User Reviews for Fentanyl

Also known as: Abstral, Actiq, Duragesic, Duragesic-100, Duragesic-12, Duragesic-25, Duragesic-50, Duragesic-75, Fentanyl Transdermal System, Fentora, Ionsys, Lazanda, Onsolis, Sublimaze, Subsys

Learn more about Fentanyl.

Sedation 1 reviews 38 medications

6.4
Postoperative Pain 4 reviews 5 medications

Summary of Fentanyl reviews 315 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Fentanyl

For Chronic Pain: "I was on 12.5 mcg but I started metabolizing it too fast, I was in withdrawal after 48 hrs. I moved up to 25 mcg but after just a couple of months, back in withdrawal in 48 hrs instead of 72 hrs. My insurance refused to pay for 48 hr changes and only wanted to continue to have the doc increase from 25 mcg. It helps great for pain but at what cost?! Don't become dependent on this drug. It's not worth it. The withdrawal trying to come off this cold turkey or even with clonodine is inhumane. I had to check into detox to help get off after just 9 months. Please don't take this unless you're in end of life care. Doctors don't explain what it's like to get off this medicine. Once I got off this and Percocet, over the counter meds work again."

Notme2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Duragesic-50 (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Constipation & sedation...but great pain relief"

Bluerabbitrose12345 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I've had neck surgery, both shoulder surgeries and chronic low back (disc) problems for the past 14 years. Oral medications somewhat helped OxyContin, then Oxycodone and Morphine sulfate. Even Ibuprofen 800 for inflammation in my muscles and sciatic nerve on left leg. But, recently my Dr. put me on Fentanyl patch 25mcg/72 hour. It was amazing, I was pain free!! But, at a cost. I couldn't tolorate the side effects. For me? It affected my torso and abdomen area felt numb like Novacaine. It weakened my back and leg muscles. All within the first 16 days. I removed the (6th) patch then hospitalized, had a MRI of my brain to rule out Stroke. Almost complete loss of balance, using a cane. Started therapy to regain strength. No longer on the patch."

JudeezKid (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "After a month of continuous surgery, I shifted to oxycodone 30mg every four hours. It sedated me to the point of uselessness. My MD put me on equivalence of Fentanyl patches, and bam, no sedation, no euphoria, few side effects like nausea and mild insomnia. Very tolerable. Best part was great pain control without the baggage. I had to severely reduce klonopin during all this due to interactions but still find that half the previous dose of klonopin is still effective. Only real negative I've noted is interdose withdrawal symptoms prior to changing the patch. Always on the third day, so I'm going through patches a bit faster, tho still close to 72 hours. Maybe I'm just a fast metabolizer?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Duragesic-50 (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I have used several types of pain medication. I used fentanyl and was able to work for 5 extra years. The only problem that I had was my body absorbed it within 48 hours. My doctor didn't just increase the dosage he has me changing every 48 hours."

Mr.Ed (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 14, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "OA/DDD spine: Switched from oxycontin, to fentanyl patches, >15 yrs, Watson gel patch: terrible irritation/rash & v. poor adhesion. Switched to Mylan brand, 25 mcg, then 50 mcg, roxicet for bt pain. As many of you, I felt a lot of pain relief and was able to be physically active... gardening, bike riding, walking 4 mi.. I switched to Mallincrodt oxcodone 5 mg, (there is a difference in brands!). Inc in pain, yr ago tried 75 mcg, but didn't like: dizziness, headaches, incontinence. Quit fentanyl (5 weeks) tried gabapentin: vertigo, fell down stairs, etc!! Back to Mylan 37.5 mcg (1/1/17 inc $12 to 75) & oxcodone 5mg. Not enough, will see pain management Dr., this wk. (seen him for years) INSIST ON PAIN MANAGEMENT SP"

IWG (taken for 10 years or more) January 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Had 6 surgeries for cellulitis advancing to sepsis. 60 days in hospital. They discharged me with 2 weeks of oxycodone, pretty high dose around 120 mg/day. My MD preferred Fentanyl patches with low dose hydrocodone for breakthrough pain. I definitely prefer the Fentanyl, no wild mood swings or sedation like the oxycodone. Just blessed pain relief. Only have to put the patch on every three days. It seems to weaken on the third day, so I use the hydrocodone, but it beats being tied to the very tight dosing of oxycodone, with all its weird baggage."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I have been on all different meds for CRPS that I got from a work related injury 16 years ago. Tried just about all the extended release options available but they caused intolerable side effects. Even tried neurontin but only got side effects. This drug changed my life. I could function because the pain was tolerable for the first time in years. I do not know what I will do if it is ever unavailable to me. I still need something for break through pain but I can live an almost functional life now. I am at 125 mcg. every 48 hours. I found that 72 hours was too long between changes as the pain was intolerable on the 3rd day."

braveheart1980 January 3, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Been taking This medication for over 13 years responsibly!!! It has helped tremendously to control my pain but not without side effects of not being able to sleep well ever and constant sweating 24/7. Much safer to use than oral meds and no stomach problems."

Pain in the back (taken for 10 years or more) December 22, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "Back surgery didn't go very well so I was put on multiple drugs both pain and nerve. Most of the pill forms made me extremely sick. So I was put on fentanyl patches 25 mcg per every 3 days now up to 50 mcg after 1st of year will be up to 75mcg. Works well for me just when I first put it on I do suffer insomnia for 1 or 2 nights pain still with me but at times more tolerable. And the government wants doctors to cut way back on fentanyl be cause of abuse. Then gets cars locked up for speeding!!! I believe Doctors will stop writing scripts because they are afraid of the DEA and med reviews and people that surely need it will suffer. We will see what future holds and I wish everyone in these positions good luck. WE CAN ALL MOVE TO COLORADO"

sufferffBill (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 15, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Broke my back on L2 and L3. Was sent home the same day from hospital. Had a failed spinal surgery 4 years later as the breaks never fused. The surgery was 12 hours after the surgery Hydromorphone wasnt enough. So i was put on the Fentanyl 150mcg/h every 2 days . It helped my pain for full time pain management with Hydromorphone for breakthrough pain. I wish Fentanyl was never invented. I have lost all my teeth but 6 and my stomach is always upset, and i have been trying to come off it for a year now, unfortunately I cant find a medication that controls my pain like fentanyl"

Cherrie0777 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 7, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "After years of various types of drug therapy pain management was my last resort. I was declared permanently disabled. As a last result I chose pain management for a better quality of life. I have never gone above 50 mcgs. I alternate dosages during seasonal changes. I use 50 mcgs in winter time, and 37 mcgs in summer. It does not remove all of my pain. I use over the counter pain medications for break through pain. A higher dosage makes me too tired to function."

1warren (taken for 10 years or more) December 4, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Severe back pain, severe neck pain, and torn rotator culf"

Acg252 November 26, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "Have used a Fentanyl or Duregesic patch for 11 years following spinal fusion from T-2 to the Sacrum. Started on 50mcg every 72 hours. After five years, stepped down to one 25 and one 12 every 48 hours. Then two years ago stepped down to just one 25 every 72 hours. The patch works best for me if I wear it on lower abdomen area, otherwise have problems with it coming off. Maunufacturer also makes a difference. Sandoz brand is the best, but have found it hard to find. Most pharmacies use different manufacturers. Mylan brand the worst. They will not absorb into my body and I go through withdrawal. All the other manufacturers work just ok, but again not as good as Sandoz brand."

Livingbyfaith (taken for 10 years or more) November 21, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Have Osteoarthritis, stenosis and poor lumbar discs. Medical retirement with Back at age 59, am 75 and have been on 75 or 100 mcg/hr Fentanyl Patches for 15 years. I take Hydrocodone/Acet. 10/325 mg. 2-4 times most days to supplement my up or down daily pain ride. Mylan patches best to adher and change EVERY 48 hrs. as prescribed. Take 2 to 4 1 mg. Alprazolams per day for anxiety. This recipe has given me a solid life for years. Only side effects ever have been a 'whoever' would fail to refill Alprazs. on time, then anxiety withdrawals are rough. Bottom Line: Fetanyl Patches are Life Savers."

Loggy (taken for 10 years or more) November 17, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "I have severe DJD, bulging discs and spinal stenosis . I have tried everything, was on Opana ER and oxycodone for breakthrough pain. I would still wake up at 4 am in misery and would take more medicine and end up running out of pain meds. So after this yoyo with oral meds I finally asked my doc about fentanyl patches. He started me on 50 every three days. I'm at the 48 hr mark and it is definitely helping. I actually slept through the night last night for the first time in months. I'll change it tomorrow but so far it's really helping me. I have the Mylan brand and the patches stay on very well."

Nanant November 17, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Years ago I was on the older formula of Fentanyl and it worked wonders with minimal dosage & breakthrough meds. After the companies reformulated the drug it isn't nearly as good as it used to be &has many more side effects, brand depending. Mylan works best for me as far as fewer side effects but none work for the 72 hours they are supposed to. Originally, my max dose was 75mcg for 1.5 years prior to surgery. This time I am up to 125mcg w/in the first year + 10/325 Norco 4x daily +muscle relaxers for auto fusion of L3-S1. Pain level on day 1 is @7, day 2 is @4, day 3 is @8. I have to put my new patches on before taking the old off or life is hell. Thanks to drug addicts, illegal activity & government interference Doc can no longer help."

BonneMare (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "This drug works great for me, it takes for me 16 hrs to fully seem to get into my system. In the past I took the Vicoprofen (hydrocodone & Ibropfen) 7.5 mg. I started out with12.5 patch, after 1 1/2 yrs It was changed to applying every 48 hrs, after 2 yrs my dose is now 25 patch. Your body does get used to it, if after a year or so you become nervous, nauseated, headaches or feel dizzy and sick with headache, nausea, pain its no doubt time to change your patches application time or dose. I didn't know why I was getting too sick, the ER doc explained to me it was withdrawal symptoms, I didn't like to hear that but being we are dependent on them for pain (rather than being an addict), it can happen. IMPORTANT start taking a stool softner"

isaacs (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 1, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Subsys (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I've been on opiates for 29 years. I lead a successful and happy life because I've always treated painkillers with respect. They are addictive, but they can give you back your life if you use them properly. 2 years ago my pain doctor switched out my breakthrough meds from 6x 30mg oxycodone to 4x 800mcg Subsys. I also take 3x 80mg OxyContin for steady pain control. Tonight I will use my last subsys, tomorrow I was to receive my next 30 day supply. HOWEVER, LINDEN CARE calls me today and tells me they are not sending it. No 30 day supply, no warning. My insurance company called them to okay it, but Linden Care told them since I don't have cancer I'm not getting it anymore. My pain doctor tried talking to them, still nothing."

MeKosmo October 20, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Pain: "I recent began Fentynal Patches am on 37.5 Mylan. With a piggyback or b/t med of only Norco 5/325 twice daily . Im sorry but if this is supposed to be the strongest we have out there I am disappointed. I at one time was on or taking all vic meaning 7.5 as well as 10mg then percocet Percocet a joke. My body per saliva swab test don't recall name indicates my body metabolizes quickly. How long shall I wait to tell the Nurse Practioner Pain specialist this isn't working. Sure lightheaded all Narcotics begin that way, however pain still 7-8 what do I need to do? Only been on this dose second day I was on 25 mg she increased."

Banditboy October 9, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Very effective for pain. Have been pain meds for 11 yrs. Tried many others ie. hydrocodone, morphine, Percocet, oxymorphone, several others, but nothing worked like fentanyl. However, I have had some serious side effects. First I froze at 78 degrees inside our home in southwest florida. Then my left eye started getting really hazy. I thought my glasses were filthy. By the way it's still hazy after going through almost four months of withdrawal. Then my right leg felt like dead weight at night. My left leg felt like it was wrapped with a very tight sock from below the knee to my ankle. I felt like I was going to vomit any minute, my mouth started to get watery. My gut hurt like anything. "

Culebranegra (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abstral (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: "This drug merely gives a feel good factor and feeling of energy to do thinks that never happen. It is highly addictive . The withdrawal symptoms are awful and the NHS do not know how to treat patients withdrawing from this. It should be used at end of life or for in patients only."

abstraluser (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "The brand that you get makes a huge difference. I can only find the Apotex brand at the pharmacies within a 70 mile range(25mcg/hr). Some times these patches have very little or no effect on my pain.I am sure it is the lack of consistent medication on some of the patches because I have actually suffered through about 24 hours of no relief then take the patch off and try a new patch,my pain was better 5 minutes later.By each patch being so inconsistent, it can not possibly control my pain consistently.My friend uses Pac brand which she has her pharmacy order, and says they work fine.I will check reviews on different brands and try to have them ordered."

Kat1964 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Actiq (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: "Used several years ago. I was prescribed the fentanyl patch for 72 hrs (3) days. Actiq was prescribed for breakthrough pain. What a God-send! Finally research supported that people have differing degrees of metabolism and my patch was changed to every 48 hours. Still. fentanyl in patch for around the clock pain control WITH the Actiq Lollipop-type medication for "breakthrough" pain was a life savior. I was a mother of 3 boys with the severest form of neck, back and fibromylagia putting my pain level off the charts. This med allowed me (after taking a dose of Actiq) to 1) go grocery shopping, 2)take, pick-up and volunteer for a whole hour, 3) cook dinner and go to church and lastly, 4)participate in activities lasting 1 hr."

Donna Pain Controlled W/Actiq& September 16, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Does extremely well with controlling chronic pain, but is also extremely addictive, and can even lead to abuse, especially in those predisposed to addiction."

Mudguppy (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2016