User Reviews for Succinylcholine

Also known as: Anectine, Quelicin, Anectine Flo-Pack

Anesthesia
2.1

Reviews may be moderated to correct grammar/spelling or remove inappropriate language. Reviews that appear to be created by parties with a vested interest in the medication will not be published.

Reviews for Succinylcholine

This Sux April 5, 2021

For Anesthesia: “Soooo I had an emergency laparoscopic appendectomy due to acute appendicitis. I am about 36 hours postop recovering at home with no complications except for the unexpected EXCRUCIATING MUSCLE SORENESS in my neck, chest, shoulders, back, and abs. As others on here have described, before I verified that I, too, had been given Succinylcholine, I had begun to suspect I must’ve had some macabre group of sadistic doctors and nurses who abused my paralyzed body while I was under. Like they had somehow forced me to go through military boot camp or just took turns shaking me around like a rag doll on the operating table. If I hadn’t researched this drug and it’s horrendous effects, I swear I was this close to hiring a lawyer so I could sue the doctors for maltreatment or something! Without question, I will NEVER consent to this awful drug again. It will be on my list of drug “allergies” from now on. No wonder they call is SUX.”

Kris · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2021

For Anesthesia: “I had liposuction around my mid section on Friday and felt well until the following afternoon. As the afternoon progressed, my thighs and calves started to tighten and by the evening, I could no longer lift my legs to take a step or even get into bed on my own. The pain was substantial when walking or using my legs and it was like I was virtually paralyzed below the waist. My doctor prescribed a muscle relaxant and after 24 hours, I'm functional again. I confirmed that sux was used. Never again, I've had a lot of sports surgeries and have a high pain tolerance but 24-30 hours of the weekend were about the worst in my entire life. Just know that a doctor can prescribe a muscle relaxant to help if you encounter this reaction to sux.”

Me September 24, 2020

For Anesthesia: “I was given this succinylcholine during sinus surgery, and given no warning of the common side effects. It leaves your muscles so sore that you literally can't move. I was told to sleep propped, to help reduce the swelling and make it easier for my surgery battered sinuses to drain. Definite problems created by the fact that I couldn't even lift my head, much less sit up. This lasted for a good four days. I will NEVER allow this succinylcholine, to be used on me again, and will insist that any anesthesiologist sign a legal document stating that s/he fully understands that Succinylcholine will NOT be used on me EVER again. Had my house caught fire, I would have died, because I would not have been able to get myself out.”

bwilson · Taken for less than 1 month August 14, 2020

For Anesthesia: “I've had several surgeries in the past, so I'm sure this isn't my first experience with Succinylcholine, but this time around it was miserable. I went in for a CKC so expected some minor discomfort from that. I took a nap when I got home from the procedure and upon waking I was in immense pain. My entire upper body and thighs felt as if I had worked out hard OR been hit by a truck. It was difficult to get in and out of bed, shower, or make almost any movement. It was confirmed with the surgery center that Succinylcholine was used, so unfortunately I was told I would just have to ride it out. Pain lasted for approximately 4 days, but when it finally went away it went away quickly. Woke up one morning and knew instantly that I had gotten the effects out of my system.”

Betsy February 7, 2020

For Anesthesia: “It's poison! Tell your anesthesiologist that you're allergic! Trust me!! Last time I had outpatient surgery, they had to quickly switch me from MAC sedation to intubation so they shot me up with this drug, which is also known as Scoline and the med folks call it "sux", which it TOTALLY does! Because just like everyone else who has posted here, I woke up in severe pain all over my body which lasted 5 days. I could barely move and needed a cane once I managed to get to a standing position. Never again! They are not allowed to shoot me up with this POISON again!”

Steph · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2020

For Anesthesia: “please save yourself some of the worse muscle pain you will ever experience from a common drug used by anesthesiologists, called Succinylcholine. I woke up the morning after surgery in such severe muscle pain I cold not turn over in bed. For about three days the pain did not subside. It was in my arms back and & hips. So weak and painful I could not lift my arms or legs. I also had extreme shakiness so typing emails was impossible. Be certain to ask your anesthesiologist not to use this drug!”

SC August 5, 2020

For Anesthesia: “I will never allow anyone to give me this succinylcholine again, I had arthroscopic knee surgery that lasted 1hr, the next day the pain all over my body knocked the wind out of me just to move. I’m in day 2 of recovery and am very concerned, this is the most pain I have ever been in after any procedure.”

Leigh · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2021

For Anesthesia: “I have the same symptoms as TommyJames mentioned. I had a hemorrhoid removed. The problems with breathing and muscle pain is indescribable. I know that propofol was used. I am not sure what else was used with it for sedation. I just want the pain to go away. This is day 2.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2020

For Anesthesia: “This stupid drug is more painful than the kidney stones that I had tried to pass and got stuck in my ureter. I’d rather pass a kidney stone than feel like how this drug makes me feel. My back is so painful , my neck is so painful, and my legs are so painful. I scream every time I try to move. This is absolutely ridiculous and I wouldn’t wish this drug on my worst enemy.”

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2020

For Anesthesia: “As with the other comments, I too had severe muscle pain all over. I was for outpatient lithotripsy. I had this before and the day after I remarked to a friend that I didn't remember being in this much pain last time. I finally called the doctor and he said it was probably a reaction to the anesthesia and I should drink a lot of water, which I did. The pain lasted 2-1/2 days but was very severe. Getting up and down and rolling over in bed was almost impossible. I plan on never having this anesthesia again.”

Osbreeze · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2020

For Anesthesia: “I had a chemo port inserted yesterday. The anesthesiologist told me ahead of time that he couldn’t use his normal medication, propofol, because of it being saved for use with COVID-19 patients. I seriously feel like I have been hit by a truck. I am in severe pain from my neck to my calves. I can barely lift my arms. I can barely walk because of my hips and legs being so sore. Actually, I can barely move at all. I hurt worse now than I did after a double mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction 3 weeks ago. At least then I could walk! Now I can’t even do the arm exercises they had me doing the day after the mastectomy because I can’t bear to move my arms. I barely took any of my pain meds after my big surgery, but am using them now. This is crazy. Never again. This stuff should not be used.”

DC · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2020

For Anesthesia: “I had a endoscopy ultrasound and while out I stopped breathing so they had to put a breathing tube in. The paralytic they used was Succinylcholine. When I awoke I told them I felt horrible. Later that day and night every muscle from my neck to my ankles was in extreme pain. I couldn’t even get out of a chair, toilet or bed without help and it was painful even then. I couldn’t cough much because of the pain in my chest and back. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. Today is day 3 and I’m about 75% back to normal, I figure one more day and I’ll be back...I hope.”

Scot65 · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2019

For Anesthesia: “After my succinylcholine anesthetic I woke up with severe muscle cramp pain so bad that I could barely walk or get in and out of bed for 3-4 days. I actually went to the ER for a morphine shot because of the pain. (The shot did nothing.) This was given to me for intubation prior to shoulder arthroscopy. NEVER again will I allow succinylcholine to be used on me.”

Sarah · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2020

For Anesthesia: “I had this medication yesterday morning at night I haven't been able to sleep until now from cramps in legs specially calf and arms . Muscles cramps with hot sensation i can't even stand or walk without feeling horrible. Please if anyone took a certain drug that made him feel better please advise and tell me how long will it take to pass . I am a single mother alone with my kids in quarantine so I need to take care of them.”

Tommyjames · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2021

For Anesthesia: “After an outpatient one-hour groin-located surgery Thursday, by late afternoon Friday, from my neck to my knees, all muscles are extremely painful, like after overworked by extreme exercise, but so much more so that I cannot sit up, roll over, even or simply move my feet without assistance. Even breathing hurts. Wondered what in the world they did while I was under like made me do the splits and shook me all around like a rag doll? It’s Saturday, so hope this gets better soon. Don’t know yet if succinylcholine was used, but it sure fits with others’ descriptions and with it’s sux nickname.”

CG · Taken for less than 1 month October 26, 2020

For Anesthesia: “I had ACDF surgery (disks in neck) I prepared for major pain! However, my procedure was on Thursday. By Saturday, I off all pain meds. The first 2 days being home, I had terrible pain all over my body. I could hardly walk and getting up was excruciating! It was NOT my neck that was painful. It was the succinylcholine! I, like others will NEVER have that drug again!”

ANurseWhoDidntKnow · Taken for less than 1 month September 25, 2020

For Anesthesia: “I had no idea of the after effects from succinylcholine until after having my appendix removed. Post-surgical myalgia is real and so very painful! I thought the operating room team must’ve used me as a life-sized marionette or possibly signed me up for an operating room Jazzercise/Boot Camp workout without my permission. My jaw, neck, arms, shoulders, upper back, ribs and upper legs feel like I’ve put in some serious gym time. The pain and weakness are almost debilitating. Lifting them without assistance is next to impossible. I am 48 hours post surgery and the discomfort has yet to wane. Of note...my incision sites are nearly pain free. I will absolutely put this on a do not use list in my medical records. Just wow!”

Vern · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2018

For Anesthesia: “I had a bladder surgery, as a outpatient, when I got home , I started hurting in my shoulders, then my calves, then the front of my legs, then my back, side, neck, I was hurting all over! Every muscle I have was hurting so bad, I felt like they had taken me and slammed me to the floor in the operating room AND jumped up and down on me! I have never been in so much pain in my life this is the 2nd day for me. I hope this pain ends soon. They should have to give each one of us that has been through this horrible pain 50,000 each for all our suffering!! They know this medicine can cause this kind of pain , and still they use it!!They need to STOP!!IT.”

JRP · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2019

For Anesthesia: “My son was given this drug succinylcholine for 5 days while he was intubated After they took out the intubation he could not raise his arms. He was paralyzed from his shoulders down to his elbows on both arms. It has been three months now and a muscle biopsy showed that he has permanent nerve damage with succinylcholine in his muscles. Don't ever let them give you this medication.”

L.Page June 23, 2016

For Anesthesia: “Had this before surgery. True it knocked me out and I wasn't aware of proceedure. However the after effects have made me feel totally helpless, in so much pain. This will be added to my list of never use this drug on me again! This feels like I have been body slammed over and over. Every part of my body hurts.”

Jen November 22, 2020

For Anesthesia: “I felt ok after surgery, but woke up in excruciating pain, wondering if I should call 911 because all of my muscles were spasming, I couldn’t get out of bed, I was alone, and I have epilepsy. I can still hardly walk or even breathe deeply due to pain. I will threaten all future anesthesiologists. Why is this drug even used at all when there are options?! I have a hip surgery coming up in three weeks and now I am terrified.”

Troy M. Arizona · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2018

For Anesthesia: “I had some what I thought was relatively minor surgery yesterday that required general anesthesia. Sadly it's the third time in 2 weeks and I've probably got 2 more to go... Started roughly 12 hours after surgery INTENSE muscle pain and stiffness. This feels like overuse pain in my upper arms, thighs, legs, muscles in my rib area like I've done crunches all night. My jaw and back are the worst.. I had to sneeze earlier and thought I was gonna pass out. The area where the surgery was done -- not a twinge, well that I can feel in comparison.. I'm so stiff and sore I can barely move. I swear the O/R threw me on the floor and took turns beating the crap out of me? Why would areas of my body that had nothing to do during surgery feel like they've been through a freaking marathon race followed up with being hit by a truck? If I can handle bilateral kidney stones pushing three 7MM stones with stents in, anesthesia should be easy. I wouldn't give this to my worst enemy!!”

lulu1122 October 25, 2015

For Anesthesia: “Succinylcholine was used as a pre-tubation muscle relaxer on my D & C outpatient surgery. Approximately 12 hours after surgery I began to have severe muscle aches and stiffness. I could barely move. All my muscles were affected. I couldn't cough as my abdominal muscles were very sore. Standing, sitting, walking was met with intense pain. Sleep was painful as I couldn't adjust myself. I was given pain meds that only helped slightly. Pain lasted 4 days.”

Pmarie57 · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2018

Anectine (succinylcholine) for Anesthesia: “I died on the operating table at the age of 19, and my heart was restarted. Anectine had paralyzed my heart along with the rest of me. I later found out I have cholinesterase deficiency. That's why my heart stopped.”

BB · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2020

For Anesthesia: “Breast Augmentation 1 day surgery. After surgery they anesthesiologist has to keep putting me under general anesthesia as the succinylcholine caused me to have full body muscular paralysis. I wasn't aware until this experience of the condition of pseudo cholinesterase deficiency. This is how I found out! Scary scary experience. The Doctors thought I was dead at one point. My husband was extremely scared. My "wake up" time from post surgery should have been 2 hours max. It took me 8+hours.”