User Reviews for Fentanyl

Postoperative Pain
6.6

Summary of Fentanyl reviews 8.2 356 reviews

Reviews for Fentanyl

For Sedation: "Husband is a stage 4 SCLC patient. They gave him this in the ICU when ventilated for sedation. They kept him on it after then vent came off for pain management. For pain relief it was as good as most of the other things he has been on (no better than Diluad, or Oxy). He had horrific hallucinations when taking a very small dose IV. He was having delusions. (He told a nurse he was an undercover bounty hunter at the hospital to serve a warrant). Less than a week after beginning it, he ripped his NG tube out because a 'monster' was sitting on him and 'shoving tentacles' down his nose. Thankfully it was just the NG tube not his PICC line in the jugular. The medical staff had NO IDEA it could cause hallucinations. I discovered it was a infrequent but noted side effect. They placed him back on the Diluad after this and his hallucinations subsided."

Cancer Wife (taken for less than 1 month) March 8, 2019

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I have mfp( chronic peritonitis) I have severe abdominal issues I have had 9 surgeries 1978 to 1998 . In 1997 I had gastroparesis I was put on hyperalimentation for 8 years I was put on fentanyl then for pain. I have been on 75mcg for 20 years I have continued to work and function 2 years ago I had to have surgery I asked for them to decrease my fentanyl to 50mcg I also take oxycodone. Recently I was told that the FDA has guidelines that you can only have 90 equivalents in your system my was well over that now they have decreased to 37.5 and they started that still to high they have decreased my oxycodone from 10 to now 5mg three times a day and they have tried cannibus so now I have been pushed back to 40 years ago. I also have pancreatitis crohns and ulcerative colitis on top of all that plus a few more illnesses that cause pain. I am also facing to go back on hyperal because of all this fentanyl worked well and I had 12 years of somewhat good health from 1999 to 2011."

Noonny February 4, 2019

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I had a fall in Marine Corps Training in 1970. I was the only Person in my Platoon who had not fallen from a opstical called the slide for life I was told to fall and salute my Series Commander on the way down I fell 43 feet in water and mud flat on my Back. I have been in Pain has my Back got worse 6 operations later and waiting to get the 7th one I am In tremendous PAIN I used fentanyl 3 years with great results. The recent war against people who abuse drugs has got up in it people who do not abuse and are really in Pain."

Marine (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2019

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Been taking Fentanyl for about 6 years now. Was on hydrocodone before this for about 10 years. At first it was great. 50mcg every 3 days. then to 75 then to 100mcg. I work very hard sometimes in 110f degree weather. The withdrawals are the worst thing I have ever experienced. No joke I just can't take it if my patch sweats away to fast. If you can do without it then do without it. The people that know what it feels like will agree it's absolutely horrific. Ever hear the phrase "pooping bricks". The people who tested this made that up that phrase - it is just like a brick. Lost weight and wish I would have never used it. Gets rid of 70% of my pain. Pain or withdrawals and side effects? I choose pain."

agent86tf (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 27, 2018

For Chronic Pain: "I have had Colon Cancer (no chemo) and Breast Cancer with chemo, I have had pain since, back, hips, legs so on and so forth, diagnosed with Osteoarthritis..I am 68 and about all I can do is give 1 hour to ADL's (Activities of daily living). Fentanyl did not work. I've been on the oxys, vicodins, morphins nothing gets me below a 5 on the pain scale, I did have bariatric bypass.. If anyone has any ideas please help..."

TLC (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 17, 2018

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I was put on fentanyl patch when percocet no longer worked. After a month I asked the doctor to give me something else. My skin turned grey, my husband said he could smell the fentanyl coming through my skin and I just wasn't myself. Personally would never use it again."

Peanut (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2018

For Pain: "Utter sleeplessness Extreme Headache Brain Burning, Inside of Skull on Fire Severe Twitching of Limbs Confusion Inability to Focus Total loss of memory! Total loss of appetite Neurological Issues, Visual"

Fat Fill (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2018

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "To be 100% honest with you guys I tried fentanyl for about a month or so and the first Patch at 12. 5 micrograms actually worked and lasted about 2 hours but then it suddenly stopped working so the doctor upped my dosage to 25 micrograms then up to 50 micrograms and then she skipped it to 100 micrograms and they didn't do nothing. I had no nausea, no pain relief, no stomach cramps absolutely nothing and I was wasting money on this stuff that did nothing. So I would definitely stay away and plus these patches were only going on my skin one patch every 3 days which is absolutely ridiculous . A waste of time... and for a 400 pound man that has severe severe chronic back pain I could have easily used four or five patches a day easy that's if they worked. I'm just going to say this. Stick too fast acting medications because they work for me."

Rellik0078 (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2018

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I am on 150mcg Fentanyl transdermal patch and have been for ten years. It adequately treats my degenerative disc disease when many other meds, including morphine, did not. I was treated at a Hospital in Boston, at their Pain Clinic and was lucky. I am lucky but it is not easy street, there are the side effects of constipation, and memory loss, etc. But I don't have many choices, at least the patches take care of my pain for about 90 percent of the time. Different medications affect us all differently. Luckily for me my MDs were able to treat me. We must learn that we don't have to beat ourselves or allow others to beat us up for our illnesses. We wouldn't deny cancer patients their pain meds but we have different views for people and patients with other chronic pain illnesses. A UK study, around 2008, claimed that more than ¾ of pain patients were not being adequately treated for pain."

CJ (taken for 10 years or more) August 3, 2018

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I was on 75 mcg patches for 12 years after a horrible accident that smashed my knees and back. I made the mistake of working in very hot weather and a patch sweated off twice in my monthly prescription cycle. The doctors refused to replace the patches and I got horrific withdrawals. After reaching out for help I was put on suboxone to wean me off the patches, labelled a drug addict and have been made to jump through hoops to get any form of decent analgesia. If this happens to you don't ask for help wait for the withdrawals to pass or you'll go through 10 months of hell with pain like I've had to."

hmmf (taken for 10 years or more) July 17, 2018

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Pain: "I've had severe pain for the last 15 years after a T10 vertebrae fracture from an accident. I've had fentanyl patches for the last 12 years. It has provided the most pain relief and is the most constant pain relief that I've had. Now because of the opioid "scare & abuse" they are tapering me off the patches all together. I am scared to death about the amount of pain I'm going to be in. Right now my pain level is about 7.5. By the time the patches are gone I'll be literally flopping around like a fish out of water. That's how bad the pain was to begin with! The doctor doesn't have an answer as to how to control the pain after that. I've just been told that opioids don't work for chronic pain but I've found numerous articles stating that they DO work for some people's pain."

Lakewood, WI (taken for 10 years or more) July 4, 2018

For Chronic Pain: "Three levels of the lumbar spine have been fused, and I've had a spinal stimulator for about 6 months. I was on Fentanyl patches and, given all of the political controversy surrounding the drug, I decided to come off of it and use Hydrocodone for pain control. The supply in drug stores was being rationed by their distributors, and I couldn't count on my required dosage always being available. The drug has become a political football in the state where I live. I came off of Fentanyl in stages, dropping the dose each time by 50%--and at each transition experienced withdrawal symptoms. In retrospect, Fentanyl was very effective in pain control. The alternatives at this point are meditation, exercise, injections, RF probes, and lesser drugs--all of which I'm familiar with. Interestingly, when I inquired of my physician as to the use of cannabis-based approaches, I was advised that I would be dropped from his care after two months if I chose to pursue this alternative."

beto (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2018

Abstral (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Hi I was on 200mcg of fentanyl patch and 800mcg of the abstral (Fentayl oral) every 4 hours and also 100mcg nasal spray. I was total hooked on this drug I was a time bomb waiting too go off. I don't have cancer but I have lots of other conditions which cause me horrible amounts of pain. Anyway I am under a palliative care for my pain management. We decided to start withdrawing the patch first and then the abstral and replaced it with liquid ketamine. Anyway I'm no longer on the abstral and staying at 75mcg of the fentanyl patch, the ketamine has now gone and I just have the patch and oxynorm for breakthrough pain it's not been easy and I did it so there is hope to anyone reading this"

fent073 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 21, 2018

For Postoperative Pain: "Had this for pain for a minor surgical procedure and for some pain afterwards and it's great stuff! I metabolize meds quickly, but this stuff took my 5 on a pain scale to a 2 in about a minute and lasted for 6 hours. Definitely would get again if I ever have to have a surgical procedure. Also had it during the operation with Propofol. No nausea either from the anti-nausea meds. Worked great."

N/A (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2018

Fentora (fentanyl) for Breakthrough Pain: "I am tremendously grateful for Fentora and the people whom make this med possible: the manufacturer, my pain physician & my pharmacist. I continue to battle Esophageal cancer, have had a full Esophagectomy & a thoracotomy on each side. This drug works within 2 minutes, doesn’t present any side effects & allows me to complete many tasks I couldn’t do without this medication. The cost is outrageous; however, Medicare and USPF provide an unbelievable level of support to me financially!"

JRC_1962 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 21, 2018

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I have liver disease from years of Tylenol by hands full. I had to function so I could work. I have severe migraines and later in life developed bad back but I refuse to have surgery. My sister had surgery, enough said. I was on the patches for a couple of years with Norco for break through pain. I was doing so well I could walk and even go places where I had to walk. With all the bad press and gov. regulations my doctor stopped prescribing it to any patient. With the patches there was more of an even keel managing the pain with my back. I have now gone back to the condition I was in 3 years ago. The druggie creeps are causing me to suffer and I'm angry. I don't want to spend what years I have left sitting in a recliner. I just want to function."

Jane (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2018

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for : "I have anaphylaxis, RA, multiple connective tissue diseases then dercums disease made my life almost untenable. Luckily my GP & rheumatoid specialist were aware of this disease. I was already on azathioprine & fentanyl patches. As the pain increased my fentanyl patches have been increased to 150 mcg per hour changed every 3 days. Azathioprine to 150mg daily. My whole body has lipomas from my head to my feet on right hand side & to my knee on left hand side. Also internally. My lungs filled up with 2 1/2 litres of blood & drs started discussing lung transplants. I have practised meditation & self healing since I was 12 & now I'm 55. This is the only thing that stops my depression taking complete control."

LaceMumma (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 13, 2018

For Sedation: "My mother received a fentanyl "cocktail." She left the ICU three weeks later after a horrific reaction to the anesthetic, hallucinating, her math skills regressed to kindergarten level, verbal skills mildly impaired, and required six months of OT, PT, and speech language pathology. She could not live alone, drive, balance her checkbook, shop, or cook -- all "activities of daily living" that she excelled at before entering the hospital. Before another outpatient surgery, we instructed the anesthesiologist, verbally and in writing, NOT to use fentanyl, as it was determined to be the ingredient that she was allergic to. They used it anyway. This time, despite arriving, walking, speaking and eating, she left the hospital a month later in a wheelchair, with a feeding tube, never again to speak, ambulate, or be independent! One should NEVER use it without first having a FULL allergic reaction assessment by a first-rate allergy reaction assessment clinic. Deeply Distraught Still."

Distraught Ph.D. daughter March 13, 2018

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "It kept coming off, even when I taped it to my shoulder. The breakthrough pain was not handled by this. I liked it as it didn’t directly go through my liver. Overall sense of well being, I.e. no pain and I could actually function well. 30mg 3 day for severe scoliosis, Sepsis after effects, degenerative L4 & L5, liver tumor (benign)."

jen0830 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2018

Duragesic (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "Best med in 24 years of chronic pain, I was on 75 mcg every 2 days, Florida heat diminishes medication. Only stopped when it went generic as J&J stopped sending Bioclusive Dressing to keep it on my body at No Cost otherwise would still be on it."

KenWoods (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 9, 2018

For Anesthesia: "Having had multiple surgeries at a young age I was used to ether I asked the anesthesiologist what he was using and he said fentynol I had a line in between my small finger and the next and when he put the chemical in it started burning and told him to wait it blew up like a little balloon on my hand balloon on my hand and I told him what whoa whoa whoa whoa it hurts and within 10 seconds I was out hand was swollen after surgery like a balloon and they replace the line for a bag later and it blew up like Popeye it achieved its purpose but the last thing I felt was Major!!!!!! Pain and burn from that shot !!!!"

Diane...pain from fentynol (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2018

For Chronic Pain: "Started the patch 5 days ago when first putting it on I felt really in and out and very tired then started feeling very heavy in my chest when changing the patch for the first time my heart raced started vomiting and chest was very tight and heavy I began to itch and burn on my stomach and back, but my pain was completely gone. It works very well for pain but I don’t like the side effects they are very scary. I’m calling my doctor to see if I can get on liquid norco because the only reason I’m using the patch is because I’m having trouble with food and fluids due to a gastric bypass stricture in my esophagus. I wouldn’t use unless you can fight through nasty side effects."

Crystaldp38 February 5, 2018

For Chronic Pain: "I was prescribed Fentanyl patches over a four month period while recovering from major surgery @75 mcg/hr. It was incredibly effective without fogging my mind up like oxycodone did. The only major side effects I didn’t like were having almost no appetite, frequent vomiting or dry heaves, and feeling unusually angry and mean-spirited. Withdrawals were pretty rough too, despite tapering down to 12.5 mcg/hr."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2018

For Pain: "I took Actiq 400 three days ago. ( I have taken it before) this time I had one which did nothing for the pain and 6 hours later another. OMG !! Never again the side effects are still there three days later, the shortness of breath is a particular issue. This is dangerous stuff if you must use it be very very careful"

womford (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2017

Fentanyl Transdermal System (fentanyl) for Chronic Pain: "I broke my back in 2002, 3 years later found out the break did not fuse and after 13 doctors finally found one that would do the operation (as I was cutting my own spinal cord with the broken bones in my back). My surgery was only supposed to be 5 hours but because of all the damage I did it turned into 15 hours. I was cut open from pubic bone over left hip right to spine, now I have 2 rods 4 plates and so many screws they lost count, no bad side effects for me but I wouldn't have a bowel movement for 10 days or so was my only problem. I was on 150 mcg/h"

24 Pain (taken for 10 years or more) December 10, 2017