User Reviews for Fentanyl

Also known as: Duragesic, Fentanyl Transdermal System, Actiq, Fentora Subsys Lazanda

Fentanyl has an average rating of 8.0 out of 10 from a total of 395 ratings on Drugs.com. 74% of those users who reviewed Fentanyl reported a positive effect, while 9% reported a negative effect.

Dercum's Disease  Off-label 9.3
Anesthetic Adjunct   1.0
Summary of Fentanyl reviews 8.0 395 reviews

Reviews for Fentanyl

Huckleberry · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 25, 2021

For Chronic Pain: “I've got to say this much about fentanyl, one of my biggest problems with these patches is the fact that they have a nasty habit of coming off or not sticking to the skin at all. My next issue is that I am running out of usable places I can reach and keep track of the patch while wearing it, because they are irritating my skin. I've had to stop swimming for fear of the patch falling off of my skin.”

TJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 10, 2021

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: “I have dealt with chronic back pain for 15 years. After being on several different long acting opioids. My new pain management Doctor (well, he was new to me in 2017!) put me on duragesic patches. Can’t say enough positive things about the quality of life I have now. Yes, I still have bouts of breakthrough pain, but no longer take it as often. Also nice not to have to worry about “do I have my meds?” When leaving the house for work as one patch changed every 72 hours. Boom. Done. I do have auto shipment of tegaderm (on a roll) delivered every couple months, as no matter what brand the pharmacy prescribes - NONE of them are without coming loose at some point!”

CRPSGuy · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 5, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “I have been on the name brand Duragesic 72 hr transdermal patch (75mcg) for years for my chronic pain from systemic CRPS, Fibromyalgia, Failed back syndrome, and a few other things. It has worked great for me BUT I just talked with Jansen Pharma that makes it and was told the reason my pharmacist has had a hard time getting any is because they (Jansen) have stopped making it! The generics are still out there but they didn’t come close to touching my pain. Anyone have thoughts about what I can try now? I am very worried.”

Alfie · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2020

For Anesthetic Adjunct: “I went to the hospital to get a colonoscopy done, I was in a lot of pain the they gave me 75mcg of fentanyl as a pain relief they said I would feel my heart rate increase but I felt nothing it didn't even help with the pain so my procedure was stopped. They said that I couldn't drive for 24 hours but I don't feel anything I just the same as I did before I had the medication so god knows what it's meant to do because it had no effect on me at all”

Geri · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 27, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “Johnson & Johnson stopped making their fentanyl patches without any warning to pharmacies or their warehouses. Imagine my shock to lose the 1 medication that enabled me to live a somewhat normal life. I have been in chronic pain since a car accident in 2001. I had tried every fentanyl manufacturer after Sandoz stopped production on their patch & Duragesic was the only one that I could use without horrible side effects. Now, I’m on morphine & it barely takes the edge off of my pain. I’ve called J&J, spoke to different departments, inquired as to why they chose to stop producing this drug, & have gotten nowhere. I even asked if they ever considered the patients that depended on their patch for pain relief. One woman told me there are other brands available & hung up on me. Another sent forms to complete. My intention is to relate that my “adverse reaction” is the pure anger I have for them not considering how many people there are in chronic pain that their decision affected.”

Painbren · Taken for 10 years or more September 23, 2020

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: “I have Complex regional syndrome in left arm, shoulder also hand I've been on the patches for 20 years only side effects is sometimes I get rash under area where the patch is apply. I'm on 50mg”

Sweetpea · Taken for 10 years or more September 18, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “I have been using name brand fentanyl patches 100mcg (Duragesic) for 12 years. I have a special authorization so my insurance company will pay for them because of allergy issues. Last month I find out that Johnson & Johnson stopped making them. Wow now I have to use a generic for the first time in 12 years. I end up getting Apotex brand. OMG they won't stick so I had to tape them on. I don't think they have any fentanyl in them at all. My pain was so bad my Doctor rewrote my prescription so I could get another brand. What does my pharmacy do drops me as a patient and refuses to ever fill my prescriptions again. Even though I was going to give back the Apotex brand to fill new ones. My Doctor was even stunned by their reaction cause I'm not a patient that has issues : my pain is a 4-5 normally to now an 8-9. Obviously something is seriously wrong. This month I ordered Mylan through a new pharmacy and my pain is much better. Apotex brand should be taken off the market.”

Lovefent · Taken for 10 years or more September 14, 2020

For Pain: “I have been on Mylan brand fentynal for 15 years. My Dr changed at my clinic, he doesn't like patches for pain, took me off of them. After over 2 months of trying other pain meds my PA wisely is putting me back on. I have had little issues with the patch. I have learned to cover them with transdermal patch to make sure they stay on. I am given Butrans transdermal to help with the highs and lows. I like the fact for me fentynal doesn't upset my stomach, doesn't make me tired, or make me feel high. For me Mylan brand is the way to go. I have tried others only to have allergic reaction or no pain control. My Dr puts Mylan brand only on script, forcing pharmacy and insurance to keep providing them.”

Smith · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 3, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “When I got my 100 mcg. fentanyl patches refilled this time, the pharmacy gave me the APOTEX brand, and let me tell you - they are the VERY WORST patches I have ever had!! There is absolutely NO MEDICATION in these!! I don't know why or how Apotex is getting away with this but I think I am going to contact the FDA and others to let someone in AUTHORITY look into it!! Do yourself a big favor and if you are ever offered this so called drug, REJECT IT!!! If you accept it, then you will be sitting in AGONY for a month like I am right now!! APOTEX SUCKS!! They are taking money for NOTHING!! These patches don't help me anymore than a piece of clear tape on my body would!! Don't say you weren't warned!!”

Moonpie · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 16, 2020

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: “I have a lot of experience with fentanyl patches they have always worked now I've been switched to a different brand due to lack of insurance I had to drop the price never before has a brand not worked. Now this particular brand not only does it not work it doesn't do anything at all with all the equivalent testing how is this possible. Although I would never accuse someone of this especially a drug company it's almost like there is no fentanyl on the patch at all. What's even crazier is that the particular patch that doesn't work claims to have bio equivalence testing and that they're just as good as the brand name and I have personally used one or two generic companies that are they the best I have I ever used. This is a drug that gives people quality of life and without it they may as well give up. Fentanyl Transdermal System drug used properly is one of the best that has ever been made and now they are making generic so cheap that I'm not even sure that the drug is actually on the patch that is very scary”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more August 7, 2020

For Pain: “Been using Mallinkrodt 100mcg fentanyl effectively for almost 10 years. Around April/May pharmacy said could no longer get Mallinkrodt and the other brands did not work. What is issue with Mallinkrodt. Without Mallinkrodt pain Is at 7-9 out of 10”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2020

For Pain: “I didn't want to be sedated. I checked in for a procedure with local anesthetic and no sedation. Told Anesthesiologists I only wanted minimal drugs. He asked me if he could give me Fentanyl to relax me. I knew Fentanyl was an opioid so I said yes for pain. Of course he used it to sedate me, knowing I didn't want to be sedated. Pumped this drug into me for the whole 1 1/2hr procedure. Anxiety, hallucinations, scrambled my thought processes and memory. Still having these problems and it's 2 weeks after the procedure. I will do everything in my power to never put this drug into my body ever again!”

Lee June 17, 2020

For Postoperative Pain: “First dose IV. No effect Second dose IV. No effect I said "forget it the pains not that bad anyway"”

Diana · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 19, 2020

For Pain: “I have been on Mallinckrodt 50 mcg fentanyl patches also 12 mcg patches for over 10 years, for neuropathy just recently the pharmacy can not get my brand. The replacement brand does not stick to me! I have been using water proof tape for 3 weeks and my skin is breaking down.... How can I get Mallinckrodt Brand?”

Mae · Taken for 10 years or more April 16, 2020

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: “Was on fentynal duragesic for a number of years when the brand I was using became unavailable tried 3 other brands over the next few months . I had an allergic reaction to the adhesive in 2 of them. Mallinckrodt was the brand that worked for me. No allergic reaction to it. My Dr. Has had me trying other forms of pain control in the past year with unfavorable results from severe allergic reactions to not effective. I just called my pharmacy to have them order mallinckrodt atlas the Dr. had sent in a prescription for me to start fentanyl. If mallinckrodt is not available not sure what I can do.thanks”

Marie March 9, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “Had 2 failed back surgery's with nerve damage. Fentanyl saved my life. Been on it 11yrs no pain whatsoever. Live in New Zealand all our drugs are free.”

InventingJoy · Taken for 10 years or more March 8, 2020

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: “Sharky who wrote about Mallinckrodt switched to aposto manufacturing. I could have written that exactly as u described..what I did & what I fear. Had to get another rx from Dr, but got Mallinckrodt. 1 week & already improved pain level.fyi: I have tried a number Of brands including mylan. The only 1 effective for me is Mallinckrodt. A post has the same packaging graphics & colors as Mallinckrodt. I didn't notice the change but my body knew. Med person : "It's the same stuff" no it isn't! My fear : Mallinckrodt is being sued & rumors on the street facing bankruptcy. Without that brand I'm disable d. If they are out I'm out. What do I do? Trying to be proactive. Thnx. Inventing joy”

s · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

For Pain: “I was administered fentanyl through my IV tube for a small operation where I had to be awake. It didn't work and I felt everything. The doctor instructed the nurse to give me a second dose. Still nothing. I would have been better off with tylenol.”

Sharky · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 24, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “I was using Mallinckrodt fentanyl patches for 3 years then I got dispensed "Apotex" brand something about the patches make me itch all over and gave me a rash. Honestly "Apotex" does not work for me in relieving the pain, I was at a 6 in pain level with Mallinckrodt and now I'm at an 8 along with the itching and rash. Has anyone else had any issues with these?”

S · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

For Anesthetic Adjunct: “I had to have some eggs taken from my ovaries for storage because I’m newly single and 39. Before the procedure, the nurse gave me a light sedative and fentanyl. The sedative made it hard for me to keep my eyes open but the fentanyl didn’t work. They gave me a second shot halfway as I was yelling in pain. I felt everything but the sedative made me less responsive. I don’t know if it’s the case for a lot of people but for me it did nothing.”

Lee · Taken for 10 years or more February 20, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “Fentanyl dermal patches are a miracle medicine. They're the reason I have a life and my kids a mother, my husband a wife. To gain a little insight into the subject of pain the ignorant anti-opioid Narco team if you experienced a few weeks' worth of pox and pancreatitis and had only Tylenol for that, you anti-opioid zealots, and tell us how it's working for you.”

Mike January 23, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “I have a rare disease called Trigeminal neuralgia it’s said to be the most painful disease on earth. Fentanyl has literally saved me. I’m a car salesman and it literally makes my life worth living. I can love my family and work 70 hour weeks selling cars. As far as brands of fentayl go the Mylan by far is the best second is probably Alvogen. Apotex is the worst by far. Mine typically only work for like 50 hours or so. I do start to withdrawal but luckily my doctor has me on 100mcg/hr every 72 hours and he gives me a box of 25mcg for when the patches don’t last the full length or when I have bad breakthrough pain. Couldn’t be happier.”

Maureen · Taken for 10 years or more January 15, 2020

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Pain: “A thousand words or less I guess, I started taking fentanyl patches 25 mg about 10 years plus ago I have chronic pain my my back has been fused. Don't let the fentanyl scare you but don't keep going up on the dose. If you go up you have to keep going up.It does help take off the deep pain but you need to learn how to cope and just suck up some of the pain. Talk with your doctor and see if he can add a little bit of Norco, or muscle relaxers, or Valium something like that to kind of help. The pain will come back around when you are really stressed out so try to keep yourself calm. Off insurance fentanyl is about $75 a month make sure you use any discount vouchers”

Chicky · Taken for 10 years or more January 13, 2020

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Pain: “I have Dercums disease which is extremely painful. I have been on every narcotic. The Fentanyl patch 100 units relieved all pain. I have had numerous surgery to remove painful lipoma. I became concerned about possible addiction and sought help in a hospital in NYC. The pain specialist advised a DRG implant as well as proposed cessation of all narcotics.”

cv · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2020

For Sedation: “Cardiac arrest, for 6 days in the hospital, constant through intravenous therapy IV. Should be banned....period. No appetite after a year. Feel terrible.”