxiety. I was so afraid of being put on propofol for my colonoscopy, but it honestly was amazing. I don't even remember falling asleep, I was just suddenly out and waking up in what felt like a minute later. I woke up feeling tired - not loopy or high. If you're afraid of sedation/anesthesia like me, don't be! I was so afraid and I couldn't believe how well it went!!! I highly recommend propofol for colonoscopies. I'm only 23, if I can do it, you can, too!”

Chalkhill blue · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2021

“I had a short GYN procedure this morning which required propofol/midazolam sedation. I have had a runny nose since then (15 hours ago) with sneezing and occasional coughing. I had midazolam in the past on multiple occasions and I never had these symptoms, so it is unlikely to be the cause. Also, I am very fit, I am not on any meds, so I suspect that propofol is the likely culprit. Although it is a great drug from procedural standpoint, one should research all potential side effects thoroughly before getting it.”

Frenchie · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2021

“I had a colonoscopy and while in recovery my left eye and nostril began watering and very irritated. By the time I left recovery my eye was swollen and almost constantly had to be dabbed with a tissue. I also had bought a of sneezing. It’s been over 24 hrs since the procedure and it hasn’t let up yet. Claritin has not helped. It’s completely miserable.”

Terrib24 · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2014

“I went in for a colonoscopy today and was put under with propofol. It took affect right away ...after maybe four deep breaths. I was groggy for Maybe 15 minutes after waking up in recovery. However, I have been suffering from major allergy like symptoms all afternoon and evening...sneezing, watery eyes, congestion, then nose running. Feel fairly miserable...not from procedure but from sneezing.”

cars67 October 18, 2014

“I had a colonoscopy, this was the second time. Both times Propofol worked well, I was out during the whole time, so felt no pain. One difference was this second time when I woke up, I started sneezing and my nose was running. After that my eyes started watering, and I have been having problems for days after with that with my nose running and eyes stinging. Allergy medicines have had no effect, the only thing that has helped somewhat is Nasacort. Prior to the procedure I was not having problems with allergies. I have found other anecdotal evidence on the internet of other people having these issues, it seems as if this is an unadvertised side effect.”

DC2 · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2014

“While propofol is great for knociking you out of uncomfortable procedures, I've used it twice and both times have had a runny nose (i.e., constant dripping) for a couple of days following its use. This last time when I told the anestesiologist he said that wasn't related. But I have the exact same problem as last time.”

Scarlettoh September 2, 2019

“PATIENT ALERT!!! YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE GENERAL ANESTHESIA/PROPOFOL with a colonoscopy even if the doctor/nurse tries to bully you into consenting. I went in for my colonoscopy. A nurse anesthetist came in and told me I was getting General Anesthesia. I objected and told her I did not want GA I wanted twilight sleep/conscious sedation. She laughed at me and made snide comments about information on the internet and told me my fears and objections were immaterial. I was all alone, after being up all night with the prep, and exhausted so I was not able to handle this as well as if I had been alert, well rested, and awake. I had the colonoscopy with GA. Instead of being up and alert for the rest of the day as with twilight sleep/conscious sedation, I was totally groggy and sleepy for TWO DAYS. I had to take another day off of work.”

badakbuddy September 17, 2014

“I'm 66 and had my first colonoscopy yesterday. I'd never had a general anesthetic before, and didn't know what to expect. On the operating table when he said he was beginning to administer the medicine I thought I should start feeling sleepy within a few seconds. Then the nurse said the procedure is over and asked how I felt. It was just that fast. No feeling of losing or regaining consciousness. Afterward I was completely clear-headed and in good spirits. I couldn't ask for any better experience for general anesthesia.”

bj · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2019

“Had a colonoscopy 2 days ago. I felt great before the procedure, when I woke up from the procedure I had a constant runny nose. Throughout the day, I started coughing, my nose wouldn't quit running and my eyes were burning like I had a cold. Today is worse, my head and neck ache, runny nose, mild cough, ears are plugged and I have a sore throat. No question that this was caused from the propofol, the symptoms were immediate after waking up. Would not recommend this anesthesia.”

Grammie · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2018

“I'm 57 years old and had my first colonoscopy today; Propofol was used for the sedation - I didn't have any issues at all with the scope, however, when I was in the recovery chair my throat started to hurt so bad, my glands in my neck and I began to loose my voice. My throat hurt so bad it felt like strep throat. I believe that is an allergic reaction to it, my lips swelled a little bit too. 15 hours later and I still have a sore throat and raspy voice. I wanted to share my experience as I don't know if this is common or rare side effect.”

SRosie · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2019

“I am 39 and had my first colonoscopy with Propofol this morning. I did not dread the procedure or even the 24 hour prep...but was terrified of being sedated, as I’ve never had anesthesia. I was shaking and lightly crying by the time they administered the meds due to fear of being “put to sleep”. The nurse and anesthesiologist NP were reassuring me all would be fine and then...I was awake in recovery. What? Wow. I know everyone is different but in my case, I can honestly say this was, by far, the easiest medical procedure I’ve ever had. I feel a little tired today (prob more due to loss sleep from worrying about the procedure and dehydration from the prep) but I woke up fine without complications... no feeling dizzy or nauseous.”

Pancake78 June 28, 2014

Diprivan (propofol): “I had foot surgery in 09' . This was my very first surgery ever. I had never been put to sleep my entire life. I was given Diprivan (propofol) as the anesthetic. I would have to say that if I ever needed another surgery, I would request this anesthesia. It was wonderful. I remember absolutely nothing about the surgery at all and it felt like it took like 2 minutes. However, I remember the anesthetist saying one of the side effects was I was going to feel rushed or in a hurry when I woke up. I had the complete opposite effect. I was nice and comfy in my wheelchair, and wasn't planning on leaving any time soon apparently. I was in a very happy place. I would recommend this to anyone very apprehensive or nervous about any kind of surgery.”

Anonymous October 11, 2013

“Just had propofol today for colonoscopy. Everything went great with the sedation, but now 10 hours later, my nose is running continuously and my right eye is tearing. I tried Benadryl but that did not help..surprised to see how many people are having the same reaction.”

Vinegargal August 20, 2020

“2010 had a colonoscopy. Not sure what anesthesia was used, but I had no issues other than sleepy afterwards. 2018 had outpatient surgery for a torn meniscus. First experience with propofol and it was excellent. No side affects, up and around that afternoon, eating normally. August 2020, had another colonoscopy with propfol as the anesthesia. Woke up in recovery cold and shivering. Once I got home, awful headache, sore mouth, blister on the tip of my tongue, sore throat, runny nose, cough and pain in my jaws, slight swelling and tenderness in the glands. Presuming the cold symptoms are from the oxygen cannula from what I have read here. The headache likely from dehydration. But the jaw issues and the to huge blister make no sense. I’m 66 and have had lots of surgeries and procedures, including dental and I have never had any problem with jaw clenching. Something doesn’t seem quite right. Not sure I want this again.”

Fght4yrmnd · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

“Had first colonoscopy yesterday. Was perfectly fine before procedure. Woke up with worst sore throat of my life. Severe congestion, headache, hoarseness, low grade fever and body aches. Came home went straight to bed and slept until the next morning. 18 hours!! Feel a little better this morning but still have hoarseness and am coughing and just feel a little off. Body hurts but that could just be laying down all day. Will never use this medication again.”

lin · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2020

“Always works likes a charm. I wake up a little groggy but on my feet within 15 minutes. Anesthetist calls it milk of amnesia :-) I had colonoscopy today and have severe rhinitis and sneezing all through the night, which I have never had with propofol before (3 coloscopies, 2 hand surgeries). A little research online indicates it's due to the oxygen they gave me via nasal cannula, which I was never given before. It is not caused by propofol...take a look yourself...studies by NIH and others show it's somewhat common from oxygen via nasal cannula and will pass.”

lanew June 21, 2013

“I had propofol during a routine colonoscopy today. This was amazing. I was out in a flash and woke up feeling great. Then before I even got out of the operating room I started sneezing uncontrollably. I could barely stop sneezing to ask if it was related. I've had IV sedation plenty of times, but this was the first propofol experience. The nurse said she'd heard of reactions like this, but was not concerned. Its been 12 hours now. I am still sneezing. Its like a nerve at the top right side of my nose, just under my eye is irritated and won't calm down. So I will continue to sneeze until it stops. I did sleep a couple of hours with no irritation at all, but while awake the annoying feeling continues.”

STLKB September 10, 2019

“5th colonoscopy yesterday. First time I've had these adverse reactions. Propofol IV given...maybe too rapidly? O2 per nasal cannula. Burning when injected, no big deal. Apparently, I coughed throughout the procedure & had to be suctioned. Awoke quickly, with major headache, continual coughing, sore throat and hoarseness. Head congestion as if I had sinus infection. Right side of my nose was running, uncontrolled, like a hose. Gross. Excessive salivation during procedure - pillow and hair soaking wet. Also new & gross ;-) Day 2, throat is less sore but headache and congestion remain. I've had IV sedation/general anesthesia many times but this is first time for headache, congestion & runny nose. When I called back to the Outpatient centre, they told me to follow up with primary care - they felt it was unrelated! Those symptoms are included in the official Propofol Product Insert (from drug mfg). Wish I had read that prior to my 'scope.”

Diane · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2018

“RN Anesthesiologist from nationally known anesthesiology consultants and well known Gastroenterologist could not begin esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) on me. Apparently, I became combative (no memory of this) after given propofol. I was told by the physician, anesthesiologist, two RN's and two other medical personnel in the recovery room that they have never seen this happen before. I will continue researching why I had an adverse reaction to the drug and will reach out to the anesthesiologist group for the truth. Hope this helps others.”

Melsongs June 5, 2014

Diprivan (propofol): “I had my first screening colonoscopy with propofol. I was out within a few seconds of administration of it. I woke up after 30 minutes with no side effects. I was up and around within an hour and I had normal meal after. I did feel usually "high" or happy afterward, I don't know if it was the propofol or the good results of the colonoscopy.”

hbmom12 · Taken for less than 1 month September 22, 2020

“I recently had propofol for a colonoscopy. I was super nervous going in because I haven't had the drug or procedure done before. The anesthesiologist gave me a heads up that she was administering it into my IV, I waited about 10 seconds and asked if it was normal that I was still awake and she said that it takes a little bit to "kick in". I remember then trying to determine if I felt like it was working yet and then boom, awake in recovery. I don't remember even feeling drowsy or light headed before I was out. I woke up and literally felt 90% completely back to normal within 15 minutes. I came home and took a nap but honestly could have done without it. It was a breeze and I will no longer fear colonoscopies.”

Anonymous December 11, 2013

“Had a colonoscopy yesterday...went in feeling perfectly fine, woke up after procedure very congested and sneezing, with runny nose and watery eyes. Sneezing continued all day, went through an entire box of tissues. Took a dose of Benadryl before bed and woke up today perfectly fine. After reading others' similar experiences, I'm sure this must have been a side effect of the propofol.”

Eliz propofol November 6, 2013

“I had a colonoscopy today and was feeling fine before and on drive home - my nose started running and I was sneezing. I was given propofol. I was a little groggy right after waking up, but felt fine by the time I got home. It has been about 6 hrs and I am still experiencing flu like symptoms - runny nose & sneezing - mostly on one side. 5 yrs ago I had a colonoscopy and did not experience any of these symptoms. I am glad to see others have experienced the same symptoms ...”

sunshineblossoms May 21, 2014

“Just received a D&C today and had to be put to sleep with propofol and I must tell you it is amazing. I was so scared to be put under because this was my first surgery. I'm 21. The anesthesiologist talked to me the whole time. When the medication was injected into my IV it wasn't painful but it did go up my shoulder and I could actually taste it but after that all I remember was looking at the clock and them strapping me down on the surgery table and then I was in recovery. It's that simple. It's just like a regular nap. I woke up tired but no nausea, I wasn't groggy, no headache. I felt great. Would definitely do this medicine again. Hope this helps for those who are afraid like I was. Don't be. It's as easy as 123.”

Bean · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2019

“Due to a severely painful tortuous colon, my colonoscopies all require general anaesthesia, propofol being the drug used in this case. I never feel any discomfort during injection, and it knocks me out cold within seconds. This most recent occurrence of being administered propofol for colonoscopy has left me with a pain in my throat on one side, a bit like the pain associated with tonsillitis. I also have that weird smell/taste at the back of my throat and sinuses which I usually experience right before I experience the symptoms of a common cold . It may just be coincidence - perhaps I do have a cold, time still tell, but I felt I ought to highlight this in case it is a side effect of propofol.”

Slick December 11, 2019

“Had colonoscopy yesterday, and have had at least 6 surgeries and procedures in the last few years with me specifically mentioning my desire for propofol. Had no symptoms of a cold beforehand. Woke up with nose running, severe sore throat, headache and cough, chills, and the absolute feeling of having a cold. Lasted for the rest of the night, feeling better this morning, but still with sore throat and headache. So confused about this till start reading this thread. Why this happened on this procedure and not the others is a mystery, and concerning.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2015

“I was given propofol yesterday for upper endoscopy. I am a extremely anxious person and am terrified of medical procedures. This drug was amazing and I had no issues had a great experience. This drug wore off extremely quickly. No side effects. Don't let your anxiety get in the way of your life! It will wreck you!”