User Reviews for Fentanyl

Also known as: Abstral, Actiq, Duragesic, Duragesic-100, Duragesic-12, Duragesic-25, Duragesic-50, Duragesic-75, Fentanyl Transdermal System, Fentora, Ionsys, Lazanda, Onsolis, Sublimaze, Subsys

Learn more about Fentanyl.

Sedation 1 reviews 38 medications

6.4
Postoperative Pain 4 reviews 5 medications

Summary of Fentanyl reviews 292 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Fentanyl

Actiq (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: "Used several years ago. I was prescribed the fentanyl patch for 72 hrs (3) days. Actiq was prescribed for breakthrough pain. What a God-send! Finally research supported that people have differing degrees of metabolism and my patch was changed to every 48 hours. Still. fentanyl in patch for around the clock pain control WITH the Actiq Lollipop-type medication for "breakthrough" pain was a life savior. I was a mother of 3 boys with the severest form of neck, back and fibromylagia putting my pain level off the charts. This med allowed me (after taking a dose of Actiq) to 1) go grocery shopping, 2)take, pick-up and volunteer for a whole hour, 3) cook dinner and go to church and lastly, 4)participate in activities lasting 1 hr."

Donna Pain Controlled W/Actiq& September 16, 2016

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Does extremely well with controlling chronic pain, but is also extremely addictive, and can even lead to abuse, especially in those predisposed to addiction."

Mudguppy (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2016

Subsys (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: "I had pelvic surgery from the best uro/ gyn surgeon in the Houston area. He royally meshed up my surgery leaving me with pelvic anuryzm. My pain is at 10+/24-7 without meds. I have not found any meds that would bring the pain below a 7 before I found Subsys. My only issue with Subsys is it only last 3hrs......never more. My Dr. Has me on 800mcg. He is very careful and will not increase it. Subsys is great....it's just not a free for all."

Diane D. September 8, 2016

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Only pain med that has worked consistantly for a long period of time but you must be careful. If being outside in sun it must be covered to prevent over dose because heat will increase output. Worked best for me with a low dose and using methadone for breakthrough but most Dr's wont prescribe methadone because of stigma associated with its normal use but had my pain level to around 3. Roxycodone can only get me to 6 at best."

Sbay (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 27, 2016

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I have had bad back, neck and shoulder pain for 12 plus years. My Dr's.tried several times doing guided steroid injections and for several hours after the injections I would feel pain free. Once the numbing agent wears off the pain returns to normal. They tried trans dermal compounded creams as well as NSAID's and oral medications. Some of the oral medications worked but not long enough. I would take one at bed time and 5 to 6 hours I would wake up in pain and couldn't go back to sleep. I was only allowed to take 3 a day so if I used one at bed time and one near morning I had nothing through the day. the patches worked well but they tend to roll up and fall off. I am told not to put tape over them. Not sure what to do about that."

BBBtheKing (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 5, 2016

For Pain: "Excellent! I suffered from inadequately controlled back pain for decades. Finally when several sleep studies confirmed that at least part of my daytime sleepiness was due to pain issues, I was put on Fentanyl patches. While we did have to experiment with dosing the back pain has been well controlled for decades with NO side effects! It did not work well for my joint pain, but I have other treatment options that are effective. While I have had a recent increase in breakthrough pain, it is likely because my sleep disorder (unrelated to pain) has exacerbated considerably and I've been unable to change my patches on schedule."

Artistic 1 July 27, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "I injured my back in 99 and since have been on everything from morphine, oxy, Norco, dilaudid and on and on and never did I get good relief. I would still wake up feeling like an old man with awful pain in my back. I went on Fentanyl 25 mch and the difference was amazing. It did take a bit, almost two days, for me to feel the full effect of the medication but I had bt pain meds that took care of it. It is amazing how great it is to wake up in the morning and NOT have to reach for the pain pill, first thing!!"

joelt2105 June 26, 2016

For Breakthrough Pain: "With what our government has done, with taking away other drugs, and making others harder to get, Fentanyl (for me) at least seems safe and last long enuff to be pain-free till the next dose!"

Lesti (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2016

For Pain: "The medication itself is quite helpful. The peel-off backing is a real pain. I struggle with it every time I need a new one. Is there no way to design an easier way to get the back off. Maybe starting the medicine part of the patch farther down on the backing would help."

Hooshie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 20, 2016

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Pain: "I have trouble keeping it sealed all sides I have to use tape lost 3 patches"

Nannygrunt May 16, 2016

For Anesthesia: "Was administered fentanyl during endoscopy and stopped breathing once during procedure and once in recovery. Still woozy two days after having had fentanyl; also perspire after any mild exertion. The drug seems to not agree with me at all; better to go through the rages after Demerol."

yenaika (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

Subsys (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: "I was given Subsys as a replacement for 30mg instant release OxyContin. 800mcg 4x per day instead of 4x 30mg OxyContin. My usual opiate regimen is 3x 80mg OxyContin, which has been at this level for 16 years now. Combined with the 4x 800mcg Subsys my pain is controlled more than ever has been (since 1990 when it began), but the dosage is so strict that there are times when I have to live with unbearable break through pain for up to 8 hours. Is my pain under control? Yes, but I live with a pain level of 7-7.5 24/7/365. Without Subsys my pain would be unbearable."

KosmoInNYC May 9, 2016

For Pain: "I had 2 broken knuckles replaced. Sent home with oxycontin and oxycodone. They were like eating a tic tac. I ended up spending a week in the hospital pushing a button on a pain pump which contained morphine. IT did absolutely nothing for my pain. Finally, I was seen by a pain management doctor who prescribed 50 mcg fentanyl patches every other day. I was able to go home and start physical therapy. I am so thankful they found something that worked fro ME. Every patient is different and everyone responds differently to different medications. I am a 100 pound 55 year old woman."

vlee (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "I started on 25 after 6 months went to 50 mg another year 75 mg 2 years 100 mg I have stayed at this level about 4 years some weeks I need the my pain pills for beak through pain every 6 hours but most of the time I take it once a day.Before Fetanyl I would always wake up at night with horrible pain then after taking meds.it would take a couple of hours to get the pain back under control. It has been a life saver for me as for the patch wearing off to soon I have forgotten to switch my patch and it is usually the 2nd day before I start hurting badly the other thing is I never take pain pills unless my pain is above a level 4 this has always helped me not to crave them and it may be why am not as sensitive as those who try for a 0 pain level"

7yearsonfetanyl April 28, 2016

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I have found that at least one out of each box of 5 has little or no medication on it. This has put me back in horrible pain and dangerous withdrawal symptoms..I was given the 25 mcg/ change every 72 hrs to take the place of my deactivated morphine pump that malfunctioned (overdosed & under dosed)..Diagnosis: severe scoliosis,degenerative disk,etc."

EnuffsEnuff (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "I guess I must have a very,very strong constitution as I have been on the 50 mcg patch for about 6 months now, I started reading about the side effects from withdrawal and it scared the crap out of me,so I decided to make an appt. With my pain doc,it's for 4/27. As of right now it is wednesday at 9:45 a. M. I was supposed to change out the patch on this past sunday,i haven't changed it yet,i still have the one on from the last time which was 4/13/16 the only thing I noticed last night is I was jittery and after taking my sleep meds temazapam and 1 mg of generic xanax, I was tossing and turning and feeling slight muscle spasms,a lack of sleep isn't that bad. I do feel qck tempered but will smoke a little tnite and that will help w/sleep."

joe1954 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "I'd been on OxyContin for 10 yrs prior to Fentenyl Patch 50mg. After relocating to FL I have found securing Oxy suppy spotty. At best-never knowing from mo to mo whether it was going to be available-driving to 5-6 pharmacies(no info given via phone)& maybe only getting 1/2 my pills. Solution was to switch to Fentenyl which isn't as effective-I now use much more hydracodon for breakthrough pain, plus dispensing of Patch is erratic = first night of the 72 hrs I'm wide awake & by last 24 hrs relief is very weak. Constant problem in FL heat of patch staying adhered. Until FL lightens its restrictions on acquiring Oxy, the Patch will have to do(this is my 3rd yr with Fentenyl)."

PennyDeeWill (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 31, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "my experiecnce with the patches is that they work amazing if you get the right dose and the correct brand. The matrix patches are junk you are lucky if they stay on after 24 hrs if you take a shower and happen to have oily skin. Now the gel patches work extremely well - the adhesive for some reason is way better. I read over some comments also about what classifys 48 hr to 72hr and that would be your physician also if you really read the papers that come in your boxes of fentanyl you will notice that the pharmakinetics of the patch over the 72 hours the first 24 are ok then from 24-48 is peak working condition then they start to taper off and this is what you need to explain to your physcian show paperwork & pain diary hope that helped"

LA80'sman (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2016

For Chronic Pain: " When my medical care first stopped giving me my Methadone for chronic pain, I was switched to a 25 mcg. Fentanyl patch. It did nothing at all. I was then moved up to 37 mcg's of Fentanyl. Again, it didn't work. My PCP finally put me up to 50mcg's, but no luck. Now I'm on 100 mcg's of Fentanyl, and it still doesn't work at all. This medication is worthless, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. I'm finally going to see another pain doctor and get on something that actually helps, so I've got my fingers crossed. The bottom line is that at least for me, Fentanyl patches are absolutely useless!"

Desperate for relief February 11, 2016

Duragesic-50 (fentanyl) for Pain: "I have been all the way up to 150-200 mg with 30 mg breakthru. I really had a life then but wasn't really "there". I couldn't find any doctor in my area to presribe fentenyl so all I got was 15mg oxycodone and that's it. I have a 30 degree curve in back, left hip damage, Crohn's disease and now colon cancer. I'm back on them but only at 50 mg every 72 hours. It's a joke. The DEA here is cruel to people that truly need it. Tolerance included, I don't absorb oral meds but do receive very few 15's for break thru. I am waiting for a pain pump once my colon is removed but can I make it? I'm angry, depressed and want to just sleep without screaming."

bloxham (taken for 10 years or more) January 19, 2016

Fentora (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I have been on fentora for six months with the fentanyl patch and it does an amazing job."

AKALADY (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2016

Subsys (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I live with chronic pain from many different health issues. I have 3 types of migraines, liver disease, Crohn's disease, gastroparesis, IBD, IBS, gerd, ulcerative colitis, pseudotumo cerebri too many things to list. However I stay in pain. I have been on every drug known to man and this is a fast acting medication that helps the pain and you don't feel like your on cloud 90. My insurance has been great and now they don't want to cover it but want to pay for a drug that cost more then this medication that will do nothing but make me in more pain because we get to play the guess game till we find the dose that will work if we do find one and then pay for more er trips. Not happy. Subsy gave me my hubby and kids back somewhat again."

Kittykat2153 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2016

Fentora (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Fentora gave me my life back! But it is very hard to get it covered. They do, however, offer a coupon program for those who can't. Our cost out of pocket was going to be just about $5,000 per month. Insane! Thankfully my pharmacist told me about the coupon program. This brought our co-pay to $5 per month! I have been on Fentora for years now. Probably 5-7 years. I've been through 3 insurance companies. I've always gotten my Fentora, after long battles. The only negatives to Fentora are: 1) if your mouth is too wet it will dissolve almost instantly and it won't give you the same help so I try to dry my mouth out first. 2) if you put them in the same spot you will get sores 3) hard to cut in half; they disintegrate Otherwise, miracle med"

Tvanhook (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016

For Pain: "My husband has Stage IV Tongue Cancer. He was put on fentanyl patches starting at 25 mcg & was raised to 150 mcg q 72 hrs. What determines 48 hours or 72 hours the ins.? How do they know what relieves a persons pain especially one with cancer! It has been terrible watching him in such pain because the ins. won't cover the patches when necessary with the Drs. approval due to increase until pain relieving amount was reached! Any ideas what I can do??"

helpless caretaker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2015

For Pain: "My husbands ins. keeps changing the quantity allowed a month, he also takes 4 mg dilaudid for breakthrough pain. Now they are rejecting a prescription that is for the same exact amount except that instead of 10- 100 mcg patches & 5-50 mcg patches(i don't know why they won't give him 10- 50's like the Dr. prescribes) she wrote it for 20-75mcg 2 q 3 days. The reject message says maxium daily dose of 0.36 isn't this the same as 1-100mcg & 1-50mcg q 3 days?"

helpless caretaker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 6, 2015