User Reviews for Succinylcholine to treat Anesthesia

Also known as: Anectine, Quelicin, Anectine Flo-Pack

Succinylcholine has an average rating of 2.2 out of 10 from a total of 32 ratings for the treatment of Anesthesia. 3% of those users who reviewed Succinylcholine reported a positive effect, while 78% reported a negative effect.

Succinylcholine Rating Summary

2.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of Anesthesia.

Reviews for Succinylcholine

Jen November 22, 2020

“I felt ok after surgery, but woke up in excruciating pain, wondering if I should call 911 because all of my muscles were spasming, I couldn’t get out of bed, I was alone, and I have epilepsy. I can still hardly walk or even breathe deeply due to pain. I will threaten all future anesthesiologists. Why is this drug even used at all when there are options?! I have a hip surgery coming up in three weeks and now I am terrified.”

Feelslikeagranny · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2020

“As with many others here I had a similar experience. This was part of my anaesthesia for a septoplasty that I ended up not getting. My jaw was clenched so they couldn’t intubate me. I know this is a muscle ‘relaxant’ but it did the opposite for me. I almost suspect that the med may have contributed to my jaw doing that, that’s just my suspicion though because the second I was awoken I had bilateral wicked charley horse type cramping in both my calves. I could barely walk out of the hospital and the next two days were a living nightmare. I could barely move on my own or even sleep. Sneezing, don’t even ask. Literally felt like my abs were ripping open. I’m on day 4 now and my muscles are still very sore. This cramping pain literally moved up my body through the muscle groups. Awful, awful stuff!”

CG · Taken for less than 1 month October 26, 2020

“I had ACDF surgery (disks in neck) I prepared for major pain! However, my procedure was on Thursday. By Saturday, I off all pain meds. The first 2 days being home, I had terrible pain all over my body. I could hardly walk and getting up was excruciating! It was NOT my neck that was painful. It was the succinylcholine! I, like others will NEVER have that drug again!”

ANurseWhoDidntKnow · Taken for less than 1 month September 25, 2020

“I had no idea of the after effects from succinylcholine until after having my appendix removed. Post-surgical myalgia is real and so very painful! I thought the operating room team must’ve used me as a life-sized marionette or possibly signed me up for an operating room Jazzercise/Boot Camp workout without my permission. My jaw, neck, arms, shoulders, upper back, ribs and upper legs feel like I’ve put in some serious gym time. The pain and weakness are almost debilitating. Lifting them without assistance is next to impossible. I am 48 hours post surgery and the discomfort has yet to wane. Of note...my incision sites are nearly pain free. I will absolutely put this on a do not use list in my medical records. Just wow!”

Me September 24, 2020

“I was given this succinylcholine during sinus surgery, and given no warning of the common side effects. It leaves your muscles so sore that you literally can't move. I was told to sleep propped, to help reduce the swelling and make it easier for my surgery battered sinuses to drain. Definite problems created by the fact that I couldn't even lift my head, much less sit up. This lasted for a good four days. I will NEVER allow this succinylcholine, to be used on me again, and will insist that any anesthesiologist sign a legal document stating that s/he fully understands that Succinylcholine will NOT be used on me EVER again. Had my house caught fire, I would have died, because I would not have been able to get myself out.”

bwilson · Taken for less than 1 month August 14, 2020

“I've had several surgeries in the past, so I'm sure this isn't my first experience with Succinylcholine, but this time around it was miserable. I went in for a CKC so expected some minor discomfort from that. I took a nap when I got home from the procedure and upon waking I was in immense pain. My entire upper body and thighs felt as if I had worked out hard OR been hit by a truck. It was difficult to get in and out of bed, shower, or make almost any movement. It was confirmed with the surgery center that Succinylcholine was used, so unfortunately I was told I would just have to ride it out. Pain lasted for approximately 4 days, but when it finally went away it went away quickly. Woke up one morning and knew instantly that I had gotten the effects out of my system.”

SC August 5, 2020

“I will never allow anyone to give me this succinylcholine again, I had arthroscopic knee surgery that lasted 1hr, the next day the pain all over my body knocked the wind out of me just to move. I’m in day 2 of recovery and am very concerned, this is the most pain I have ever been in after any procedure.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2020

“This stupid drug is more painful than the kidney stones that I had tried to pass and got stuck in my ureter. I’d rather pass a kidney stone than feel like how this drug makes me feel. My back is so painful , my neck is so painful, and my legs are so painful. I scream every time I try to move. This is absolutely ridiculous and I wouldn’t wish this drug on my worst enemy.”

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2020

“As with the other comments, I too had severe muscle pain all over. I was for outpatient lithotripsy. I had this before and the day after I remarked to a friend that I didn't remember being in this much pain last time. I finally called the doctor and he said it was probably a reaction to the anesthesia and I should drink a lot of water, which I did. The pain lasted 2-1/2 days but was very severe. Getting up and down and rolling over in bed was almost impossible. I plan on never having this anesthesia again.”

Green eyed Lady June 16, 2020

“This succinylcholine anesthesia maybe great for some people, but not for all. My Dr. says I am what is considered to be in the 1-3% of people who will be seriously effected by medications, she’s not joking, I truly am. In 2003 I was given succinylcholine for gallbladder removal surgery and a liver biopsy. I did not regain consciousness for over 12 hours after surgery, worried everyone. Apparently I only have a partial enzyme of pseudocholinesterase, which is what breaks down the succinylcholine, and allows you to regain consciousness. As for muscle pains, I ended up bleeding out internally for over a week and a half from the liver biopsy, which was extremely painful in itself, so not sure if muscle pain accompanied the succinylcholine. And the crappy part of all of this, NO ONE, not even ME, knew that I had this enzyme deficiency.”

Steph · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2020

“please save yourself some of the worse muscle pain you will ever experience from a common drug used by anesthesiologists, called Succinylcholine. I woke up the morning after surgery in such severe muscle pain I cold not turn over in bed. For about three days the pain did not subside. It was in my arms back and & hips. So weak and painful I could not lift my arms or legs. I also had extreme shakiness so typing emails was impossible. Be certain to ask your anesthesiologist not to use this drug!”

Sarah · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2020

“I had this medication yesterday morning at night I haven't been able to sleep until now from cramps in legs specially calf and arms . Muscles cramps with hot sensation i can't even stand or walk without feeling horrible. Please if anyone took a certain drug that made him feel better please advise and tell me how long will it take to pass . I am a single mother alone with my kids in quarantine so I need to take care of them.”

Osbreeze · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2020

“I had a chemo port inserted yesterday. The anesthesiologist told me ahead of time that he couldn’t use his normal medication, propofol, because of it being saved for use with COVID-19 patients. I seriously feel like I have been hit by a truck. I am in severe pain from my neck to my calves. I can barely lift my arms. I can barely walk because of my hips and legs being so sore. Actually, I can barely move at all. I hurt worse now than I did after a double mastectomy and DIEP reconstruction 3 weeks ago. At least then I could walk! Now I can’t even do the arm exercises they had me doing the day after the mastectomy because I can’t bear to move my arms. I barely took any of my pain meds after my big surgery, but am using them now. This is crazy. Never again. This stuff should not be used.”

Betsy February 7, 2020

“It's poison! Tell your anesthesiologist that you're allergic! Trust me!! Last time I had outpatient surgery, they had to quickly switch me from MAC sedation to intubation so they shot me up with this drug, which is also known as Scoline and the med folks call it "sux", which it TOTALLY does! Because just like everyone else who has posted here, I woke up in severe pain all over my body which lasted 5 days. I could barely move and needed a cane once I managed to get to a standing position. Never again! They are not allowed to shoot me up with this POISON again!”

DC · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2020

“I had a endoscopy ultrasound and while out I stopped breathing so they had to put a breathing tube in. The paralytic they used was Succinylcholine. When I awoke I told them I felt horrible. Later that day and night every muscle from my neck to my ankles was in extreme pain. I couldn’t even get out of a chair, toilet or bed without help and it was painful even then. I couldn’t cough much because of the pain in my chest and back. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE. Today is day 3 and I’m about 75% back to normal, I figure one more day and I’ll be back...I hope.”

BB · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2020

“Breast Augmentation 1 day surgery. After surgery they anesthesiologist has to keep putting me under general anesthesia as the succinylcholine caused me to have full body muscular paralysis. I wasn't aware until this experience of the condition of pseudo cholinesterase deficiency. This is how I found out! Scary scary experience. The Doctors thought I was dead at one point. My husband was extremely scared. My "wake up" time from post surgery should have been 2 hours max. It took me 8+hours.”

Cloneslass December 29, 2019

“I had hernia surgery and the following day my legs felt like I had run a marathon. My hubby had to help me in and out of bed and up and down from chairs and toilets. It continued into the next day and I called my PCP who gave me a shot of toradol and a muscle relaxant and a few hours later I was about 50% better and the following day I was fine. I don’t know if I was given this med, bit I plan to check it out.”

Scot65 · Taken for less than 1 month September 11, 2019

“After my succinylcholine anesthetic I woke up with severe muscle cramp pain so bad that I could barely walk or get in and out of bed for 3-4 days. I actually went to the ER for a morphine shot because of the pain. (The shot did nothing.) This was given to me for intubation prior to shoulder arthroscopy. NEVER again will I allow succinylcholine to be used on me.”

JRP · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 15, 2019

“My son was given this drug succinylcholine for 5 days while he was intubated After they took out the intubation he could not raise his arms. He was paralyzed from his shoulders down to his elbows on both arms. It has been three months now and a muscle biopsy showed that he has permanent nerve damage with succinylcholine in his muscles. Don't ever let them give you this medication.”

Pmarie57 · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2018

Anectine (succinylcholine): “I died on the operating table at the age of 19, and my heart was restarted. Anectine had paralyzed my heart along with the rest of me. I later found out I have cholinesterase deficiency. That's why my heart stopped.”

Vern · Taken for less than 1 month November 3, 2018

“I had a bladder surgery, as a outpatient, when I got home , I started hurting in my shoulders, then my calves, then the front of my legs, then my back, side, neck, I was hurting all over! Every muscle I have was hurting so bad, I felt like they had taken me and slammed me to the floor in the operating room AND jumped up and down on me! I have never been in so much pain in my life this is the 2nd day for me. I hope this pain ends soon. They should have to give each one of us that has been through this horrible pain 50,000 each for all our suffering!! They know this medicine can cause this kind of pain , and still they use it!!They need to STOP!!IT.”

A nurse September 19, 2018

“I had a procedure that should’ve only required use of propofol but my anesthesiologist had to give me succinylcholine. It wasn’t until the next day but I suffered extreme muscle pain from my jaw down to my calves. My calf’s were the worst. I couldn’t even turn in bed by myself because my back muscles hurt so much! Took a week to feel back to normal except my calves. A month out and my calves still hurt if I try to run or jump or sprint up the stairs. Sometimes I’ll hear a pop in one or both calf’s which leaves me limping for the next week. I will never allow an anesthesiologist to give me this again! Save yourself the risk and ask for a different paralytic, there are others but a reversal will need to be given because they last longer than sux as the drug in mention is known as. The reversal drug for the other paralytics may cause one to have post op nausea but I’d welcome that over the awfulness that I've been through and continue to deal with.”

Sweetpea February 25, 2018

“I had a very simple procedure done on my bladder. It was done in the morning and by late afternoon I was home. Hours later I woke in severe pain all over my body. I had been diagnosed years before with fibromyalgia and this was much, much worse. It felt like I had gone crazy in the gym and every single muscle was screaming in pain. I contacted my doctor and let him know I could not handle this level of pain...I could not sleep...just getting up to use the bathroom was agony. My doctors hospitalized me for about 4 days and put me on a morphine drip....it was the only thing to do. Succinylcholine that was used in my simple procedure was found to be the culprit. I would never allow thus medicine in my body again.”

Troy M. Arizona · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2018

“I had some what I thought was relatively minor surgery yesterday that required general anesthesia. Sadly it's the third time in 2 weeks and I've probably got 2 more to go... Started roughly 12 hours after surgery INTENSE muscle pain and stiffness. This feels like overuse pain in my upper arms, thighs, legs, muscles in my rib area like I've done crunches all night. My jaw and back are the worst.. I had to sneeze earlier and thought I was gonna pass out. The area where the surgery was done -- not a twinge, well that I can feel in comparison.. I'm so stiff and sore I can barely move. I swear the O/R threw me on the floor and took turns beating the crap out of me? Why would areas of my body that had nothing to do during surgery feel like they've been through a freaking marathon race followed up with being hit by a truck? If I can handle bilateral kidney stones pushing three 7MM stones with stents in, anesthesia should be easy. I wouldn't give this to my worst enemy!!”

SClar · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2018

“I was given succinylcholine during my Thyroidectomy surgery. Hours after surgery I started experiencing intense muscle pain. All I could tell my doctors was that it felt like I’d done multiple work outs, that pain after a few days later, but 10 times worse. My doctors could not figure out what was happening. Finally, after consulting with the head of anesthesia he linked it to the succinylcholine. He asked, did she say she felt like she was hit by a Mack truck? It was about four days before the pain subsided. Avoid if at all possible !”